Author Topic: [New Formats] Black and White Dirt tileset  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
[New Formats] Black and White Dirt tileset
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:45:13 PM »
Here's a tileset that I was planning on using for an ArtLems level, but that didn't work out. I decided to release it to see if people had any interest in it. It's the original Dirt tileset, but in black and white. I originally designed it for an old-timey movie level. Since it's identical to the Dirt tileset in every way except for aesthetics, I'm not sure how much use it will get, but if people really like it, I may end up converting more of the original (and maybe OHNO) tilesets to black and white as well.

Back in my day, we had a Rendezvous at the Mountain...
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: [New Formats] Black and White Dirt tileset
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
Cool graphics set. However I can enable a Greyscale filter on my laptop. Also, the pieces are the same as the Original (Pun intended) so apart from the background I don't need to add it to my collection. Sorry.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 09:20:43 PM »
I may end up converting more of the original (and maybe OHNO) tilesets to black and white as well.

Please keep in mind that new palette-swap styles of any kind are not currently being accepted into NL's styles downloads. So - any pack creators using these styles would need to include a copy with their pack's download.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 02:18:39 AM »
Here's a tileset that I was planning on using for an ArtLems level, but that didn't work out. I decided to release it to see if people had any interest in it. It's the original Dirt tileset, but in black and white. I originally designed it for an old-timey movie level. Since it's identical to the Dirt tileset in every way except for aesthetics, I'm not sure how much use it will get, but if people really like it, I may end up converting more of the original (and maybe OHNO) tilesets to black and white as well.

Great idea! Could run the music tracks through a vinyl plugin to give them an old-time feel as well.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »
Don't worry, Arty, I very much like the concept and have downloaded it already! :thumbsup: I was just a little surprised about the time of the upload, as I knew that namida is planning to implement this palette-swap feature that will allow the creation of such and many other styles en-mass.

So you might already want to save the colour settings somewhere (Hue/Saturation/Lightness changes etc. compared to orig Dirt), to be able to translate this tileset into this new feature whenever it gets introduced. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »
Don't worry, Arty, I very much like the concept and have downloaded it already! :thumbsup: I was just a little surprised about the time of the upload, as I knew that namida is planning to implement this palette-swap feature that will allow the creation of such and many other styles en-mass.

So you might already want to save the colour settings somewhere (Hue/Saturation/Lightness changes etc. compared to orig Dirt), to be able to translate this tileset into this new feature whenever it gets introduced. ;)

Some consideration was given to this, but it likely won't happen now - instead, it will just be "when NL is capable of downloading styles on-demand, instead of requiring the user to download every style up-front, we'll go back to allowing these kind of styles; until then, they are prohibited to slow down the growth of the styles download". As restoring at least the style-downloading component of online features is a goal for V12.8, this shouldn't be too long.

I have concerns around whether creators of palette swap styles will make the effort to keep their styles up to date physics-wise with the main ones (as we've seen in the incompatibilities at times between orig_dirt and orig_dirt_md, or my LPII / LPIII styles and GigaLem's remakes of them), but that's a separate discussion from the impact on downloading / extracting times, and is perhaps something that (at least for gadgets) could come with its own solution as a separate feature. My personal preference really would be "just don't have these styles in the first place", but it's clear that the community wants them, so we need to figure out what (if anything) should be done in this regard.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
Personally, physics accuracy is a major reason I think a true feature for palette swapping would be useful, but of course I have no idea how complex it would be to pull off. It would be nice, though, to be able to, for example, define the color changes for the whatever_md sets and then not really have to worry about keeping up with all the changes to the regular sets.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
Personally, physics accuracy is a major reason I think a true feature for palette swapping would be useful, but of course I have no idea how complex it would be to pull off. It would be nice, though, to be able to, for example, define the color changes for the whatever_md sets and then not really have to worry about keeping up with all the changes to the regular sets.

I mean - if there's enough interest in this, it can be considered.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »
A black-and-white tileset does sound like a good idea actually, although I think it should have more original pieces to it, like maybe a film reel or a clapperboard.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 12:01:40 PM »
With a palette-swap feature, you could simply create a black-and-white version of Plom's Studio tileset to achieve the desired effect... ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels