Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER] Secret levels / level unlocking in general  (Read 8174 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
BitBucket: https://bitbucket.org/namida42/neolemmixplayer/issues/15/overhaul-progression-system

So - following on from this topic, let's discuss the future of secret levels.

I've already decided to cull the secret level trigger object (the one which involves a secret level being unlocked by reaching a hidden point in a normal level (or, in one former case, in another secret level)). This is not up for discussion.

But what is up for discussion is secret levels in general. In particular, the other currently-supported way of unlocking them is that secret levels can be unlocked when a talisman is obtained. This one, I am more open to keeping if there's enough interest. (A third way which is technically supported is to hide the code for them somewhere - the former Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack used this for one level, by scattering parts of the code among various normal levels. I would rather not encourage this approach.)

I'm also open to allowing other ways of accessing them, if any really good ones are suggested. I'm equally open to culling the secret level feature altogether, and ultimately that is what I'm currently leaning towards.

EDIT: I have decided to remove secret levels altogether.

Adding to this - if we decide against secret levels (or even if we don't), what about unlocking of regular levels? Currently, the choice is between L1 behaviour of "beat each level to unlock the next", or the more-commonly-used "every non-secret level is always unlocked" behaviour. Should we change this to always having the latter behaviour - keeping in mind that most players, if they're interested in playing the whole pack, will tend to play levels in order and not skip anyway? Should we perhaps have a PS3-like option, where 5 or so levels per rank are unlocked initially, and beating any one of them unlocks the next? Or any other ideas?

EDIT: Unlock all will be the only behaviour in future. Progress tracking will be improved.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:10:33 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER] Secret levels?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
As I've said before, I'm strongly in favour of keeping secret levels (but not triggers). Evidence from the other topic shows several designers like the feature and want to use it in their packs, so why not?

As I also pointed out, secret rooms and levels are a long-running feature in the DROD series, and have always been popular with players -- there is the excitement of unlocking them, and the mystery of knowing that a secret exists, and trying to work out how to get to it. However, DROD players (on the whole) prefer and appreciate secrets where the entrance is clearly visible, but still difficult to reach. This would correspond either to talisman-secrets, or to another kind I suggested in last night's chat: use a visible exit as a secret level trigger, and distinguish it in some way from regular exits.

Another point borrowed from DROD (but used in other games as well, of course): secrets can serve the purpose of being bonus challenge levels above the difficulty of the main pack.

I also suggested that an additional way to unlock a secret would be completing all levels of a rank. This allows a designer to have all non-secret levels start out unlocked, and still provide a reward for completing them.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
Moving between Drod rooms is part of the game, but moving between NL levels is not. When we map NL levels to Drod rooms, that map doesn't preserve game structure.

The reward for completing an NL pack is a directory full of working replays. Secrets would add a second, weaker goal in NL. Discovering content is not a strong reward -- full argument below the second quote.

Lovely article: Design of secrets in Donkey Kong Country 2. DKC2 is exclusively about finding secrets. Beating the final boss without finding all secrets is comparatively easy. Neolemmix is not like DKC2.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER] Secret levels / level unlocking in general
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Since the idea came up in the chat, and it's related, I decided to also include the nature of unlocking regular levels in this discussion too. So feel free to also leave your comments about that here.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »
What follows is just my personal opinion: I have yet to find one game (Lemmings or otherwise) where I found unlocking secret levels rewarding (though I haven't really played DROD yet). Most of the time, I am even totally unaware of the existence of secret levels and only read about them on the internet once I finished the game. But by then I am much too lazy to go back an unlock the secret levels. In NeoLemmix the only secret levels I ever played (and will ever play) were the ones that were regularly selectable in the beta versions for playtesters.
So to all level designers thinking about adding secret levels: Be aware that some players will love secret levels, but others will never play them.

