Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings World Tour [Difficulty: Medium]  (Read 42257 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Lemmings World Tour [Difficulty: Medium]
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »
The gargantuan is here.

Download the pack

Download the music
Download the styles folder
(You're going to need the styles folder since some graphic sets have had additional pieces added to them.)

:compat-new:

:compat-ver-10-13::compat-yes:

Lemmings World Tour features a massive 320 levels, divided evenly into eight ranks with 40 levels each:
Noisemaker, Amateur, Professional, Diva, Rockstar, Legend, Encore, and Groupie

The core premise is that of a musical band of lemmings touring the world.
Hence, all levels (with just a couple of rare exceptions) are based on song titles, especially songs that refer to specific geographical places.

The music consists entirely of real instrument versions of the classic Lemmings and Oh no! More Lemmings music.
All instruments were played, recorded, and mixed by myself.

So please credit me if you use these in your packs - this is handmade stuff, after all! :D

LWT also features a new graphic set called Instruments (see below), which I have released for editor usage in my graphic set thread. This graphic set is available for both Old and New Formats.

Disclaimer: This pack uses a lot of graphic set mixing for artistic purposes. The downside of this are occasional to regular crashes when loading up a level preview screen.
This is not going to harm your progress on the game or inside a given level in any way. Simply restart NeoLemmix and reselect the level via the level selection menu.

I tried arranging the levels in such an order that there shouldn't be too many heavy tileset mixing-levels in direct succession, but I couldn't get rid of the crashes completely.

There are also a couple of talismans to make some select levels from the first ranks a little more spicy.

On to the ranks!

Noisemaker
This rank is sort of a pre-rank to the main pack. Hence, it has Oh no! More Lemmings music playing throughout. Rather than doing standard introductory levels to the different skills and X-of-everything levels, like many other packs, you'll be taught a small number of skills in various combinations with each other. This way, the player can get familiar with a lot of the standard skill tricks in NeoLemmix. Expect predominantly small puzzles here, no huge any-way-you-want levels, and a lot of pre-level text screens.
Noisemaker Intended Trick List (click to show/hide)

Octopus's Garden

Vegas Lights

Amateur
This rank kicks off the rotation of the main lemmings tracks. The first levels group the different skills by type and direction of movement, the latter teach the player various advanced objects and how to interact with them. Level pre-texts are still pretty common here, but after that, you should be equipped with everything you need to know! :)
Amateur Intended Trick List (click to show/hide)

Georgia on my mind

God gave Rock 'n Roll to you

Professional
You're ready to visit more different locations in the world now. Additionally, there are levels focusing on one specific skill, but requiring all the tricks you can do with that particular one!

Streets of London

Queen of Chinatown

Diva
Some people can hit notes that leave the audience wondering how the heck they are doing this. And that is also a question you might ask yourself here, since the solutions become more and more whacky and obscure.

Don't cry for me, Argentina

My Lems will go on

Rockstar
Do you know how to command a crowd? Can you contain them when you have to, and make them move when you want them to?

Hollywood Hills

Berlin

Legend
The songs in here have gone down in history and will be remembered just as long as the people who played them!

Lemmingrad

The Phantom of the Opera

Encore

These are all levels from my preceding packs (Paralems, Pit Lems, and Lemmicks) that are also based on song titles. Conveniently, there were pretty much exactly 40 of them :) . Some have different solutions now, though, especially those from Lemmicks, due to the gimmicks they relied on being absent.

We are the Lempions

All along the watchtower

Groupie
Here you find levels by Colorful Strato and incendoadict :) : This is me making levels in the style of other forum members! I still tried to find appropriate song titles for most of them, but that rule isn't as strict here as on the main ranks. Can you guess who these two levels here are inspired by? ;)

Take a Byte

What does the fox say?

If you've made your guesses, here you find the solutions ;) :
Groupie rank level list (click to show/hide)

See the development thread for more level images and history on the creation of the pack!

Changes to the music pack may occur if I do encounter further noticeable timing issues or similar while listening to the tracks. Please report any you notice, too!

Finally, eventually the level "Turn this club around!" from Lemmicks might still be added to the Encore rank. I only noticed late in development that this one was also a song title, and so far I didn't know which of the others to take out instead.

After almost one year in the making, I really hope you are going to enjoy playing this pack as much as I did creating it! :)

Let the show begin! :party:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:10:04 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings World Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »
Solution to Groupie 3 "Waking up the neighbours". I'm going to guess this is the level inspired by my "style", since it uses a few features I've talked about:

* Disjoint union, with the parts not actually separated so a solution could involve interaction (though I found a solution that doesn't). This is probably what the title refers to.
* Some of the pieces seem to be inspired by specific original levels, which I also did in "Box Set" and "Metal City Mayhem".
* Skillset is highly patterened and contains unusable bombers. Platformers and Stackers are the only "new" skills used.
* No specific intended solution (I assume), but it's still not trivial and you have to be careful allocating skills among the sublevels.
* ...and of course, great use of my tileset 8-) Though I have a small critique: if it were actually me building it, each box would use only one colour, or closely related colours like the blue/cyan and red/orange boxes you have. I wouldn't mix green and orange in a single box, nor purple and cyan.

I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the pack, but I think the most fun part will be going through the rest of the Groupie rank and seeing how many authors I can identify :thumbsup:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
Rank 4 Level 27 has an obtain loop error for me, every other level loaded for me (eventually!).

I started playing the first 4 levels in this pack and I thought the pack felt fresh and inspiring, it looks like a promising pack.

I'm interested in YouTube LPing this pack at some point in the future, not sure when yet.
The only intense issue I've got with this pack is the insane amount of error messages I got when checking every level in this pack to see if they load. I get that some levels are going to have this issue due to the amount of tilesets used.

Also I'd like to change the music for this pack for the LP, have I got your permission to do that Strato?

I'm going to change my LP format for this pack to the format I currently use for Lix Lemforum pack where if I cannot solve a level after a set amount of time, I will move onto the next level and then when I have a significant number of off screen solves, I will do a replay review video for them. This format seems to have worked for Lix and as a result I have got less angry with the pack overall.

I may or may not finish this pack, 320 levels is an insane size for a pack. I'll try and get as far as I can anyway.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »
I have gotten "obtain terrain loop" errors as well. I think they're caused by the level containing pieces that are not in the tileset version the player has.
For instance, I get an error on Groupie 34 because it can't find piece 64 in the Fire tileset. That's because the version of said tileset that I have only has 58 terrain pieces in it.

Strato, did you add any pieces to your tilesets while making this pack? Perhaps making your styles folder part of the download could solve this type of error.

The pack is pretty fun so far. Even the early levels aren't trivial. Groupie 7 was... Fantastic. The preview text really did it. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, you know? :D
I haven't played a huge number of other people's levels, so I don't know how many 'styles' I'll be able to pick out from that rank. I'll probably be getting stuck on some levels in this pack too, so expect videos in my "help me" topic at some point!

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »
Wow, you guys were quick to respond! :thumbsup: First and foremost:

Strato, did you add any pieces to your tilesets while making this pack? Perhaps making your styles folder part of the download could solve this type of error.

Yes, I did indeed, thanks for pointing this out! I added the teleporter to the brick tileset, and many of the custom elements that were created for the New Formats updates of Pillar, Fire, Marble etc. I thought including all styles in the pack file itself would be fine, since the instruments tileset is all new, and those levels seem to work even if you don't have the style yet.

Now you can get it as part of the styles folder in the starting post (I will release it separately in the graphic sets subforum, too). My styles folder also contains the unfinished Indian tileset I've been working on, but it doesn't actually appear in any of the levels.

Groupie 7 was... Fantastic. The preview text really did it. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, you know? :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I actually tried to use each forum member's custom graphic sets on their respective level(s) whenever possible. It's just that your levels were created so early that, as far as I remember, your own graphic sets hadn't been released yet at that time ;) .

@Proxima:

The only intense issue I've got with this pack is the insane amount of error messages I got when checking every level in this pack to see if they load. I get that some levels are going to have this issue due to the amount of tilesets used.

Well, if you jump through all the levels with the arrow keys or level selection menu to do such a test, obviously this means that NeoLemmix has to load a bunch of graphic sets in an even shorter amount of time than if you were playing any of the levels in between. So this is bound to cause more crashes. ;) I tested the general "fluency" of the pack by just letting replays run over each level, and then usually the number of crashes was tolerable. Some graphic sets simply have a longer loading time (especially GigaLem's Freedom Planet ones), but they do load up eventually. Instruments also takes a while to load, due to the higher resolution.

Also I'd like to change the music for this pack for the LP, have I got your permission to do that Strato?

Well, the music is indeed a huge part of what makes this pack somewhat unique - and a huge part of the work that went into it. But of course, it's your LPs and your channel, where you can do whatever you like! ;) I'm happy for all gameplay videos I get to see either way.

@Colorful Arty has also uttered interest in LPing this pack a while ago in the development thread, so perhaps he'll keep the original music :D . You could even split the pack up between several users, considering the enormous size! :)

Especially now that @nin10doadict has said he may post some videos of this as well, even if it's just for the sake of asking for advice ;) .

I'm happy the Groupie rank is being met with such immediate resonance! :D I'm definitely going to upload some kind of chart soon, so you can look up which levels are inspired by whom.

Some of you have several levels dedicated to them - this is nothing personal, it was just dependant on what type of inspiration I could get, and how many signature patterns I was able to identify from your packs ;) .
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:29:16 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 11:45:03 PM »
Groupie 7 was... Fantastic. The preview text really did it. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, you know? :D

I actually tried to use each forum member's custom graphic sets on their respective level(s) whenever possible. It's just that your levels were created so early that, as far as I remember, your own graphic sets hadn't been released yet at that time ;) .

Based on that (including the part in the spoiler tag), I can narrow mine down to being level 5 or 12... or since you say there may be more than one, possibly both, with 5 being based on my style in recent packs and 12 on older ones (LPI / II); the graphic sets also fit this.

I'm pretty sure I majorly backrouted both, but I can sort of see very namida-ish solutions on them.

If I'm right with these guesses, there are a few elements of my design style you missed, but overall you did a pretty good job. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »
@namida

My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
I see. My solution is likely a backroute (I PM'd you the replay), so I can't comment on how namida-ish the intended solution is. But here's some feedback on the general design and how well it fits my style.

My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »
Hi namida, thanks for pointing out the "cosmetics" of your level building style! :) I'll see to what extent I can implement them in the next version of the pack. For example, I thought if one-way arrows were put behind other terrain pieces, then there'd be a non-one-way gap in between which could be exploited for backroutes?

The level you linked that's supposed to be in the Tree style is a Psychedelic level, though ;) . Guess you picked the wrong image?

My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 12:30:46 AM »
340 levels!? :lem-mindblown:

Hooooly cow. That is a lot!

Regarding me LPing this pack; I am still interested for sure! However, due to the sheer length of the pack coupled with me only uploading 3 videos a week now, if I undergo this LP, it will take a LONG TIME to finish. I have a few options:

1) Continue my current upload schedule and start LPing this pack and uploading after my Ace Attorney series finishes; the series is almost done, so uploads could happen next week. The problem with this is I've already just about finished recording my next 3 LPs, so this will delay these considerably.
2) LP this simultaneously with my other main LP and upload a World Tour video once a week. I like this idea, but it means I'll be LPing World Tour for a really long time and people won't get frequent videos.
3) Go back to my old upload schedule of 6-7 videos a week and include World Tour along with the other game I LP. This means people get lots of content, but I have less free time.

Out of these options, I'm inclined to lean towards 3, as Lemmings videos take the least amount of time to edit, save, and upload BY FAR, so it really won't suck up a lot of my time.

One thing I want to know is how difficult this pack is. If it's comparable to Lemmicks in difficulty, this will be a tough challenge. If it's more similar to ParaLems or PitLems, that will be much more manageable. If it gets really difficult and I can only solve 1 level per video eventually, I may change to post-commentary videos after a while.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 01:21:17 AM »
Well I've finished the first rank and from what I have seen so far, the difficulty is fairly high. Not as lethal as Lemmicks, but it's no cakewalk. Difficulty is also a bit sporadic; there's some pretty easy levels mixed in with hard ones. It kinda goes all over the place.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
340 levels!? :lem-mindblown:

Hooooly cow. That is a lot!

Then good thing it's only 320 :P ! (8 x 40)

Out of these options, I'm inclined to lean towards 3, as Lemmings videos take the least amount of time to edit, save, and upload BY FAR, so it really won't suck up a lot of my time.

That depends entirely on your time and schedule! ;) I doubt this pack is going to be something anyone plays through in one fell swoop, anyway.

One thing I want to know is how difficult this pack is.

See, that's pretty difficult for me as the creator to access :) . I can tell you that I'm certainly constantly aiming to make my levels more and more challenging - usually though, this results in many of the supposedly more complicated levels also having more backroutes (because a larger skillset equals greater degrees of freedom than the more constrained levels in the early ranks).

The first two ranks still give lots of hints through pre-level text screens. The main idea is that I won't require any obscure tricks from the player in the later ranks unless I've taught the player those tricks before.

The later levels often include stuff such as making destructive skills go through several obstacles - since that is kind of your specialty, those opportunities are probably going to be easier for you to spot ;) .

If it's comparable to Lemmicks in difficulty, this will be a tough challenge. If it's more similar to ParaLems or PitLems, that will be much more manageable.

Well, the Encore rank has levels from all three packs, so the difficulty will vary accordingly! :D

I hope it's somewhere in the middle, honestly. I tried to combine the themed nature of Paralems with the mechanical puzzly-ness of Pit Lems.

The difficulty of Lemmicks is somewhat odd - because it mainly arises from the different game physics. That included the solid level sides in the otherwise gimmick-less Basic rank, and goes on with every gimmick that is introduced. I don't think Lemmicks has harder puzzles than Pit Lems per se; it's just that it takes a lot of time to get used to all these different rules, especially for people who have more experience playing regular NeoLemmix levels. I for one have definitely put more time into creating levels than playing other levels - mainly because I get stuck on most packs relatively early :D .

Well I've finished the first rank and from what I have seen so far, the difficulty is fairly high. Not as lethal as Lemmicks, but it's no cakewalk. Difficulty is also a bit sporadic; there's some pretty easy levels mixed in with hard ones. It kinda goes all over the place.

Congratulations for completing the first rank, then! :) You were pretty fast in doing that!

Aside from difficulty being hard to assess for one's own levels, there are two other factors that are going to prevent this pack from having a linear difficulty curve:

1) Music matching - some levels just require certain tracks in the background (i.e. Alla turca for "Vienna", London Bridge for "Streets of London", etc.) in order to be believable ;) .
2) Graphic set mixing - I can't put too many "city" levels in direct succession to each other without causing frequent crashes.

But I also find it somewhat nice to have some "breather" levels in between. I don't want the early ranks to be cakewalks and the higher ranks to be an endless stream of frustration, especially considering how long every single rank is (40 levels) :) . I do admire it though when people manage to create such a very linear difficulty curve, like Arty in SubLems.

It's just that certain levels are also thematically tied to given rank names, such as the Diva rank featuring a lot of levels named after songs by female solo singers, Rockstar containing a lot of songs by rock and metal bands, and so on ;) . I therefore can't move them around as freely as levels in other packs. I can just make single levels more or less difficult to match their given position within a rank.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:30:37 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
Thanks, Flopsy, that was fast! :) I'm subscribed to you on YouTube anyway, so I'll notice; I just activated the bell now in addition :) .

So far, everything is as intended. The two skills you spared were just there to provide a bit of extra leeway (bashing into the terrain on Noisemaker 04, as you said you did in an earlier attempt, and for extra crowd control on Noisemaker 05).

I already said it beneath the video, but I'll say it here again, I like how you take the time to comment on the songs a little bit! ^^ That was actually one of the main purposes for making this pack - I wanted to include lots of references that many people have a chance of understanding.

That led to me having to include quite a lot of songs that I don't even particularly like myself, but that are at least somewhat famous... for better or for worse... :evil:
My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »
My plan for LPing this pack will be very similar to Flopsy's. I'll be playing generally in order, but skipping levels that really stump me and saving them for later to keep a good pace with the pack. I will not change the music unless Youtube mutes my videos because of them. ;)

I hate leaving things unfinished, so I'll do my darndest to finish the pack, although I may take a break or two mid-LP due to the length; I don't want to get burned out.

My goal is to have my videos scheduled like this:

M/W/F: Main LP
T/Th: Lemmings World Tour

This way, I'll go up to 5 videos a week; I still have two days off of videos, and people can use the weekend to catch up on any videos they missed during the week. I'll likely start recording before the weekend! I can't wait! :D
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
Wow, now that's truly awesome, guys! :D I certainly don't remember any other packs that have been let's played simultaenously by several people (aside from contest / Level of the Year compilations, of course).

YouTube shouldn't mute any of this music - not more than they mute original Lemmings tracks, at least ;) , because that's all there is to it regarding the composition, it's just newly arranged and recorded.

The content ID system can identify covers of existing songs, as I noticed on my channel Metalvision Song Contest (but those videos were simply monetised by the original rights owners, then). But since you can listen to both the original tracks for all platforms and custom remakes, I don't see any reason why YouTube should have a problem with this.

That was actually my main motivation for recording these tracks, after nin10doadict had criticised Pit Lems for not having custom music :D.
My packs so far: