Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 132348 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2020, 03:09:46 PM »
I have finished the remaining 3 ranks and thus all my replays are attached, from LP1 1 through NLI 15. There's 140 levels total, but the zip file only has 138 replays due to two broken levels in the LPIII Gimmicks rank, 21 and 28. The two replays for those levels are attached in my previous post, where they are solutions but don't work since direct drop is disabled.

Feedback on Step 8: Other LP

This rank was pretty much a grab bag in terms of gimmicks, featuring the ones that have yet to appear in the pack. The only standard levels with no gimmick active were Other LP 1 - Terrible Sky, Other LP 15 - Remember Your Beginnings...?, and Other LP 16 - Minesweeper. The first level wasn't too bad, although a lot happens in the first 30 seconds or so, with a lot of skill assignments. Luckily, the save requirement is very lenient. 15 is a seemingly impossible level, as it's not possible to reach the exit at the top due to the skillset, which means there must be an accessible hidden exit. Indeed, the level is over extremely quickly. It's possible to beat the level with just one skill. For the last one, I still don't understand how to play Minesweeper. Guess I never understood the rules of the game. Indeed, the exploding mine sound took me by complete surprise the first time it happened. I'm sure there's some trick to discovering which sectors are booby-trapped and which ones aren't due to the numbers, but what it is I'm not sure. Thus, the level was a completely blind guess at every moment. I ended up taking about a good 5 minutes to solve the level. Of course, this level is extremely easy in later NL versions, as you can simply activate CPM.

The rest of the levels of the rank featured various gimmicks that haven't been used yet in the pack. Other LP 2 - Quarantined Threat uses the zombie gimmick, Other LP 3 - Nothing Lasts Forever uses exhaustion, which I believe has already been used, Other LP 4 - Boomballoon and Other LP 7 - Plutonium Lemming use the larger blast radius of the bomber skill, and honestly for 4 this took me by complete surprise as I stared at my screen with an extremely big bomber hole (obviously I never caught on with the level title), Other LP 5 - Try Anything Once and Other LP 12 - The Sandpit both use permanent skills only last for one use, the former is the first level in the entire pack to feature preplaced climber lemmings, Other LP 6 - Acid Leak and Other LP 9 - Pocket of Air both use rising water at a much faster rate than the standard used in Lemmicks, Other LP 8 - Glider Frenzy is similar to the floater frenzy levels in that pause can't be used but this time the glider skill is used instead of the floater, Other LP 10 - Finally... is a standard karoshi level with no other gimmicks active,and finally Other LP 14 - SUPERLEMMING III: Desert Escape combines the superlemming and rising water gimmicks.

This rank was definitely easier than the last few. None of these levels were too hard except for Other LP 7. Here, I thought it was going to be extremely fiddly due to the huge bomber radius gimmick, but it actually turns out that I simply went about the level completely wrong, where I quickly dismissed the area between the starting platform and the water as pointless too quickly. Once I realized that it did indeed have a purpose, then the level was easy. The other difficult one was Other LP 10, but that is because it is a huge time cruncher. Without it, it's a very easy level. Also, the fact that the entrance is a preassigned floater hatch took me by complete surprise, but it does make it obvious in that the only way to kill them is to make them drown. The challenge, then, is to get from the bottom to the very top of the level within the 2 minute time limit. You simply can't afford to make any mistakes or you'll run out of time. Fortunately, it's a 10-of-everything level, but resources can still be tight, especially builders. In my solution I used all the builders and had only a few seconds remaining.

Two levels deserve special mention. They are Other LP 11 - The Midnight Bridge, which uses the clock gimmick, and Other 13 - Traptastic, which features wrap. I do believe namida might be right about the former in that he's the only one to have made use of the gimmick in any level. Nevertheless, I actually really did attempt the level for a good 10 minutes before realizing it's impossible to solve with the given skillset. Also, I cheated, as I did a search with the level title here in the forums, where it's revealed that the clock gimmick is used. Thus, the solution is simple.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other LP 13 also deserves special mention, as it's also a seemingly impossible level until you realize what gimmick must be active. After a good 3 minutes, I deduced that wrap must be active, as it's not possible to solve the level otherwise with the skillset given. I don't think the level title hints to it other than the hidden traps in the level.

