Author Topic: Secondary animations / new pieces for official styles  (Read 11726 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Secondary animations / new pieces for official styles
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »
NL 12.6.0 shipped with secondary animations for all objects in the L1 and ONML styles (and my own styles, but that's outside the scope of this topic).

However, there are two matters here:
- Firstly, some of these secondary animations aren't the best.
- And secondly, the L2 and L3 styles still lack secondary animations.

So - this topic is for proposals / discussions around these. If you'd like to submit a candidate for an improved secondary animation, or one for an object that currently lacks secondary animations, post it here. If you've got ideas but aren't quite sure how to make them happen, discuss that here too.

Likewise, if you've got additional pieces you'd like to submit to the official styles, you can propose them here. Please note - there is an expectation that they'll fit with the general nature of the style, and won't be the kind of thing that's specific to one or two levels (use "[your username]_special" for that). Do not treat them as part of the official styles just because you posted them here - wait for one of NL's devs to confirm they've been accepted.

Please note: No one on the NeoLemmix development team is saying "we'll take your ideas and make them happen". We'll give advice / support, and integrate good ones into NeoLemmix, but actual changes will need to be created and submitted by community members.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:03:28 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary animations for official styles
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:11:59 AM »
here's an update for the brick squasher trap. It bobs up and down like the icicle trap.
You need the update to the regular trap png as it hides the first frame. The other two are two versions of the constant animation; Idk which looks better.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
Alternate animations for all the spike traps. The needles pop out a little bit.
This one doesn't require changing the main animation.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:11:25 PM »
here is one for the crystal slicer trap.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
All submissions up to this point have been accepted and will be included with the next NL styles update.

I chose the second graphic for the Brick squasher trap, and also made a very slight change to the NXMO file (for the "DISABLED" condition, changed the state from "STOP" to "PAUSE"). The others are used as presented here.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
UPDATED Re: Secondary animations / new pieces for official styles
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 04:37:01 AM »
UPDATE: Added new version of ohno_brick Water to the folder, and an improved version of the new Vine trap animation

I've made some alternative animations for some of the official objects, namely:

Rock trap (orig_dirt) has a smaller, quicker and less frequent blood drip.

Electricity disc (orig_crystal) has an electric blue shimmer.

Lizard (ohno_rock) has eyes that move like chameleon eyes, and blink less frequently.
Vine trap (ohno_rock) has an improved, more intermittent movement and looks more like the original.

Water (ohno_brick) is less vertically extreme, and raised slightly so that the swimmers appear in the water rather than the air above it.

Let me know what you think! :lemcat:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:45:58 AM by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary animations / new pieces for official styles
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 08:53:58 PM »
A locked exit for namida_lab. I think it was done by WillLem.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 01:39:16 AM »
Here are secondary animations for all the traps in the L2 and L3 tilesets! :D

Some of these definitely aren't the best, and I will happily take suggestions on how to make them better, but we've at least got a starting point now. Any traps that needed to change for the secondaries to work have been included in this folder. The clam trap has two secondaries: one for when it's active, and one for the moment it's disarmed, since trying to make a single animation work for both states looked quite bad in many situations, and the two-animation approach worked a bit better.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 01:04:10 PM »
These are great, thanks! :thumbsup: Just tried them on an L2 Highland level. For some reason, I had to install them twice until they worked, but then I saw the flower trap wiggling with its leaves.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 05:53:26 PM »
These are great, thanks! :thumbsup: Just tried them on an L2 Highland level. For some reason, I had to install them twice until they worked, but then I saw the flower trap wiggling with its leaves.

If NL was open, and had already loaded the styles in question, it may not pick up the changes until either (a) you restart NL, or (b) you play a lot of levels that aren't in that style before going back to it (at some point it will un-load the style to free up memory). Or to be more precise - since the move to new-formats, instead of doing this for entire styles, it does it for individual pieces.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 05:45:40 PM »
Here are secondary animations for all the traps in the L2 and L3 tilesets! :D

Some of these definitely aren't the best, and I will happily take suggestions on how to make them better, but we've at least got a starting point now. Any traps that needed to change for the secondaries to work have been included in this folder. The clam trap has two secondaries: one for when it's active, and one for the moment it's disarmed, since trying to make a single animation work for both states looked quite bad in many situations, and the two-animation approach worked a bit better.

Looking over them, I'm pretty happy with most of these. The ones I think need improvement (but added these ones for now):
- l2_egyptian:trap_masher - I'd personally think something similar to the squasher traps in the Marble and Brick style would work better here?
- l2_highland:trap_flower - I like the idea but perhaps the rest of the flower, particularly the head, should move a bit too?
- l2_polar:trap - Not noticable enough IMO.
- l2_space:trap_robot - I'd keep that as well since it helps reinforce that the whole thing is the trap, but it definitely needs something closer to the front as well. Maybe a glow in the eye?
- l3_biolab:trap_smasher: Should the bottom half have this glow too?
My Lemmings projects

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »
Looking over them, I'm pretty happy with most of these. The ones I think need improvement (but added these ones for now):
- l2_egyptian:trap_masher - I'd personally think something similar to the squasher traps in the Marble and Brick style would work better here?
- l2_highland:trap_flower - I like the idea but perhaps the rest of the flower, particularly the head, should move a bit too?
- l2_polar:trap - Not noticable enough IMO.
- l2_space:trap_robot - I'd keep that as well since it helps reinforce that the whole thing is the trap, but it definitely needs something closer to the front as well. Maybe a glow in the eye?
- l3_biolab:trap_smasher: Should the bottom half have this glow too?

All valid criticisms! Making the mashers move in and out would probably be better for the Egypt trap considering how small the button is. For the flower, I didn't think I was competent enough to do anything else to it, but I'll try. I absolutely agree with you on the Polar trap, two flashing pixels is not enough. I just didn't have many great ideas for that one, but I have a few now. Same for the robot trap, a glow in the eye would be much better, but I'll keep the little metal thing on the back moving as well. I thought about that for the smasher trap, but I honestly just preferred having the glow on top only. But yeah, I'll redo at least some of these.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 10:55:05 AM by The Tomato Watcher »

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 11:18:09 AM »
Alright, here are the improved animations! I took all your suggestions except for the L3 biolab smasher trap, since I like the look of the top flashing only. The Egypt trap now has its mashers moving in and out, the Highland trap now moves more fully and noticeably, even if it's perhaps a bit stilted, the Polar trap now has the funnel on top animating instead of a two-pixel flashing light, and the robot has a second secondary for its eyes in addition to the little thing in the back. I also included an updated version of the L2 Medieval dragon trap secondary, because I made a small but annoying animation error that I couldn't live with. :forehead: Any needed updates to the .NXMOs or the base animations are included in the .ZIP.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 02:54:30 AM »
Sorry for the flood of posts, but I have a new piece to propose for the L3 Shadow style. In the original game, there's an incinerator trap that I noticed was absent from the current style, so I decided I'd try to remake it (with secondary animation of course ;) ). Now, I'm not aware of a great way to get the original animation to modify, so I had to redraw it from scratch, using a gameplay video as reference. I did, however, manage to get a clean image of its idle state. My redrawing of the animation isn't super great, especially because most of the colors used in the original animation aren't found anywhere else in the style, and I was hesitant to use colors outside of the official styles, so the flame looks a bit dull, and some dithering was used. Hopefully it's passable, but if not, I'll try my best to make it better.