Another point borrowed from DROD (but used in other games as well, of course): secrets can serve the purpose of being bonus challenge levels above the difficulty of the main pack.
Then one could just add them as an additional rank in the level pack together with a brief description explaining their function. As Simon said: In Lemmings you don't move from room to room and so incredibly hard levels in an additional rank don't hurt the rest of the game.

I also suggested that an additional way to unlock a secret would be completing all levels of a rank. This allows a designer to have all non-secret levels start out unlocked, and still provide a reward for completing them.
In level packs where I have played and solved all levels, the save file almost never records all levels as solved, because I have ended a level early (when I am too lazy to timeskip to the end) or because I already played a level in an earlier or demo version. I am even fairly sure that none of my own versions of NepsterLems contains even one fully completed rank, even though I have working replays for all levels.
I am aware that my playstyle might be an exception to the rule, though.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
As I said quite a few times in IRC:  Everything should be visible, everything should be playable!

It's a puzzle game, not a game about finding hidden stuff!

I want to play and solve levels and not finding them! So the invisible triggers are a no-go and even the "unlock type" of secret levels is not a fun addition.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 09:15:41 PM »
Secrets work when you are unlocking things such as extra characters, fun dialogue/extra worldbuilding, things like that. They don't really work however if they just unlock more gameplay with nothing else with it, especially in a game with completely separate levels. With lemmings there isn't really anything other than gameplay, there's no story or multiple characters or anything. So secret's don't add anything, for me anyway.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »
As I said quite a few times in IRC:  Everything should be visible, everything should be playable!

I remember in the past you were in favor of not having everything unlocked from the start (regular levels). However, I also notice you've recently changed your packs to unlock-all. Does this mean you no longer feel that don't-unlock-all should be an option (or that it isn't too important)?
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »

I remember in the past you were in favor of not having everything unlocked from the start (regular levels). However, I also notice you've recently changed your packs to unlock-all. Does this mean you no longer feel that don't-unlock-all should be an option (or that it isn't too important)?

From my post in the unlock all topic (http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2136.msg51613#msg51613):

For a long time my opinion was against unlock all. It's not Lemmings like and you need to progress to the final boss level.
But after this thread appeared I thought about it and now I ask myself why Lemmings wasn't unlock all in the first place!

It has to do with a (and maybe even the) main point of the game:

You get stuck! (and sometimes over weeks and months)

It's is a puzzle game, so you need to think about a solution to a puzzle. Here the puzzle is to manipulate the terrain to get from A to B.
If you think about a solution and don't get it right away you are stucked at this point.
If you don't get stucked in a pack (getting all the solution after a few tries) the whole puzzle aspect of this pack falls short.
And remember: What are the levels which you will remember forever????
The ones you got stuck really hard and solved them finally after days, months or even years. And often they are the best ones! Example: The original games!
"No added colors or Lemmings" and  "There's madness in the method" are the levels where nearly everyone got stuck (I got stuck for a year back in the days and there are my favorites).

But there is one point that keeps pushing these type of puzzles down:

The levels from this point onward lay dead!

If you get stuck hard you often need to take breaks from this level. What do you do?
Play another rank or take a break from the game.
If you are stuck for a long time you maybe loose interest in the pack even if you played just a part of it, because you cannot access the rest! (which usually has a lot of levels where you won't get stuck)

And that's the point why unlock all is in my opinion the best option.
A big part of the game lays dead and some people might loose interest after some time. With unlock all they can explore the game further on and come back to the level they couldn't solve before. (And they will, because that level will haunt them in their dreams! I know it from myself!)
Now they can see the pack in all it's glory and save the frustraiting part for the end.
But don't leave out the frustraiting part, because as explained above it is often the best one when you have beaten it! ;)

At the end of this post a little quote from me I said to Simon at our meet up as we spoke about this topic (translated):

"Frustraition at it's core, if you are too dumb at this point to get the solution, but that is one of the main point of the game"

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:20 PM »
Having skimmed through the thread so far, I think the best point made is basically what Nepster pointed out, which I'll paraphrase as follows:

Lemmings don't historically have secret levels in any of its official games, so not everyone expects their existence, and clearly from just this thread alone, they'll likely have a mixed reception.  In making a level secret, you are looking at a tradeoff between those who will have enhanced enjoyment over unlocking them, versus those who never discovered them or bothered to unlock them later, versus those like Icho who would probably be rather annoyed that they exist.