My favorite level of the rank would have to be Other LP 5. It's a very good puzzle with a really good solution :thumbsup: Not too difficult to work out at all, as long as you know how to get around the gimmick active in the level. Other LP 14 would have to be a close second. Despite the Superlemming gimmick, I felt very engaged with the level, as it instills a sense of urgency as you try and escape the very fast rising water as well. Thank you for not combining it with the frenzy gimmick, though! Even then, it might not be that much harder, especially since you only have 1 lemming to worry about. Nice red herring with the swimmer pickup. As a matter of fact, I don't think any solution exists that uses the pickup. I fell for the ploy and quickly realized that it's simply a trap as you won't be able to destroy all of the terrain before the water catches up.

Feedback on Step 9: DDL2

These were levels from the later cancelled DDL2 pack. In addition to zombies, some of the levels featured ghosts or both zombies and ghosts. Interestingly enough, this rank was easy too, although there were still a couple of hard ones. The hardest levels in the rank for me were DDLII 12 - Ilemminati and DDLII 13 - The Fortress. The former took me a while to spot the solution, and it's certainly quite difficult due to the skillset. The latter was especially fiddly, so I'm wondering if there's a much better solution than the one I found. DDLII 9 - It's A Ghastly Story and DDLII 10 - Guardian Angels were a bit difficult as well, but I really liked these two! :thumbsup: Especially the latter, which was probably my favorite level of the rank. I did thought I had a working solution for the former, but unfortunately due to using a blocker to turn a builder this would end up with me being 1 short of the save requirement after the ghost mines out the crowd. This really means that the only loss you're allowed is the ghost. I struggled for a while in figuring out how I could rectify the solution. It wasn't until I realized that I have to finish the bridge from the other side with the ghost lemming. Then the solution came together. I also really liked DDLII 15 - Lemmy and the Chocolate Factory. Very nice solution and level! :thumbsup:

Feedback for Step 10: NLI

These were rejected levels from the very Old Formats version of the NL Introduction pack. I have already played the pack from a few months ago and given you feedback in its level pack topic, but I still ended up doing this rank just for completeness. Upon first glance with many of the levels, I remembered the gimmick it used. There were only a few that I couldn't remember, but they're easy to work out once you let the level play out. The impossible level in this rank brings you to back to LPII Gimmicks (Step 3) 12 - Uptime for the secret level unlock. After you finish this level, it brings you to level 13 of the rank. I proceeded to play the next few levels of the Step 3 rank again, and then I stopped upon reaching level 15. At that point, I'm assuming the game will simply make you go through the levels in the pack in order again.

Overall Thoughts on This Pack

Regarding the first rank, yea, the only level that doesn't deserve to see the light of day again is the 7th level. Way too many split second assignments in the span of several seconds. The rest of the levels were all right, although I think I'm certainly glad that very annoying gimmicks like the one skill per lemming got culled, and hence I won't have to deal with it when I play through your other Lemmings Plus packs in New Formats. The hardest ranks for me were definitely LPII Repeats (Step 2) and LPIII Gimmicks (Step 6). The former due to some extremely fiddly levels with extreme pixel precision, in addition to super tight timers, the latter mostly due to the one skill per lemming gimmick but also because it's the largest rank in the pack at 29 levels. As mentioned before, between the two most prominent gimmicks in this rank, backwards lemmings and one skill per lemming, I grew to especially hate the latter, which was a gimmick I didn't mind when I played through Lemmicks. I think it's because there were only a few levels that had it. There was no entire rank featuring that gimmick. The former gimmick can be annoying, but it's nowhere near as annoying as the one skill per lemming gimmick. It's confusing more than anything, but it's also been a while since I played Lemmicks or any levels featuring the culled gimmicks.

As is the case with most packs currently available, this is most certainly not a pack for beginners! There's a lot of hard levels for an entire pack consisting of rejected levels. The first rank is most certainly the easiest, especially since I have already played LPI but on Dos many years ago, and hence I breezed through the entire rank in about 15-20 minutes, but because this rank does not feature any gimmicks (the entire LPI pack doesn't have gimmicks). Rank 2 LPII Repeats also doesn't have any gimmicks, but it is considerably harder than Rank 1. As I previously mentioned, the very sharp and harsh increase in difficulty going from Rank 1 to Rank 2 caught me off guard and was totally unexpected. Some of the later ranks I thought were easier, but there's still a handful of very difficult levels. Perhaps one of the easier early ranks after the first two would be Rank 5: LPIII Repeats. This is due to the first half being very easy X-of-everything levels, but after the first 7 such levels, the rank is done playing around and immediately hits you with a somewhat difficult non-X-of-everything level with a skillset that doesn't come anywhere near resembling such a level in the 8th level. The remainder of the rank stays quite difficult.

