Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NepsterLems  (Read 40575 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix] NepsterLems
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
 :8(): :8(): Welcome to NepsterLems - A big level pack with 111 challenges!  :8(): :8():

Right on time for the 25th anniversary of Lemmings, all my levels are finished, backrouted by the beta testers and fixed again. Have Fun!

Download link of version 2.0 for NeoLemmix V10.15.20 or later:
   https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkrqzojlfrwnen7/NepsterLems.zip?dl=1
If you want to have the old version 1.11 for NeoLemmix V10.13.18 or earlier, then you can still get it here:
  https://www.dropbox.com/s/1erpv2pyqjkxqe4/NepsterLems%20V1.11.nxp?dl=1

Rank 1: Comet (15 levels)

You always have 5 of each skill. The terrain usually gives you many options - and be sure to use them. Despite being the first rank, you will find only very few any-way-you-want levels.

Rank 2: Moon (15 levels)

Now it is up to 10 of each skill - and much more complex obstacles. Even more so than in the first rank, planning a general route at the beginning is advisable.

Rank 3: Planet (20 levels)

Ok, let's start with giving you less and less freedom to solve the levels. The first levels start around Tricky/Taxing difficulty, but soon progress to Mayhem.

Rank 4: Sun (20 levels)

Now you need more and more tricks, unusual combinations of skills, etc. However the solutions are not yet overly convoluted (main word being "overly").

Rank 5: Neutron Star (20 levels)

By now all the levels can easily compete in difficulty with late Mayhem or late Havoc. Be prepared to use non-linear approaches or (and?) heavy multitasking.

Rank 6: Black Hole (21 levels)

These levels should give headaches even to the greatest experts. Go and let the lemmings perform a complex dance on your screen!
Advice: Play the very last level as a save-as-many-as-you-can level. Even getting close to solving the level is a huge achievement!

Many thanks to...
- DMA Design for inventing the game Lemmings,
- Eric Langedijk for creating Lemmix, which was used to create most of the levels,
- namida for providing NeoLemmix, the FlexiToolkit and technical help,
- Akseli, DynaLem, IchoTolot and namida for pre-release testing,
- all other level designers for all their level ideas, that I reused in my levels,
- and everyone on LemmingsForums in general, for keeping Lemmings alive. It was you, more than anything else, that spawned the idea of NepsterLems in my head.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:23:41 PM by Nepster »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NepsterLems - Release thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »
Looks like I have sth to play through after my exam phase :thumbsup:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:58:22 AM »
Had a quick look at some of your levels in the pack. Some of those levels are just artistically brilliant, particularly Sun 9 and Planet 7. How did you manage to make some red blocks in the Fire set?!

I also tried the Black Hole rating, and managed to solve one of them! :laugh: I'm not usually well known for solving levels in the hardest difficulty rating, but thought this level looked clear enough what the solution might be. Here's Black Hole 18.

I think this is an excellent pack overall. I'll certainly be trying all of them out later in the day.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:36:50 AM »
How did you manage to make some red blocks in the Fire set?!
These are lots and lots or the red arrows with the non-red stuff erased and placed above each other with no-overwrite. If you want to study this in greater details: The player allows mass-dumping all levels with F4 on the main menu. Then load 0307.lvl into the editor.

Your solution to Black Hole 18 was introduced by the latest backroute-fix, because I forgot to remove one of the blockers. Still it is close enough to the intended solution to be acceptable.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm hugely looking forward to trying out this pack when I have time. Just one small point for now -- you clearly have an excellent ability for level aesthetics, so I'm sure there are many beautiful levels also in the Planet rating, and Minim has highlighted Planet 7 as an example. Why, then, use such an ugly level to advertise the rank? It really stands out from the others in this post.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »
Opinions on aesthetics differ, but seeing that Planet 7 is so popular...

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
Regarding the recent changes in game mechanics: I am fairly sure all levels remain solvable in V1.43, but I haven't yet confirmed this by updating all ~60 broken replays. As removing the deadly sides gimmick without replacement would force major backroute-fixes, I plan to check everything only after all currently discussed changes are either decided upon and (when applicable) implemented.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 10:02:52 PM »
:party:
awesome! I can't wait to try it out. --Don't expect a whole lot of replays since your levels are notoriously hard, but I plan to try and solve as many as I can.

These do all look very nice. Also I'm still curious to the intended solution to Devil's right hand... :-\

EDIT: started playing the first rank; really cool levels so far! and the music is really nice too. I particularly like "One small step for Lemkind". A very neat idea.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:39:42 AM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »
Finally some time to play it :)

Step 1 was today: Replay every broken replay again of everything I played earlier (because of the backroute fixes + new physics). And now everything is solved again :)

Hope I broke not too many levels ;)  (especially BH 20 for the 3rd time by now i think ???)

Zip file attached!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
Ok, the Sun rank has fallen 8-)

Some of the levels here I would consider harder than the beginning of BlackHole! It has really slowed down my progress in a good way :)

Esspecially the last level of the rank was very clever! :thumbsup:    The overall quality of levels is really really great here! :thumbsup:

Sometimes I would add a bit of extra decoration to the sides, but that is simply just my own style ;P 
As Simon said to me in our meetup: "Nepster hat Geschmack!"       And he is right! ;)

Replays attached!

Onto the last 2 ranks, where I will probably get stuck for a long time!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 08:27:15 PM »
Just found time to watch all your replays. Lots of great solutions there, but unfortunately still some backroutes as well. Will upload a new improved version soon. More detailed comments:

Comet and Moon (click to show/hide)

Planet (click to show/hide)

Sun (click to show/hide)

Neutron Star and Black Hole (click to show/hide)

I would like to encourage everyone else to either post their solutions here or send them to me by PM, even if you have only solved a few levels.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
Ok, uploaded another version which should have fixed the errors that the replay checker had not caught.

+ NS 4-6 + BH 5 added as a bonus ;)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
I finally managed to fix IchoTolot's backroutes (and a few others) and even brought all my replays up to date :laugh:. Version 1.1 is attached to the first post.
Levels that were modified: 3-4, 3-13, 3-16, 4-4, 4-7, 4-8, 4-9, 4-10, 4-18, 5-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-20.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »
My biggest hackjob of all time ;P      After getting really frustrated about Sun 7 :devil:

Replay attached!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
Ok next next bunch of replays :)

Included is everything up to Black Hole 13 + BH 20

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
Everything is currently solved except for   BH 14 + BH 21    :)

Replays attached!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
I updated NepsterLems, so that it stays solvable in new NeoLemmix versions (at least with high probability). This meant removing the deadly sides gimmick from all levels, which may or may not have introduced new backroutes in some levels when played with V1.43.

Apart from that I did fix a lot of IchoTolot's backroutes:
  3-16, 4-7, 4-8, 4-9,5-7, 5-8, 5-11, 5-12, 5-16, 5-18, 5-19, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-8, 6-9, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-17, 6-18, 6-19, 6-20
In addition to that, I replaced 4-15 by a completely new level. The old level had un-fixable backroutes and with the oncoming physics changes a few more easy backroutes will become possible. So a level from "Return of the Tribes" got moved here.

The following levels were solved by IchoTolot in a non-intended way, but the solutions were comparable in difficulty and beauty to the intended solutions, so they will stay:
  4-10, 4-11, 4-13, 4-18, 5-4, 5-13, 5-14, 5-15, 6-6, 6-15.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »
Alright, updated replays here 8-)

Everything solved except  BH  9 ,14 + 21

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:28 AM »
Here are some replays! Most of the levels are ones I've already beaten during testing, so I'm only posting those that may be backroutes.

Planet 3 "Another Miner Problem" - I have one miner left.
Planet 15 "A Stroll on the Lawn" - I'm left with one climber. Not sure if the climber is meant to be a decoy.
Planet 17 "Minor Obstacles" - this one looks like a major backroute. But, if this is the type of level that is meant to have multiple solutions, I would switch it with Planet 9 "Lemming Playground" since the latter really boggles my mind and it's a two-of-everything level.
Sun 4 "Sewer Lemmings" - might be a backroute since I am left with one blocker.
Sun 11 "It's hero time again!" - this one's definitely a backroute.
Neutron Star 5 "Silence on Earth" - this one is definitely one as well.

Overall, I can only beat the Comet, Moon, and almost all of the Planet levels. Other than that, it was a great experience testing this pack! It is extremely hard, but it really feels very rewarding once you beat the harder levels!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
IchoTolot: You have produced another 18 backroutes :(, though some of them start resembling the intended solution. At least Black Hole 19 (Devil's Right Hand) is essentially geoo's solution, thus completely acceptable. And I decided to accept you solution to Black Hole 17 (Everclimbing Lemming) as well, although it changes quite a bit regarding the order of the skill assignments and the way some obstacles are passed.

DynaLem:
- Planet 3: Intended solution. The other miner is only there to avoid the pixel precise placement in your solution.
- Planet 15: Another slight variation of the intended solution.
- Planet 17: This is a rather open-ended level. However I am not sure, if I want to keep your solution, as it looks quite a bit simpler than the ones I have seen until now. Switching it with Planet 9 might be a good idea nevertheless.
- Sun 4: Having a blocker spare is no problem at all.
- Sun 11: Yes, I have to fix this.
- Neutron Star 5: It is certainly not the intended solution. But given all the other alternative solution (that cannot be easily fixed), I decided to accept (almost) all solutions. So your solution is fine.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
Hmmmm...I'd switch Sun 4 with either Planet 14 "Just a quickie!" or Planet 18 "Divorce" then. Planet 14 is difficult - a 30-second level with a one-of-everything skillset and a 99 release rate, all of which make it feel like an early-Sun level. Divorce could also work in Sun because it's a big level with so many obstacles and LOTS of planning that it also boggles my mind. Note that Sun 4 is the only Sun level I've beaten. You could maybe do a three-way switch:
Sun 4 --> Planet 14 --> Planet 18 --> Sun 4

I would also put Neutron Star 5 in an earlier rank - maybe Planet.

Also, forgot one more replay - a backroute to Sun 1 "Five do not survive". Had to reproduce this one since the other replay is in another computer.

EDIT: And Neutron Star 8 "Three Little Lemmings", which is also likely a backroute.
EDIT 2:Here's Neutron Star 14 "I smell something rotten here...", also a backroute.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:55:02 PM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »
Uploaded NepsterLems V1.3 with backroute fixes for the following levels:
  3-16, 3-17, 4-1, 4-9, 4-11, 4-15, 5-7, 5-8, 5-11, 5-19, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-8, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-18, 6-20
Some levels got swapped as suggested by DynaLem and IchoTolot (though not always in precisely the manner they suggested).

V1.3 fixes as well DynaLems backroutes to "Five do not survive" and "Three Little Lemmings". I only saw the latest edit right now, so "I smell something rotten here..." will only get fixed in V1.4 (assuming it is indeed a backroute).

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
Just want to point out that NepsterLems is still displayed as version 1.2 in the main post.

Forgot to mention a Comet switch suggestion:
Comet 12 "Neighbour Help" is way too hard for its position (I'd say second-hardest to Ninjas in the Attic), while Comet 13 "Underground Labyrinth"and Comet 14 "Curiosity", the solutions stand out more. This level also really feels like the level that would work towards very-late Comet. So, a three-way switch would work:
Comet 12 --> Comet 14 --> Comet 13 --> Comet 12

Planet 5 "Earth Cube" should be switched with Planet 8 "Fifty-one steps to heaven," if my replay to Planet 8 is not a backroute. I feel Planet 8 is the type that has multiple solutions and it stands out more than Planet 5's.

Also, how's this solution to Planet 9 "Minor Obstacles"?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
Uploaded NepsterLems V1.3 with backroute fixes for the following levels:
  3-16, 3-17, 4-1, 4-9, 4-11, 4-15, 5-7, 5-8, 5-11, 5-19, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-8, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-18, 6-20
Some levels got swapped as suggested by DynaLem and IchoTolot (though not always in precisely the manner they suggested).

V1.3 fixes as well DynaLems backroutes to "Five do not survive" and "Three Little Lemmings". I only saw the latest edit right now, so "I smell something rotten here..." will only get fixed in V1.4 (assuming it is indeed a backroute).

Which levels exactly were swapped?

Could you write a changelog for this here as well, so that I can simply just swap the replay names in my folder ----> fixing replays again would be a lot easier this way ;P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Which levels exactly were swapped?

Could you write a changelog for this here as well, so that I can simply just swap the replay names in my folder ----> fixing replays again would be a lot easier this way ;P
If you download NepsterLems via the download link in the first post, you always get the current ChangeLog.txt as well, where you can find more details about all the changes, including swapped positions. For V1.2 -> V.13 the changed positions are
  3-9 <-> 3-17
  3-14 <-> 4-4
  4-9 <-> 5-5
  5-18 <-> 6-4

DynaLem: I prefer not to make position changes, if it is just moving a level two positions later. This is just too much work for everyone updating their replays to new positions. I will make a note about Planet 5 vs. 8 though, but unless I change a few other level positions as well, these levels will likely stay at their current positions now.

PS: Your solution to "I smell something rotten here..." is indeed a backroute.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:54 AM »
Just downloaded the latest version and will start doing a video playthrough soon.

One thing - the music pack won't work unless the filename of the music pack matches that of the NXP (- ".nxp", + "_music.dat", not case sensitive). So, either the NXP should be "NepsterLems.nxp" or the music pack should be "NepsterLems V1.3_Music.dat".

EDIT: A heads up to anyone else playing this pack and intending to record - don't use the custom music, as many tracks are flagged for copyright by Youtube; most just cause "Not available in Germany", but at least one outright causes the entire video's audio to be muted. A shame really, because there's some very nice music in here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:10:48 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
Interesting to hear that, especially as you pointed out in IRC that the music to level 12 in rank 1 is one of the main offenders: It is the part "Quam olim Abrahae" of Bruckner's requiem in d-minor, which was written 167 years ago. I really thought it would no longer be copyrighted...
Given this info I will probably change my plans and stick to the usual tunes instead of using some works by Chopin and Dvorak for future level packs.

