Poll

What is your current position on this idea?

I can see ways I would use this in my levels
6 (60%)
I don't have specific ideas for it but would like to play around with it
1 (10%)
I don't see myself using it, but would like to play levels with it
2 (20%)
I do not think this should be included
1 (10%)
I have no opinion either way
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Potential new object - Portals  (Read 442 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Potential new object - Portals
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »

I prefer

- instant movement to the new position without warp graphic.

- Portals being two-way sounds good.
Two-way portalling is problematic because we obviously don't want a portalled lemming to warp back on the next frame.
This is a good point. My suggestion : If a lemmings is portalled from A to B, he should get out of the trigger area of the portal B in order to use portal B(so he can portal to A again.) This is similar to how splitter works. A lemmings should get out of the trigger area of the splitter to flip the splitter again.(This is why we can't see madly dancing arrow that switch its direction every frame when we place a blocker right at the splitter)

I have no idea on what kind of visual should be used for portal.. ;P

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
  • Discord Server Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 08:14:45 PM »
Considerations:
- Where should the warping lemming graphic come from? The lemming sprites? A universal default? Or should there be no warp graphic, with simply a sound and an instant movement to the new position?
- For that matter, what should the warping lemming graphic look like? (For reference, Lemmings 3D's teleporter uses sparkles with no visual trace of the actual lemming. A similar animation could easily be universal and work with all spritesets.)
- The portal could be further distinguished from the teleporter by being two-way. What do people think of this idea?
- What kind of visual guideline should be used for portal design, in particular to distinguish them from regular teleporters?

if anyone said this before me, I apologize. But here's my thoughts on the matter

Because Teleporters are traps that send a lemming somewhere instead of killing them, Portals can be considered fire but instead of lemmings getting burned to a crisp, lemmings play a quick universal teleporting animation to sent to the other side. Their teleports would be instantaneous and can take multiple lemmings at once like fire rather than one lemming at a time.

In terms of visuals, They should constantly animating like fire, the portals wouldn't stop since they'd likely be considered an always active object.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »
I agree with those who think that the lemming's current skill should be maintained through a portal. First, it's consistent with how teleporters already work. Second, if the two objects were to be different, I'd expect it to be the other way around, i.e. portals continue, but teleporters cancel, but since teleporters are too ingrained to change, just make both objects work the same in that regard.