Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack  (Read 29394 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Link to the release topic: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5204.0

Hey there, I am currently working on the new NeoLemmix Introduction Pack which shall smoothly introduce completely new players into Lemmings and NeoLemmix.

Before making any level, I thought it would be a good idea to put a list of planned ranks (themes) with the content they shall introduce together.

So I quickly made such a list and want to ask around if there might be anything I missed. The rank names are also not final. ;)

Theme 1: Skills

- Digger
- Basher
- Miner
- Fencer
- Builder
- Platformer
- Stacker
- Walker
- Cloner
- Blocker
- Bomber
- Stoner
- Climber
- Floater
- Glider
- Swimmer
- Disarmer
- Shimmier
- Release Rate (Yes I would could this as skill related)
- Nuke (This as well)

Theme 2: Objects/Special terrain/Lemming variants --> "Interactables" maybe? (need a good name here)

- Steel
- Multiple-Hatches + Exits
- Pre-assigned Lemmings + Hatches
- Limited-count exits and entrances
- OWW (left/right)
- OWW down
- OWW up
- One-way fields
- Traps (+ single use Traps)
- Pick-up skills
- Locked Exits and Buttons
- Teleporters
- Updrafts
- Splat-pads/Anti Splat-pads
- Decorative objects
- Splitters
- Zombies

Theme 3: Functions

- Time Limits (I am unsure about putting this here)
- Vertical Scrolling
- Fast-Forward
- Directional-Select
- Priority invert
- Splat-Ruler
- Framestepping
- Clear-Physics-Mode
- Highlight Lemming
- Save-States

Theme 4: Easy skill combinations and beginner puzzles

- Athletes introduction
- Bomberless Blocker release
- Blocker substitudes (Digger holding pit, Stackers, Stoners, Stalling)
- Basic mechanics: Stepping up 6 pixels but not 7; skill-users turning on blockers; bashers ascending on a steel edge; Compression Method; interrupted basher/miner

Of course things like Fast Forward and Clear-Physics-Mode will be introduced through a little text in combination with an under normal circumstances badly designed level where the respected function will be a blessing (Example hidden traps for Clear-Physics-Mode). ;)

Alright, anything I missed or something shall be resorted? ??? Also I plan plan to create this rank by rank with releasing a public test version after a new rank is finished to get proper fedback from as many people as possible as this is something the whole forum is benefitting from.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:33:57 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »
I agree that a new introduction pack sounds like a great idea, but I think it needs some really careful thinking about structure if we're going to make it as good as it can be.

First, a few things you've missed:
* One-way fields
* Splitters
* Limited-count exits and entrances
* Splat ruler
* Should there be a "mechanics" rank, separately or combined with your rank 4? This could include things like stepping up 6 pixels but not 7; skill-users turning on blockers; bashers ascending on a steel edge; Compression Method; interrupted basher/miner... it's quite a wide field, but those are a few examples of things we take for granted that new players won't know yet.

Now let's talk about structure. Do you envisage a separate level for each skill, object and function? I'm very wary of that, since it sounds like you would have forty-two trivial levels before we even reach the "beginner puzzles". The pack needs to introduce everything clearly, for sure, but it should also be fun to play -- otherwise new players probably won't get all the way through it.

Also, you introduce fast forward in rank 3, but a majority of levels are more pleasant to play when the player knows about FF, so that they can speed through the rest of the level as soon as the route is complete. (When I was a kid, my sister and I always enjoyed watching the crowd walk to the exit and cheering them on -- but NL isn't aimed at kids.) Similar remarks apply to most control features.

I would, at the very least, drop the "control features" rank and decide where to introduce these features in the natural play of rank 1 (e.g. directional select can be introduced with one of the skills it's frequently used with, probably builders). Some levels can introduce more than one skill. At a rough guess, I would say the full introduction of all NL features could be done in around 20 levels, and would be much the better for it.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »
I've added the things you listed. Also I plan to introduce a few basic mechanics in rank 4 as well, like the ones you mentioned, I've added them to the list as well.

Now let's talk about structure. Do you envisage a separate level for each skill, object and function? I'm very wary of that, since it sounds like you would have forty-two trivial levels before we even reach the "beginner puzzles". The pack needs to introduce everything clearly, for sure, but it should also be fun to play -- otherwise new players probably won't get all the way through it.