PS to everyone making video playthroughs: Please save your replays and send them to me. I find it much more convenient and faster to check replays via replay files instead of watching videos on youtube.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 04:10:31 AM »
It is the part "Quam olim Abrahae" of Bruckner's requiem in d-minor, which was written 167 years ago. I really thought it would no longer be copyrighted...

The music itself wouldn't be, but the specific performance of it could be.

PS to everyone making video playthroughs: Please save your replays and send them to me. I find it much more convenient and faster to check replays via replay files instead of watching videos on youtube.

I have replay auto-saving on, so I'll be able to send you these too. Do you want them as I complete them, or in one go when I finish (or maybe as I finish each rank)?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
Perhaps, though the recodings are anything but recent. Anyway, to be on the safe side, I removed the music pack from any download.

I have replay auto-saving on, so I'll be able to send you these too. Do you want them as I complete them, or in one go when I finish (or maybe as I finish each rank)?
Whenever you think sending me the replays makes sense.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »
Perhaps, though the recodings are anything but recent. Anyway, to be on the safe side, I removed the music pack from any download.

Whenever you think sending me the replays makes sense.

Re: music pack; Unless we actually receive a complaint of some kind (unlikely), I'm not going to remove the link or insist you don't post them here just because Youtube flags them in videos. Of course, if you want to do so to err on the side of caution for your own sake, then that may indeed be the safer option. Regarding that specific track, from what I can gather the recording is from 1987, so probably old enough that legal trouble is unlikely in practice, but definitely new enough to be covered by copyright.

Re: Replays, I'll send them as I finish each rank then. I'll PM you the Comet ones now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:07:42 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
Everything again solved except for   BH 14+ 21   ;P

I will again upload my whole folder, because of the switching around levels and fixing earlier ones which I did not backroute on top, I am not sure anymore which I had to replay again :P

When the fix list gets hopefully smaller with the next patches, I will switch up to upload only the levels I had to replay again (sry for now Nepster :laugh:)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »
I will again upload my whole folder, because of the switching around levels and fixing earlier ones which I did not backroute on top, I am not sure anymore which I had to replay again :P

Use the mass replay tester against your old folder! ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »

Use the mass replay tester against your old folder! ;)

Well, I overwrote the old stuff  with the new :P   I am not keeping that amount of replays.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
Seeing namida also had bigger problems with Sun 7 -----> swap it with BH 1 at least!     Now I have the proof that I wasn't just braindead back when I played it. ;P

Sun 7 is quite harder than a bunch of BH levels in my opinion + I am continuing to mention that, but BH 1 is way too easy for the last rank :8():

So Sun 7 should 100% go up there!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
And once again an updated version:
1) Backroute fixes to: 3-4, 3-5, 3-16, 3-20, 5-7, 5-8, 5-14, 6-3, 6-9, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-20
2) Added 14 talismans:
  • Comet 5: Save every lemming using only 10 skills in total. (Bronze)
  • Comet 10: Solve the level using at most 3 of each skill. (Bronze)
  • Comet 13: Solve the level using only 1 miner. (Bronze)
  • Moon 8: Save every lemming. (Bronze)
  • Planet 9: Save 19 out of 20 lemmings. (Bronze)
  • Planet 10: Save every lemming. (Bronze)
  • Comet 3: Solve the level in 30 seconds. (Silver)
  • Comet 7: Save every lemming. (Silver)
  • Comet 15: Save every lemming. (Silver)
  • Moon 12: Solve the level using only 2 builders. (Silver)
  • Moon 15: Solve the level using at most 9 of each skill. (Silver)
  • Moon 10: Save 94 out of 100 lemmings. (Gold)
  • Neutron Star 14: Solve the level using only 2 bashers. (Gold)
  • Black Hole 21: Solve Final Frustration using only 100 skills in total. (Gold) [Sorry, I just couldn't resist...]

The suggestion to swap Sun 7 and Black Hole 1 is noted, and a change like that will likely occur in one of the future updates.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
Alright, played again today and everything is now solved except for BH 21, which I not even tried yet :P     
Finally BH 14 has fallen and I cant believe it took so long to see that (once you saw it) really simple trick.

All replays attached, all working with the stable NL version +NepsterLems 1.4.

The replays that needed replaying should be consistant with Nepsters fix list and I think I found even more backroutes :devil:

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
Here are some more replays! I've attempted some of the talismans. I'd say that Comet 13 "The Underground Labyrinth" is the most clever one you've made! :thumbsup: Moon 8 "Burning Shadows" was also very challenging.

Moon 10 "Lots of small tasks" is an attempt.

Sun 5 "Blast the Lemmings" should be a backroute. Not sure about my solutions to Sun 17 "Dirt Runner" and Neutron Star 15 "Poor Wee Creatures - Twin Edition".

I haven't beaten Comet 3's (Don't Cross Me!) talisman yet, but when I hit the button to exit the level, for some reason I got the talisman. I didn't save a replay for that one.

By the way, in the Talisman screen, it says Neutron Star 5, but in your 1.4 update post it says Neutron Star 14. Which Neutron Star level are you referring to?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
Warning! Great self praising incomming! ;P

So tried BH 21 today and after a lot of tries........... Who's da man! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Solved BH 21 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great level! The struggle to get those last destructive skills is maddening! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's my type of level ;)   Is the music track from Metal Gear Rising Revengence? Greatly helped me not giving up and pushed me forward :)

So with the current version I can proudly say: NepsterLems solved! 8-) (at least until the next fix for the few backrouted levels comes out)

Some stats of my replay:

Time ~ 21mins

Skills used:

19 Climbers

19 Floaters

6 Blockers

20 Builders

20 Bashers

20 Miners

20 Diggers

114 Skills total  (Great potential to save a lot of Athletes and maybe some Blockers)

Replay Attached!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »
That replay is quite simply, Nicht zu fassen! Over 20 minutes of clever skill usage. Looking at that it seems like you did all that in one try! :lem-shocked:

I declare for now that BH 21 is the greatest level ever created, and that IchoTolot is the greatest level solver ever. :thumbsup: Well done to both of you!
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »
That replay is quite simply, Nicht zu fassen! Over 20 minutes of clever skill usage. Looking at that it seems like you did all that in one try! :lem-shocked:

I declare for now that BH 21 is the greatest level ever created, and that IchoTolot is the greatest level solver ever. :thumbsup: Well done to both of you!

Well thanks for the compliment :)

Rewatching this there are quite a few ways to save some skills, especially in the first part. Nepster told me that I quite altered the solution there (100% expected in such a level :P) and I begin to see some ways of optimising processes (saving some destuctive skills mainly   freeing that first blocker + the first ascend are a bit suboptimal). So it's far from perfect, but it gets the 100% + letting Nepster see that the 100 skill solution can be cut down to 95 ;)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 08:18:58 PM »
Here the new version V1.5 which fixes backroutes by IchoTolot, namida and Wafflem for levels:
  4-1, 4-5, 4-8, 4-11, 4-12, 4-13, 4-16, 5-7, 5-15, 6-3, 6-9, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-20
Moreover the talismans in V1.4 did not check the save requirement properly, which is fixed now. Thanks to Wafflem for noticing a typo in the talisman descriptions: Only Neutron Star 14 has a talisman, not Neutron Star 5.

Solved BH 21 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations to an amazing solution! :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Didn't play the last week to solve BH 9+11 again, but I am uploading my replays in advance to allow you to fix the others in the meantime.

4-1, 4-5, 4-8, 4-11, 4-12, 4-13, 4-16, 5-7, 5-15, 6-3, (6-9, 6-11), 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-20

must/should be checked again by you.

Will try BH 9+11 probably again with the next patch, but me not instantly solving them might be a good sign here ;)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 02:14:18 PM »
And we have reached version 1.6. Two main changes were made:
1) Backroute-fixes for 3-6, 5-2, 6-3, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-20.
2) Removed some exploders: Apart from X-of-all level (first two ranks and Final Frustration), the number of exploder now never exceeds the number of lemmings that may die in the level.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
Fixed up all replays again today except for BH 9 + 11 which I did not try again yet (aren't really my favorites to play on top of that :P).

So the levels changed in the last patch should be checked again and I think I got a few more intended now as I really have a strong feeling that this MUST be intended! :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 07:20:01 PM »
Comments on IchoTolot's new solutions:
 6-3 (Rule of One): Very nice and clever solution. I consider this acceptable, even though it completely misses the main trick of the intended solution. :P
 6-13 (Another Generic Title): Slight variation of the intended solution.
 6-12, 6-16 and 6-20: Backroutes (as you probably guessed).

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »
BH 9 + 11 solved once more! 8-)

That makes the pack completely solved again in the current version, but as Nepster already mentioned 12, 16, 20 + probably 11 still need fixing and therefore more solving ;P

Replays attached.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
Version 1.7 is available. It contains (as predicted by IchoTolot) another round of changes for levels 6-11, 6-12, 6-16 and 6-20.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
Alright, fixed them up again and I feel like most of them are intended now (but hell what do I know :P).

Maybe BH 16 is not quite there yet.

BH 11 seems backrouted again :XD:

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
V1.8: Updated to NeoLemmix V1.47 and backroute-fixes for levels 5-7, 5-8, 5-9, 6-11, 6-16 and 6-20.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 12:43:08 AM »
Solved a few levels in a quick session again today :)

BH 20 and 11 are still to go though. I really don't like BH 11 :P

NS 9 did not break for me.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
And BH 20 is also solved again 8-)

This must be intended this time! I have a feeling! ;P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
BH 11 has fallen again.

But now everything looks and plays a bit like a hackjob on this though :P

I suspect another backroute.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NepsterLems
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »
After 4 months of hiatus, here a new updated version of NepsterLems:
- Updated to the newest player version V10.12.12.
- Backroute fixes for levels: 3-7, 5-10, 5-11, 6-15 (formerly 6-11), 6-19 (formerly 6-16)
- A bit of reordering: 5-12 <-> 6-1; 6-7  <-> 6-17; 6-11 <-> 6-15; 6-16 <-> 6-19

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 01:40:48 AM »
here are three replays for the Planet rank. One may be a backroute.

Oh, I apologize but I was using 1.8, because the music wasn't working on 1.9 . You'll need to tell me what to do again to fix that.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
Time for an update to version 1.10:
- Backroute fixes to Divorce, HangLem and One Minute of Action.
- Fixed talisman condition for Something Rotten.

Moreover I added a description how to get the music pack working to the first post.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
Time for an update to version 1.10:
- Backroute fixes to Divorce, HangLem and One Minute of Action.

Time for more backroutes for HangLem and One Minute of Action as well :evil:

Hanglem is looking more and more like swiss cheese filled with spike traps :P    Maybe consider altering the intended solution to make the level(s) fixable or change the swiss cheese effect. I can assure you that at least Hanglem I would still consider as extremly hard in this stage with my solution!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2017, 09:28:34 PM »
Time for a new version V1.11:
- Backroute fixes to 5-19, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-15, 6-19
- 15 levels with reduced number of lemmings (mostly changed from 50-80 to 20)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
Here are my updated replays. Including new solution to BH 2 and 5 :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2017, 08:24:48 PM »
The first post contains now a download link to the new-formats version of NepsterLems.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
Okay, I didn't expect to find any remaining backroutes in this old classic, but apparently I may have done just that. This is for the version 1.11 before the last update, but I didn't get to ranks 4-6 yet anyway. Here's how far I've got (roughly up to the end of Planet, with skipping some levels in between):

Some single level remarks:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »
Thanks a lot. :thumbsup: Among the first two ranks there are a lot of alternative solutions, that I haven't seen before.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:48:01 PM by Nepster »

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply! So is Jump in the Ring a backroute, then? (Since I don't know the intended solution, I'm not sure whether you could change any of the skills to prevent what I have done. ;) )

I'm always checking back with namida's old LP of your pack, because I enjoy commentated LPs more than just replay files. However, he of course had more backroutes available, among them "The Block-Store" and "Pillar of Lemkind". I tried his backroute on "The Block-Store" and saw that you removed it, just like you shortened the broken pillar in Pillar of Lemkind so that one can't just simply bash straight to the right anymore.

I'll have to see at which point in your pack IchoTolot has arrived in the meantime :) .

PS: That's the planet rank you're referring to, not the moon rank :P .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply! So is Jump in the Ring a backroute, then? (Since I don't know the intended solution, I'm not sure whether you could change any of the skills to prevent what I have done. ;) )
I wouldn't call it a backroute, just an overcomplicated one. Anyway, there is basically no way to remove it, even if I wanted to.

I'll have to see at which point in your pack IchoTolot has arrived in the meantime :) .
He was already a beta-tester, but recorded his solutions only later.

PS: That's the planet rank you're referring to, not the moon rank :P .
Thanks. Fixed.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
I waited for my solutions to be uploaded until they were all acceptable. That means no backroutes and alternative solutions at most. :)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
Now I'm just curious: Is that the alternate NL-route to "A Study in Scarlet" Simon spoke of? It seems quite precise and I never could get it to work in the Lix-version. (Played with pack v. 2.0 and NL v. 11.15.24)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:59:18 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
Yes, everything correct: This is the alternative solution in the NeoLemmix version, it is rather precise, and it doesn't work in the Lix version.

PS: I will look into your NepsterLix replays over the next few days.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2017, 04:01:17 AM »
I just want to jump in here and say that Forestidia86's solution was actually the first solution I found to "A Study in Scarlet". I didn't even know the other solution existed to be honest. It's still one of my favorites not only because of the aesthetics but because it's an excellent puzzle level and was my first real head scratcher.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Sorry that I'm posting again just one solution but I'm just curious if it is intended.