I'm less in agreement with some of the other points made on the thread, but I'll defer discussion to when I actually have more time to type more, especially when those other points are IMO less relevant than the point above.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Locking (or hiding) levels doesn't make sense to me whichever way I look at it.

As a player, I want to look over the levels and start with those that interest me most. This almost certainly won't be the first level (as chosen by the designer). Thus I'd prefer to see all the levels in a menu, as they are in Lix. The eventual goal is to solve them all, but the order of solving doesn't matter.

As a level designer, I want people to play my levels. Locking them doesn't help towards this end :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
I think the comparison to DROD secret rooms might be a bad comparison that sort of derailed the thread into the wrong direction to start with (the whole "exploration" comparison), given that namida already said secret level triggers are to be removed anyway.  I don't know exactly how talisman works in the game, but it sounds like with talismans being the unlock condition, secret levels would be more akin to challenges with the reward being another level in addition to a talisman.  I don't know that necessarily make the idea any more compelling, though seeing that some people like Ramon already self-impose restrictions on how they play through levels in a set (as I recall, he refused to, at least for as long as he can, to solve the Lix community set out of order), I suppose unlocking levels in a more general manner is not that different from playing levels as if one unlocks the next, though clearly there are good reasons why some prefer a more "all levels unlocked" style of play.

I do think it can work to have both coexist.  It is reasonable to allow some people to start off with everything unlocked, while letting other people play under a progressive unlock style if they so choose.  Similarly, level set designers can choose to not have anything locked, or to define a unlock progression that they believe is the best way to enjoy the levels, while conceding that it is always a valid choice for others to choose the option to unlock all on the outset.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
It seems only Proxima is in favor of keeping them. Also - if I'm not mistaken - at this point (now that secret levels have been removed from the Lemmings Plus games), the only packs that still have them are the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack and Revenge of the Lemmings. The former has them precisely because they exist; I'm not sure exactly what the reasoning is in the latter's case.

Proxima, do you have any actual plans to use them in your own content, or do you just like the idea of encountering them in packs that you play?

I'm definitely leaning even more strongly towards removing them altogether now - and also, most likely, towards mandatory unlock-all - but I wouldn't consider anything "final" yet.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 12:53:45 PM »
The only argument against unlock all is the sense of progression you get from unlocking the next level - and i guess that is also part of the argument here for the secret levels being unlocked from talismans. For me, i am a huge fan of unlock all (and don't see why this logic shouldn't apply to the "secret levels" as well - I want to be able to play what looks interesting, possibly out of order if i get stuck). I think you could achieve the same feel of progression by having the option of specifying 3 versions of each ranking sign:
1) Default rank sign
2) Version of the rank sign with all levels completed (E.g. you could add a badge or write 100% or change the color or something)
3) Version of the rank sign with all levels complete & all talismans achieved

That way you have visible progression on the main menu, without having progression gate access to content. A "Percentage Completion" appearing somewhere would be nice touch too. Though i do admit i am straying a bit from the original goal of this topic, I think it is kind of a related issue. I don't think secrets should be locked away (because i don't like finding out i have missed out on cool content), but they could always go into a bonus rank which sits as the last rank, which you can complete at your leisure and will count towards your completion scores.
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »
The eventual plan is to do away with the "main menu" as it currently exists, and instead:
1. Have a single menu from which all packs you've downloaded can be played, instead of having to restart NeoLemmix to load a different pack
2. Within this menu, have a selection system more comparable to that of WinLemm / SuperLemmini (also somewhat like Lix, but not quite a full-blown file browser as such)

The idea of having varied rank signs, while nice if the existing structure were to be kept, doesn't fit in very well with that goal.
My Lemmings projects