Author Topic: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran Development Thread  (Read 17570 times)

Offline Ste Woz Ere

• Lemmings 2 fan
    • View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v06 - 02/03/2019}
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 04:17:10 PM »
Played this pack last month, and enjoyed it quite a lot. It was my first custom pack, so I wasn't used to all the advanced techniques (particularly the crazy bomber shenanigans) therefore it was no surprise that I couldn't solve a number of them without help.* (and I would never have got the solution for Rock Climbers, even though I originally solved Havoc 5 by using a simpler version of the same technique)

Highlights included The Burrowers and My First Crush (digger shenanigans), solving some ascent challenges that looked impossible at first sight (Jacob's Ladder, Spiral Staircase), Ultimate Quest 3 (the most epic solve for me) and solving The High Ground by using a route that I'm not sure is intended or not.

Overall it was an interesting brain burn with an introduction to advanced techniques, that is definitely worth a play if you like hard levels with the original themes. (I also swapped in the original 3 music sets, just to enhance the vanilla feel)

* I still don't know the solution for Recession-Proof (the hooooles) and Offshore Rig (1 skill short on every route I tried) due to the lack of a working replay. And while the solution for Ultimate Quest 4 was easy to figure out, myself and the replay found the execution to be impossible.
Tribes of Steel - a whole new Lemmings 2 game! (120-level pack)
Currently a WIP - all tribes are complete, testing and feedback is welcome!

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »
I was in the mood for playing lemmings tonight.. and this old pack happen to got attention, so here're my solutions.
Nice levels overall not that hard but it definitely has some clever puzzles. :thumbsup:

My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 08:16:32 PM »
Somehow I didn't have this pack downloaded. Missed this one somehow. Some nice music. Not too big a pack. Perfect for a LP

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 08:30:35 PM »
It's in the "In development" board, that's why :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v07 - 05/02/2023}
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2023, 11:28:52 PM »
It's been almost 4 years!!! Finally time to finish this pack off. More levels! More fixes! More ... Neolemmix version numbers!

I've upgraded the pack to the latest version of Neolemmix, 12.12.5, which is now required to play this. Please not you will also need to redownload the music, the tracks were renamed and also made much smaller in file size. (Delete the old ones from your music folder, they all used to be prefixed with jsmw_ but now it's qfk_ ).

Thanks you to Armani for another batch of demos, very helpful, got a lot of changes made based off of those.

I'm expecting more backroutes in my new levels, so please upload demos if you can. Please also let me know about the difficulty curve, it is extremely hard for me to gauge the difficulty of my own levels, and I'm worried the difficulty is all over the place here.

Download the latest version, and the updated music pack, from the opening post.

v07 changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v07 - 05/02/2023}
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2023, 11:52:58 PM »
It just occurred to me that new level The Bridge Is Out in Hard But Still Fun rank has a completely trivial backroute. Sigh. Typical I would think of it as soon as I uploaded things. Well it's late today, I'll figure out a fix another day.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v08 - 05/02/2023}
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 12:25:15 AM »
Never mind, I couldn't help myself and made a quick fix. No changelog for v08, might as well avoid spoiling the change as barely anyone will have seen the old level anyway.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 02:51:08 AM »
Replays for the Fun rank.

Great levels, these. Very well designed and aesthetically similar to L1 and Oh No!, which is always a nice touch. They're way more difficult for a first rank than I personally prefer, but at least some of them have alternative solutions and/or relatively lenient save requirements.

The puzzles are ace, some very interesting and clever ideas in here.

I'll come back and play the rest another time. Looking good so far :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 03:00:00 AM by WillLem »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 09:08:18 AM »
I played through the updated levels. (+ new levels)
You only need to check the replays for updated levels, I just take my own replays from above post for other levels.
A lot of them now seems properly patched out and some of them turns out to be my favourite levels.
I especially love Toil, High Ground and Crag David. :thumbsup:

And there're some backroutes you probably want to check out. 8-)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v09 - 10/02/2023}
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 07:12:21 PM »
Thanks both for the replays and feedback.

Attached to the opening post is version 9 with some more changes.

v09 changelog:

There are some other levels not changed in this version that I'm still working on, or thinking of replacing. I'd like some easier levels and some of the really hard levels aren't cutting it for me anymore after looking back after 4 years, or they're broken in a way that I'm not prepared to fix.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v10 - 11/02/2023}
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2023, 07:43:50 PM »
Still working on things, but won't have time for a little while so posting the changes I have so far. Still need to do something about some late levels in the last rank, Down The Tubes and Pain Factory, probably replace them.

v10 available to download in the opening post.

v10 changelog:

Offline Armani

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v10 - 11/02/2023}
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2023, 06:50:11 AM »
resolved all the updated levels 8-)
Now I probably solved most of them in intended ways. :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 07:07:24 AM by Armani »

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v11 - 15/02/2023}
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2023, 11:40:34 PM »
Thanks again Armani. Your replays are very helpful. Might as well post what I have currently. I've finished cleaning up the first two ranks and replacing levels I wasn't super happy with. New levels in Fun rank are very easy but that's fine by me. I'm hoping the first two ranks are now considered done, barring any more backroutes and maybe some more levels I make might get moved into it if they are easy enough.

Levels I have my eye on replacing in the last two ranks are Slow Motion, The Dire Docks, Down the Tubes and Pain Factory.

v11 attached to the opening post as always.

v11 changelog

Offline Armani

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v11 - 15/02/2023}
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 05:25:10 AM »
resolved updated ones 8-)

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
Re: [Neolemmix] Quest From Kieran {v12 - 17/02/2023}
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 09:35:07 PM »
Thanks once again Armani, getting very close to intended solutions on all levels now except for the 4 I still plan to replace. I'm good with solution 2 of The Ultimate Quest, Take 3, it's close enough, and besides these Ultimate quest levels are running out of ways to fix up issues without causing problems to the other Ultimate quest levels. After all these fixes I'm just happy finally someone went the right way :p

v12 changelog