I think I would have to say it was due to Rank 2 and Rank 6 that I didn't enjoy this pack as much as I should had. I still enjoyed the pack to a certain extent, and it's true that it takes a lot in order for me to rage at levels when I'm solving, but this pack happened to be one that just frustrated me beyond anything I have ever played. So perhaps what I'm getting at is that there aren't as many levels that I think deserve to see the light of day again after having played through this entire pack. There were a handful of really good levels, but most of the other levels ended up being too frustrating for me. Yet here I am, where I endured and played through the whole pack, and I certainly blame the fact that I'm a completist, where I have plans to play all packs for very Old Formats, Old Formats, and New Formats. It should also be clear that I rather play and solve levels rather than design, though I will certainly try my hand at level making soon despite how I have said over and over that I'm no good at all. I mostly say this due to how I have always been an extremely bad artist. I'm the only person in my household who cannot draw. Of course, one doesn't do it this way when using the editor, since the pieces are already provided. Unless of course one makes new graphic sets, but aesthetics is something to still take into consideration when designing levels, though not mandatory in any way.

Still, this pack is available for anyone who wants to try their hand at it. The .nxp file I attached in my previous post is the one to download, as it does fix the two problem levels I mentioned with the game crashing with a fatal error. I'm quite surprised I managed to get all of the pack working with the FlexiTool by rebuilding the .nxp file, considering that I have never ever used it beforeThe one I had before was from Wafflem's list of levels on the NL levels board, which does have the two problem levels that don't even load properly or take you to the preview screen, as the game crashes before it happens. A working copy of the first level replaced the corrupt one, while I added the style that Step 9 level 6 needs, and hence the game no longer crashes on any level. You're welcome ;)

Gotcha Again! :P is the harder of the two, although it's not a very hard level. It's mostly due to how I did the starting area, and my solution ended up being very different from Icho's and much more fiddly.

This level was actually, more recently, remade in a regular style to replace a broken-beyond-repair-by-NL-updates level in Lemmings Plus IV. The LPIV version of this level is Insane 4 "Toxic Tales".

The former [Cable Lock] is very similar to a Lemmings Plus Alpha level, so I wondered if namida looked to that for inspiration, while the latter features an extremely clever way to use the Dolly Dimple trick.

You are absolutely correct. There is also a Lemmings Plus VI level based off "Plentiful Plans", although the main solution is a bit more lenient and a Plentiful Plans-like solution is required only for the talisman. The level in question is Manic 16 "The Bottom Line".

Thanks for the info, namida! :thumbsup: I'll definitely look out for them when I eventually play through your other LP packs. The Omega packs are also on my to-play list eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »
Other LP 10 - Finally... is a standard karoshi level with no other gimmicks active,

It also (gimmicks aside) follows the same formula as the No Time To Die levels, hence the name.

Other LP 13 [Traptastic] also deserves special mention, as it's also a seemingly impossible level until you realize what gimmick must be active. After a good 3 minutes, I deduced that wrap must be active, as it's not possible to solve the level otherwise with the skillset given. I don't think the level title hints to it other than the hidden traps in the level.

There's a bit of context in its original version, that is missing in the Recycling Bin and you won't pick up on if you haven't played Lemmings Plus Omega. "Traptastic" is LPO's once-per-rank level. It occurs in each rank, with the same layout and stats, and a 2 each of a few skills skillset, but each iteration changes what those skills are. LPO, in early versions, had a 5th rank dedicated to gimmick levels, and this was that rank's iteration of Traptastic. (Indeed, the other four iterations of Traptastic are still in LPO to this day.) One level from this rank is still in LPO now, as the only gimmick it used was zombies: "Night of the Lemming Dead", which is now Mental 25.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2020, 09:58:06 PM »
Other LP 10 - Finally... is a standard karoshi level with no other gimmicks active,

It also (gimmicks aside) follows the same formula as the No Time To Die levels, hence the name.

