Author Topic: Maximum Lemmings Saved Records  (Read 21715 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Maximum Lemmings Saved Records
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2019, 02:05:23 am »

EDIT: And now 36, although Pooty beat me to it by a few minutes (as mentioned on Discord).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:39:46 am by namida »

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2019, 03:40:04 am »
3D Lemmings: Tricky 7 (Level 27: Follow the Yellow Brick Road) improved to 36/40. The solution is complex, so a replay is attached.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline WillLem

• Professor of Lemmingology
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2019, 04:57:54 pm »
Just thought I'd share a few of my 100% replays! Lemme know what you think!

Lemmings Tricky 25 - Cascade 100%
Lemmings Mayhem 7 - Poles Apart 100%
Oh No! More Lemmings Crazy 19 - DON'T PANIC 100%
Oh No! More Lemmings Wicked 17 - Down the tube 100%
Oh No! More Lemmings Havoc 7 - Creature Discomforts 100%

- WillLem 8-)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:09:18 pm by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2019, 06:02:56 pm »
Just thought I'd share a few of my 100% replays! Lemme know what you think!

Lemmings Tricky 25 - Cascade 100%
Lemmings Mayhem 7 - Poles Apart 100%
Oh No! More Lemmings Crazy 19 - DON'T PANIC 100%
Oh No! More Lemmings Wicked 17 - Down the tube 100%
Oh No! More Lemmings Havoc 7 - Creature Discomforts 100%

- WillLem 8-)

We don't use clone engines for these challenge topics, only the official games. (The one exception is Lemmix, which we allow due to the fact that it - by design - has identical gameplay physics to DOS version, even down to the really fine details and glitches. And to be clear - that's regular vanilla Lemmix only; not NeoLemmix.) EDIT: To be clear, use of framestep / etc features in Lemmix is considered acceptable, because they don't allow you to do anything you couldn't theoretically do in the legitimate DOS game, they just make it a whole lot easier to do it. However, if some Lemmix-exclusive glitch were to show up, use of it would not be considered acceptable.

A challenge topic relating specifically to clone engines (or rather, to be fair, I'd think it would have to be limited to one specific clone engine - and in turn, I suspect that unless that engine is NeoLemmix, there wouldn't be much interest) could absolutely be started if you like, but yeah, it would need to be kept separate for the sake of fairness.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:51:44 pm by namida »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2019, 06:12:03 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up, namida. It's nice to see someone taking an interest in this board though, but still, it really does need an update which will hopefully help any more new users fully understand what this board is all about. I'll send a PM.
The user formerly known as minimac

Offline WillLem

• Professor of Lemmingology
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2019, 07:49:14 pm »

We don't use clone engines for these challenge topics, only the official games. (The one exception is Lemmix, which we allow due to the fact that it - by design - has identical gameplay physics to DOS version, even down to the really fine details and glitches. And to be clear - that's regular vanilla Lemmix only; not NeoLemmix.)

A challenge topic relating specifically to clone engines (or rather, to be fair, I'd think it would have to be limited to one specific clone engine - and in turn, I suspect that unless that engine is NeoLemmix, there wouldn't be much interest) could absolutely be started if you like, but yeah, it would need to be kept separate for the sake of fairness.

Understood. I'll bet that the solutions shows in my replays would work in the original games though... I'll have to test it out!

Edit - when you say "original games", do you mean any of the DOS, Amiga, SNES, etc ports? Just to clarify.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »
All topics on Challenges except this one refer to the DOS version, and only the DOS version. (Unless another version is explicitly named in the topic title -- and there are even a couple for NeoLemmix.) That's because for most challenges, discovering the minimum number of skills, minimum types of skill and so forth is interesting enough to do once, but not interesting enough to maintain records for each version separately. (And merging results from different versions doesn't seem fair, since some of them have quite drastic gameplay differences.)

As for why the DOS version has primacy: DOS is one of the original versions (alongside Amiga); it's a version many of our members are more familiar with; and it's easier to test and share results for DOS thanks to the existence of Lemmix.

However, for this topic only, we track records for every version that we have information about, and we're happy to add results from another port if anyone posts them. That's because saving a certain number of lemmings is the main goal of the game, and seeing how many can be saved the most interesting challenge. The possibilities vary quite a bit between versions (e.g. Tricky 15 and 16 and Mayhem 26 on the Mac, thanks to the high-res graphics), so it makes sense to maintain a list for each version.