Author Topic: Casualemmings 2.0  (Read 5033 times)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
Casualemmings 2.0
« on: March 21, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »
Another remastering of Casualemmings is out, updated for version 12.12!

If you're familiar with the original game, this pack could work as an entry point for the world of custom levels in NeoLemmix (maybe!)

With a total of 146 levels across 5 ranks, Casualemmings should be a nice, friendly romp for players with some experience.
For a while, anyway...

TECHNICAL NOTES
This pack is built for NeoLemmix version 12.12.4. Earlier versions may not work.
This pack includes a custom style. Be sure to install it or certain levels will not work. All other styles used can be downloaded from the styles manager in-game.

DOWNLOAD LINK
Levels and music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzozfmsob5a61z9/Casualemmings_V3.zip?dl=1
Custom sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1315iwhzyr154y5/Casualemmings_sounds.zip?dl=1
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 03:33:10 PM by nin10doadict »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Casualemmings 2.0
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 07:20:18 AM »
Just completed Calm (replays attached), I'm enjoying these so far.

As intended, they're decent, casual levels to play through. 43 levels for the first rank is a lot, and it started to feel a bit relentless towards the end, but I'd say at least half of them you can just blast your way through so I guess it's justified!

Most notable levels (check out my replays, some of these might of interest for backroutes/alternative solutions/possible talismans):

Feedback (click to show/hide)

I'm looking forward to giving the Perky levels a go. As I understand it from the original Casualemmings post, the difficulty drops slightly at the start of each rank. I think this is a good thing, the original game does that and it can be reassuring and encouraging to the more casual players.

Great work nin10doadict. :thumbsup:

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »

UPDATE ok enabling online things in settings seems to have worked ignore me

Just started fun so far.

A few levels won't play for me says "some pieces used by this level are missing download the missing styles manually or enable online features in neolemmix config to try to autoload them" tried copying the styles folder in again manually no luck.  Don't know how to do the config thing any suggestions?

Levels affected so far

Bad kitty
Oi push da buttons
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:03:34 PM by mantha16 »

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
I did a dumb. I enhanced some other custom styles I used in this pack, but forgot to include those updates in the download. :forehead:

The download has been updated to include the new style changes. I'll try to get those added to the style manager as well.

Also, Hyper level 10 revolves around a change I made to a style that may not have been added to the style manager yet. If the one-way arrows seem to be strangely positioned or cut off, then let me know.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:49:31 AM »
So, I quickly glanced over the level lest, and I noticed the level "Super Mecha Death Gators" seems to have been cut from the pack. Perhaps I can help you restore it, though... ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 12:19:10 AM »
Version 3 is out, updated for NeoLemmix 12.12.4. Check the first post in this topic for the new download if you'd like to try it out.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 01:45:33 PM »
Hello nin10doadict,

I have solved the first two ranks. My replays are attached.

General Feedback

Casualemmings 2.0 is a remastering of nin10doadict's Old Formats version of the pack and converted to New Formats NL. In contrast to Old Formats, which has 100 levels, the New Formats version has 146 levels total, meaning there are way more levels added. Regardless, Casualemmings is his second level pack, after Lemmings Squared, which I have had the pleasure of playing through sometime last year but didn't upload solutions until recently. This level pack is pretty much aimed at those who are more casual players of Lemmings and teaching the ropes of NL, but that doesn't mean the pack is very gentle throughout. Indeed, as I have seen, there are still some real nailbiters. However, despite the content being on the easier side compared to most other level packs for NL, these levels are generally very high quality! :thumbsup: I have only played through the end of the Perky rank on Old Formats and hence haven't seen anything beyond it, but from playing both the Calm and the Perky ranks again after so long, I definitely see a far bigger improvement with this pack compared with Lemmings Squared. The other Forum members definitely weren't kidding about these levels being great.

Calm Rank Feedback

The pack pretty much starts with tutorials on the skills and NL mechanics and then after that most of the levels tend to be very gentle with easy puzzles that have very lenient skillsets and save requirements, with the occasional odd level that's harder than the levels surrounding it. This rank also clocks in at 43 levels, which is larger than any individual rank of United. I think mantha's All the Styles has a rank or a few that might also have more levels than any individual rank of United, but I could be wrong.