Sun 8 - "Minimalistic Platforms" - Nepsterlems v. 2.0, played with NL player v. 12.01.00

Edit:
I looked at the Lix replay from the replay collection and it seems my solution is indeed intended. I actually don't know why it is ranked so high compared to the difficulty of the other levels. But it is harder and tighter to pull off in Nepsterlems I have to admit.
Sorry, Nepster, for bothering you with it basically twice.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:50:47 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
I think I may have backrouted this Black Hole level.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »
I have completed the Comet rank.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
I have completed the Moon rank.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
I have completed the Planet rank.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
I have completed the Sun rank.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »
I have completed the Neutron Star rank.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
I have completed the Black Hole rank.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
Another pack I'm revisiting now in new formats, I beta tested NepsterLems in January 2016 and played it to some extent after the initial release if I'm deriving my replay time stamps correctly. Now after loads of backroute fixes I've solved 79/111, replays attached. This is the first time I played Moon levels 7-15, they looked a bit daunting at first but turned out to be a lot nicer in the end. I didn't attempt Black Hole levels, because I have still 12 levels unsolved before that final rating, but I still thought of dropping my solutions at this point so they're at least saved here in the forums before my hard drive dies or something. :b

Levels I suspect backrouting: Planet 16: Dying Dream, Neutron Star 10: Broken Pillars, Neutron Star 16: On the Edge of Death

Not quite sure about even some early Planet levels, I'm interested to hear about my solutions when the time comes.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Okay, I revisited just the final level (Black Hole 21) - pretty much exactly one year after my first attempt - after having been told by Nepster that he doesn't consider it a "good level" (anymore? ;) ) and about his philosophy having changed.

I actually think it's pretty genious - there's always even more skills which are locked in the place where they have to be used than one would think :thumbsup: . As far as X-of-everything levels are concerned, this is as good as they're going to get!

The only thing that makes it "not a good level" is the RIDICULOUS pixel precision required all over it! :devil:

I've attached to replays, both centered around the core issue of how to deal with the pillars at the exit. As far as I can tell, I did exactly what IchoTolot did at this place...

I know from my own levels that pixel precision can be unintended, but in the last level of a pack, I doubt it ;) . Since this is the type of pixel precision that can prevent a solution from being successful even when it's conceptually correct, I have to object to IchoTolot's praise of this level as a prime example of "fair" difficulty.
My packs so far:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
Since this is the type of pixel precision that can prevent a solution from being successful even when it's conceptually correct, I have to object to IchoTolot's praise of this level as a prime example of "fair" difficulty.

I think you don't understand what I personally define as "fair".

Pixel precision is fair, even if you have to rewind all of the level due to an unprecise mistake. Is it good? Certainly not, we want to prevent these things.
Is a timer unfair that cuts tons of solutions of by 1 second? No, but it's still bad.

I call levels unfair that actively hide stuff from the players eye. Hidden traps, hidden pick-up-skills etc.

Overall my praise to the level partly comes from a developed automated optimisation playstyle. Over the years I got used to automatically find and go for an ~optimal route, purely in terms of reaching the goal. This isn't always the intended one of course and it's only optimal in my current view of the level.
That way I don't mind having to do a bunch of very precise actions, as a bunch of them I do intuitively.
Does it anger me when I have to rewind a lot? Yes and I will criticise it.
Does it anger me when there is an excessive ammount of very precise actions? At some threshhold yes and I will point that out.

Also I learned to use the things at my disposal (skill shadows, save-states) to nullify the precision and rewinding to an ammount. Well placed save-states at critical points in time and making good use of replay insert can help quite a bit.

It's also the general layout of the level that made me forgive the faults and I can highly advertise those for your huge levels:
- Mostly contained crowds (only 1 active crowd would be optimal and if there are more active ones let them be close)
- No timer
- No extensive need for multitasking
- You only have to watch 1 area at the same time. --> less scrolling
These traits fit for this level, therefore making me forgive the precision.

In the end I just loved puzzeling my way through this level while doing stuff as optimised as possible.
+ The fact that it's the last boss level of a very difficult pack makes me somewhat more forgiving, but still there is a threshhold for that. ;)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
It's also the general layout of the level that made me forgive the faults and I can highly advertise those for your huge levels:
- Mostly contained crowds (only 1 active crowd would be optimal and if there are more active ones let them be close)
- No timer
- No extensive need for multitasking
- You only have to watch 1 area at the same time. --> less scrolling
These traits fit for this level, therefore making me forgive the precision.

Thanks for the advice! ;) All those things happen to be the case for most of my levels from Lemmings World Tour already, though. Of course, the players are always free to bring multitasking on themselves :D , but especially in "The Grand Puzzle", which took a lot of inspirations from "Final Frustration", the crowds are usually easily containable as well. Contrary to late Mayhem levels, it's not that there aren't enough blockers to contain all the different crowds - it's the question of how to free all those blockers in the end again, because everyone has to be saved (or, in case of "The Grand Puzzle", you're only allowed 1 death).

That's also the reason why attempting a level like "Final Frustration" is more fun to me than timing-based levels with deliberately oddly-shaped terrain where crowd control is next to impossible.

Still, the rewinding is mainly a pain in combination with the overall duration of the level. It's not the duration per se, nor is it the fact of having to rewind due to pixel precision, but the combination of both makes things exponentially worse ;) . With every restart, you're sitting there for quite a while holding down the space bar until you arrive back at the time stamp your currently working on. Or you're asking yourself "What's faster at this point - rewinding in 1-second-steps, or starting from the beginning in 10-second-steps?" :D

I already saved several replays manually (since the two I attached were ultimately not successful, i.e. not automatically saved). Replay editing helps, but at one point when I edited out a specific skill and left the rest as it was, a builder still ended up being misplaced.
My packs so far:

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2018, 05:20:43 PM »
I actually think it's pretty genious - there's always even more skills which are locked in the place where they have to be used than one would think :thumbsup: . As far as X-of-everything levels are concerned, this is as good as they're going to get!
I am very happy you liked the level. But that doesn't alter the fact, that my own taste changed...

The only thing that makes it "not a good level" is the RIDICULOUS pixel precision required all over it! :devil:
Sorry, but most of the precision is self-inflicted.
1) There is actually not a single place, where lemmings have to step up more than 4 pixels, as long as you don't care about the talisman.
2) There is actually no fall, that requires something close to the maximal fall height.
3) While basher-digger-staircases do help, my own solution uses just two steps like this.
4) Given that the miner-shadows now take blockers into account, placing them to free blockers is fairly easy.
Yes, of course you can do all of that, but removing the possibility of doing this (or at least trying to do) is simply beyond my designing skills in such a 20-of-everything level.

I've attached to replays, both centered around the core issue of how to deal with the pillars at the exit. As far as I can tell, I did exactly what IchoTolot did at this place...

I know from my own levels that pixel precision can be unintended, but in the last level of a pack, I doubt it ;).
Pixel precision is never put there on purpose. It might be, that I simply couldn't avoid it or that I failed miserably to discourage pixel-precise attempts. But I certainly never left it in there, just to make the level harder or to annoy my players - and for this it doesn't make any difference, whether the level is the very first or very last level in the pack.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2018, 05:52:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Nepster! ;)

My packs so far:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2020, 05:27:43 AM »
Currently playing through this levelpack. Finished the first 3 ranks and currently on Sun 4. Wow, what mind-boggling levels. Making slow but steady progress. If it already gets this difficult at the beginning of Sun, I can't imagine how difficult the last two ranks will be. As a matter of fact, Planet 13 managed to stump me and I took a break from the pack for a few weeks before coming back to the pack today and managing to beat the level in an unusually fiddly way. Replay attached.

Also curious with the attached image of Sun 2, the first Tomb Raider level. This also applies to Sun 3, as it's the exact same level but with one extra builder and one less basher. I was able to solve both levels before watching Icho's replays, but in both levels, the arrows on the OWWs are pointing in the wrong direction. I got so confused why I couldn't bash in the direction of the arrows, but it does work when I bash against the direction shown, so I was still able to solve Sun 2. When I watched Icho's replay of Sun 2, the arrows are pointing in the correct direction, so it turns out that the direction of the arrows are shown incorrectly when I played through the level. This is v2 in Neolemmix 12.8.2. The engine told me updates to styles were available today and to update them via the style manager, which I did do earlier today by clicking on Update All. If it's due to an update, not sure why it would be the cause. Can someone else check if this level also has the arrows pointing in the wrong direction? If so, then I'll know that I'm the only one who has the problem.

Edit: Just checked Sun 2 today and it seems the arrows are now displayed properly when playing the level. So, was it something with the level or was it just me? Come to think of it, I did restart my computer several times between the time of this post and just before today, so maybe that fixed it? Also, I just checked the marble levels from earlier in the pack and the arrows on the OWWs are correct, and I'm not close to finishing the pack, but most likely the arrows are fine in the rest of the pack.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:30:17 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
Unreal! I have finally beaten Sun 7 - Scrap the Builders from Nepsterlems, the level I was stuck on for a really long time! Until now, I had beaten every level up to Sun 7. See attached replay. According to the date of this replay and the date of the previous level, I was stuck on Sun 7 just a little over 5 months, which is an additional month longer than the time I was stuck on Neutrality 41 of United. Oh well, I finally solved this extremely brutal level.

My first impression from the save 30 out of 40 lemmings requirement was "can lose up to 10? That's pretty generous." However, as it turns out it's not generous at all, as there's literally no room for error on the level. Besides figuring out how to get the bottom crowd up, the hardest part for me was avoiding losing so many to the needle traps, as they just trigger way too fast. For the very first time last night, I finally figured out how to get both the top and bottom crowds to the exit, only to find to my disappointment that I was 4 short of the requirement. I fiddled around and tweaked my solution a bit and by adjusting a miner assignment going in the other direction, I was able to do 1 better, but it was still a no solve. I was wondering that I don't think I can improve my result any further without losing too many to the needle traps on either side, but I decided to call it a night. I almost wanted to give up and probably attach my best replays for namida and Icho to see and possibly ask for a hint. Just before I dozed off in bed, I was literally thinking that the needle traps are evil and thought why did Nepster have to include them when the level is already really hard anyway. If they weren't there, I already would had passed the level. Then again, it would make the level a lot easier instead of it being very difficult to the extreme, so why remove them?

Determined not to give up, I just took another look at the level and had another go at it starting an hour ago. I realized that I can indeed improve my result.

In any case, now that I finally managed to solve the level after 5 months and how I struggled tremendously with it, I'm in absolute agreement with namida and Icho that Sun 7 is way too hard for its position. In addition, so far I've been struggling a lot with all the Sun levels, so if the rank has been really difficult for me since the start, I can't imagine how much trouble I'll have in the Neutron Star and Black Hole ratings when I get to them.

Well, as I got up really early, I'm quite tired, so I'm off to bed some more before proceeding onward with the pack. At least I can sleep satisfactorily now knowing that I finally beat Sun 7. In the meantime, I'll be watching namida's and Icho's Youtube video solution of the level to compare mine with theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »
Yes, I just watched the replay on Scrap the builders. The replay I Have shows that 32 of 40 were saved, so 2 over the requirement. Also Yes I can see that being out of place.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »
In addition, so far I've been struggling a lot with all the Sun levels, so if the rank has been really difficult for me since the start, I can't imagine how much trouble I'll have in the Neutron Star and Black Hole ratings when I get to them.

In my experience the pack gets to the hard stuff very quickly, but it doesn't get too much harder once you got over the shock. Don't get me wrong, it still gets harder and there are 100% really hard nuts in the last 2 ranks, but compared to other packs the difficulty curve is a lot flatter. Well, at least in my experience. :P

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »
I just watched the replays that are available for Sun 7. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA as expected, out of all the solutions I've seen, mine is the most difficult of all, as well as the most unintuitive. So far, mine is the only one that goes through the area with the needle traps. On top of all that, aside from two of the blockers, every assignment needs extreme pixel precision and is extremely timing heavy and dependent. Seriously, why do I persist with finding such very difficult solutions for hard levels? In addition, mine meets the save requirement exactly, while all the rest managed to go over it, with the best one being 4 over by Icho. Icho's and josh's are pretty much the same, although the latter lost two lemmings to the bottomless pit because he forgot to place blockers. Ok, forget what I said about the save requirement not being very generous. After watching Icho's solution, I instantly went "oh gosh, I can't believe I never ever saw that. So much easier and cleaner." At the same time, I think regardless of the solution you use, none are particularly easy or trivial to find. Especially with namida's, I never would had come up with using a

In my experience the pack gets to the hard stuff very quickly, but it doesn't get too much harder once you got over the shock. Don't get me wrong, it still gets harder and there are 100% really hard nuts in the last 2 ranks, but compared to other packs the difficulty curve is a lot flatter. Well, at least in my experience. :P

Thanks for the input. That's reassuring ;) Maybe it won't be so bad then, but that remains to be seen for me.

Anyway, it was cool to see other solutions to this very brutal level. Onward for me in a few hours.   

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2020, 06:22:42 AM »
All rightie, after 5 months the Sun rank has finally fallen. Replays attached up through the Sun rank. Up to this point in the pack, I have to say the most difficult levels so far for me were Planet 13 - 50% is not enough!, Sun 7 - Scrap the Builders, Sun 12 - Death of a Working Lemming and Sun 20 - Empty Walls, although the last two were nowhere near as hard as the brutal Sun 7. I thought both Sun 12 and Sun 20 were hard due to the fact that the solutions in each one are difficult to spot, with the latter the way more difficult one. Also, I thought that the levels after the extremely brutal Sun 7 were much easier, although I guess the level immediately after, Sun 8 - Minimalistic Platforms was somewhat hard, but since there's only 2 different skills, a blocker and 5 builders, it's tricky more than difficult given the timing.

In particular, the 1-of-everything levels in this rank, Sun 4 - Just a Quickie!, Sun 11 - It's Hero Time Again!, and Sun 20 really stand out as being difficult, with Sun 4 probably the most difficult of the three due to the extremely strict time limit, only 30 seconds. Without it, it's a really easy level, but the time limit really ramps up the difficulty considerably. Of course, in Dos and Lemmini this isn't a problem, as the amount of minutes can only be an integer, which means it has to be given at least a 1 minute time limit in those engines.

I've noticed that a lot of the levels in the Sun rank were small in size, being only about a screen wide, but they were still hard levels. It goes to show that small levels may look easy in appearance, but they can be surprisingly hard. Indeed, don't expect to solve through the pack very quickly! The levels get hard starting with the Planet rank, and they get harder really fast. The Planet rank is the first rank after the X-of-everything levels in the Comet and Moon ranks, 5-of-everything in the former rank, 10-of-everything in the latter rank. Even the other levels I didn't list were challenges, and my progress slowed considerably starting in the Planet rank.

