Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration  (Read 36519 times)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:08:54 AM »
"Old Format" versions below NeoLemmix V12 are no longer supported!

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to introduce my first level pack: Lemmings Migration

It's a small pack of 40 levels across four difficulties: Painless, Irritation, Headache, and Migraine.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. Don't hold back... be brutally honest if you have to!

Story:

Long ago there was a large community filled with green-haired creatures named Lemmings. They were a technologically advanced society that lived peacefully for many years, but one day an ancient cataclysm emerged. It blocked out the sunlight, destroyed crops, emptied rivers, and destroyed all lemming technology. The lemmings had no choice; they had to leave their community. They had to migrate back to their ancestor's land. The one they left long ago. With their technology gone they had to once again rely on the eight classic skills their ancestors used, and with these tools the lemmings set out for their new home.

Difficulties:

Painless (10 levels)

LEMCO Employees

They're a shy group of levels that contain simple puzzles. After losing almost everything to the ancient cataclysm, the lemmings can no longer afford to have 20 of everything here, and therefore these levels here won't go as slow as the ones the ancestors crossed long ago.

Irritation (10 levels)

Never Getting Back Together

These levels enjoy puzzles that require more planning without going over the top in difficulty. Some of the elders said something about these levels being like "late Tricky to Taxing"... whatever that means.

Headache (10 levels)

Kings Of The Castle

These levels are considered to be the odd ones. They're not easy enough to be an irritation but not hard enough to cause migraines, but they seem to take pride in this. More tricks are required in addition to planning out more complex solutions.

Migraine (10 levels)

Momentum Deferred

These levels are the worst of the worst. They don't hold anything back, they bully other levels for not being as difficult, and they have no guilt in causing players to lose sleep, sanity, and hair.

Custom Music:

Download

1) Extract the files from the link above.
2) Place in a folder titled "music" (all lowercase) in the same directory as your NeoLemmix Player.
3) Enjoy!

Music List (click to show/hide)

Recommended For:

Not recommended for beginners, but a good pack for intermediate players. Some Headache and Migraine levels may give even experts a good challenge.

Special Thanks:

- DMA for creating Lemmings
- altiereslima for the skill panel
- nin10doadict for teaching me how to fix the custom music
- EricLang & ccexplore for Lemmix
- namida for NeoLemmix & Flexi Toolkit
- namida and Flopsy for their Flexi Toolkit tutorials
- Alex A. Denisov for Graphics32
- Erik Turner for ZLibEx
- Un4seen Development for Bass.dll
- The Lemmings Forums community for sharing replies and backroutes
- Volker 0th and Mindless for sharing sourcecode and information
- And YOU for playing this pack

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:10:41 PM by Nessy »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
I am deeply impressed with this pack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I thought I will quickly go through it, as most newcomer packs tend to be on the easy side, but not here. I estimated around 1 hour to go through this, well 3 hours it was :XD:

Your level creation style reminds me a lot of Nepster here and that's a big compliment! ;)  Of course it not reaches the extreme difficulty that these levels can have.....yet. ;)

I can't wait to see what you will make out of the new skills and other tilesets!

My solution replays are attached and I will pm you more detailed feedback on every level once I get the chance, time (and mood ;)) to wirte it all down. I think this will be kind of nitpicking, as the levels are already excellent! ;P

Have fun fixing backroutes! :laugh:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »
I started playing the pack and it's great so far but... I'm already totally stuck in the second level of irritation, "Never getting back together". I will let you know when I finish it. :thumbsup:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
Excellent job on this pack! These levels really look like the result of a Lemmings pro! :thumbsup:

I just finished the first rank, and these levels are already a bit tough, and I'm pretty sure I've found some backroutes. I really look forward to playing more of this pack! :D
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
Thank you everybody for playing through my pack and for the compliments! This means a lot coming from lemming pros like yourselves :). I actually made sure that I played through a lot of other packs in order to get an idea on what was truly possible with NeoLemmix, and sometimes just executing a solution that wasn't intentional gave me ideas as well. I also tried exploring the forums to find topics that would shed light on what people like in levels and what they don't like.

