Poll

How should the new skill experimentals be released?

As soon as they're ready
6 (37.5%)
Release them all at the same time
5 (31.3%)
No preference
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] The final new skill  (Read 43906 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] The final new skill
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
As I was on a roll: Here is one more round of exp level videos! 8-)

Again: All 4 new skills are present in 2 out of 3 levels. These levels shall not be an argument for or against skills and I did not in any way considered "New Skill A can be replaced with Old Skill B", so these levels are just some compilations of what went through my mind while playing around! They shall just generate a bit of hype.

Links:

4.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgQ12ixfU3I
5.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHlg4G9Sns
6.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGtR2Sd9Oo

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »
New skills seem really promising :thumbsup:
I can't wait to try them, maybe I would make some simple levels once experimental version is officially released. :thumbsup:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
i can sort of see it now what use the new skills will be shall be fun to play when the experimentals come out

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »
Thanks for putting them all into one experimental version, namida! :thumbsup: And IchoTolot did his best too immediately bring out nice skill interactions right away.

That begs the question though: If you've already done all the work anyway, including taking care of all interactions between those four new skills (which wouldn't have been the case with separate experimentals) - what's stopping us from just keeping them all at this point?

Are there any bugs or unexpected difficulties left? Does anyone consider any of these skills too complex or redundant?

Given that these are definitely going to be the final skills, and a few levels by a master level designer and solver such as IchoTolot are already enough for me to demonstrate their huge potential - I'd say just leaving them all in, as it is the case in this experimental right now, is most likely the only way to keep the entire community happy long term. :D

The Laserer and Slider perform great as expected. But even the Spearer and Grenader, about which I was most skeptical for a long time, seem completely worthwhile to me now. Especially those interactions (shimmying along a spear into a Laserer tunnel :lem-mindblown: ). Or freeing the Blockers with grenades. Just... wow!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:49:00 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »
That begs the question though: If you've already done all the work anyway, including taking care of all interactions between those four new skills (which wouldn't have been the case with separate experimentals) - what's stopping us from just keeping them all at this point?

The closest thing they really have to interactions with each other is "you can interrupt a laserer with a grenader / spearer", which is fairly generic.

The concerns about "are the skills worth it", while lesser, still remain. Some effort would still be needed for bugfixes, and shadows - currently, there's a skill shadow for the projectile arc but that's it; there's nothing for the projectile's impact, or anything whatsoever for the laser blaster. Sprites would need further work too, and the high-res graphics in particular are just placeholders (the low-res ones scaled up to 2x size).

I should make it clear that it is not in any way out of the question that all four remain. Nothing is ruled out (or ruled in, for that matter) yet.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)