Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration  (Read 36515 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
So, I've finally managed to solve a good chunk of this pack in one fell swoop! :party:

I skipped the level I got stuck on the last time ("An incident in the mine") at first - this one was really hiding in plain sight, relying on a trick I myself like to use very often.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some remarks to single levels:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:35:46 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
Finished at last! :)

I had a much higher motivation of trying to finish this pack than any of the others I was playing - partly due to its more accessible length, but also due to the nature of the levels: These more restricted, few-skill challenges are much more to my taste than navigating through huge level landscapes while effectively just trying to do resource conservation.

Perhaps that makes the pack slightly "easier" than the others, or it's just my perception because it's more rewarding - that's the magic mixture of "challenging, but not annoying" :) . Few other custom packs have managed to strike that balance for me so far; most of them, once the easy levels are over, quickly proceed to annoying the hell out of me :evil: . Lemmings Migration was a very pleasant surprise in this regard! :thumbsup:

It was still slightly too hard for me, but only barely so. On the Headache and Migraine rank, I usually got about 90-95% of the solution correct pretty quickly by myself, but then always found myself one skill short, or not knowing about a trick that could be done here, and had to look to Flopsy's LP for that final step to completion.

I also learned some interesting new tricks this way - although the most revolutionary one, the basher-blocker turnaround, apparently wasn't intended ;) , so I actually learned that trick from Flopsy, not from the levels itself - which I consequently started enforcing in my own levels.

Lemmings Migration has thus contributed hugely to the development of Lemmings World Tour, and I have to thank you for that! :thumbsup:

Single level remarks (always the most fun part about giving reviews :D ):

The main and only criticism of this pack is one you've already heard in my Level Design thread "levels relying on tricks"; in this regard, Lemmings Migration also influenced Lemmings World Tour, albeit in a different way, meaning that I have now created more trick-teaching levels specifically for that reason.

Whenever I have a level requiring a trick from the player which I consider somewhat obscure, there is now another level demonstrating that trick to make sure the player knows this option exists in general. Hopefully, putting loads of other levels with completely different demands in between will help hiding the solution of the later levels in plain sight, then :) .

I'm not that much referring to the apparently unintended basher blocker-turnaround here, but mainly to the other tricks like the "inside a tunnel-turnaround", or "building over a digger hole" etc., which apparently are part of the intended solutions indeed ;) .

The pixel precision on "Six days without an accident" shouldn't be regarded as too grave of a criticism of the pack as a whole. ;) Sometimes levels can just become unintentionally precise, as I experienced myself with Lemmicks's "Do not fear". It's simply one level I'd strongly suggest to make a little more lenient ;) , unless that somehow poses a danger to the solution, which I don't see at the moment, though.

My replays are attached. I would like to still give the original Migraine 10 a try, which you have removed from the pack (and I deleted the older iteration from my hard drive, unfortunately) - but I've seen the solution on Flopsy's channel anyway, I just don't remember that much of it, so it might still be somewhat of a challenge.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:26:19 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »
Thanks Strato Incendus so much for all your detailed feedback and comments! :thumbsup:

I apologize that it seems to have taken forever to respond in this thread. To be honest I have been feeling unmotivated to fix this pack and I think it's because I really want to add a lot of stuff into it like new levels but conflicted if it should just be another pack or a major update of this one. I thought I made up my mind but I'm still going back and forth :'( I just don't really like the sudden spike in difficulty and I want to take out one or two levels but I have to replace them and it's just a whole mess there :(

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
Short answer: If you want your levels to receive attention, create a new pack! :D

If you merely update an old pack of yours, people who have completed it already probably won't feel like returning to it - partly because they already know all the rest, and it's really just like playing additional single levels; partly because it feels like the creator is shifting the goal posts, resetting the player's status on the pack to "not completed" again :) .

Ask yourself how many people actually revisit levels after they have been backroute-fixed. ;) It's not just a pain to look for a new solution, but also there's usually a bunch of levels in between that have remained exactly the same. The worst part for the player is when the level order is changed, because then the old replays won't work, or have to be tried arbitrarily and possibly renamed - but the solutions themselves still aren't anything new.
My packs so far:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »
I played the new format version of this hit level pack, my solutions for all the 40 levels are attached. :)

My initial go at this pack here, my second go at V2.1 here.

Comments (contain spoilers):

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:44:34 PM by Akseli »

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
Thanks for playing again Akseli! :thumbsup:

Comments (click to show/hide)

@Strato your replays are next. Sorry for completely forgetting about them :(

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
Hi Nessy,

I just finished your first pack Lemmings Migration, and so I just wanted to send you my replays. I know you're not on as much these days, but I hope to see you around here sometime and get to know you some more. Other than your Contest #21 R3 entry, this is the very first time I have ever played levels by you. I also did an LP on this pack, and I will provide you a link to it once I get my videos uploaded to my Youtube. I asked the community what was a good first level pack to LP, and Proxima and Strato both recommended your pack Lemmings Migration. Hence why I decided to LP it. I will provide you a link as soon as it's uploaded and ready. I absolutely enjoyed my experience recording my very first LP for a pack, and so I will definitely be doing more in the future :) Who knows, I might even LP your Lemmings Destination pack in the future.