I remember this level being quite difficult in LPI. Not only that, it's an extremely tight 2-minute timer as well, just like Other LP 10.

Other LP 13 [Traptastic] also deserves special mention, as it's also a seemingly impossible level until you realize what gimmick must be active. After a good 3 minutes, I deduced that wrap must be active, as it's not possible to solve the level otherwise with the skillset given. I don't think the level title hints to it other than the hidden traps in the level.

There's a bit of context in its original version, that is missing in the Recycling Bin and you won't pick up on if you haven't played Lemmings Plus Omega. "Traptastic" is LPO's once-per-rank level. It occurs in each rank, with the same layout and stats, and a 2 each of a few skills skillset, but each iteration changes what those skills are. LPO, in early versions, had a 5th rank dedicated to gimmick levels, and this was that rank's iteration of Traptastic. (Indeed, the other four iterations of Traptastic are still in LPO to this day.) One level from this rank is still in LPO now, as the only gimmick it used was zombies: "Night of the Lemming Dead", which is now Mental 25.

Thanks for the info again, namida! :thumbsup: Will look forward to it when I get to your Omega pack then.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2020, 06:43:11 AM »
@namida I just wanted to let you know that I started an LP of your LPI pack. Link is here: Kaywhyn's LP of namida's LPI pack

Yes, I'm well aware there are several LPs of this pack, and I know you did a creator's commentary video series on it :P Also, I first played the pack on Dos a long time ago. I solved all levels except for 2, where I know the solutions but they're almost impossible to pull off successfully on Dos. One of them that got removed in V7 was one that I solved in the first rank of your Recycle Bin pack,

while the other one is still in the NL version and is a repeat of Wimpy 1, found in the Psycho rank.

Enjoy! :P 

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2020, 02:17:12 AM »
Lemmings Plus 1 all solved and completely LPed. Replays attached. I have already provided a link to my LP of the pack, but I'll go ahead and put it here as well, just so my replays and LP link are all in one place.

LP link: Kaywhyn's LP of namida's Lemmings Plus 1 New Formats NL Version. Glad to see and hear you're enjoying my LP :P The largest pack I have LPed thus far. And it took just 6 LPs ;)

Thanks for letting me know about overlooking easier solutions on some of the levels. I don't know what it is with me and my tendency of overcomplicating solutions when I don't mean to and want to keep them as simple as possible. Just a bad habit of mine apparently :P

Feedback/Thoughts on the Pack

As was true when I played it on Dos years ago, I enjoyed it very much, and this also holds true playing the NL version. Despite being your first pack, this is still a well-done pack. Then again, there have been various updates to some of the levels in the NL version, especially when it was converted to New Formats, so it definitely felt the pack has improved greatly since. In particular, I grew up with the Dos version of the game, and I like it a lot despite the quirks/glitches of various game mechanics on the port. I have mentioned there were two levels on Dos that I didn't solve not because of the solution (I knew the solution to both, I just couldn't bother with getting the execution right on Dos), but due to them being almost impossible to pull off successfully on Dos. They are the old Danger 21 and Psycho 16. The former was removed in V7 and gave you nothing but blockers and diggers in order to horizontally bash. I finally solved the level in your Recycle Bin pack, but it's so much easier to do in NL due to being able to assign skills while paused and directional select. The latter is still in the NL version, and what I suspect was the solution on Dos was indeed the case when I later played the level on NL. It's a very interesting solution of keeping a basher going on wonky terrain. I think you mentioned you knew of this mechanic when you were trying to minimize skills on The Art Gallery level.

As is probably well-known for anyone who has played the pack, the X-of-everything levels are definitely done to death here. Not a bad thing, since I loved them for the fact that they were nice breather levels after all the very hard levels that I have played in the last several months. Mind you, I was able to solve all the hard levels, some after a bit of struggling but after a lot of struggles for most, but for once it was nice to play a lot of very easy levels again after so long. All the hard levels I've played definitely wear me out, both physically and mentally. As you probably know, I don't mind difficult levels and am willing to take on packs of any difficulty, but I should keep myself in check and balance out level solving by playing some easier ones too. Just keep in mind that the puzzly difficult ones fit my style and challenge better :P Because of this, I will likely enjoy your other Plus and Omega packs far more, even if I end up struggling so much or in the worse case scenario I'm not able to solve some of the levels.

