Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] New skills general discussion  (Read 25772 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] New skills general discussion
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2021, 06:24:52 AM »
Played some new skill levels after V7 release.
I think I've backrouted almost everything. :P
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2021, 06:50:55 AM »
Also played namida's levels.
Again, most of them are backroutes I think. (probably one intended?)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
version 2 of my new skills level(backroute) is in the new skills thread

Rette uns, Herr lemming

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2021, 08:08:03 AM »
Played some new skill levels after V7 release.
I think I've backrouted almost everything. :P

Oh well, only 1 slider left for my level. That's acceptable (since it will probably be a Fun ranked level).:thumbsup:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2021, 09:52:15 PM »
I am reminding people again - do NOT use the level sharing topic for anything other than posting levels!

There has been a major spike in posts that are not suitable for that topic showing up lately, to the point that I am considering whether I need to start issuing warnings for it.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel so strongly about this?

Also, it's only natural that people will want to discuss the levels and share replays in the space that feels most relevant.

To keep it relatively easy to find the levels themself, rather than having to wade through the discussions.

As a tip: You can click "quote" on a message in that topic, then copy/paste into a reply in this topic, to have the link etc preserved.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2021, 08:49:12 PM »
ok solved niesch's v3 level "Spoilt for Choice"

Had a glider and a floater left
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:39:06 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2021, 09:13:48 PM »
ok solved the 2nd version of Strato's "Thus spoke Zarathrustra".
Still had plenty of skills left and also didn't use the jumper pickup skill. Still most likely a backroute.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2021, 07:37:52 AM »
ok solved niesch's v3 level "Spoilt for Choice"

Had a glider and a floater left

Good solution! Did you like the level? It's intended to be a Fun ranked one. As the title suggests there are many possible solutions. I hope it's still fun and challenging enough.
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
Okay, so I just found out it's possible to shoot a laser through a water area that is on top of terrain, thus creating a tunnel a Swimmer can pass through in both directions. :D

This is a great way to seal off paths so that they can only be traversed e.g. by pioneers (if they are Swimmers), rather than the whole crowd:

The very first level on which I'm using this would in principle also work without the water in place, by simply having the pioneer walk up the Laserer tunnel.
However, the level also requires two Builders, and this would allow simply building up into the Laserer tunnel and having the entire crowd follow that path - if it weren't for the water inside the tunnel. ;)

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if something similar can also be done in Lemmings 2: The Tribes, i.e. with a vertical Laser Blaster. Since Climbers and Rock Climbers can go around 90° corners in L2, i.e. transition from a Shimmier back to a (Rock) Climber, I wanted to laser blast somewhere under a water pool, send a (Rock) Climber / Shimmier up, and then have him climb into the Laser Blaster shaft until he reaches the water and starts swimming. In short, I wanted to see whether L2 Swimmers also "float up" to the surface.

Well, turns out I can't actually try this, because somehow all the water pools in the official L2 levels seem to be surrounded entirely by steel. ^^

But has anyone who made custom levels for Lemmings 2: The Tribes ever tried something like this?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2021, 09:13:05 PM »
Did you ever try this pack, Strato? https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3655.0. As I haven't gotten too far in the pack myself, I don't know if kieran made any levels in the pack that allow you to test what you're trying to
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2021, 09:41:07 PM »
Yes, I have it installed for my DOS Box version of Lemmings 2 (while keeping the Amiga .bat Version for the original levels). However, most of the puzzles were too hard for me, and at least in the screenshots, I also can't see any water pits that aren't made of steel.

Most importantly, I don't have any influence on the skillset for each level. That's something that is only possible in practice mode - and the practice levels either only have water areas surrounded by steel, or don't feature any water areas at all. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2021, 12:48:40 AM »
Ah, that's a bummer. Kieran's probably the likely person who might be able to answer for you, either because he has levels in the pack for which he can test and see, or he might be able to quickly put together a level and check. Possibly the people who streamed (Simon and Geo, I think?) the pack from about a month or two ago can also answer :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2021, 06:05:04 AM »
You can experiment even without level modification, by crawling into the water from below:

You can walk at the bottom of a water pit. Probably another relic of programming with the lemming's pin in the floor. :P If you gain even a single pixel of height, you'll drown.

Experiment what happens when this underwater walker has the swimmer ability. I conjecture that they warp to the top surface of the water, then swim.

How to crawl: When lemmings are trapped within a 1x1 hole (1xN also? I forgot), or trapped completely within terrain, they'll crawl. Roper and platformer are excellent to prepare 1x1 holes. Sometimes, a roper alone can do it, e.g., by a precise angled shot into a corner, or into the lovely Outdoor tribe roots.

To make levels, e.g., to test with unsteeled water: Combine lgl2 with geoo's L2 suite, copy the entire L2 directory and edit the levels within the copy.

L2 (the DOS program) will try to load levels from the emulated C:\L2 if that exists, and from its current emulated directory otherwise. Thus, if you have several copies of L2, don't mount any of them as C:\L2, to avoid this confusion.

-- Simon

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2021, 09:46:21 AM »
Wow, thanks a lot, Simon! :thumbsup:

I've tried it out, and indeed, just like the Drowners in this example, Swimmers "warp" straight to the top of the water area instead of drifting diagonally upwards comparatively slowly (as they do in NeoLemmix).

Again, I've used the Amiga .bat version for this, but assuming your video was made in the DOS version and it still shows a similar behaviour (just with Drowners instead of Swimmers in this case), I'm certain this behaviour is the same in both versions.
My packs so far:

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »
ok solved v4 of Spoilt for choice. Had 1 shimmier left