Author Topic: The Lost Hebrew version of Lemmings for PC (MS-DOS)  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Diskun

• View Profile
The Lost Hebrew version of Lemmings for PC (MS-DOS)
« on: November 02, 2021, 01:06:40 PM »
Here's my first post, and without further to do, I'll get going with my topic. While I was browsing box arts of Lemmings ports, I've stumbled on to a particular one of the PC port of the game for MS-DOS, but in Hebrew. The site which it came from was MobyGames, and can be acssed on their by looking up Lemmings, clicking on the original, then press DOS as the system and move to the cover arts section and scroll down till you see it. The image was posted by Tomer Gabel over twenty years ago, but he is still an active programmer in Israel as he is on his Twitter account which I unfortunately don't have access to. The reason I'm interesting in this version of the game, is because Hercules and MCGA are listed as graphic modes on the box art, while they're not in the Western version. I've tried my best to get this search rolling, but with only a tablet at the moment I just can't. I hope for help in discovering a missing piece of Lemmings history.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Hebrew version of Lemmings for PC (MS-DOS)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 01:14:51 AM »
Great find Diskun, keep us updated if you discover anything! :thumbsup:

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »
Huh, that's interesting, has anyone else looked into it? Is there anyone knowing Hebrew here? That might facilitate the search.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »
I don't know Hebrew, but I found the Hebrew title in plain text, which got me some interesting results, but not what we're looking for, at least not that I can tell. Google Translate is not very good at Hebrew->English. All this did was lead me down a different rabbit hole about the incredibly obscure J3100 version. :P

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 04:21:11 PM »
this may be completely dumb and random but anyone notice the odd mark on the right side of the box; in the black/dark area; it looks kind of like a mask/ghost like face.

Also noticed for the first time that there's lemmings near the bottom of the picture with boxing gloves, punching each other.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 11:16:10 AM »
this may be completely dumb and random but anyone notice the odd mark on the right side of the box; in the black/dark area; it looks kind of like a mask/ghost like face.

Also noticed for the first time that there's lemmings near the bottom of the picture with boxing gloves, punching each other.
That's dust, I'm quite certain. The boxing glove Lemmings are on all (or at least most :P) versions of the cover.

Offline darnn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »
fwiw, i believe this was the version i had back in the day. i don't recall it being any different from any non-israeli ones, but i certainly didn't know what hercules was at the time, and i got it with the 486 my parents bought, which had a VGA card, so it never would have occurred to me to try a cga mode even if it had it. the game itself was definitely not in hebrew one way or the other, but that's also the case in the screenshots there, so that's neither here nor there.