Your level creation style reminds me a lot of Nepster here and that's a big compliment! ;)  Of course it not reaches the extreme difficulty that these levels can have.....yet. ;)

Wow, I am very flattered by this :). I know that his levels are held in very high regard. I haven't played through his pack yet, but I do have plans on completing it one day even if it takes a long time to complete.

I started playing the pack and it's great so far but... I'm already totally stuck in the second level of irritation, "Never getting back together". I will let you know when I finish it. :thumbsup:

I actually wasn't expecting this level to be a major roadblock for someone. If you want I can provide a mild hint below (sorry if it's too mild). Don't give up though! I think you will find the solution to that one to be quite clever. ;)

Hint for Irritation 2 (click to show/hide)

I just finished the first rank, and these levels are already a bit tough, and I'm pretty sure I've found some backroutes.

I originally had the first rank filled with levels that were X-of-(almost)-everything where you would have maybe 5 or 8 of everything except for one skill that would only have 1 or 2. However, that was axed in favor of more-strict-on-skill-set puzzles, although I think I may have complicated some of them. I guess I didn't know my own strength ;P, but that's fine with me.

I will check the replays later on today and hopefully provide some insight on what was intentional or not. The war against backroutes begins!

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:59 PM »
Okay, here are my comments to the replies. A lot more intentional solutions than I thought, and a lot of backroutes (which was to be expected).

IchoTolot

Spoilers for Painless levels (click to show/hide)

Spoilers for Irritation levels (click to show/hide)

Spoilers for Headache levels (click to show/hide)

Spoilers for Migraine levels (click to show/hide)

Colorful Arty

Once again, thanks for the replies!

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
Hi Nessy, great job on those levels! I've attached my replays for the first rank as well, hope they are of some use to you :) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
Thank you Strato Incendus, but unfortunately I can't open your replies. I'm unfamiliar with the .rar format. Replies are usually saved as a .nxrp format, which can be created by pressing U when you complete a level in order to save the entire replay. Sorry about that.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »
.rar is a file compression format similar to .zip. To open it you can use applications like 7Zip or Winrar.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
Phew! Hearing that level completed jingle for the last time was so relieving! I was stuck in the last level of Migraine for ages. :D
I must say, for your first pack this is very impressive. I cant wait for more in the future. :thumbsup:

I attached my replays. I'm pretty sure that some of them are backroutes though.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
Thanks Nepster, and way to go Raymanni on completing the pack! :thumbsup:

I will take a look at Strato Incendus and your replies later on today. Hopefully most of them are intentional, but at the same time it will help me find the last of the backroutes before updating the pack.

By the way, in response to something IchoTolot said, I was planning on adding custom music to this pack but I didn't feel comfortable. However, I might just go ahead and see if I can get it right in the next update ;).

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »
Very nice levels! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My favorites are "Never getting back together" (which is a lot harder than its position suggests) and "The Abandoned Sanctuary". These have been excellent level! :thumbsup:

Replays (including backroutes) attached.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »
Okay, I have seen all replies and here are my comments.

General Remakes

Spoiler for Headache 4 (click to show/hide)

Strato Incendus

Raymanni

Spoilers for all levels (click to show/hide)

Nepster

Spoilers for all levels (click to show/hide)

Once again, thank you everybody for the replies.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 02:16:52 AM »
Me and Arty (on voice chat) streamed the first rank and some of this pack. I had a lot of fun; the levels were tricky and fun to solve.

Sadly, my voice did not record (again...) so you hear Arty talking to an imaginary person. :'(

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/170066522

the whole stream is in four parts. I have replays of everything I did here to if you'd like to see that.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »
Thanks möbius for streaming through my pack. I have to be honest: I’ve played through packs, I’ve seen people steam other people’s packs, but seeing someone stream my levels felt weird… in a good way though. ;)

I only had time to watch the first stream last night (will watch the rest today), but was too tired to write comments so I wrote them this morning: