Author Topic: Level Solving Contest #5  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Level Solving Contest #5
« on: July 14, 2019, 03:33:32 AM »
Come one, come all! It's time for the Lemmings Level Solving Contest #5!

Life In The Fast Lane!

Guide your favorite rodent creatures through a twisty garden of marble, slopes, and mud as you compete to be the very best level solver! The criteria used will be the following:

1. Total number of Lemmings saved
2. Amount of skills saved
3. Time taken to rescue your final lemming

So once again the player who saves the most lemmings is the winner. The main tiebreakers will be how many skills are left over followed by the fastest time it takes to rescue the final lemming in the solution.

Submit your replay to me when you are finished. More than one person working together in a joint effort to produce one replay is allowed. Also, if you submit a replay and you manage to find a better solution please feel free to resubmit your replay to me again. Just write a little note notifying me that this new replay is an improvement and should be the one used in judging.

The deadline for submitting a replay will be September 7th, 2019 at 00:00 UTC. I know it's a very long time but hopefully this will give people more than enough time to participate.

Submission so far:

- Crane
- Minim
- SQron

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:43:45 PM by Nessy »

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: Level Solving Contest #5
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:02:02 AM »
Just a reminder: anybody that wants to participate in this contest has a little bit over a month left :)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »
Surely I can't be the only one doing this?!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
You're not, apparently. ;) You're up against me again and I've just submitted my replay about a week ago (and my thoughts about the level too). It's just that Nessay hasn't updated the thread yet.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:58:41 AM »
Sorry, I've had little time since August 2019. Good luck to everybody else!

-- Simon

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
I've solved the level but since it's still a bit away from the deadline, I won't submit my solution in case I get some idea to optimise it.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 08:00:09 AM »
So are the results ready?

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:59:23 PM »
It looks like we have a winner!

:tal-gold: Minim - Lemmings Saved: 100 - Skills Saved: 109 - Time: 3:50

:tal-silver: SQron - Lemmings Saved 100 - Skills Saved: 92 - Time: 3:13

:tal-bronze: Crane - Lemmings Saved: 100 - Skills Saved: 84 - Time: 3:57

A big congratulations to Minim for winning this contest :thumbsup:

Now, since the total number of Lemmings saved was the first major score to achieve for this level and since everyone who participated saved 100%, the next score (the amount of skills saved) had to be used in ranking the replays. Minim managed to save 100% with the least amount of skills used (26 out of the 135 because he saved 109).

Thank you everyone who participated in this contest. I know that the level was far from perfect but I'm still glad that, looking at the replays, the level still managed to be flexible enough to allow for different approaches.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 06:45:42 AM »
Looks like this 6-week (I think) idea hasn't gone down too well. First of all, we've forgotten about the idea of a shorter level. Secondly, a notable range of users (i.e. Flopsy, Wafflem, Nepster and Clam and to a certain extent) are not as active on the forums as they used to be. I'm going to hold off hosting further solving contests until the forums become more active again: I've done my job and don't want to lose my track record for participants. In other words I will call open floor again. For those who like to host one, best of luck finding ways to encourage users to take part.

Pleased to find out I've won my own contest though! :P Once I got a hold of the masses (Which was frustrating taking into account the steep drop for the top-right entrance and the water) I had fun navigating around the rest of the skills to use the 10 builders wisely. The One-Way walls combined with steel was also quite annoying to get round too.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 05:46:46 PM »
Well, I guess this shows the problem is more about lack of interest and less about lack of time.  The level does look very cool though in the screenshot, hopefully maybe just having this thread, it'll still attract some additional interest for people to try out that level and also the other levels in same pack.

And actually, you still have (slightly) more participants than contest #4, so in one sense it didn't go down any worse than before.  But I can see having to wait so many weeks for results (I assume most contestants submitted early and even their final submissions were probably weeks ago) as too much a disadvantage, considering it didn't boost participation by any notable amount.