I have constantly remarked in my LP that I remember a lot of the levels being annoying to execute on Dos. It's not necessarily the fault of the level but simply due to the shortcomings of the Dos port. The most drastic is not being to assign skills while paused and no directional select. For the former, one must have extremely quick reflexes to unpause and mouse clicking. At the same time, there are some things that might make some levels easier on Dos. I think the time limit is one. I believe time runs slower on Dos than it does on NL, meaning the huge time crunchers are only slightly easier, but not by much. They're still very difficult, but the slower clock does make some difference, just not very dramatically.

Mild Rank Feedback

Not much to say here other than it was great to play very easy levels here due to being X-of-everything and being very open-ended. At least the challenges here were far more varied and not dull like the Tame rank of ONML. Definitely more on par with the Fun ranking. There were only a few levels that had only 1 skill, but those are very easy as well.

Wimpy Rank Feedback

Gets a bit difficult, but it's still a very easy rank. Lots of X-of-everything levels galore here too. There were only a few levels that had very restricted skillsets, but those weren't too hard either. Wimpy 27 - Ready, Aim, Fire! definitely reminds me of Painless 1 from Migration in that both have 3 diggers only. However, I saw the solution to this level much faster than in Nessy's pack. I think it's due to how it's easier to make out the path where it's more open, in contrast to Painless 1 where the level looks more cramped and hence it was harder to make out the correct path to take. Wimpy 29 - Russian Rescue was probably my favorite of all the very restricted skillset levels in the rank. Very nice puzzle and solution! :thumbsup:

Medi Rank Feedback

I honestly didn't remember that this third rank also had a lot of X-of-everything levels just like the previous two ranks from when I played the Dos version. It's definitely due to the passage of time since I played the Dos version. At the same time, these levels start to deviate by giving you the same amount of each skill while severely limiting the number of one skill. The levels aren't as open-ended either. Also it's not like I will remember every single detail, as much as I am a detail-oriented person.

Medi 6 - This Is... was probably my favorite of the rank, especially since it's extremely satisfying to beat the clock here. I love time limits in this game. Medi 8 - Take Us All Home... is another great level. The puzzle isn't difficult, as it's very obvious where the builders need to be used, but rather the challenge is figuring out how to get the crowd out without the builders, as well as saving the climber(s) from going out the left side. I also liked Medi 10 - Bob's Mistake a lot too. Excellent puzzle and solution! :thumbsup: Medi 15 - Shooting Star is a nice, challenging puzzle that involves figuring out the right timing in order to give the worker enough time to bridge the gap before anyone arrives too early. I remember it being a bit annoying on Dos, but it's quite satisfying once the solution does work out.

In the second half of the Medi rank, to start off I really like Medi 16 - Grounded!. Very satisfying to beat the 1 minute clock in a not so straightforward challenging puzzle. Getting the timing right can be difficult, but it's an awesome level when the solution does work out :thumbsup: Medi 20 - The Diving Board is another great level that I liked. It deviates from most other levels in that it involves

Medi 24 - Eye of the Lemming was another favorite of mine with a great solution. Medi 27 - Take a Dive is yet another favorite of mine. Great puzzle and solution. Finally, Medi 30 - Consider Everything... is a great level where the original level's title would now be very fitting, although there will still be some irony in it, as seen in my solution where I didn't quite go all the way. Then again, I think the time limit prevents it from working anyway.

As mentioned on Discord last night, Medi 2 and Medi 28 were ones you mentioned where I overlooked the easy solution. The funny thing is that now that you mentioned it, I think I remember solving Medi 2 in the way described in the spoiler below on Dos a long time ago. I don't quite remember, but I might had.

I say the hardest in the rank is probably Medi 26 - So that's the plan... despite being a 20 of everything level. It's a nice solution, but it can be difficult to work out getting across safely. Interestingly enough, I would say Medi 25 - Wall of Wisdom is a close second for hardest of the rank. For this level, the solution isn't difficult at all, the execution can be annoying and difficult. It's certainly easier than the original I Am A.T level though.

Danger Rank Feedback

Ok, now the X-of-everything levels are mostly done and finally over with. Now we get into the kinds of levels that fit my style and challenge better.

