Author Topic: Level solving contest #2  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Level solving contest #2
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:34:45 PM »
So, it's time we had another of these :P

To give the contests a bit of variety, I've made a Lix level this time; it's a bit smaller, and the skillset is a more restrictive 5 of everything.

The rules are pretty much the same as last time, except that because this is Lix, there's no "time taken" tiebreaker.

In short: try to save as many lix as you can (but at least 12), with a secondary goal of maximising the skills left over. Send replays to me by 12 noon GMT, 19 January. The winner has the right (but no obligation) to create the level for round #3.

Good luck!

Entries received so far:

geoo
Simon / Forestidia
Nessy
Minim
Nepster
SQron
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:15:28 PM by Proxima »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Level solving contest #2
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
* Both engines have an "auto-save level solutions" kind of button, so make sure you turn it on so you don't lose your replay!

Thought I might mention this rule again, only because I accidentally forgot to save my improved attempt on this level. :( I thought the F3 button was a "save replay" button. That icon that looks like a save button has deceived me. :-[
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »
I apologize for the lousy UI and the data loss. :lix-trouble:

Detailed further discussion:
Autosave replays: Run to end? Different icon for quicksave

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
Big thanks to everyone who entered! I'll look through the entries later tonight to double-check the number of skills used, but I think these are the standings:

* All entrants saved 100%

* Skills used:
geoo - 15
Simon/Forestidia, Nepster, Nessy - 16
Minim - 17
SQron - 23

Congratulations to geoo, our winner! :thumbsup:

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »
I found this level highly enjoyable, well done, Proxima!

I personally count being 50% less efficient than the winner along with other Lemmings- and Lix experts as a decent result.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
A big congratulations to geoo for winning :thumbsup:

Personally I'm just glad I redeemed myself a little bit after that horrible performance on the last contest :lix-evil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 11:42:09 PM »
Very nice that geoo optimized 1 further! Forestidia had the hunch that our solution is not optimal, but both of us didn't find anything.

Thanks for having the contest. Proxima or geoo, would you share geoo's winning solution?

Attached is our 16-skill solution that tied for 2nd place.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 05:36:04 AM »
Thanks, that was a nice level! Slightly fewer things to try out than in the previous one, but still a lot of variability in the end.

Here are two variations for the start that use 15 skills.
In fact, Simon and Forestidia's solution can also go down to 15 skills with a little change, if you have the second digger not fall down, but platform 4 times after digging a little.
So I'm somewhat surprised I ended up being the only one to do it with 15 skills. :)

I'm happy to host the next round in a little while.
Not sure if the reason for fewer participants this time was NeoLemmix vs Lix, the novelty wearing off, or just the lack of a holiday break, but considering I've never used the NeoLemmix editor chances are I'll make a another Lix level. (I also thought of using existing levels, but also there my knowledge of NeoLemmix levels is currently pretty limited.)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 06:38:04 AM »
I have to agree that Lix level was a good one. I would've found it difficult making a viable Lix level for a contest if the votes were skewed the other way because I wanted to use gimmicks, such as that fan, but sometimes the best thing is to leave it out, like this level.

Congrats to geoo for winning! I never saw the use of the reverse digger to scale the platform. I ended up using several builders instead, upping my skills total. Also, that batting the double-blocker was pretty cool. I was thinking about that idea too, but couldn't find the right place to hold those Lix.

I was personally surprised by my result, especially when I deducted 3 skills off my first solution. I was looking forward to the gallery of replays, but it seems like everyone (Well, most of them) is posting theirs instead. I thought I might just do the same too. Enjoy my unique 17 skill replay. :lix-cool:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 06:57:55 AM »
Here's the zip with everyone's replays. They've all been verified to ensure that everyone used the number of skills they claimed :lix-grin:

Looking forward to seeing what geoo comes up with for contest #3!

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »
I'm happy to host the next round in a little while.
Not sure if the reason for fewer participants this time was NeoLemmix vs Lix, the novelty wearing off, or just the lack of a holiday break, but considering I've never used the NeoLemmix editor chances are I'll make a another Lix level. (I also thought of using existing levels, but also there my knowledge of NeoLemmix levels is currently pretty limited.)

I didn't participate myself because I consider myself very inferior at Lix compared to NeoLemmix. The novelty hasn't worn off for me, I'll gladly come back in when NeoLemmix is used again.