Author Topic: [Discussion][Player] Runner Skill potential and behavior  (Read 1921 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
[Discussion][Player] Runner Skill potential and behavior
« on: March 22, 2020, 11:08:06 PM »
To Branch off the Final Skill Topic

My one pick that I'd see the most use from is Runner.

The Runner's behavior is another Permanent skill and one I thought more about when it was brought up.
Here's what I'd imagine.
-Logistically, it'll travel more pixels at a time clearing more than a single pixel per frame. Like what 3, 4 or 6 pixels per frame? For the most part its the Super Lemming as a skill, while it won't do everything faster, but it can cover more distance in a short amount of time.
-As far as im aware, it'd probably wouldn't get more distance from the jumper if the limits of the engine were in mind, unless stated otherwise or if people are for longer jumps with the runner (or Longer but shorter jumper if the jumper is a runner)
-It can be used for separating a lemming from a crowd to get ahead in stuff like building to prevent lemmings falling into a pit or turning around from a wall and heading towards a hazard, having distance from a zombie allowing more use of zombie puzzles

This is a skill I want to use quite a lot if possible and I would be completely happy with it being the last one possible.
I still looking for other points of behavior in what else it can do or how else it would react to certain events.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [Discussion][Player] Runner Skill potential and behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 11:20:00 PM »
If we do get the Runner, I think it should function like the Lix runner: double speed, and it does make the jumper's arc longer (could also make it flatter).

One thing to note is that the Jumper can already separate a lemming from the crowd and get them further ahead so they can finish building or bashing before the crowd catches up, so the Runner is a bit less needed -- although sometimes the terrain isn't suitable for Jumpers, or adding Jumpers would create backroutes.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 11:24:17 PM »
I'd like to experiment with a runner also performing all or most other skills faster too. It sounds like it could be very interesting. Otherwise runner, while definitely is useful; not the most useful or interesting skill imo (If we had to choose one out of a lot)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 11:27:53 PM »
I'd like to experiment with a runner also performing all or most other skills faster too. It sounds like it could be very interesting. Otherwise runner, while definitely is useful; not the most useful or interesting skill imo (If we had to choose one out of a lot)

I agree totally, but I think Turbo Lemming has already been rejected as an idea due to coding complexity. I would have loved to see that as the 20th skill, maybe the Runner would be a good compromise...?

Whilst we're on the subject, check out my Tribute To The Forsaken SuperLemming. :lemcat:

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 12:02:17 AM »
I would have loved to see that as the 20th skill, maybe the Runner would be a good compromise...?

But not if "compromise" means the skill does a lot less... :P If it doesn't increase the speed of skill performance, only the speed of movement + the width of a jump (and even that second part was just described as a potential (!) thing in one of the above posts), then it's hardly worthwhile.

Because if the remaining main selling point is isolating a lemming from the crowd - aside from the fact that the Slider can also be used easily to accomplish that :P - more importantly, the Jumper can do that as well, and in a very similar manner to the Runner! ;) In fact, that is one of the main uses for the Jumper in Lemmings 2.

Yes, Lemmings 2 will also occasionally use the Runner to get one lemming ahead, or even the Runner and the Jumper in conjunction. But Lemmings 2 also replaces the Digger with the Stomper, the Miner with the Scooper, or the Basher with the Club Basher for no reason. L2 is just generally (in-)famous for its redundancy when it comes to different skill types. And also infamous for execution difficulty. Which is the one thing that inevitably arises then the Runner is being used for timing-based solutions.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 03:13:00 AM »
Just to be clear: I did not create or split off this topic from the other one; GigaLem started this of his own accord. This is allowed, but I want to make it very clear this isn't me endorsing the Runner skill specifically in any way.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)