Some Danger Levels Feedback (click to show/hide)

Psycho Rank Feedback

Even more great puzzles here which I absolutely enjoyed. Solving time slows considerably here, and a level in this rank took me multiple videos while all the others took one video to solve. Not too happy about that, but then again all of the LPs I've done all had at least 1 level where I needed more than 1 video to solve.

Some Psycho Levels Feedback (click to show/hide)

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this pack all over again. I have now played it on two different engines, Dos and NL. The NL one for sure is many times better with the puzzly levels in the later ranks, especially with the not so good levels from Dos that ended up getting replaced. At the same time, the NL version has had many updates over the years, so it's definitely gotten better over time. For sure still pretty good for your first attempt at a pack. This pack definitely still holds up well today. I would say your Psycho rank is the strongest out of the others, with Danger being a close second, followed by Medi.

Now I'm definitely looking forward to the other Plus and Omega packs when I get to playing them and seeing how much they will challenge me, especially the Omega packs. 

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
LPIII Timid and Dodgy Completed
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2021, 06:16:24 AM »
Completed LPIII Timid and Dodgy! These are great levels, some real treats in here (unusable Bombers aside ;P)

It's nice to see some of your sillier side coming through in this pack, but I'm by no means fooled by its cute and colourful exterior - these are some tough levels!

Looking forward to Rough and Fierce. I've completed most of these without hints so far, but I'll likely start needing more and more as the pack goes on.

The levels I needed hints for were:

All others were solved without help.

Solutions attached.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:24:48 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2021, 12:53:56 AM »
Aaand (LPIII) Rough levels completed! These were... well, rough! :lemcat:

Solved 12 of the 16 levels without hints. The ones I needed hints for were:

Favourite levels in Rough:

Looking forward to Fierce!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2021, 09:54:55 AM »
Hello,

First 3 ranks of Lemmings Plus 2 complete. Replays are attached. I'm cruising through this pack much faster than I thought I would. I've noticed a lot of the levels are really small and hence very short, so that's likely why. At the same time, there's no Bonus pack of the repeats or those with gimmicks due to how all gimmicks except for zombies got culled. In addition, from playing your Recycle Bin pack those LPII repeats and gimmick levels were quite difficult and a huge step up in difficulty, especially given that it's not your typical Bonus pack of easy, pushover levels. So, the pack as it is now are simply the originals rather than the nastier, more difficult repeats or with gimmicks.

Feedback on Nice Rank

In contrast to LPI, Nice does have a lot of X-of-everythings, but at the same time there are some levels that aren't mixed in with them. This is what makes Nice a bit more varied than the Mild levels. Otherwise, there's really not much for me to say about this rank, since it's just too easy. Then again, it is called the "Nice" rank :P However, there is one thing I need to point out and that is

There were also some levels in the rank that I recognized from the Recycle Bin pack. Nice 5 - Get Your Lemmings' Worth was the first one. Its repeat was quite a difficult one from the Recycle Bin pack, being a 1 minute level and making sure you save enough.

Nice 11 - Fun With Lasers is the next one. I don't remember what the skillset was from that pack. I think it even had the same level title or if not very close to it.

Nice 15 - To Lem, Or Not To Lem would be another level I recognized from the Recycle Bin Pack. I remember the builders being far more limited in the repeat version. I also remember

Finally, Nice 18 - MEGALEMMINGS! looks quite nice with the humongous Lemmings sprites. Nicely done here :thumbsup:

Feedback on Cheeky Rank

As for Cheeky, there isn't much to say about this rank either. It's only slightly a step up in difficulty from Nice, but not by much. I do recognize Cheeky 5 - A Violation of Lemming Rights from the Recycle Bin pack, although this one was a timed level, and I remember it was quite tight. I think it was also a 99RR level.

Cheeky 7 - Yours Treely I would say is probably the first level in the pack that's a bit difficult and pretty much the level where the pack pretty much starts to stop messing around, at least in terms of dropping the X-of-everythings, where they still appear on occasion, just nowhere near as much as before. Contrast with the Wimpy rank of Lemmings Plus 1, which still had a lot of X-of-everythings in the second rank.

For Cheeky 8 - Just Breathe..., is there a reason why this isn't an X-of-everything level? You have 3 of everything except for builders, where you have 4. The level's very much possible with just 3 builders. Guess you just wanted to break from the X-of-everything pattern? :crylaugh:

Cheeky 11 - One-Lem Wonder I recognize, as I played its repeat version in the Recycle Bin pack. However, instead of only 1 lemming, there was more lemmings and it was much harder due to the very limited builders. It was also

Cheeky 14 - Land of the Lost is another level I recognized as having played the repeat version from the Recycle Bin pack. The repeat version is harder due to the very strict time limit. I didn't have to, but I decided to complete this level as if it had the 2 minute time limit. Other than exclusion of the time limit here, I think there was a slightly different skillset, but I don't remember. Also, I believe this is the last of the repeat of a Lemmings Plus 2 level I've played in the Recycle Bin pack? Meaning the rest of the levels in the pack should all be ones I haven't played before. The ones that weren't repeats in the Recycle Bin pack weren't included in this pack, I think?

After this, except for Cheeky 15 - To The Treehouse and Cheeky 20 - Kickback Scheme, which I felt were levels appropriate for their position late in the rank, the levels in between them are easy for their positions, so I don't know what they're doing so late in the Cheeky rank. Cheeky 19 - The Road To Nowhere might be fine for its position, but it's still easy despite the strict time limit.

Although I didn't find anything too hard in the Cheeky rank, I would say the hardest level is most certainly Cheeky 20. It's still not too hard, though, just harder than most of the levels around it, so it's position as the final level of the rank is appropriate.

Sneaky Rank Feedback

These levels were definitely far more interesting than the ones in the first two ranks. This rank is definitely a step up in difficulty, but not much. Still some X-of-everything levels, just almost non-existent at this point in the pack.

Sneaky 2 - Ascenario is certainly a step up in difficulty from Sneaky 1. It's still not very hard even with the tight timer, but it does require some thought on how to get up to the exit with the given skillset and very limited builders.

Sneaky 5 - Misfortune of the Masses was probably my first favorite level of the rank despite how I'm generally not a fan of levels where you have to repeatedly spam the same skill to several lemmings. In this case, it's not a trivial splat hatch level, but I think the puzzle after that is quite nice. Great job here ;)

Sneaky 6 - Flash Flood ramps up the difficulty again, but it's still not very hard.

Both Sneaky 7 - Heroic Heights and Sneaky 8 - Lemming Surge were levels I like. I'm so proud with one shotting the latter and finding the solution extremely fast on it. Quite a clever solution! :thumbsup:

Then the difficulty ramps up yet again with Sneaky 9 - Rolling Rampage. Here, for some reason I didn't realize that 2 bombers are provided, and so I struggled more than I needed to. Even then, the level's still a bit difficult. Not overly hard, but it is challenging.

Sneaky 10 - Drought Season isn't difficult because of the puzzle or the time limit, but rather the challenge is making sure that you save enough lemmings. In my solution, it might be possible to save a couple more extra, but I'm not sure.

Sneaky 12 - From the Lemming's Mouth I like with how

Sneaky 13 - When Only A Lemming Will Do I'm still in awe that the level's even possible in just 1 minute. Definitely a difficult one, though.

Sneaky 16 - Dive From the Dunes is pretty much like Cascade from OL except that the save requirement is higher. Still a neat level, though.

Except for Sneaky 17 - The Playground, which I felt is easy for its position late in the rank despite how you have less builders than the other skills, which you have equal amounts of in large quantities, the rest of the levels in this rank were all quite appropriate for the end of the rank. I especially like Sneaky 18 - A Two-Pronged Approach. Very nice, clever solution, and though I did struggle for about 5 minutes, I did pick up on the solution quickly.

Here I think the hardest of the rank is Sneaky 19 - Turnabout Lemming. It's difficult to work out the solution, but that's because I tried some incorrect things for a while. Still, the position of the level is appropriate for the penultimate of the rank.

Finally, Sneaky 20 - The Impossible Level was very easy and a super quick solve only because I'm already very familiar with the trick needed thanks to Icho's NL Tutorial Pack. I can otherwise see why it can be hard for others who aren't. Very nice no-builders level to end the rank!

