Poll

How should the new skill experimentals be released?

As soon as they're ready
6 (37.5%)
Release them all at the same time
5 (31.3%)
No preference
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] The final new skill  (Read 44784 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] The final new skill
« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »
Me too, I think we have enough skills already. plus the fact, we can only choose only 10 different ones makes it kind of more difficult to choose which ones we want to use in the levels. There are times I wish I could use more than 10 as it seems 10 slots is just too few if there are going to be 20 skills.

But I think I remember voting for the Laser blaster. I think I would prefer an angled one, so shimmiers can go the the blast hole assuming it's at the right angle and the shaft is wide enough. as
Shimmiers along with cloners are my 2 favorite NL extra skills.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:39 PM »
The latter would be the crucial point, because if you're going to make the effort of programming all the contenders anyway, why would we actively remove one of them again at a later point?

You can think of it as that I'm going to go to the effort of making a draft implementation of each skill, and share that draft. Only if they show promise, it'll proceed to a refined "good copy" of the skill - otherwise the draft gets thrown out.

The experimental builds will likely have bugs, and I will only fix those bugs (within the context of the experimentals, I mean; obviously they'd be fixed for any skill making it into stable) if they interfere with being able to properly analyze the skill's usefulness. EDIT: Or, maybe, if they're really really easy to fix.

If what im hearing is correct then I'm glad to see that its more than one skill getting in.

It's not guaranteed. If only one skill proves itself worthwhile after testing / in-depth discussion, only that one skill will make it in. If none of them do, we might retain the status quo. All I'm saying is that I'm removing the limit on how many can make it in, and taking each skill at least as far as the "draft implementation" phase.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2020, 10:39:30 PM »
Does that include the Jetboarder with its single vote? :D

Based on the poll results, I've been assuming we're only talking about Laser Blaster, Slider, and destructive and creative projectiles. In other words, that the Jetboarder is out.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2020, 11:56:03 PM »
Does that include the Jetboarder with its single vote? :D

Based on the poll results, I've been assuming we're only talking about Laser Blaster, Slider, and destructive and creative projectiles. In other words, that the Jetboarder is out.

Yes, Jetboarder was ruled out a while ago.

It's down to the two kinds of projectile skills, plus Slider and Laser-Blaster.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #229 on: October 28, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »
Put up a poll regarding how the experimentals should be released. Poll is not necesserially going to be the deciding factor, but I'd like to get an idea nonetheless.

(Though note that in no case will they be released before V12.10.0 stable is out.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #230 on: October 28, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
I voted "as soon as they're ready," but I'm thinking that mostly I think they shouldn't be released all at once. Instead, what I'm thinking is that we should focus on each one individually, instead of having several experimentals floating around at the same time.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2020, 03:03:30 AM »
I voted "as soon as they're ready," but I'm thinking that mostly I think they shouldn't be released all at once. Instead, what I'm thinking is that we should focus on each one individually, instead of having several experimentals floating around at the same time.

I agree that we should focus on each skill individually, but maybe having them all released at the same time would avoid multiple experimental builds if each skill is released separately...?

I voted "no preference", though, because I also think that discussion is more likely to develop organically as and when things arise.

EDIT: just as a naughty aside, maybe if all 4 of the new skills get implemented (bringing the total to 23), perhaps Turbo Lemming could make an appearance to bring the total to an even 24! (jk) ;P

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
EDIT: just as a naughty aside, maybe if all 4 of the new skills get implemented (bringing the total to 23), perhaps Turbo Lemming could make an appearance to bring the total to an even 24! (jk) ;P

I'd appreciate this statement if it is a "door-in-the-face" approach: Demand something ridiculous first (introduction of the Turbo Lemming) so that another ambitious demand (having all four final-skill candidates implemented) immediately seems a lot more reasonable. :P

Because of course, I wouldn't mind all four (Laser Blaster, Slider, Spear Thrower, Grenadier) getting implemented. But after that, it would definitely be enough.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »
After further thought about this, I've come to the conclusion it will be tidiest to do a combined experimental containing all the skills, rather than separate ones.

Of course - this immediately raises concerns about whether the experimental may get used long-term to create levels with these skills. Doing this with old stable versions is one thing, but I will be taking active measures to prevent it with the experimental. In particular:
- It will not remain available for download permanently.
- It will stop working from July 1st 2021.
- It will not allow the use of any styles other than the Orig, OhNo and Xmas styles (all objects in "default" will be usable).

I should have this exp ready to release over the next few days. If there are any object types not covered in the above styles that anyone feels are necessary to have access to, let me know and I'll consider adding one or two more to the list if need be.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2020, 07:00:56 AM »
I have sent a preliminary new-skills exp to a small group of users (it's up to them if they want to reveal who they are). All going well, a public release will follow over the weekend.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
So I made 3 test levels with the pre-release exp version. I uploaded videos of those to my YouTube channel to get the expectations a bit higher for the upcoming official testing period. ;)

All 4 new skills are present in 2 out of 3 levels. These levels shall not be an argument for or against skills and I did not in any way considered "New Skill A can be replaced with Old Skill B", so these levels are just some compilations of what went through my mind while playing around! They shall just generate a bit of hype. ;)

Links:

1.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whzj8KFIA9M
2.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gc-XK0g_nA
3.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6OH6PeoxZg

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »
awesome videos, I really like the Laserer(laser blaster), as shimmiers can shimmy thru the opening.  I like the laserer the best of the proposed new skills.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2020, 07:43:42 PM »
I like the laser best gameplay-wise, though I think from a design standpoint its much too high-tech feeling compared to other skills, maybe like a water cannon or loud soundwave or something would fit better.
The thrower seems nice though maybe a bit fiddly due to custom aiming
I'm not really a fan of the bomb thrower, again fiddly due to custom aiming and feels out of place
The slider is OK and fits in well but can't immediately see a lot interesting about it

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »
The thrower seems nice though maybe a bit fiddly due to custom aiming
I'm not really a fan of the bomb thrower, again fiddly due to custom aiming and feels out of place

There's no "custom aiming". They have a fixed path, and there's a skill shadow to show you this path (even in the exp build).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 19, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »
Oh sorry I was mostly just judging off the videos and I must of been thinking of L2 x_x