Author Topic: Ski Sloping Lemmings (80 Levels)  (Read 14438 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Ski Sloping Lemmings (80 Levels)
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »
Thanks for the information Namida

Hoping I do the spoiler thing okay. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry a bit all over the place with the levels , I get confused easily. I loved watching your video Swedis and thanks to Namida,, I might maybe try a 10 level pack at sometime in the future and avoid the long building type levels.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
Hey Grams88,

thank your for watching my videos. I don't have to add a lot to what Namida has written since he perfectly summarized what could be done better. Just want to say: Don't take the criticism too much to your heart. I'll tell you something: I didn't create a level pack by myself so far, so it's absolutely unproven if I could do it better. And I'm quite sure your next pack will be a step forward. (I will finish this pack here, though.)

Greetings, Swerdis
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:26:00 PM by Swerdis »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »
Interesting reading what Namida has wrote, I will try to take that into account when I make my next pack, I don't think I will be changing much with this pack, it was even tricky making this one. :) I felt as if I made not bad puzzles considering not knowing much about Neolemmix and the tricks that many of us are used to. The big criticism seems to be with the heavy building and yes I agree a lot of the levels can get tedious because of this but I feel as if the later levels aren't really a build anyway type of levels. I feel as is some of the later levels you have to think a little bit before you build. A lot of the earlier levels were more following the lines of the original tricky levels in where you can build anyway so to say.

I could maybe focus on smaller levels in the future with less building. I can't really change this pack a lot, I wouldn't even no where to begin so it is what is. I would say this is not a pack for the regular forum members but more of a one for the newer members who have not really tried much neolemmix out. I wanted it to be a slight step up from the oh no more lemmings in that the tutorial levels are not meant to be your standard tutorial levels and they are meant to be a bit more challenging than your normal tutorial levels.

I'm hoping at least a lot the forum members do get a tiny tiny tiny amount of enjoyment from the level pack

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
Just some quick updates to two of the levels.

(Cave climbing) I have removed the barrier to the right and change some of the skill limits.
Thanks to Swerdis for this one. I mean to the left ooopps

(Will you rescue me) has some more steel areas. I think I thought about changing it slightly after watching Nepster's Attempt at the level.

I will update the download link on the first page where you download the pack. (Many thanks)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:00:18 AM by grams88 »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
Hoping it is okay to post Swerdis's attempts or completing the (Ski Sloping Lemmings) if that's okay from Swerdis :) I think he plays through Deceits's pack as well which is a highly regarded pack in the community.

I try to avoid watching other playthroughs of packs if it is one I'm thinking of playing in the future, I guess you could say the same applies here. Be careful not to look at the youtube video if you are not wanting to see the solution to the levels in the pack.

I do have a lot of heavy building levels but the later levels of the pack gets you to think where to place the builders instead just randomly building and building. There's only a few levels which just contain the exploder, I thought the instant exploder works well in this scenario. (lol)  A little bit of my thinking because we have the frame stepping features I feel as if that will cut down on the tedious of the building in some levels. I did find if I did make a mistake in one of the levels the reverse feature seemed to take a long time, maybe it was the wrong button I was pressing, it was a frame stepping backwards type of thing if that makes sense.

I tend to take longer with things, what I mean by this is if I try to learn something usually if it is the level editor or duke3d level editor, if I leave it for maybe three or four weeks I feel like I need to relearn it, if I leave something for two or three weeks I get scared just incase I forget how to use it again. This seems to be a thing with me if I was to start projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq44L_5A-c8&list=UUOahFY7zAWCoGpKOQdUf7mw&index=45
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:16:34 PM by grams88 »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »
I did find if I did make a mistake in one of the levels the reverse feature seemed to take a long time, maybe it was the wrong button I was pressing, it was a frame stepping backwards type of thing if that makes sense.

NeoLemmix has a one-frame back button on the skill panel (if you aren't using the compact panel). You can go back one second by right-clicking it, or 5 seconds by middle-clicking it. (The same right/middle click equivalents also apply to the forward 1 frame button.)

You can configure hotkeys to jump forward or back by any amount of time you want. I'm not sure about the functional layout (but you can check under Config -> Hotkeys), but the traditional layout has:

< - Back 5 seconds
- - Back 1 second
B - Back 1 frame
N - Forward 1 frame
> - Forward 5 seconds
Spacebar - Forward 10 seconds

There's also two special skips that can be configured with hotkeys, which on the traditional layout are mapped to [ and ] respectively. The first jumps backwards to the last skill assignment, while the second jumps forwards until either a shrugger exists, or there are no active platformers, builders or stackers.

Finally, there is also the "Save State" feature. This doesn't carry over once you exit gameplay, but by configuring a hotkey, you can press Save State (under traditional layout, Enter) to save and Load State (under traditional layout, Backspace) to load. Note that this saves and loads replay data too, not just the current time position! This can be useful if you want to try something, but might want to revert back to your previous replay later - it's quicker than actually saving (and viewing part of) a replay file for this purpose.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 08:15:45 PM »
(Thanks Namida for the information will have as look into that one as that will make things a lot easier).

NEW NEWS PLEASE READ

I've been thinking and I might maybe remove a level from each rank, I will try to remove the most hated level from each rank to bring the level pack down to 76 levels. Hoping not to edit any of the levels as it stands unless there is a serious backroute problem which I hope there is not.

Levels I might remove are (Blue Slope) = (Pillers of earth)
                                       (Red Slope) = (Inspired level)
                                       (Black Slope) = (Video game text) Looks like a horrible level
                                       (Orange Slope) = (Inspired by Ben Conway) Too much building

Should be okay to download now, I had a few problems and I think I managed to sort it out now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:42:03 PM by grams88 »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »
Here are replays & feedback for my favourite levels from this pack (coincidentally, all of them are in pillar style!):

Feedback (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:16:00 PM by WillLem »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
That was very nice to play through the ski Sloping lemmings pack, :thumbsup::thumbsup: I look forward to checking your replays out, I see you like the piller levels from the pack. The later levels are probably a lot better than the earlier levels in the pack.  Looking forward to checking it out Willem

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 11:55:14 PM »
That was very nice to play through the ski Sloping lemmings pack, :thumbsup::thumbsup: I look forward to checking your replays out, I see you like the piller levels from the pack. The later levels are probably a lot better than the earlier levels in the pack.  Looking forward to checking it out Willem

To be fair, I haven't been able to solve every level! I'll have a look at the last rank at some point and see how far I can get through it.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
No worries WillLem, I think there are some right hard ones in there, I rememember one level in particular that was very tricky, I won't mention what one it is.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2021, 07:50:45 AM »
Hello grams88,

I have completed the level pack, so I just wanted to attach my replays and give some feedback. I've also done an LP of the pack.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJvuoGCKxPyBXHeIsM8DzlC7. Enjoy! :P

General Feedback on the Pack

There's going to be a lot of echoing of what others before me have already said. As some of the long-time members already stated, there's way too many of the type of levels that most in the community dislike. In particular, there's way too many builderfests, as well as a lot of unnecessarily very tall levels that don't serve any purpose for being tall. For the latter, a lot of the levels can be done on a much smaller map. For the former, I definitely don't mind the occasional one, but after a while it does get on my nerves. In the same way, I don't mind the occasional hidden exit levels. Fortunately, there's only two of them, but there's too much buried exits, though! After a while, it got on my nerves that one needs to uncover the trigger area of the exit.

I will say the same as namida here, and overall I wasn't too impressed with the pack. However, I have noted that the pack isn't all bad. Despite a lot of the levels being of the type that most don't like, there's still some true gems in here.

For the Blue Slope rank, I must say my favorites here were Blue Slope 10 - Treat Earth Well and Blue Slope Slope 16 - Strange Place. I would agree that Blue Slope 18 - Very Dangerous Trail was the hardest of the entire rank. A lot of the splat falls were annoying, but that is the main obstacle of the level. Now that I think about it, I think there were some things that I could had made easier in the solution.

For the Red Slope rank, my favorites were Red Slope 3 - Tetris Blocks, Red Slope 5 - Think Carefully, and Red Slope 15 - Only One Miner. Red Slope 3 took a while, but it was a really satisfying one once the solution did click. Red Slope 5 was a really good puzzle to figure and hash out although admittedly the overhang to prevent coming back to the left was a bit annoying :laugh: Red Slope 15's practically similar to Blue Slope 10 in the level idea of isolating a pioneer and then releasing the crowd later, although the solution in both cases are obvious.

I would say the hardest in the Red Slope rank was Red Slope 10 - Learn as You Lem 2. It might seem that you have a lot of builders, but they surprisingly run out very fast. I'm not sure if it might be possible to finish with a spare builder or two, as well if a solution involving the bottom might exist. Still an unnecessarily tall level in my opinion, although without the decoration at the bottom the level would look super bare, so I think it's all right here. Also, levels where you have to assign so many of the same skill to a lot of lemmings aren't exactly my favorites, either. The level might had worked better if the entrance was a pre-assigned floater one instead.

For the Black Slope rank, I think this was probably your hardest rank in the pack. Honestly, despite being the final rank, the Orange Slope rank wasn't that bad. There were still some hard levels in there, but I think it was mostly due to how I'm already familiar with a lot of the tricks needed on many of the levels there.

My favorite in the Black Slope rank was Black Slope 1 - Great Lemming Caper Part Two (extremely nice reworking of the level from the OL with a really good solution! :)). As for the hard levels, lots of them here: Black Slope 3 - Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere, Black Slope 7 - Uphill Struggle, Black Slope 8 - Welcome to the Red World, Black Slope 13 - Only Across, Black Slope 16 - Welcome to Grassland, Black Slope 17 - Two Blockers, and Black Slope 18 - Big World. The hardest part in Black Slope 3 was getting down safely, especially with the very limited builder supply. I guess the same can be said about Black Slope 8, since getting down safely is definitely the hardest part. I seemed to have found a really difficult solution to Black Slope 8, in contrast to Swerdis', hence why I really struggled with this level. The hardest part in Black Slope 13 was containing the crowds on the left side, but even after that, getting up to the exit is also very hard, especially considering the very limited builder supply.

For Black Slope 7, the main difficulty seems to come from the execution. In particular, doing the part with getting out the starting area without spending a builder was very frustrating to do. Even after that, the level still isn't a complete cakewalk, especially with making a climber friendly wall for everyone.

Black Slope 17 is extremely punishing in the skillset in that it allows absolutely no leeway or recovery from misplacing even one single builder. The hardest part to do was the far right side, but that in itself is super precise, making the turnaround point and getting up to the next platform with as little builders as possible. I would definitely reduce the precision here or even provide a couple of extra builders. Nothing is more frustrating than having to rewind so much and having to redo several parts of the level because of one screw up in one part of the level.

Most importantly, I will have to apologize for my full blown-out rage I exhibited in my LP on Black Slope 11 - Welcome to Venus. This is truly the first time I have ever fully raged on camera in an LP. It came from a combination of factors: using a route with very fiddly terrain that kept failing, fed up with a lot of the same stuff that had already been done to death before this point by this point in time, such as with the huge builderfests and very tall levels that are not necessary at all with being tall, and just being cranky from lack of sleep. As it turns out, I failed to realize something that I never considered in any of my attempts that would had made it a solve much earlier, hence I was a complete dummy on the level. In any case, it's amazing that I've managed to hold it together for more than 20 LPs before I truly raged for the very first time in an LP video. Not to mention deep down I felt I was suffering and on the verge of a nervous breakdown, stressing out a lot, and wincing in pain so much because I really wanted to just be done with the pack and get on to others I wanted to LP, because, sorry to say it grams88, but I wasn't the least bit impressed with the pack overall. However, as I've stated many times, it's the level I rage at, not the designer, as the author is the last person I would rage at. Even then, there's absolutely no excuse for my full-on rage, so again I apologize for that to you and also my viewers who see it if they happen to watch it. At the same time, I believe in always having the original recording, and hence I still upload it anyway, just to show viewers what can definitely happen during an LP. Obviously, I'm not proud of the moment I truly raged, but I still feel that I must show the video, anyway.

Luckily, it did get somewhat better after the Black Slope rank, because I felt the Orange Slope rank was your strongest rank in the entire pack. My favorites here were Orange Slope 1 - Abandoned Building, Orange Slope 2 - Cascade Again, Orange Slope 10 - Getting Through Those Bars, Orange Slope 12 - Trap of Death, and Orange Slope 14 - Floating Dream. Orange Slope 2 is a very nice remake of "Cascade" from the OL. Certainly harder, especially containing the crowd in the starting area, but once you figure it out, then the rest is somewhat easy. Orange Slope 12 is a really nice one, although I just hate how the starting area is quite small to work with in order to be able to save everyone.