Also I wondered if it was pure coincidence that the first rank of Casualemmings and the first rank of PimoLems are both called Calm :laugh:

Some comments on Calm levels (click to show/hide)

Perky Rank Feedback

Levels are a tad bit harder here than in the previous rank but still should be manageable for most players with once again the occasional level that's harder than the surrounding levels. This is also the last rank that I solved all the way up through on Old Formats NL and hence anything after this is completely new to me. In particular, Perky 20 of Old Formats had me stuck the longest due to the very dangerous 3-in-1 traps and that I went about the level wrong because I thought it was going to be super fiddly. Strato also attempted to reach out to nin10doadict to see if he wanted help to convert the trap so that the level can be included in the New Formats version, but the former didn't get any response from the latter IIRC.

I will continue with the rest of the pack soon. I've already done a little over half of the Twitchy rank and continue to be very impressed with the pack :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 07:13:32 AM »
Twitchy rank completed. Replays attached and more feedback.

Twitchy Rank Feedback

For a pack that's aimed at those who are new to NL and the casual players when it comes to solving, I would have to say this rank is a huge step up in difficulty from the previous two ranks. I ran into several brick walls here and hence solving times were much slower in the rank overall. As a result, this rank took double the number of videos from either of the previous two ranks to solve all of it. Even then, the pack still continues to impress me with the many high quality levels, with some of the ones that stumped me for a while I even declare are some of my big favorites! :thumbsup:

I look forward to the Hyper levels, which I'll be seeing for the very first time in this LP, as again I haven't played anything past Perky on the Old Formats version. As usual, I continue to be very impressed by the pack and the high quality of these levels! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 09:06:40 AM »
Hyper rank completed. More replays and more feedback.

Hyper Rank Feedback

The 4th and final main rank of the pack, the hardest levels are here. However, I would have to say that Hyper wasn't as hard as I thought it be, mostly because a lot of levels are currently backroutable and hence they're easier than they're supposed to be. I'm sure if they're properly patched up then the levels will be very difficult and provide a far greater challenge. In addition, I feel that the Twitchy rank is harder than Hyper and also the strongest main rank of the pack IMO. It's not to say that the Hyper rank wasn't good, because it is, and I enjoyed the challenges in it. It's just that the the rank doesn't feel like the hardest of the pack despite being the final main rank. This pack isn't the only one I observe this being the case. Lemmings Destination by Nessy is another pack where I felt the penultimate rank of the main part of the pack was harder than the final main rank.

All right, with the four main ranks complete, that just leaves the Troll rank of 12 levels left. For this, there is a special surprise that I'll be doing for it. I'm not going to spoil it, as it won't be a surprise anymore, will it? You'll just have to tune in to find out what it is! :P

I definitely enjoyed this pack a lot! :thumbsup: Definitely much improved from Lemmings Squared, though I say that pack is good too, but Casualemmings is far better. That's even before I've done any of the Troll levels :P I can definitely recommend Casualemmings regardless of what your skill level is and despite it intended for casual players of the game, but be warned that it definitely gets quite difficult in both the final two ranks. The difficulty also goes up much faster than the jump between ranks from Lemmings Squared around the same position as Twitchy and Hyper.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 08:05:39 PM »
Troll rank finished and hence solved all of Casualemmings 2.0. My entire replay collection is attached.

Troll Rank Feedback

As the rank name suggests, these levels are designed to "troll" the player in some way. These are often levels with designs that are considered not too popular with the NL community and should be avoided when making great levels, and nin10doadict warns that these levels can cause physical pain and suffering, though this is mostly true with the levels in the second half of the rank. I'm not going to spoil anything here about any of the levels, as that would take away the entire point of the rank and would likely deter players away from ever playing the rank anyway, and any spoilers will accordingly be hidden behind the spoiler tag, so tread carefully! :P

In addition, exclusively for the Troll rank, nin10doadict has always wanted to see his Troll rank played live. Almost without hesitation, I voluntarily agreed, and so you can kind of say I was a test subject :laugh: We went a little further than that. I agreed to have him be my co-commentator for all the Troll levels. These are the final 3 videos of my LP of the pack, and if you watch them you can definitely tell we were having a great time, if our joking around and laughs are any indication. It was definitely a good idea, as these are the kind of levels that you wouldn't want to LP on your own. As I found out, except for Troll 5, the levels aren't really hard, just very long and boring, which is especially true as you go along in the rank.