In regards to these custom tilesets of yours, quite nice. I especially love the Tree (I think that's what it's called?) tileset, but that's because green happens to be my favorite color. Nice job with them. Purple not so much, but that's only because I dislike purple as a color. Probably sounding strange coming from me, but it's just me :laugh:

2 more ranks to go! I expected the challenges to really ramp up with the Sneaky rank, but so far the levels have proven to be too easy for me. I have a feeling all of this will change with the Cunning rank. Guess I'll find out when I start solving more of the pack. Nevertheless, this pack is definitely a step up in quality in terms of puzzles and design from your Lemmings Plus 1 pack ;)       

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 01, 2021, 12:01:51 PM »
Lemmings Plus 2 complete. My entire replay collection is attached. Feedback on the Cunning and Genius ranks.

Cunning Rank Feedback

Now this is where the challenges ramped up and the difficulty suited and fitted me better. A lot of these were quite satisfying to solve, whereas before this rank I considered the pack was too easy for me :P

Genius Rank Feedback

The challenges ramp up even more to my liking. Even for the final rank the levels for the most part weren't extremely hard.

Overall, nice job with this pack. While there's still signs for improvement here, it's still a step up in quality from LPI, especially with how there's more diversity and variety in the challenges. In addition, it was great seeing your custom tilesets, but due to how it's only these 5, it definitely did get boring very quickly with the same ones. Had there been far more tilesets included, I think this would had made the pack better. Then again, it is quite an early pack of yours, so this is forgivable. I think I might see a wider range of tilesets used in your later packs?

I did point out that had this been my second custom pack or so, I probably would had struggled more due to less experience with custom packs. By this point in time, I have solved probably close to 20 NL custom packs before taking on LPII, and so because of all the training and experience I have gained, this pack was quite easy for me for the most part :laugh: Indeed, the pack started getting difficult for me near the end of the Sneaky rank, but the real challenges started showing up in the Cunning rank and even more so with the Genius rank. You did rate this pack's difficulty as medium, which I can certainly agree with :P The true test of my abilities with your packs should be when I get to LPV and LPO2, but they're not going to be for a while, since I still need to do all your other packs leading up to them first :P I'll get there eventually, but there's plenty of other packs I would like to cover in my LPs as well. I already solved all of Alpha from several months ago ;)

Hope the feedback is helpful and am glad to hear that you're enjoying my LP very much ;) It's definitely fun for the author to see and hear another person solving his or her own pack in real time. 

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 01, 2021, 04:02:55 PM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:11:57 PM by chrisleec728 »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 01, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »
@chrisleec728 Thanks for confirming with Cunning 12 and Genius 11. However, you didn't quote the stuff in spoiler correctly. There's a reason I put what I wrote in spoilers: Others might want to play the pack and figure it out for themselves. Hence, when quoting, make sure to leave the [/spoiler] tags on each end. Also, I think sometime ago I got a notification from you that you subscribed to my channel. The email said that Chris C******** (intentionally omitted the remaining letters of the second word) subscribed to me. I left a post on your channel asking if you're chrisleec728 here on the Forums.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:40 PM »
@chrisleec728 Thanks for confirming with Cunning 12 and Genius 11. However, you didn't quote the stuff in spoiler correctly. There's a reason I put what I wrote in spoilers: Others might want to play the pack and figure it out for themselves. Hence, when quoting, make sure to leave the [/spoiler] tags on each end.

Whoops, my bad! Hopefully it's fixed now.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2021, 07:23:15 PM »
Yea, it is. However, it seems that some are unaware that you can simply do this and leave your response outside of the spoiler tags, as your stuff isn't what I consider spoilers, just the feedback I wrote is ;)

Also, I asked if that's your YT username.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2021, 07:30:18 PM »
Also, I think sometime ago I got a notification from you that you subscribed to my channel. The email said that Chris C******** (intentionally omitted the remaining letters of the second word) subscribed to me. I left a post on your channel asking if you're chrisleec728 here on the Forums.

My response is on my channel :)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 14, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
ok, here is the backroute (NL) for Psycho 24 (in Lemmings Plus I) that seems to work in Superlemmini, as the intended solution will not work in Superlemmini due to the big trigger area in SL. So as long as the backroute works or is allowed in NL, Superlemmini's version of this level, I guess can remain.

Edit: Credit kaywhyn for this backroute

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:03:39 PM by ericderkovits »