You are right that this may be overkill, but I also want the introduction as easy as possible. As I result, I should start with a few seperate introductions and then move on to some double introductions (like floaters+gliders for example). This middle way should cull the level number by a bit.

Also, you introduce fast forward in rank 3, but a majority of levels are more pleasant to play when the player knows about FF, so that they can speed through the rest of the level as soon as the route is complete. (When I was a kid, my sister and I always enjoyed watching the crowd walk to the exit and cheering them on -- but NL isn't aimed at kids.) Similar remarks apply to most control features. I would, at the very least, drop the "control features" rank and decide where to introduce these features in the natural play of rank 1 (e.g. directional select can be introduced with one of the skills it's frequently used with, probably builders). Some levels can introduce more than one skill. At a rough guess, I would say the full introduction of all NL features could be done in around 20 levels, and would be much the better for it.

I was unsure about FF. I think it should be introduced still. I planned to make the skill introduction levels not much larger than 1 screeners so that FF would not be essential. But I could at least mention FF earlier.
For the rest, I think here comes the combination idea into play again: I could drop the rank entirely and combine them with rank 4 so they give some trivial puzzels more meaning. I think it would be better if I rename rank to theme for my list and only later form rank groupings.

I am still highly in favor of keeping skills mostly seperated from other themes as the core element should be introduced as clearly as possible without distractions. Combining skill inroductions though should be alright.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
If there is no further input here, I will soon start to create the first levels. :)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 06:26:06 PM »
I'm not sure where this fits in, if anywhere, but I do think the "Wild 15 Glitch" (digger changes direction if another lemming nearby is made a blocker, even though said blocker is instantly released) needs to be introduced somehow, because the lack of initial visual feedback and its niche use make it easily overlooked by someone not in the know.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 06:41:58 PM »
I'm not sure where this fits in, if anywhere, but I do think the "Wild 15 Glitch" (digger changes direction if another lemming nearby is made a blocker, even though said blocker is instantly released) needs to be introduced somehow, because the lack of initial visual feedback and its niche use make it easily overlooked by someone not in the know.

It definitely can in the last rank where some basic level solving skills and essential tricks are introduced. I would consider the "digger-blocker combination" easy enough to understand for new players and of essential level solving knowledge, as it is used quite regulary.

In general, with tricks there is a line to draw here. An introduction pack should, out of the near endless ammount of tricks, only introduce easy ones that are of essential level solving knowledge (like digger holding pits for example).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:13 PM »
I guess a good test for whether or not to include a trick, would be either (a) it's used in what appears to be an intended solution in an official level, or (b) it's used very commonly in custom content. (For example, using constructive skills to add terrain that keeps a destructive skill going - as far as I recall this is never used in any official level, but it's a very common custom level trick, so I'd say it should be in there.)

Perhaps A should be amended to "unless it only occurs in a single level and the trick is the entire level", such as the "I Am AT" trick (although perhaps that one's been done to death enough in custom levels that it qualifies under B anyway... :P ).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 04:29:41 AM »
Generally the Wild 15 Glitch doesn't appear too often in my experience, so it's something that catches people by surprise.  The other reason is because I still want to see if a level can guide a player towards the trick so they can complete it without having to jump through so many logical hoops or be explicitly told it... my criteria for embracing that trick/glitch.

Another 'trick' level... building a step on a steel plate and mining to turn around.  Very common trick.  Though not really intended on any official level, it can be used to solve "Fall and no life (part two)" (the original 2-miner version) by letting the pathfinder float towards the exit, then using the two tools to turn around on the steel walkway, instead of building across to the water pit first.

EDIT: Actually, never mind... there's another solution that uses the trick and only uses one miner overall (replay created from Lunatic 32 of Lemmings Redux).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:40:31 AM by Crane »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
I've finished the skill introduction rank and added a download link of the first beta version of the pack to the main post. :)

I am especially unsure about the pre-level texts. If you find any spelling errors, point them out to me.

I appreciate all kinds of feedback! :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
Great job, IchoTolot! :thumbsup: I really like the skill-pair combinations you went with - they all seem like each other's logical counterparts (blockers and bombers; climbers and shimmiers; floaters and gliders; builders and platformers; miners and fencers; walkers and cloners, etc.)

Also, they look really pretty! I'm happy you've put so much work into "stylizing" even these easier levels, because that makes them feel like actual, original DMA Lemmings level to me.