The hardest in the Orange Slope rank were Orange Slope 4 - Frozen Ice Cave, Orange Slope 5 - 13th Kruger, Orange Slope 6 - Lemmings vs Spiders Two (also a very boring and annoying level to play and solve), Orange Slope 13 - Big Tree, and Orange Slope 18 - Fire and Death. There is a very similar level to Orange Slope 5 in Nuked Lems, except this one didn't give me as much trouble, interestingly enough. Still a really hard level, especially since it's not so obvious how to distribute the skills to any section at any point. This makes it very hard to plan out the solution. At least the number of trapdoors matches the number of lemmings, whereas there are some that don't spawn any lemmings in your Nuked Lems pack. Once again, the hardest part in Orange Slope 13 appears to be containing the crowd without a builder, as the level doesn't appear to be solvable if you do spend a builder to contain the crowd. Orange Slope 18 is a hard level only because it's the only level in the pack I wasn't able to solve after two recorded video attempts and hence had to switch to off-camera time. The solution itself fortunately isn't very tight, but there are a few very pixel precise skill assignments. I would definitely reduce the precision needed, just like Nepster said. Still quite a solid level, though!

The original version definitely does NOT warrant a repeat in Orange Slope 6! It was just very annoying and it's not obvious at all what is the best path to take with either of the entrances. Not to mention it just seems like a much worse complete mess of webs meshed together. I definitely think this level can go and it wouldn't harm the pack too much at all. Besides, there have already been a few bomberfest levels before this one. Guess this one just pushed the limit there.

Finally, for Orange Slope 11 - Follow the Steps Down, My Love, the lizard trap does not eat the Lemmings at all. I checked in the editor, and the trigger is too high by 1 pixel. Therefore, my solution shouldn't work at all but it does due to the misplaced trigger. Think the easiest fix would just be to spend another skill there with another lemming ahead of time so that not too many get killed and it would still be a solve.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend anyone to put this pack on their "to-play" list due to the reasons above, although it's nice to see that you took some of the feedback to heart to improve with your second pack. Now that I've played both of your packs, albeit backwards due to playing your second pack first before your first one, I can definitely agree that Nuked Lems is somewhat a step up from this pack. Especially in the builderfest levels, where I don't think there were really any in Nuked Lems, but unfortunately there's still a lot of unnecessarily tall levels. I still saw a lot of the same things in Nuked Lems, such as that one bomberfest level and the several mini sections that I really struggled with. Still, Nuked Lems is an improvement over Ski Sloping Lemmings.

So really, I guess I might spare anyone the agony of playing through this pack. Admittedly, I really did feel like I was suffering from a heart attack at some point during the Black Slope rank and felt I was suffering unnecessarily from LPing the pack. Honestly, I felt it was the worst decision I made in LPing the pack, but that's on me, as I brought it on myself. No fault of anyone's. However, it's nice to finally know that all levels are solvable and that now there's one person who solved the entire pack.

Just like the others have said, please don't take my harsh criticism too personally as well. Like Swerdis, I myself have not made a level pack yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will, although I haven't ruled it out completely, so I'm not sure if I personally can do better than this. Still, I hope the LP is enjoyable to watch despite my rising rage as the LP goes on. Outside of this, I hope you're doing well and that we'll see you around here sometime again soon! :)   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2021, 11:29:57 PM »
Hi Kaywhyn

It's good to hear from you, hope you have been doing well. Looking forward to checking your let's play out. I've been working on my the book which is about harm OCD. I'm hoping to maybe get it published as a paperback soon. See how things go in the future.

You don't mind if I post my thoughts here, hope that's okay.

Welldone on completing that pack, it's a very hard one and does contain a lot of builder heavy levels. I do feel my nuked Lems one was a lot better than the skii sloping lemmings. Nukem Lems seems to be getting a better reception than the skii sloping one. Interesting looking at the different solutions to the levels. I wasn't too impressed with the skii sloping lemmings myself, I was thinking of maybe removing it as it seems to be causing more frustration than anything else. I'm thinking about that as I don't think it's a good level pack, to be honest.

I was hoping to maybe making more packs in the future but like before only focusing on the original eight skills ones. I'm not really one for the new skills at the moment as I haven't really looked into them too much. I wonder if I should have a go at making a big level pack again but lessons learned from the previous one especially skii sloping lemmings.

The bombing fest level in Nukedlems I wasn't too keen on myself as I remember it was like bomb after bomb. I remember that one. (hehe)

I might focus more on a similar pack like Nuked lems, I feel that this pack did a bit or is it fair to say a lot better than the skii sloping lemmings. One of the problems I had with skii sloping ones was because the frame stepping was there It sort of encourages me to maybe do alot of levels that are hard to execute if that makes sense.

Interesting you were mentioning about tall levels. The main reason I tend to do levels with maybe a lot of areas is more of a decoration thing, I like the idea of someone just looking around at the level, like the (art gallery) level from the original lemmings game. The decoration in lemmings is always a big thing with me. Maybe precision levels can get very annoying I agree totally there. Fire and death if I remember right was a level you had to have good precision.

It looks like I did 100 times better when making the Nuked Lems, I hope it's okay to say this as I want to improve and if I do simliar levels in the future, hoping people will like those ones.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:50:48 PM by grams88 »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2021, 12:19:25 AM »
Hey grams88, it's great to hear from you :) Once again, I apologize if I sounded extremely harsh and patronizing in my feedback. I'm normally not one to have anything negative to say about level packs and usually just stick to the positive stuff, but there was just too much of the former that I felt it needed to be said. After all, it wouldn't be good if I was pretending that Ski Sloping Lemmings is a good pack, in contrast to the other long-time members who posted before me saying that the pack wasn't so good. Now that I've played through the entire pack, I'm in complete agreement with all of them, and you seem to be as well. I hope we didn't influence your decision into agreeing that it's not a well-done pack, though. As I stated further down, there were still some great gems in the pack. I felt the Orange Slope rank was the strongest rank in the entire pack, even though it's not the hardest IMO. That goes to the Black Slope rank, which I felt was the hardest rank in the entire pack.

You don't mind if I post my thoughts here, hope that's okay.

Of course not! This is your topic, after all. I just love reading and getting feedback from the pack author regarding my solutions myself ;)

I was hoping to maybe making more packs in the future but like before only focusing on the original eight skills ones. I'm not really one for the new skills at the moment as I haven't really looked into them too much. I wonder if I should have a go at making a big level pack again but lessons learned from the previous one especially skii sloping lemmings.

It's perfectly fine to just stick with the classic 8 skills, as I myself am a diehard traditionalist when it comes to the game of Lemmings myself (classic 8 skills, time limits on every level, etc). I would definitely love to see more level packs from you in the future. Nuked Lems was definitely somewhat better and a step up from Ski Sloping Lemmings, as I definitely saw that you took the feedback you got from the latter to improve the former.

Now that you mentioned it, I'll take this time to say that I thought your Lemmini packs were great! I especially loved your 25th anniversary pack, where you took several OL and ONML levels and made a completely different solution out of them. Even better was that some of the ones that appeared in Colorful Arty's Retro rank in Sublems for SuperLemmini had completely different solutions from his. I would love to revisit those levels sometime just because I remember them being really good. I remember your remake of Fun 2 being one of your hardest and one of the last ones that I managed to solve much later. Same with your remake of Crazy 4 from ONML, although honestly I'm not sure if I would like to do the solution again by hand, hence why I made sure to save a replay of it, because I remember it being a huge pain to execute. Also, I remember your "Pillars of Hercules" remake being a really hard one as well.

I might focus more on a similar pack like Nuked lems, I feel that this pack did a bit or is it fair to say a lot better than the skii sloping lemmings. One of the problems I had with skii sloping ones was because the frame stepping was there It sort of encourages me to maybe do alot of levels that are hard to execute if that makes sense.

Definitely better than Ski Sloping Lemmings in most ways ;) As for the framestepping existing in NL, yes, it does mean that authors can and have made levels where the absence of such tools make it impractical or nearly impossible to do, but it doesn't mean that it should be done. I will say this, and that is I don't mind pixel precision in solutions, as long as there isn't too much of it. Too much of it in a short amount of time is what will make me mind, similar to how I don't mind the occasional hidden trap but too many in a short amount of time will annoy me.

This was something that I aimed to avoid when I was making my contest levels. I noticed in the process of playtesting, that some of the very precise skill assignments kind of happened by accident due to the design and was therefore completely unintentional on my part. If that happened, I fixed it by allowing more pixels of leeway, as I don't want solutions from others to constantly fail by at least a pixel. I'll be honest, and that is levels where you know the solution but you have to constantly rewind to fiddle around and find the correct skill placements to be on the dot in regards to pixel precision tend to be no fun to play at all, a sentiment I'm sure I share with many of the other members here. Even more so when one's time is valuable.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:57:21 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0