Author Topic: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - 221 Levels So Far, Help Wanted!  (Read 53390 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Delta phase has begun!
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2020, 08:53:45 PM »
I mentioned this on Discord - NL 12.7.X (and current 12.8-RC builds) don't support the "BUSY" flag on unlock buttons. There's no reason they shouldn't support it, so V12.8.0-RC3 (or if that doesn't happen, V12.8.0 stable) will add support for it. Once this is done, you should be able to achieve what you're trying to achieve here - I'll also add an example unlock button that does this to the "examples" style.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Delta phase has begun!
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2020, 11:50:02 PM »
I mentioned this on Discord - NL 12.7.X (and current 12.8-RC builds) don't support the "BUSY" flag on unlock buttons. There's no reason they shouldn't support it, so V12.8.0-RC3 (or if that doesn't happen, V12.8.0 stable) will add support for it. Once this is done, you should be able to achieve what you're trying to achieve here - I'll also add an example unlock button that does this to the "examples" style.
Read this on discord earlier but yeah, I'll hold off on idles for buttons specifically until 12.8 Stable is released.
but quick question, are teleporters supported by idles yet? There are some animations I want to apply to couple so far

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - State of the pack April 2020
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2020, 02:55:57 AM »

It's time for another state of the pack and its a pretty exciting one.
On the lemmings forum discord, I've shown enough levels to showing the new objects in action and you even get to see some of the levels here.
A lot has been done within a couple of months and I can easily see the light at the end of the tunnel, after 4 long years, the level pack may finally see release!.
As such, I do have some things to announce with this one.

That's right, a big overhaul in terms of the sets themselves, there's a bunch of new objects and pieces for you to try out in Neolemmix yourself.
A big thank you to plom510 for making all these sets and another big thanks to Namida for teaching me about how to implement the other object types (such as glows and idles)

A later 2020 plan is possibly better BGs since I do have issues with trying to make sure the tiles stick out enough against the BGs, and no I will not darken them, I tried that once and hated it for good reason.

If you want to grab the new set additions, go here!

Certain ranks have finally been started, and will resume work soon, Talismans have returned and if any are found they'll be added to the levels themselves. And I've made a lot of levels since the start of 2020, and I made a lot in 2019 too. new additions were thought up as I went on. The final level has been made however I'm keeping it a surprise until late into the pack's development unless something comes up.

Nessy and Plom510 are now aiding the level design and as of yet one has already sent a level in to me. I do hope more levels are thought up by those too and any will help. and If I struggle with ideas, I do have unfinished level they can finished, or you can finish too once they're available on the "bit of levels you can finish" thread.

A lot has happened for the level since the start of 2020, and a lot of progress has been made, here's hoping to see the release of the pack.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Okay, I'm gonna start a poll because I am facing a dilemma.
I thought up of so many good levels that I don't think I could move any more levels out of any of the difficulty ranks to the beta rank.
Plus I've been thinking of separating the beta rank to its own called something like "The prototype files" or something like it.
Both Super Dog and Alpha ranks are now up to 32 levels each and im not sure if I can find level to shift or move around

Here is what i've thought up for the options

Increase the number of levels per rank from 30 to 36 or 40(exlcuding the Newborn Rank, Brevon's Lair rank and Rematch ranks)
I want to leave some room for my other level designers or people who still wish to donate levels for the pack, Because of how my level quality has increased over the years I wouldn't want to leave any quality ones out of the pack.

Stick a rank between Hound and Alpha or Alpha and Super Dog!
If I want to keep the levels per rank to be 30, these two options are something I've thought of to allow more room for additional level designers if say they make some really difficult levels.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Kind of hard to answer without knowing the current situation (rank structure, the number you already have per rank). This post on page 1 has a list but it looks like it was last updated in 2018.

My gut feeling, though, is that Redux has 32 per rank and that already feels long; I would prefer an extra rank over having 40 levels per rank.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
More ranks/less levels is definitely the best way to do it IMHO. I prefer Oh No!'s 5 of 20 to the original's 4 of 30. It allows the player to complete the ranks more quickly and therefore build momentum through the pack more easily.

If I complete Rank 1, but it took me ages because there were so many levels (or it was way too difficult for a first rank), I'm that much less likely to start Rank 2.

Conversely, if I complete Rank 2, I usually feel like I want to complete the rest of the pack having made it (almost) halfway!

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
I would say "don't worry about it much right now". If you're on the verge of releasing, yeah, but if you're planning to make a few more levels still, and you're planning to wait for people to submit levels to you, then I think you should wait until you've done that. You don't know exactly how many guest levels you'll get, or whether they're going to be easy ones, hard ones, etc. Keep your options open and then pick whatever makes the most sense when the time comes.
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Kind of hard to answer without knowing the current situation (rank structure, the number you already have per rank). This post on page 1 has a list but it looks like it was last updated in 2018.

My gut feeling, though, is that Redux has 32 per rank and that already feels long; I would prefer an extra rank over having 40 levels per rank.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I will update that relatively soon.

A lot of people are saying, add a rank, which is something I might lean towards, however I can easily adjust if another popular vote overtakes it.

Since it would be after hound, I might name it "Adulthood" because of the stages of dog life themeing

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Since it would be after hound, I might name it "Adulthood" because of the stages of dog life themeing

Is there a Puppy rank...?

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile

Is there a Puppy rank...?

