Author Topic: [DISC.][PLAYER] High-res support  (Read 10345 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC.][PLAYER] High-res support
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 11:57:12 PM »
3. No matter what rule is used to translate 2x2 high-res pixels to one low-res pixel, the terrain is not always physics-identical. For example, see the attached image - yellow pixels are solid on Mac but not DOS; red pixels are solid on DOS but not Mac; green pixels are solid on both; black pixels are not solid on either. (For the graphic, I translated upwards - a solid pixel in low-res = all four pixels solid in high-res.)

I'll still implement the support for it in NL - it'll just be up to someone else to actually convert / prepare the high-res graphics.

What would need to be done to sort this out, graphics-wise? Is a simple case of recoloring or would they need to be re-shaped to match the physics?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 02:37:17 AM »
Basically - the high-res graphic should match the shape of the low-res graphic. Or in other words - if you were to scale it up "nearest neighbour", every low-res pixel that's solid should correspond to a region of 2x2pixels on the high-res graphic where at least some of it is solid; and every low-res pixel that's not solid should correspond to a region of 2x2 pixels on the low-res graphic where none are solid.

This is only critical for terrain. For objects / lemming sprites, this doesn't matter. I also suggest waiting until an exp / RC build of NeoLemmix with the high-res feature is available before trying to work on this - it'll be a lot easier when you can test it in-game.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:00:25 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
You've seen lemmings being saved in high-resolution. How about some lemmings being nuked in high-resolution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruA7ZQIT1o
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:42 PM »
And, just a screenshot rather than a video this time, but high-res mode is practically complete now (bugfixes aside of course, I'm sure there'll be plenty that end up being needed). The only thing that's not currently working correctly is the minimap.

Oh, "but the minimap is part of the skill panel"? Yeah, I decided to high-res the skill panel too. I won't be changing anything outside of gameplay (menus etc) for V12.8.0 though; that, if it comes at all, will come later.

EDIT: Shrunk the image to half size, since no clarity is lost by doing so.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 12:09:38 AM »
High-res mode is basically completely functional now. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1HQFnrSv4E
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
Oh, "but the minimap is part of the skill panel"? Yeah, I decided to high-res the skill panel too. I won't be changing anything outside of gameplay (menus etc) for V12.8.0 though; that, if it comes at all, will come later.

Any chance of getting the Mac version skill panel? It's really nice 8-)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »

The lemming icons from it won't happen. This is because NL generates the lemming icons using the actual lemming sprites used on the level.

The rest of the panel, I don't see any major technical obstacle, though I do have a personal preference towards keeping it in the DOS style (just higher resolution). This is not, though, to an extent that I won't consider anything else - if there's enough demand, I can reconsider. And of course, even if I don't, if the sizes fit (or someone can be bothered making the needed adjustments), there's nothing at all preventing a user-side mod being made and shared.

There is one minor technical obstacle - that we don't (as far as I know) have access to Mac panel graphics with no skill / icon drawn on them. NeoLemmix relies on having separate source images for the panel background and the panel icon / etc. However, this is something that can be resolved with a little bit of time in a graphics editor app - I had to do much the same to get the DOS panel graphics into such a format.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 06:43:17 AM »

There is one minor technical obstacle - that we don't (as far as I know) have access to Mac panel graphics with no skill / icon drawn on them. NeoLemmix relies on having separate source images for the panel background and the panel icon / etc. However, this is something that can be resolved with a little bit of time in a graphics editor app - I had to do much the same to get the DOS panel graphics into such a format.

This is the closest I could get to the Mac icon - it's basically an Amiga icon (on which the Mac one is based) but slightly re-tinted here and there. I think it looks quite nice! :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:42 AM »
Here's a video with WillLem's high-res sprites. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e4BsoXtWnI

Still a few minor kinks to iron out, but it's looking good. :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »
I was never aware that the Glider actually holds on to his parachute with both hands, i.e. like the Parachuter in Lemmings 2: The Tribes :D . I thought it was just a slightly wider "umbrella", compared to the Floater, i.e. held-on with just one hand.

As such, the Glider sprite looks especially good on the lemming - the sprite for the panel, in contrast, does not, in my opinion: The Glider's feet are cut off at the bottom of the screen. Maybe a slight readjustment of the position of the sprite on the skill panel should be considered? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Here's a video with WillLem's high-res sprites. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e4BsoXtWnI

Still a few minor kinks to iron out, but it's looking good. :D

This is looking ace! It's great to see these in action.

I've made some subtle changes to the size of the glider sprite so it should be a bit less of a jump as compared to the walker/faller, and may be easier to fit better onto the panel now as well.

:thumbsup:

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 08:23:29 PM »
Are those sunglasses new? :D I certainly didn't notice them before!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 11:58:02 PM »
Are those sunglasses new? :D I certainly didn't notice them before!

Yes! I just always see pictures of hang-gliders wearing sun goggles, so thought it'd be a fun inclusion to the hi-res sprite. :thumbsup: