Author Topic: Integral Lemmings  (Read 15266 times)

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
Re: Integral Lemmings
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 08:21:54 AM »
Hi tan x,

thank you so much for your feedback. One word about laserers. I wasn't so convinced about this skill at first - but that was because I thought the Laserer would shoot upwards, vertically, just as in Lemmings 2 The Tribes. I didn't follow the entire discussion, so I was very pleasantly surprised that this is obviously not the case. The angled laser opens many more possibilities and your two levels already prove that.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2022, 09:23:28 AM »
Hi tan x,

I've finally got the chance to play through the new Alpha rank, and I solved all the levels. Here is my entire replay collection, which includes the replays to the Alpha rank, although you only need to check the Alpha rank. Also, you can view my LP through the link I previously provided when I posted my replays and feedback to the Epsilon and Delta ranks, as I simply tacked on additional videos to my playlist. At the same time, you're likely getting Youtube notifications for my videos going up, meaning at least the Youtube bell is working for you :P

Alpha Rank Feedback

This rank, as described by tan x, challenges the tendency of level designers to make levels with a specific solution by dedicated an entire rank of open-ended levels and challenging players to get creative and find any working solution to them. Even though these levels are intended to be open-ended, it doesn't mean they will be complete cakewalks compared to the Epsilon and Delta rank levels. Indeed, I found some of these levels to be challenging despite the generous skillsets. I also found a lot of these really interesting in their own right. Though I was a big dummy on some of these levels, they ultimately fell by my solving prowess :laugh:

After having played through and solved these levels, the Alpha rank is definitely worth playing through. It's not just an extra rank thrown in to serve as a bonus rank of sorts, it definitely feels as if they're part of the main pack, just with the concept of all being open-ended levels where almost any working solution should be fine and not a backroute.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks again for the Alpha rank, tan x! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2022, 12:24:04 AM »
I played through the alpha rank - some really nice open ended levels here that are certainly challenging even with the generous skill assignments. Great job tan x dx :thumbsup:

My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »
8 Equivalent Exchange - Tricky level, the platformers really run out quickly on this one too. Working out how to get to the bottom left exit is a challenging part given the laserer skill is all you have. I wasn't able to find a solution that preserved enough platformers that had the two sides of the map cross over, but I did find one where each side solved on their own. I'm guessing this is probably not fully intended, given the title hints at at least some interaction between the two crowds.

That's really interesting. I tried, but couldn't find a way to treat the crowds independent from each other. But I found a cross-over-solution. There is more than one, for Kaywhyn found a completely different way. He used a bottom route while I went over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HXekZehlo&t=2s

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »
Hi Kaywhyn!

Once again, it's been a pleasure to watch your LPs. I always find it interesting to catch a glimpse into other peoples' thought processes.

Here's my feedback on your replays:

I'm really glad you enjoyed my levels, and thanks once again for the LPs :D

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2022, 02:44:41 PM »
Hi Apjjm!

I'm glad you enjoyed my levels!

Here are my thoughts on your solutions:

Thank you very much for playing my levels. :)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »
Having a look at Alpha today, these are some neat levels! Open-ended whilst still presenting an interesting challenge, and the map layouts have a simplistic and minimalist charm to them which can be difficult to manage when designing this sort of level. Great work! :thumbsup:

Saved 39 on the zombie level Unfriendly Neighbours. The simple design of this level is very deceptive, as it's actually quite difficult to work out how to get around the zombie crowd. I'll keep going for the 40, I'm sure I can do it - Method 2 is the closest I've got so far :lemcat:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:25:42 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2022, 03:47:55 AM »
Absolutely love this level :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2022, 06:53:57 AM »
Aaaand that's the Alpha levels completed. Really enjoyed these, some good solid map designs in here and an appealing variety of levels. These are difficult; anyone who hasn't played L1 completely would struggle with these for sure. However, the open-endedness is inviting and helps to get the brain in gear for the later levels.

Some feedback on each level:

Enjoy the replays :lemcat:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:09:44 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2022, 01:45:18 AM »
Here's a Save-36 on Epsilon 2 What Lems Beneath. This is an optimisation/slight variation of Swerdis' solution which

Offline ∫tan x dx

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »
Hi WillLem!

I'm very glad you enjoyed my puzzles!

Here's my thoughts on your replays:

Thank you very much for your replays and feedback. Have you had a look at any of the other levels in the pack? ;)