Yes, see the second post
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Aiming for a 2020 release
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »
By a whooping 2 votes, its settle that another rank was introduced between Hound and Alpha called "Adulthood" making the main game's level count to 150+ levels, this will leave some room for more level ideas for Me and any of my level designers the second post will be updated after this post is made.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Been on a blank lately
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:03 PM »
I haven't made progress in a while, I haven't felt any inspiration for many reasons (one of those reasons being obvious at the time of this post) and its prevented me from doing fixes to existing packs or make levels that im proud of. I've started and scrapped many levels because I couldn't craft anything around the solution I want. I'm getting frustrated that I've been drawing a blank lately. I'm needing some ideas and inspiration and I could honestly use your help.

I've already submitted my unfinished levels to This Topic

but I could use some suggestions for levels too, I need ideas to get the creative juices flowing again

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Roadmap for 2020
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:14 AM »
12.9 Millas
I recommend grabbing this if your Millas don't have the jumper after the update

I may need to take a step back and pace myself a bit and try to slowly approach handling things from 12.9 onward, so I may need a moment to myself before going forward and I'll get to why in a bit.

-BG updates
Better Backgrounds that don't force users to go into clear physics mode but also not sacrificing the source material. I do realize that I don't think my decisions are gonna make everyone sastified with the BGs no matter what changes are made for it so I'm told to go with whatever Im happy with

-Testing the levels
Gotta fix enough back routes with levels with my other designers or any testers who'd want to be involved

-FIX ANYTHING INVOLVING A GLIDER

This is why I need a moment to destress, I don't know how many levels I made with this and im legitimately terrified about it because im worried there will be levels that I may not remember the solution towards. As such Both Festival Millas need to be updated because of this. I wasn't prepared for the change with the gliders nor was I informed on the change until now. I'm not sure what else to do about it. I'm open to suggestions however.
I do want to thank IchoTolot for letting me know about this.

-Re-evaluating the levels
Removing dated levels, moving levels based on difficulty, and then some. with that said there are over 40 cut levels from the pack because of those reasons and they will be reserved for a pack of their own as some sort of Bonus pack that'll be released at the same time as the final pack

-Update the Freedom Planet 2 Dragon Valley set
FP2's Dragon Valley has changed alot since 2017, and as such I'll be giving that set a much needed face lift, being new objects or revamped objects, another exit and most importantly, Millas themed after Freedom Planet 2. And another thing, a second FP2 set is being worked on but it'll have priority sometime after Millas is released

-Release the Final Level set
This will come sometime before Millas is released, but rest assured its practically ready for anyone's enjoyment

-Release Millas
It's been a Long 4 years, from before v1.43 all the way to 12.9 It'll be ready to go once I deem it ready

Once I build the motivation to resume progress on the pack because, while I do want to make levels with the jumper, its the amount of levels I need to fix that's gonna bother me if left unattended.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Aiming for a 2021 release
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2020, 10:44:30 PM »
I apologize for the long silence on this thread, I've wanted to updated way earlier with a "my plan for the rest of 2020" update but I think I should give a small update before I decide to put together a showcase video of  these projects, and yes I said projects as in plural.

There is a few Qol things Being done to both Millas and Festival Millas's Sets, good news, all of them have been done, there will also be a special level being made that'll I'll show off in full a few days before Christmas for special reasons, if you don't want to be spoiled on the level's solution, you're free to skip it.

I can confirm another Festival Millas is in development however this time it was started early enough to get it ready hopefully before christmas, we only have 6 levels left to develop (7 if you count the credits level), I'll also give my plans regarding Festival Millas 2018 and 2019 in the video where I'll show off Festival Millas 2020. If that video isn't made I'll just talk about it in a forum post instead, Fixes will be done and the 12.10 menus have been made ahead of time.

In the meantime I've also remade levels from past projects that were worth remaking, basically stuff that shouldn't be left in the dark deprecated past.
So I'll reveal them here right now through this spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Glider Fixes will probably be done sometime early in 2021 considering its the end of the year, fortunately its not that many levels to be fixed.

And lastly I was thinking of adding something to Millas sets, something akin to Lemmings 2
I'll be doing a poll shortly after this post so here it comes.

Would you folks like it if I have some sets from Freedom Planet have use the recoloring features to theme the Millas depending on the sets?
Examples being
Pangu Lagoon, recolors the Millas to look like Lilac (Lavender Skin, Blue Tunic, Purple Hair, Tunic changes to green for athlete, no change in zombie's skin)
Jade Creek, recolors the Millas to look like Carol (Green Skin, Dark Green hair, Black Tunic or Red tunic if the black tunic is to hard to see against the Background, Blue or White Tunic for Athlete)
Trap Hideout, recolors the Millas to look like Spade (White Skin, Grey Hair, Brown or Red Tunic, Tunic turns blue for athlete)
Horizon Starport, recolors the Millas to look like Torque (Bright Green Skin, Green Hair, Yellow Tunic, Tunic turns blue for athlete referencing his goggles)
Battle Glacier, recolors the Millas to look like Neera (Grey Hair, White Skin, Dark Purple Tunic, Cyan Tunic for Athlete)
Fortune Night, recolors the Millas to look like Mayor Zao (Dark Orange Hair, Orange Skin this first two colors I picked are because Zao is a red panda look them up, Red Tunic, Yellow Tunic for Athlete)

I'll leave a Poll for if you're For this Idea, or Against this idea
and if you're for it, suggest theme in with a reply

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Millas - (Project Freedom Planet X Lemmings) - Aiming for a 2021 release
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2020, 11:02:29 PM »
Recolors could be a good idea, but you need to be careful that they are still clearly visible on the most common backgrounds/terrain pieces of the tilesets.

So I won't vote, but count me under "Yes, if they are still clearly distinctable in the level". ;)

Looking forward to the Festival Millas 2019 Glider fixes. ;P