In any case, after I solved the Sun levels on my own, I compared my solutions to those of Icho's on Youtube. I find it quite amusing that in almost every level in the rank, I was able to save a skill(s), while Icho used all of them. For example, in Sun 9 - Silence on Earth, I have a blocker leftover, Sun 11 I have a floater leftover, Sun 13 - Cannonballs in the Air I have a bomber leftover, Sun 15 - Revival of the Lost I have a blocker leftover, Sun 16 - The Marble Temple I have two miners leftover, and Sun 18 -Five Survive, I have a climber leftover. That's 6 levels where I did better in skill usage. I swear, I wasn't even trying to be more efficient in my solutions than Icho was. I couldn't be, since I only watch solution videos after I beat the level first, so I was quite surprised I ended up saving skills on many levels compared to him in the Sun rank. On the flip side, he was much better in skill usage than me on both Sun 10 - We All Dig Down! and Sun 19 - Just a random heap of junk!. I especially love his solution to Sun 7. It's definitely the easiest and cleanest solution I've seen to the level which escaped me completely. I think Sun 20 was the only level after Sun 7 where we had the exact same solution.

Finally, Icho's solution to Sun 4 might not work (key word: might) in the current NL version, since lemmings no longer can exit when the time limit runs out. In it, the last lemming exits exactly when the timer hits 0. So, I got to say that my solution is more efficient in that I have 3 seconds left on the clock, although it's not a trivial solution at all. Also, in Sun 12, I managed to save an extra.

edit: I just watched Icho's replay. Yup, the timer hits 0 at the exact moment the last lemming finishes exiting (easiest way is for the last lemming to exit and then use the N key until you hear the ringing alarm), but the game still gave him the credit for passing the level. Wow, imagine if it was one frame too late instead.

Well, onto the Neutron Star rank, the second to last rank of the pack. Already nervous about what the rank has in store, particularly if the Sun rank was any indication. In particular, every level up to Sun 7, inclusive, were all difficult and tricky, while the levels after Sun 7 generally got a bit easier, although not by much. Here goes nothing! 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:31:29 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2020, 06:59:38 AM »
Good job Kaywhyn passing Sun 7, even though I have all the replays for NepsterLems I still downloaded yours(I always like to compare yours to others). I looked at your solution for Sun 7, It's quite a bit different than the one I have. Also the one I had saved 32 instead of 30, but I tweeked the one I had so now it saves 4 over the required, since the replay I had 2 were lost that shouldn't have been lost.

Now since you passed Sun 7, here is the solution I have for it.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »
Hey eric, I know you appreciate replays from me for the pack even though you already have a complete set. I, too, love to compare my solutions to others. Most of the time, I seem to have made the solution more difficult than was necessary. I think I know which solution you're referring to. josh's solution is the one that loses two lemmings unnecessarily. I guess he forgot to block at the ends at the top and bottom. And yes, mine is completely different in that mine is the only one that goes through the needle trap area. Not only that, mine is the most difficult solution because it is completely timing dependent. Bash too early and you won't be able to release the blocker with a digger and mine out the bottom crowd. Bash too late and same thing. Similarly, put the first miner even slightly earlier or later and you won't be able to rescue the bottom crowd. Obviously, I don't recommend anyone my solution for Sun 7 other than maybe a "wow, this person has a crazy solution for Sun 7" reaction. It is still a wonder how the much easier solutions managed to escape me on that level.

As usual, be on the lookout for when I post my Neutron Star and Black Hole replays when I finish each rank.   

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »

Finally, Icho's solution to Sun 4 might not work (key word: might) in the current NL version, since lemmings no longer can exit when the time limit runs out.

That makes no difference. Lemmings that enter after the timer went down did not count before. I also can confirm that my replay still works.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
That makes no difference. Lemmings that enter after the timer went down did not count before. I also can confirm that my replay still works.

Yea, I made an edit to my post before you posted this :P

edit: I just watched Icho's replay. Yup, the timer hits 0 at the exact moment the last lemming finishes exiting (easiest way is for the last lemming to exit and then use the N key until you hear the ringing alarm), but the game still gave him the credit for passing the level. Wow, imagine if it was one frame too late instead.

Specifically, in your replay the lemming finishes exiting AND the timer reaches 0 at the exact same moment, so it's not a case of lemmings entering the exit after the timer hits 0. It's not a case of before reaching the exit either. It's right on the dot. But yes, your replay still works because the game still credited you with a "pass." This tells me that it's still a success as long as one of two things happens, either you met or exceeded the save requirement before the time runs out, or you met or exceeded the save requirement AND the timer runs out at the exact same moment. This is good to know, though, and certainly something I didn't know about before in what NL considers a success! ;) It's kind of like in the same way it doesn't matter if you're not able to nuke all lemmings before time runs out. It's a pass as long as you met or exceed the save requirement when the time runs out or both happen at the same moment.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »
And, the Neutron Star rank has fallen! Replays attached. Despite being the second to last rank, I thought the Neutron Star rank was much easier than the Sun rank. The levels still required some thought, but they didn't seem anywhere near as hard as the Sun levels and so solving time seemed a lot faster than the Sun rank levels. Took me less than 2 days to finish the NS rank. Then again, it took me about the same amount of time for the Sun rank after I was finally able to get past Sun 7.

The hardest levels for me in the Neutron Star rank were Neutron Star 7 - Divide and Conquer and Neutron Star 9 - A Ticket to Hell.

Neutron Star 1 - Hope and Despair is a really nice, tricky level to start off the ranking with a somewhat difficult to spot solution. Mine almost fails as I think maybe only a pixel less and the non-floater wouldn't had survived. Indeed, my solution was very timing based and I made the end part more difficult than was necessary.

Neutron Star 4 - Cliff Jumpers is not hard, but it is tricky despite being a 5-of-everything level. Almost sounds like a Reunion level, only I believe the level is called Roofjumpers instead. Still, both levels are appropriately named.

Surely my solution to Neutron Star 11 -Freedom in the Firelight is not intended, since it's possible to shortcut it the way I did and thus I have 2 miners leftover plus a few other skills left.

My most favorite level of the rank would have to be Neutron Star 17 - Poor Lemming No. 6. I really love the solution, and the level title is a big hint and key to solving the level.

Finally, the rank finisher Neutron Star 20 - Time Gate is much easier than the previous rank finisher. Sun 20 is much harder. If anything, these two levels probably should switch positions.

Well, onward to the Black Hole ranking, the last rank and the final 21 levels of the pack where I'll probably get stumped for quite a while. I think I'll be surprised if I can solve any of the levels in this rank. Here goes!

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2020, 10:59:32 PM »
Thanks Kaywhyn I downloaded your replay for Neutron Star.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:05:32 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2020, 05:58:55 AM »
I've played Nepsterlem recently. I've definitely enjoyed a lot. It was my firm belief that it is almost impossible to make difficult levels only with classic 8 skills, but certainly nepsterlem has many tricky levels and they all provide only classic 8 skills.

