Author Topic: [DISC.][PLAYER] Jumper physics  (Read 23639 times)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Re: [DISC.][PLAYER] Jumper physics
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »
An idea that occured to me this morning: the jumper skill could make use of the now redundant "boing" exit sound! 8-)

Or why not use the "hop" sound from Lemmings 2? I would like that.
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2020, 05:32:00 PM »
Yes, I would prefer that as well! :thumbsup: If the Swimmer has a custom splash sound when he falls into water, the Jumper could use a sound as well.

Then again, it would make sense for the Shimmier to also use that sound. Interestingly, thoughh, Shimmiers in Lemmings 2 don't use the "hop" sound (even though they move along the same arc as Jumpers, just with one arm raised to reach for the ceiling), but the regular assignment sound that gets played when assigning any skill; only Jumpers shout "hop". ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
Hmmm. Quite honestly, I'd prefer the "boing" sound. The "hop" sound is a bit subdued.

Could this be made user-customisable?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2020, 06:05:29 PM »
All sounds in NL are user-customisable.

Which is one reason not to use the "boing" as default; some users have chosen to keep that as the exit sound.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
All sounds in NL are user-customisable... some users have chosen to keep that as the exit sound.

How? I didn't think it was possible to change the exit sound without creating a different sound file called "yippee" (which then affects all exits)...

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
That's what I mean, and yes, it would affect all exits.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:52 PM »
I tried entering a SOUND field into the .scheme file for the default sprites under JUMPER - I can confirm that it doesn't work.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2020, 08:35:40 AM »
I believe they're user customizable in the sense that you have access to the files, which are in common formats, and can therefore swap them out. As far as I know, NeoLemmix doesn't support custom sound effect mods in styles/packs; any modifications made would therefore affect all content.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »
While there's a couple of minor details that still need closer look (one of which is with the editor, so irrelevant to this anyway), I feel the Jumper is stable enough now that I've merged it into the master branch as of commit 99E1A22.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
To those of you who've tried out the Jumper experimental build, how do you feel about the physics? Any still-remaining bugs you've noticed?

This was mentioned on discord a while back, but I checked on the newest experimental and it's still true: if a builder is assigned jumper, he will jump during some frames, but during others he will hit his own brick, so the the skill effectively becomes a walker.

I would expect the builder always to jump, even if some special-casing is needed to achieve this.

Somewhat related: On bumpy terrain, a jumper will immediately stop if assigned before a rise of 2 pixels. I can see why this happens, but it feels a bit fiddly, and I wonder if maybe the solution is to relax terrain checks at the start of the jumper's arc -- this might deal with the builder issue as well.

The simplest way to handle this would be "on the first frame, if one of the one-pixel steps would cause the lemming to stop jumping, instead of stopping jumping, just skip that one-pixel step. Apply normal terrain checks from the second frame onwards".

Obviously this would need to be tested for undesirable edge cases, and for any bugs that arise with the shadow, but it sounds like the simplest way to approach it. Anyone think there's any issue with this, or have alternate ideas?

EDIT: An alternate option might be to change the order in which the first frame's one-pixel steps are applied. I'll need to look into this one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:31:52 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2020, 04:21:51 AM »
Changing the order of the first frame's steps (while still remaining fairly logical / consistent) won't be an option here.

In regards to the builder case, all that was needed is to not perform the foot check on the first step of the first frame.

I'm not entirely sure that the 2px wall case should be changed. If the desire is to change it, then the change would be similar here - skipping the foot check at that pixel on the first frame of the Jumper sequence. To simplify the rule, this could simply be "skip the foot check on the first 3 pixels of the Jumper's first frame". (The head checks and wall checks could remain intact, I believe.) To be clear: This isn't a case of "there's a strong reason not to", just "I'm leaning towards don't change it" and I'm certianly open to changing it if the general opinion is otherwise.
My Lemmings projects