Poll

...what do you call them?

A Worker
A Trailblazer
A Hero
Other (leave a comment)

Author Topic: [POLL] One brave lemming goes ahead, preparing the path for the crowd...  (Read 3676 times)

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
...what do you call them?
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: [POLL] One brave lemming goes ahead, preparing the path for the crowd...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 10:41:23 PM »
Pioneer. It sounds less flamboyant than trailblazer.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 06:56:36 AM »
Pioneer, usually. As a synonym, sometimes, Worker.

Offline Ste Woz Ere

• Lemmings 2 fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
A lemming.
Tribes of Steel - a whole new Lemmings 2 game! (120-level pack)
Currently a WIP - all tribes are complete, testing and feedback is welcome!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 04:49:53 PM »
"Worker".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
Hero, Worker and Pioneer are the words I interchangeably use for this scenario. I think Worker tends to get used the most in general conversation, but Hero is more appropriate and perhaps more preferable.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 04:21:01 PM »
I didn't call them anything, until I found out a tutorial called them "trailblazers".

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 06:36:04 PM »
A worker gets assignments that affect other lemmings (e.g., terrain adder/remover, blocker). This is more general than what the question requires.

A waypaver/trailblazer is a worker who prepares a sizable chunk of the route. This comes closest to the question.

A hero gets many assignments and tours around different areas of the level. This feels slightly too specific for the question.

Judging by everybody's answers, the question would have been magnificent for Family Feud. :lix-blush:

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
When I was a kid, my sister and I always called them a hero, but these days I wouldn't use that because it's too close to "hero time" as the common term for 1-of-each-skill levels. I would use different words depending on context: "worker" in the context "send out a worker", "pioneer" when talking about "pioneer levels" as the style of level that uses a single worker, "trailblazer" sometimes as well :P

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 09:04:29 PM »
Huh, I'm surprised to see 'pioneer' mentioned by almost everyone, as I don't think I ever came across it before.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 10:08:50 PM »
A worker gets assignments that affect other lemmings (e.g., terrain adder/remover, blocker). This is more general than what the question requires.

A waypaver/trailblazer is a worker who prepares a sizable chunk of the route. This comes closest to the question.

A hero gets many assignments and tours around different areas of the level. This feels slightly too specific for the question.

Judging by everybody's answers, the question would have been magnificent for Family Feud. :lix-blush:

-- Simon

Wait you use different words for difrferent meaings :lem-mindblown: I always thought this was just something like wether you say "soccer" or "football"

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 03:20:12 PM »
I think I used "worker" because that's the term used in the Winlems95 help manual (I think?).  If not its one of the terms listed here but it wasn't hero I'm pretty sure. The help mannual mentions that concept as well as a few others that was very helpful back then I must say. For example; "if you remove the ground beneath a blocker they'll revert to a walking lemming" :lem-mindblown: :D

speaking of the level "its hero time" I always thought that was a really odd title for that level; not only cause I didn't use the term hero back in the day, but because in most of the solutions I have seen for that level; at least two or more separate lemmings do work... ???
Ok on closer thought; there is (or ought to be) at least one solution where only 1 lemmings uses all the skills; but this is also the solution that is most difficult to time correctly. >_>
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »
I voted Worker, although I'd use Pioneer more frequently.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline poseidal

• View Profile
I always used Hero, as did a friend of mine back in the day. Plus, there's 'It's Hero Time'.