Many people already post their own solutions, so here I upload only talisman replays except for comet rank.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »
Nice job, Armani! I still haven't finished the pack, but that's because I've been stuck since reaching the Black Hole rank. After finishing United, I came back to this pack and after a lot of struggling finally got myself unstuck on Sun 7. The next few days I was able to cruise along until reaching my current roadblock of BH 1. I've occasionally came back and see if I could get myself unstuck, but I still haven't been successful in getting past BH 1 yet. At this point, I think it'll be an amazing accomplishment if I can solve even just one level from the BH rank.

I've played Nepsterlem recently. I've definitely enjoyed a lot. It was my firm belief that it is almost impossible to make difficult levels only with classic 8 skills, but certainly nepsterlem has many tricky levels and they all provide only classic 8 skills.

Another thing the levels in this pack have shown is that most of them are quite small in size, usually only about a screen wide or a little bit extra, and how they can still be deceivingly tough. In other words, small levels have the tendency to look easy but can still be quite tough. I say a good example is Sun 20. It's a surprisingly tough 1-of-everything level on top of being a very small level. That one had me stuck for almost 2 hours, nowhere near as long as Sun 7.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but I'm of the opinion that levels that only provide the 8 classic skills tend to be much easier than those that provide even 1 or a few NL exclusive skills in addition to the classic skills or even those that provide NL only skills. The reason why I think this is so is because pretty much everyone here is extremely familiar with how the 8 classic skills work, whereas the NL skills are not as familiar, although most of them come from L2. The only new ones that don't come from any of the official games are the cloner and disarmer. Even then, it's just a matter of familiarizing oneself with the mechanics of the skills and the possible synergies/combinations and how the skills can interact with one another so that over time my original statement becomes less true. What's probably more difficult is making levels that use only the NL exclusive skills and no classic skills. Say, that might be a pretty good idea for a level pack. Although, I have a feeling that making such a pack will be extremely difficult and will result in not a great variety of levels, eg, not that many levels that require constructive skills to get up the level, considering that the platformer doesn't add height at all, and the only ways to get up are stackers, gliders with updrafts, and fencers. To a smaller extent, jumpers and shimmiers as well. Theoretically, it can be done, but to make such an excellent pack will be quite a task.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:38:29 AM by kaywhyn »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2023, 05:43:55 PM »
It's finally happened: After being stuck on it for almost 3 years, since my last post in this topic, I finally solved Black Hole 1! This morning, while lying in bed, I was just staring at the level image I have saved on my phone for probably close to half an hour, couldn't see anything new I haven't yet tried the entire time, but shortly after I closed my eyes to sleep some more, the realization hit me, and I quickly went to try it out. That was indeed the thing I missed this whole time, but now I just needed to tweak it so it worked.

I seriously feel so dumb that it even took me this long before I finally solved Black Hole 1, when I think all the others who solved it only needed 1-2 hours at the most to get it solved. That's why I don't necessarily feel proud even though I finally solved the level without hints after so long. It's a bit shameful really, as there are much harder packs than this that I was able to solve in a far less amount of time than it took me this level. In any case, the level kept haunting me in my sleep ever since I posted my rant about the level in my blog topic on this site, but I can finally stop crying at night now that I finally got the level solved. Also, the record for the custom level that had me stuck the longest remains Gronkling's "Mystery Machine" level from RotL on the Lemmini version. This level of Nepster's was closely approaching that, but I got it solved before the time could eclipse that.

Well, I can finally move on with the rest of the rank and hopefully solve the remaining levels of the pack! ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2023, 11:51:35 PM »
Black Hole rank finally completed and hence I have solved all of Nepsterlems after 3 years! :thumbsup: I have attached my entire replay collection. I've already gave feedback on the other ranks, so this post will just be for the Black Hole rank ;)

Black Hole Rank Feedback

Being the final rank of the pack, it supposedly should have all the hardest levels of the pack. However, TBH this rank was a bit of a letdown, as I expected far more of a challenge! Especially if Nepster's description of the rank is anything to go by. After having gone through this entire rank after 3 years, I definitely struggled far more with the Sun and Neutron Star ranks. Then again, the time when I went through the 4th and 5th ranks was at a time when Nepsterlems was my 4th/5th NL custom level pack, meaning I wasn't as experienced back then. Therefore, roadblocks came up very often for me. In contrast, from the first time I reached Black Hole 1 from way back in 2020 and being stuck on that level for almost 3 years and finally having solved it earlier in the week, I have played and solved so many level packs in this time period and therefore have gained a lot of experience. This likely explains why I didn't struggle too much with the Black Hole rank. Don't get me wrong, there are still some very tough nuts to crack in this rank, but some of the levels had me wondering what the heck are they doing in the Black Hole rank, as I didn't find them that hard at all. Of course, I can still see these levels will be challenging for the less experienced players and hence they do belong in this rank. At the same time, I backrouted some of these levels and therefore some of them are easier than they should be.

It does go without saying that some of the 4th/5th rank levels could be upranked to Black Hole. For example, Icho mentions that Sun 7 - Scrap the Builders should be upranked to Black Hole, and I massively agree with him! Pretty much everyone I know who has solved it had a lot of struggles with it, including myself, though I was stuck there for only a month or so, nowhere near as long as Black Hole 1.

Having finally solved all of Nepsterlems, I hereby declare this one of the best packs I've played! :thumbsup: In addition, I have now cleared out my entire backlog of levels I couldn't solve, meaning I've been able to solve every NL level I've played thus far. This is certainly not to brag, especially as there have still been some to have stumped me for a while, but rather given enough time I can solve these levels. I still consider myself nowhere near the best solver even though I have completed some of the hardest level packs, including Lemmings United, Lemmings Plus Omega 2, Lemmings Plus Alpha, and now Nepsterlems, which was pretty much the last very hard level pack I've completed, as the other ones I've mentioned I actually finished them all before Nepsterlems, but that's all courtesy of Black Hole 1 stumping me for almost 3 years. For the record, Lemmings United and Lemmings Plus Alpha I finished them back in 2020, while LPO2 I completed just last month. Lemmings United took an entire year for me to solve everything, Lemmings Plus Alpha took me a few months, and LPO2 took me a few weeks. I checked the timestamps of my replays for Nepsterlems, and I apparently started your pack back in January 2020, during the time when I was playing United and still very far from finishing. So, it apparently has taken me nearly 3.5 years before I finally solved all of Nepsterlems.

Thank you for this pack, Nepster! :thumbsup: We here at the Lemmings Forums miss you and hope you're doing ok and that you'll make a return sooner rather than later. Lots has happened during your absence. 

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
Wow, that is great news. My warmest congratulations to you for not only having solved a pack I never dared to start, but also for having solved all these super-hard packs that exist out there so far. If there's nothing left to play right now for you, you could continue creating your own pack :)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2023, 06:22:08 PM »
Thank your for your congratulations, Swerdis! :thumbsup: As for a future level pack from me, we will see. I don't know if I'll be making one, as I never considered the possibility. However, if it was meant as a suggestion that I try my hand at making one, now I might consider it. Only time will tell. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 06:50:06 PM by kaywhyn »