The only major change I would had done here is to take longer breaks, rather than 1-2 minutes before resuming. This made it feel extremely rushed and probably tired me out faster than it should had. Granted, I know nin10doadict really wanted to get to the later levels of the rank, as it definitely seemed to be out of desperation more than anything, but I think any designer who enjoys making such levels in the first place would want others to get a move on to those levels, especially just to hear the LPer's reactions and for his amusement. At the same time, it was kind of my fault for not explaining to him beforehand that I usually tend to take a 15-20 minute break after I end the recording in order to use that time to upload the video to my YT channel, write in the video description, and finally to put in the chapters. It also took every bit of me to have him refrain from giving me any hints on Troll 5, as that was the level of the Troll rank I was stuck on the longest. As much as I hated to, I eventually called it and agreed that for the better of the co-commentating videos to skip it and move further along in the rank. It was probably for the best anyway, as it ended up needing an additional 15-20 minutes of hashing it out off-camera before I got the level solved, and by the time I decided to call it quits we had already recorded a little over an hour. By that point it sounded like it wasn't really fun for him to see me fumble with ideas or not make any real progress towards a solution, although it kind of sounded there was a bit of impatience and desperation to get to the remaining levels of the rank. Again, I can't say I blame him for wanting me to get a move on so we can see the remaining Troll levels together, but I would had loved it if I could had gotten Troll 5 solved on camera, as then I would had solved every level on camera without any level of the pack needing more than one video to get solved :P The only thing I'm confused about is what trolling there is on Troll 5, as I didn't see any? ???

Thus concludes another LP of an excellent level pack that I can absolutely recommend for others to play, even if you're not a casual player, which seems to be what the pack is targeted for, though do be warned there's the odd level(s) here and there that are harder than some of the levels surrounding it. These I point out in the outro when I did a quick overview of every level one last time before concluding the LP. In addition, I would say starting with the third rank, Twitchy, there is a huge jump up in the difficulty, almost like ONML in nature/structure, from the first two ranks. Even then, I still recommend this to players of all skills, though beginners will likely struggle too much and won't get far.

Thanks again for this pack nin10doadict, and it is definitely a huge step up from Lemmings Squared. Also, my pleasure in LPing all of the pack on camera in response to his expressing thanks and gratitude for me doing so in general. You know, just giving this pack of yours some love and attention, as it seemed to have mostly gone ignored when it was converted over to New Formats NL and released.       

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 09:05:18 PM »
Hi nin10doadict!

Here are the replays of my solutions for the pack.

Really nice pack! It contains lots of well made levels , very creative , with a lot of variety , and many good-looking levels!

My favourites are Twitchy 32 and Hyper 21! Very nice , and challenging levels!
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 04:21:52 PM »
I'm not complaining, but I adjusted the logo file a bit if you are interested. It's centered, lowered, and the letters s and u in "casual" have been slightly fattened to match a touch more.

It's slight, but I like adjusting images with photoshop.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 11:42:14 AM »
Hello nin10doadict,

my journey through the level packs continues. After I completed "The lemmings have grown" yesterday, Kaywhyn gave me two recommendations: Lemmings Open Air and Casualemmings. I decided to do the latter first and then the other one. I already completed Lemmings World Tour some time ago and so I know a bit of Strato's content, but for you, this is my first pack. I'm really excited what to expect. I will report my progress here with some notes for any individual level - and everything starts with the calm rank.

All my solutions can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/@Swerdis
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 02:51:18 PM by Swerdis »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 05:47:58 PM »
12 - Squishy and Splodey

First pre-assigned skill. Would be interesting to find out how many Lemmings can be saved here at most.

Five bombers are necessary, and I can't see a way to avoid losing one to the traps, so my guess is that 74/80 is the maximum. I'd be interested to hear if anyone beats this.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »
75 is the max. Here is my replay