Author Topic: Tricks with the new NeoLemmix Experimental skills(Slider/Laserer)  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
This post is follow-up to Strato's "Tricks with the new NeoLemmix skills"

I've been playing with new experimental skills for past few weeks.
Both laserer and slider are fantastic imo and they have a lot of puzzle potential.
I think it's good to have a thread for discussing what we can do with these new skills.
So, let me start :D

Slider

The most basic usage of slider is probably giving a lemming capability to survive a fall of any height.(works as a substitute for the floater)
I think the most glaring differences between the slider and the floater are 1) slider can transit to shimmier and 2) slider turn around after every falling

1) Slider can transit to shimmier
Slider in combination with the shimmier, it can cross underside of platforms. And it opens up opportunities of accessing area where lemmings never had access to before.

2) Slider turn around after every falling
This is what makes the slider a more interesting skill. Slider lemmings turn around after every falling. This is very powerful ability definitely, but at the same time this ability can be disadvantages at some points. So when you play a level featuring slider, you always have to keep in mind that when you take advantages of slider ability(fall survival, turning around), you have to overcome its disadvantages at some points.

e.g1) Imagine you have only one constructive skill and one gap to cross, and the worker lemming is a slider. If you just build across the gap, the worker lemming will turn around after he finished his job and die.

We want to reuse the slider so don't want to let him die. So what can we do to save him?

You can assign digger to the slider lemming after he finish building then he will fall down without turning around!

Or you can assign blocker to the slider lemming after he finish building and later release him with second pioneer lemming.

e.g2) You can contain group of slider lemmings in creative ways. Here're some examples :

You can later release them with just one destructive skill.

You can even contain slider+climber athletes with stacker+miner(or stacker+basher)

e.g3) You can send a lemming to a bomber hole and make a splatform from there.

Laserer

The lemming stand still and fires 45 degree laser and destroy all the terrains in its way until the laser comes into contact with steel or reaches its maximum height. Unlike laser blaster in Lemmings2 the tribe, Neolemmix laserer is angled.

1) The most basic usage of laserer is probably using it at the end of the level to release the crowd.
Contain every lemming except for one pioneer lemming -> Send pioneer lemming right next to the exit -> use laserer to destroy the ceiling and release the crowd.
This method is only possible when the exit is at the lower layer of the level than where the crowd is.

2) Laserer can destroy multiple layers of terrains.
e.g1) With only one laserer, you can release the crowd by destroying the terrain under the blocker and at the same time, destroy the upper layer of the terrain so the shimmier can keep going.

e.g2) Combine with blocker(or cloner), laserer can destroy both left and right side of the terrains.
(You need to place a blocker to hold back the crowd anyway. ;))

3) Laserer create shimmier-friendly terrain.
As you can see from the above gif, laserer tunnel is wide enough so that the shimmier can keep going.

So, I tried to introduced some of the tricks I found featuring new skills.(I exclude some advanced tricks that I already use in my unreleased new skill levels. :D) Feel free to add any tricks you know !
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Tricks with the new NeoLemmix Experimental skills(Slider/Laserer)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:36:02 AM »
Really nice work! I wonder if the images should be spoiler tagged so as to give players a chance to try out these tricks. But anyway, I've had lots of fun watching these so thank you.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:20:32 AM »
Nice list! :thumbsup:

Please continue to post everything here - it will help me out greatly with the Intro Pack when the time comes. ;P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:03:21 PM »
This is more an extension of the shimmier tunnel one, but you can...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also in general - Laserer is interruptible. There's no midstroke effect like with bashers/miners/fencers, but you can still make a shorter tunnel this way.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 06:26:56 AM »
Nice list, and well illustrated :thumbsup:

The laserer can also be used to tunnel horizontally, albeit by a very short distance. Useful to know for challenges, at least.

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »
I've made a level to illustrate some of tricks with laserers!
Most of the skills are given as pick-up, so the entropy of the level is extremely low.
But just in case if you find this level difficult, I also attached the solution replay.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
Cool showcase level!
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 07:23:38 PM »
Hi Armani, I've solved your laserer level. Replay attached. Nice level showcasing various laserer tricks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I think the precision in other parts of the level can be reduced a bit, for example the middle area. I checked your solution after I solved it, and it appears that I made it harder on myself than I needed to, especially since our solutions differ in a couple of spots. For example, I can't believe I didn't see how to make the end part easier :forehead: To be fair, I'm still kind of sleepy myself and wasn't really thinking clearly. Even then, I would say the level is medium, almost borderline into hard difficulty even with the pickups. In particular, I was a dummy with the middle area and couldn't get up the laserer tunnel, but that's because I did the builder and stacker in the wrong order :XD:

I was going to post maybe a few slider tricks I've learned from Niesch's second pack here, but I need some time to think about them, as I seem to have maybe found what might be some inconsistencies with it, but they might be intended behavior. I'll have to check with namida. Also, I have no idea how you post the images the way you did, with getting them to be animated and all.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 04:10:04 AM »
Well done!
Your solution and mine are different in couple of spots but I consider it slight alternative solution to intended solution.

I was going to post maybe a few slider tricks I've learned from Niesch's second pack here, but I need some time to think about them, as I seem to have maybe found what might be some inconsistencies with it, but they might be intended behavior. I'll have to check with namida. Also, I have no idea how you post the images the way you did, with getting them to be animated and all.

I assume you already know how to upload non-animated image? I use free software ScreenToGif to record the screen and save it in gif format. After that it's basically same to uploading non-animated image. I upload gif file to imgur.com and copy BBCode(Forums) and paste that here.