Poll

One line or two lines for the menu? (See reply #144)

One line
3 (30%)
Two lines (spaced)
7 (70%)
No preference
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: [PROPOSALS][PLAYER] New menu design  (Read 27812 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [PROPOSALS][PLAYER] New menu design
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2020, 08:03:38 PM »
For reference, my mockup earlier in the topic that makes the panels taller does not stretch them by 2x. Rather, it stretches them based on how much the DOS version's internal ratio, would be stretched on a normal screen size of the time (4:3 aspect ratio), or in other words, the final graphic - lemming included - is either 86 or 87 pixels tall (depending which way I rounded it, I don't recall). Of course, this doesn't have to be maintained exactly.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »
The texture on the cards and the shading looks awesome, but the graphic itself needs to be un-stretched horizontally (or rather, stretched vertically).

So... in the most recent example, mockup 3's overall artistic look but with mockup 1's general proportions (albeit resized by 200% so it's bigger) seems the way to go IMHO. Here's my own mockup of how this could look (also re-done the eyes slightly):

As for the logo, it's definitely an improvement but I'd like to see a few other ideas before settling on any particular one. If the menu itself is retaining the DOS aesthetic generally, then maybe a completely new logo would do the trick of setting NeoLemmix that bit further apart.

Font-wise, Cooper is OK. I'd also put forward Showcard Gothic (one of my personal faves) or maybe we could design a custom font that looks like the words have been painted on...? EDIT: Thinking about it, it would be really great to see Zanzindorf's logo/menu style with Showcard Gothic as the font actually. I particularly think the logo would look great with that font and Zanzindorf's texturing style.

Finally, I still think 1 row would be best ultimately.

Other than that, I'd say the current ideas are already a vast improvement as they are, so let's keep the momentum going. You're doing an awesome job of putting these together, btw @Zanzindorf! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:58:20 PM by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »
I am a bit torn between 2 and 3 for my favorite. These two are different but both very good. Although I like the lemming on 2 a better.

I think the proportion on 1 is way too small and it would be my least favorite.

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »

That's why I suggested resizing it by 200% (see previous comment). I agree, it looks way too small in Zanzindorf's mockup comparison, but it can simply be enlarged to fit the same horizontal space as the others whilst also maintaining its vertical proportion.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
That's why I suggested resizing it by 200% (see previous comment).

Saw that. I still think they should be more horizontal than vertical as in 2, 3 or 4. It just looks way better.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2020, 12:20:49 AM »
the lemming on 2 looks high af

I prefer the font on 4 but the lemming on 1 and the background colour on 2 so really im no help at all.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:39 AM »

That's why I suggested resizing it by 200% (see previous comment). I agree, it looks way too small in Zanzindorf's mockup comparison, but it can simply be enlarged to fit the same horizontal space as the others whilst also maintaining its vertical proportion.

200% would likely make it too tall. Again, I'd think a stretch reflecting the difference between DOS's internal rendering resolution (640x350) and the 4:3 aspect ratio you'd get by vertically stretching this (640x480) will give a nicer result - this would correspond to about a 137% vertical stretch.

Though I'm certianly happy to consider both options. And it's certianly not off the table either that we ditch any links to the existing size and simply think "what works well for the new screen size, in general?" The only constraint I would like to enforce, if possible, is that existing rank graphics should fit on (but don't necessarily have to fill) the panel.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »
@zanzindorf

I just realized that I am in need of a logo for the introduction pack.

So I want to ask you, when the discussion about style and sizes is over, if you could maybe (if you have the time and motivation for it) create a logo in the same style as the new standard "NeoLemmix" logo that says "NeoLemmix Introduction Pack"? ???

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
@zanzindorf

I just realized that I am in need of a logo for the introduction pack.

So I want to ask you, when the discussion about style and sizes is over, if you could maybe (if you have the time and motivation for it) create a logo in the same style as the new standard "NeoLemmix" logo that says "NeoLemmix Introduction Pack"? ???

Sure! I'd love to :thumbsup: I'll DM you for more info later.

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »

Here's another mockup. This one is to test a different size for the buttons. I went with Namida's estimate instead of the full 200%, and I think that's the right choice. Now the graphics are 87 pixels tall I think. I added back a more subtle texture on the buttons. The rank graphic is still the same size, just on a larger panel.  I also redrew the lemmings for the new aspect ratio, though, they may need more work. Any feedback is appreciated!

Showcard Gothic

That's a good shout, I'll look into that font and others. Regarding alternate logo concepts, I've been thinking about other designs, but I can't seem to come up with anything, other than a redesign of the original DOS one. I'm open to suggestions, and would also totally love to see designs from others.

Regarding backwards compatibility:

Taller buttons look good, I'm in favor of it, and I don't think it will really interfere with the shorter buttons from older level packs. The mock up seen above is displaying in V12.9.4 without any modifications, other than the rank graphic placement. The placement of the rank is the only thing that will need adjusting after switching to this new size, if we decide to go this route. Currently, the rank displays over the new, taller button like this in game:

To fix this placement and also account for the older buttons without breaking them, maybe it's position could be calculated based on the height of the graphic, so it's always roughly centered?

The only other modification that might be needed, is maybe all the buttons need to be shifted up closer to the logo and further away from the bottom text (If we keep the two rows, if we do one row, this wouldn't matter.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
To fix this placement and also account for the older buttons without breaking them, maybe it's position could be calculated based on the height of the graphic, so it's always roughly centered?

Something like this will happen in any final build for sure, but for mockup purposes, you can add extra empty space at the top / left to pad it.

I also waited on giving direct feedback on the design itself to avoid too much influence, but now that it seems the general feedback is positive, I'll mention that I too really like your designs here. :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »
I too really like your designs here. :D

Yay! I'm glad you like it :laugh: The feedback I've been getting has helped a lot.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »
I'm fine with these new signs as long as we can still use custom ones for each individual pack. In particular, my custom ones for Lemmings World Tour look just like the original signs, but with different name tags attached to them. So I assume these are still going to look the same in the new menu versions.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »
the eyes are still off everything else is fine  black iris' and coloured pupils just make them look insane

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
The eyes drill holes into your soul. :lem-mindblown: :8():

Put the gold tailsman in front. :tal-gold:

Rename Step to Rank, it's the most common name.

Otherwise, lovely!

-- Simon