Two levels (2 and 11) I can't play though, because of a missing "flame_deco" piece in the Marble tileset?

I'm pretty sure I just recently updated my style folder with the newest release. ???

Some remarks:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 10:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Two levels (2 and 11) I can't play though, because of a missing "flame_deco" piece in the Marble tileset?

Oh yes, these tiles were non-standard special tiles. I've removed them from the levels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is more advanced stuff that would go into the last rank where I go into some basic tricks. In this rank only the basics are taught.

In the climber-shimmier level, you call both of them permanent skills. Shimmiers aren't permanent skills, though ;) .

Yeah, I screwed up there. :XD: I've corrected the text.

And with that:

V 0.02 is out!

- Removed the non-standard tiles.
- Reworked the introduction text of the stoner/stacker level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 11:39:47 PM »
Regarding the beta,

General - some of the preview texts seem really compressed into the middle of the screen, with not much vertical spacing between paragraphs. Each line can be up to 40 characters iirc.

Climber / Shimmier level - At some point, I think this should show the "climber hits head and turns around" behaviour. I realise this technically happens when they reach the chain, but it's not very visible what's going on there.
Builder / Platformer level - "If both skills build..." in the introduction text, I think "If either skill builds..." is more natural sounding here. Very minor detail.

Those points aside, seems pretty good so far!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 04:59:53 AM »
This is very good. The level aesthetics are excellent, the number of levels is good and the skills paired together make sense.

I noted some small issues with the intro texts as I was going along, so when I have time I'll look through them again and make a detailed post. I also think some of them (especially the first) may be too wordy and this may be a bit tricky for new players to take in all the information. It may be a good idea to think about what's really important to say and what can be left for the player to infer.

For the shorter texts, I think what you've done with splitting them up into a larger number of shorter lines is actually a good thing. The font used isn't very readable in long paragraphs, but having shorter lines helps make it a lot friendlier.

The only real playability issue I noticed is that in Level 5, you mention the 64-pixel splat height, but users won't be happy about counting pixels, so the splat ruler should really be introduced here. Indeed, it might be introduced on Level 4, since the player needs to know that the fall from the second snow platform is deadly.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
Thanks again for the feedback! :thumbsup:

V 0.03 is out!

- Swapped level 4 and 5 so that the intro text for the shimmier/climber level has the introduction to splat falls.
- Reworked the shimmier/climber level so that there is a clear situation where the climber hit their heads.
- Reworded the text in the builder/platformer level.
- Reworded the text in the nuke level, so that it specifically says double-click the nuke button.

General - some of the preview texts seem really compressed into the middle of the screen, with not much vertical spacing between paragraphs. Each line can be up to 40 characters iirc.

For the shorter texts, I think what you've done with splitting them up into a larger number of shorter lines is actually a good thing. The font used isn't very readable in long paragraphs, but having shorter lines helps make it a lot friendlier.

I am with Proxima here with the fact that shorter lines are better to read. It is also very hard to word the text in the level file without instant visualisation on how it will actually look. The texts often took longer to make than the level! :P

I noted some small issues with the intro texts as I was going along, so when I have time I'll look through them again and make a detailed post. I also think some of them (especially the first) may be too wordy and this may be a bit tricky for new players to take in all the information. It may be a good idea to think about what's really important to say and what can be left for the player to infer.

I tried to be as short as possible and I think the information there is nessesary to give. If you can compress the texts more though (and test if they can indeed be displayed in NL), write them in here and I can include them. I am not a very great writer and displaying information in as little words as possible can be very tricky.

, you mention the 64-pixel splat height, but users won't be happy about counting pixels, so the splat ruler should really be introduced here.

The exact splat ruler will have a dedicated level where there will be some close calls. But if you want I can now just say "they splat if they fall too high distances" and give the exact definition later in the splat ruler level. The cases here should be clear so that just a fall warning should be enough.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
Looks good so far! For the most part the skill combinations make sense, but there is one that I think could use a little reconsideration: walkers and cloners, in my opinion, didn't really demonstrate the behavior of either skill very well, which could result in the player having forgotten the information about each skill presented in the text by the time a level requests them to make use of it. Show, don't tell, after all.

Behaviors of cloners not demonstrated:
 - Skills (e.g. miners, builders) continue after use.
Behaviors of walkers not demonstrated:
 - Cancels skill in use.
 - Can be assigned to blockers.

I've attached replays.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:05:17 PM by Dullstar »