Author Topic: [BUG][STYLES] Left-facing climber animation missing a few pixels on one frame  (Read 1142 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
This bug is already fixed for V12.8.0, but I'm posting about it because there's a really interesting fact about this one.

One frame of the climber animation is missing a couple of hair pixels on the left-facing graphic, compared to the right.

What makes this interesting - is that these missing pixels are missing even on vanilla Lemmix (and thus, DOS Lemmings too - I have no reason to believe there'd be a Lemmix/DOS difference in play here) - which thus makes this the new record holder for the longest-surviving DOS Lemmings glitch in NeoLemmix, by a long shot (direct drop was eliminated years ago).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Did you find this bug on your own or someone else pointed it out?  Is it natural discovery from the ongoing work on creating/borrowing hi-res lemmings sprites?  Either way, good eye! :lem-shocked:  I don't think I'd ever noticed myself.

Kinda curious now whether we might see the same graphics bug in other ports of the game as well.  In the DOS game IIRC they often store separate animation sprites for left vs right, which makes it plausible for someone to forget to apply, say, a last-minute graphics change to one of the two versions of graphics.

Also curious whether this bug remains on ONML and other L1-based games.  After all, we know DOS ONML did fix a few things like the ABBA ordering for two-entrance levels.  The Xmas lemmings games likely were "fixed" by virtue of having a completely different set of holiday-themed sprites.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Did you find this bug on your own or someone else pointed it out?  Is it natural discovery from the ongoing work on creating/borrowing hi-res lemmings sprites?  Either way, good eye! :lem-shocked:  I don't think I'd ever noticed myself.

Yeah, I noticed it while trying to line up the high res sprites correctly with the low res ones.

Kinda curious now whether we might see the same graphics bug in other ports of the game as well.  In the DOS game IIRC they often store separate animation sprites for left vs right, which makes it plausible for someone to forget to apply, say, a last-minute graphics change to one of the two versions of graphics.

DOS has separate left vs right sprites for any graphic that actually has different left vs right appearances. However, I think it's less about a last minute change, and more about the sprite being cut off by the image bounds - they could have adjusted the foot positioning to deal with this (I assume) but didn't.

Also curious whether this bug remains on ONML and other L1-based games.  After all, we know DOS ONML did fix a few things like the ABBA ordering for two-entrance levels.  The Xmas lemmings games likely were "fixed" by virtue of having a completely different set of holiday-themed sprites.

I don't know for sure about ONML off-hand, but the Holiday Lemmings MAIN.DAT file has this issue as well.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)