Like Icho, I thought I would be able to cruise through this pack easily, this being your first pack and all, especially considering that I just recently completed Lemmings United, but nope! Immediately at the start of the pack I was stumped. I can guarantee that the first video should provide much amusement and laughter hearing how I was already stumped for a few minutes on the very first level, Painless 1. There was at least 1 or 2 levels that managed to stump me good in each rank. Both the Painless and Irritation ranks I LPed in one video, and they ended up being about an hour long. The Headache and Migraine ranks both span multiple videos. I think completion of the pack was about 8 or 9 hours, so more than double the length Icho took to complete it.

Regarding this level pack, I absolutely enjoyed your pack! :thumbsup: This is a very well-done, high quality first pack. So many great levels here! Some of the levels were hard, but nothing I couldn't handle, even if some took me a while to figure out, as evidenced by the multiple videos on a few levels in my LP. I admit even the Headache and Migraine ranks got me a bit scared, but I ended up liking so many of them :) There were some fiddly levels that I wasn't too much of a fan of, but they are far and few in between, and the many great levels in the pack more than outweigh that issue.

Now feedback on some of the levels.

With this, I have to commend you for giving even someone like me who managed to beat Lemmings United after so much struggling a good run of my level solving abilities. Once again, very well done with this pack, and I look forward to playing your other pack Lemmings Destination in the future. Also, I'll send you a link of my LP of Lemming Migration as soon as my videos are uploaded and ready ;)

edit: Ok, my entire LP of your pack is now ready and uploaded to my Youtube.

edit 2: Removed the link to my LP in this post. I have the new updated link in my new post below.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:53:36 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »
I went back and added chapters to each video of the Lemmings Migration LP. New updated link to the LP is here: Kaywhyn's First LP of a Lemmings level pack: Lemmings Migration. Enjoy! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2020, 01:05:27 AM »
Quote from: kaywhyn
I just finished your first pack Lemmings Migration, and so I just wanted to send you my replays. I know you're not on as much these days, but I hope to see you around here sometime and get to know you some more.

Hey @kaywhyn! Thank you so much for all the kind words and feedback :thumbsup: I will definitely be going over all of your feedback and your LP of the pack this week :) I look forward to it and I'll try to comment on the videos directly as I go.

Also yeah I haven't been very active lately (hence completely missing this message). Just a lot of real life stresses that have really burned me out a little bit and I hope to change this before the year ends by finally finishing my long overdue update of Lemmings Destination, so hopefully if you were still interested in playing it in the future it'll be ready to go!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2020, 01:24:34 AM »
Hey @kaywhyn! Thank you so much for all the kind words and feedback :thumbsup: I will definitely be going over all of your feedback and your LP of the pack this week :) I look forward to it and I'll try to comment on the videos directly as I go.

So awesome hearing from you, Nessy! :thumbsup: I had such a blast when I was doing my LP of your Lemmings Migration pack that I decided definitively that I'll be doing more LPs in the future. It's interesting, because I decided to get into LPing just for the fun and experience. No one had ever told or asked if I ever considered LPing level packs. I simply decided to personally get into it just because I thought it would be a lot of fun. Just as I thought, I enjoy it so much. Plus, I'm sure the community would love to hear and see how someone like me approaches level solving, since the consensus around here appears to be that the community regards me as one of the top solvers. Well, I'm more than happy to share my solutions online in the forums AND on my Youtube and my expertise in level solving. I provided you the link to my LP above. Finally, I feel this community could always use more LPers.

Also yeah I haven't been very active lately (hence completely missing this message). Just a lot of real life stresses that have really burned me out a little bit and I hope to change this before the year ends by finally finishing my long overdue update of Lemmings Destination, so hopefully if you were still interested in playing it in the future it'll be ready to go!

Lemmings Destination is definitely on my to-play list at some point, so rest assured that I will definitely be giving your sequel level pack a go. I might even consider LPing it too, but for now, for the next few LPs I do, I have decided to LP a couple more small packs before moving on to larger packs, like your Destination pack, to LP. A pretty good and reasonable strategy, I think, especially to first ease oneself into the LP experience and to test the waters before deciding to do more if it ends up being very enjoyable, like it has been for me.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »
Hi,

I decided to give this pack a try, recommended by Kaywhyn :) I quickly played through the lower two ranks. Since I'm a fan of small levels, I think this a very good pack so far - not trivial, but also not too difficult. The music is also pretty decent. I probably backrouted some levels, such as Irritation 3,5 and 7.

All my solutions can be found on my yt-channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOahFY7zAWCoGpKOQdUf7mw

Offline LemFan

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2021, 03:14:01 PM »
ok solved the pack. I didn't think any level was difficult really, although I think I backrouted most (way too many skills left)