Author Topic: Lemmings Redux  (Read 14213 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Lemmings Redux
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:01:19 AM »
:compat-ver-10-13::compat-yes:

Welcome to Lemmings Redux! If you're new to the Lemmings series and want to get to know the levels that started it all, or if you played the games a long time ago and want to revisit your childhood memories, this might be the pack for you.

Lemmings Redux is a compilation of 160 levels, selected and edited by the community, that are representative of the best of the original Lemmings games. We've cut out most of the levels that had you hold back the crowd and do a lot of building, and the ones that were all about difficulty of execution and timing those pernicious walking bombers. With more regret, a few levels that were fine puzzles but don't work as intended under NeoLemmix mechanics also had to go. The remaining levels have been arranged into a pack that can be played just like one of the original games, starting with simple but fun levels to ease you into the game, and ramping up to fiendish puzzles near the end.

The levels have also been improved and edited. We know these changes won't please everyone, but we've tried to find the best balance between faithfulness to the originals and streamlining the playing experience. Time limits have been removed (except when the time limit is an essential part of the level), lemming counts reduced, hidden traps revealed, and so on. We've also fixed backroutes on some levels, so that the player has to engage with the puzzle, hopefully leading to a greater appreciation of some of the beautiful solutions 8-)

All aspects of the pack, from level selection and ordering to the smallest changes, have been decided on by group discussion -- no wonder that it took us 18 months to finish putting the pack together! Early on, bsmith and namida were responsible for coordinating the discussion and compiling the pack according to group consensus; after namida's departure, I took over this role.

Lemmings Redux contains 160 levels, in five ranks of 32 levels each:

Gentle

Let's go to the moon!

Quirky

Haunted botanical garden

Zany

Mutiny on the Bounty

Manic

ROCKY VI

Lunatic

Evacuating a coal mine

Lemmings Redux is currently a pack for old-formats (10.13) NeoLemmix. However, once new-formats is stable, I will convert the pack and maintain it for both formats.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:23:42 AM by Proxima »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Redux
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »
I must say I find the Genesis and PSP levels most interesting - not just because they're new to me, they also seem most challenging in comparison. Playing "Going their separate ways" again was also nice. Did you recreate these levels manually, or could you export level image files from Mac somehow?

Though I do wonder what "Pop your top" from ONML is doing in here. Wasn't that level based entirely on bomber execution stuff? I played that level just recently as part of revisiting ONML, and already considered it pretty pointless there ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Though I do wonder what "Pop your top" from ONML is doing in here. Wasn't that level based entirely on bomber execution stuff? I played that level just recently as part of revisiting ONML, and already considered it pretty pointless there ;) .

I thought the level stats on this level were slightly off as well in my LP. I always knew it as save 53 of 60 lemmings according to the Windows version.
The Redux version allows you to lose 10 Lemmings.

The level is still a puzzle without the bomber timing I feel, it's a strange inclusion but I can see why this one is in the pack rather than Pop Till You Drop which is so reliant on bombers!

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
Although you could complete both levels without using a single bomber.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Redux
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
You'd have to ask namida where he got "Going Their Separate Ways" from; it was included in the Extra Levels NL pack before Redux got started.

"PoP YoR ToP" is indeed much easier with untimed bombers, which is why it got demoted to the Rank 2 opener. I think it's still a fairly enjoyable "any way you want" level. ("PoP TiL YoU DrOp", by contrast, looks rather silly once you realise you can completely ignore the two outermost hatches.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 03:41:05 AM »
I've uploaded a new version of the pack, fixing a few bugs that Flopsy spotted in his LP, and one that I spotted myself:

* PoP YoR ToP reverted to lose-7, so you can't ignore one hatch.
* If at first you don't succeed... has no water.
* Final impediment reverted to the original skillset, not the reduced skillset we considered in the development topic.
* I am A.T. was overlooked as a level that should keep its original lemming count.

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
I solved all of the levels and earned all talismans.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
You'd have to ask namida where he got "Going Their Separate Ways" from; it was included in the Extra Levels NL pack before Redux got started.

I remembered seeing it on a fansite back in the LemEdit days, so I tracked down the site (may have had to use archive.org, not sure) and got the LVL file from there. I also made a few tweaks to parts that looked a bit weird. I don't know who originally put it there, but I'm fairly sure it was remade rather than extracted. I wouldn't remember now what site it was.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:59 AM »
Certain levels won't work for me because "the graphic set 'dirt_md.dat' could not be found".

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
chrisleec728 I have attached the missing dirt_md.dat file that is causing your error below. Place it in your "styles" folder, and everything should work after that :)

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 10:13:19 PM »
Hmm...I have a "styles" folder, but it's in relation to Superlemmini, not NeoLemmix. When I downloaded NeoLemmix, it doesn't appear that anything else came with it. However, I experimented with the Internet Options and I think that fixed it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:20:43 PM by chrisleec728 »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
Hmm...I have a "styles" folder, but it's in relation to Superlemmini, not NeoLemmix. When I downloaded NeoLemmix, it doesn't appear that anything else came with it. However, I experimented with the Internet Options and I think that fixed it.

There won't be a "styles" folder by default (unless you've already downloaded and added some styles, perhaps as a result of the internet options that allow for automatic downloading of certain styles - including this one). You can just create it yourself.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »
Sorry to have taken so long to get round to it, but I've finally watched all of joshescue's replays. (Don't worry SQron, I'll watch yours soon when I have another hour free :P ) Most solutions were familiar, but there were some really nice ones that were new to me, particularly on "KEEP ON TRUCKING", "The Lemming Funhouse", "Steel Block Party", "It's hero time", "Which one are you trying to get?" and "Fall and no life (Part Two)".

I was especially impressed that you saved 100% on "Water processing plant", which I looked at as a possible talisman but believed to be impossible on NeoLemmix. Another impressive solution was "Electric circuit" using every skill -- maybe we've found the true intended solution at last?

Two levels stand out as still having backroutes that I'd like to fix: "Oh No! Squish" and "Let's go camping". After I've watched SQron's replays, I'll make time to look at these, then post a final version of old-formats Redux and use this as the basis for the long-delayed conversion to new-formats.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 06:53:04 AM »
By the way are there any plans to convert this pack to the new formats?

edit: oops,  I  had not read the last part of your post before posting my comment! In this case I am looking forward for the conversion to the new formats!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:10:43 AM by Turrican »
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q