Author Topic: [QUERY][EDITOR] Level Size  (Read 3734 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[QUERY][EDITOR] Level Size
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:53:46 PM »
Not sure whereabouts to ask this, but...

Does anyone know whereabouts in the Editor's code it specifies level size?

I know that it's possible to use a text editor to increase the size of a level, but when opening it in the editor it then snaps back to 2400...

I normally wouldn't be bothered about this, but I'm making an InfiniLems level that needs about an extra 5 or 600 px. If there's an easy way to customise the Editor I'll do that for now. If not, never mind: I'll try to make the level smaller.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [QUERY][EDITOR] Level Size
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »
2400 is the maximum size allowed.

As this number seems to be a problem for you: Be warned not to make the level to extremely large. It can really bring down the enjoyment while playing if size is not handled carefully and it's difficult to hadle size correctly.

Especially in combination with infinite skills which screams to be that you are mostly chaining task after task. At some point just spamming skills can become very annoying, especially if they are used for very obvious and repetitive things.

If not, never mind: I'll try to make the level smaller.

Try to make it smaller would be the best thing. Also be careful that the level does not require too much and too repetive skill spamming.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »
...and fittingly, nin10doadict has just converted his pack CasuaLemmings to New Formats ;) . This pack, if my memory serves me correctly, includes a rank called "Troll" as the final one. Repetitive skill spamming is one of the main trademarks of that rank.

Meaning, you should probably give this rank a try as a player before you create similar levels for InfiniLems ;) . See how you like it in practice first; if you find that you still enjoy this type of level, feel free to go ahead and make as many of them as you like... :P

I bypassed this 2400 pixel restriction with "The Grand Puzzle" (which is 4000 pixels wide), the last level from Lemmings World Tour - but that was only possible because I created the level in Old Formats and then converted it directly (with the pack converter / cleanse levels inside the New-Formats NeoLemmix player) without opening and saving it in the new editor.

Thanks to the Cleanse-Levels feature, I guess it would still be possible to create levels wider than 2400 pixels in the Old Editor and then convert them inside the New-Formats player... That doesn't mean you should do it, though. :P I've just shown you the door, but I advise you not to walk through it...

EDIT: And as namida said below, performance is definitely an issue with such a level width. I switched off the high-quality minimap for "The Grand Puzzle", and I would definitely not advise anyone to play it in high-res mode. Since you like high-res mode, being its main creator, you will probably have to pick and choose between stable, smoothly-running high-res levels and very wide levels ;) .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:06:08 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 08:02:46 PM »
Using "Find in files" to search for the number "2400" might help, but giving that advice is the limit of how much effort I'm willing to put into this, as I cannot think of any situation where a level would benefit from being that wide. Aside from the extremely high likelihood that such a level would be too tedious to actually play (personally - it's very likely I'd take one look at such a level and be like "nope", and skip to the next one, or stop playing the pack altogether), at that point performance is also a concern, especially when using high resolution and/or high-quality minimap.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
Just so I can get an idea of how big we're talking here, what was the level size in DOS Lemmings/vanilla Lemmix when levels weren't resizable?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 09:10:23 PM »
Just so I can get an idea of how big we're talking here, what was the level size in DOS Lemmings/vanilla Lemmix when levels weren't resizable?

1584 x 160.

This was specifically due to a quirk on the DOS version; on most other DOS-like versions of L1 it's 1600x160. (The exception here is Genesis, where it's 512x160.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »
Especially in combination with infinite skills which screams to be that you are mostly chaining task after task. At some point just spamming skills can become very annoying, especially if they are used for very obvious and repetitive things.

Repetitive skill spamming is one of the main trademarks of that rank.

Meaning, you should probably give this rank a try as a player before you create similar levels for InfiniLems ;)

I can't remember ever saying that InfiniLems would be about skill spamming. It absolutely isn't!

The idea of the pack to create epic levels that a player can enjoy exploring, carving out their own route for without being limited to a particular skillset. It allows the player the freedom to discover new skill applications for themselves.

In part, the pack is inspired by the 100%/new-skills challenges that I've taken part in; I really enjoyed having the freedom to use whatever skills I liked to find a solution.

This pack is really to try and replicate that experience for a player. As such, it's more likely to be a relatively easy, enjoyable pack than an annoying skill-spamming pack.

For reference, I've attached the first level that I've almost finished working on (EDIT - the attachment is in this post). It's a hybrid remix level with some new parts added and there are one or two moments requiring a bit of skill and forethought. Give it a try, let me know what you think. If it's what you'd call "spammy", do let me know: I'm trying to distance myself from trollishness at the moment!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:33:15 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 04:29:06 AM »
Using "Find in files" to search for the number "2400" might help

I've had a look on GitHub and even Cloned the code to SourceTree (side note: it's amazing to see how much work has gone into creating and maintaining the Editor!)...

I'm failing to see an option anywhere that lets you search for a line of code (i.e. I can't see "Find in files" anywhere, but I've also tried a few other things to no avail). If you're happy to point me in the right direction, I'll figure out the rest from there.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:34:24 AM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 06:13:02 AM »
I'm not sure where it is in the menu, but in Visual Studio (which you'd need to use compile it), the keyboard shortcut for "Find in Files" is Ctrl+Shift+F.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 06:28:25 AM »
I really think the heights of levels should change on future level packs so that they look great on my 1366x768 browser when using the HighRes' compact skill panel: I've tested that 152 or 304 pixels are my recommendation, but that's a separate story.

On topic again, being the first person to download this level, in its current state is impossible with no skills at all apart from pre-assigned climbers, and there are two areas I can count where "A ladder would be handy" (Hoping that will be the 20th skill), and I'm trying to figure out what that invisible one way area on the far right edge is. With no skills, it's a shame that someone has to go into the editor and modify the level to put the skills into it.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 08:27:24 AM »
On topic again, being the first person to download this level, in its current state is impossible with no skills at all apart from pre-assigned climbers... and I'm trying to figure out what that invisible one way area on the far right edge is

My mistake, I must have accidentally uploaded an earlier save of this level before I put the skills in. :forehead:

Also, the invisible one-way area was because the terrain hadn't been set to "allow one-way". It's (partially) a remix level, and sometimes the original levels' terrain can be a bit wierd like that when you just copy and paste it.

Anyway, all corrected now (also downloaded the attachment myself to make sure it's right!): enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:35:58 AM by WillLem »