Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack  (Read 29384 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NeoLemmix Introduction Pack
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
V 0.05 is out! Please delete your old folder while updating as the old rank name won't be overwritten!

- Renamed "Interactables" to "Objects" (even if the rank also introduces steel ;P)

- 1 02 mentions skill shadows now

- A TON of rewritten/corrected texts.

- 2 01 removed a bit of the decoration.

- 2 09 swapped 2 teleporters

- 2 10 uses extended updrafts now

- 2 12 was reworked into a simpler version (original version will probably return in a later rank)

- 2 05 <--> 2 06

Level 5 "Set Your Priorities Right" - I suggest making the floater section a bit higher, because currently, floaters (whether the pre-assigned or the skill panel ones) aren't actually necessary here. Maybe this depends on exact positioning, but IMO it makes more sense for them to be always required.

I've decided against the certain splat-fall here for more simplicity, even if the floaters serve no other use other than demonstration as a result.

A nice second round of feedback would be nice after this patch as I could have easily forgotten something. :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »
V 0.06 is out!

- Changed the hotkey displaying inside the texts.

I attached an exp NL version that displays the actual user hotkeys inside the text. Let me know if your setup breaks any textlines!

Without the exp version some textlines will definitely not fit. ;)

The exp also includes the "preview texts don't show again after going to menu" fix and the "can middle-click on preview screen, to force viewing the preview text" change.

Warning: Make a backup for your settings and hotkeys files as there might be a problem with the exp changing that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:51:08 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
The line explaining Select Walker goes over the edge of the screen slightly, and in level 13 of the 2nd rank, the hotkey names are still hardcoded. I'm using the default hotkey setup with the "Traditional layout" option.

The new level for limited entrances / exits is much more suitable IMO! It still requires patience and careful thinking, but isn't overly complicated for a tutorial level. Also, the updrafts on the lab level look much nicer now too. ;)

Those are the only things that stood out to me on a quick look through the new version.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
I attached an exp NL version that displays the actual user hotkeys inside the text. Let me know if your setup breaks any textlines!

As expected, the line about the ten-second skip doesn't work for me; "No Hotkey Assigned" breaks the line completely. Everything else is fine.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »
V 0.07 is out!

- New level at 2 12 for explaining longer timeskips. Text there also mentions where to change hotkeys.

- Text at 2 06 has changed.

- Text at 2 11 has changed.

- Text at the new 2 14 has changed.

For any "No Hotkey Assigned" cases, I would push towards any chosen standard layout should assign these. :8():

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
If no more issues arise I will then soon continue with the "Basic Training" rank. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
Currently, I've got 16 levels for the "Basic Training" rank and I am considering to increase the aimed ammount of levels in there from 20 to 25 or even 30.

The ammount of trick/mechanic lessons in there stays the same, but a slightly larger rank has more room for just general levels to train so players get more of routine with handling lemmings.

What are your thoughts about this? ??? I think apart from the lessons levels a healthy bunch of general training levels can really help getting things across and let the player gather more experience.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think we will have lots of disagreement over what should be included in a "basic training" rank and what would be better to leave for the player to figure out for themselves :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think we will have lots of disagreement over what should be included in a "basic training" rank and what would be better to leave for the player to figure out for themselves :P

That is bound to happen, but I rather show a bit more than less as a general rule of thumb. ;P

Examples would be: Release methods from blocker traps, digger/stacker/stoner holding pits, different cloner interactions, walker cancelling (includes basher staircases for example), compression method, uneven steel, climber+shimmier....... But you will see. ;P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
V 0.08 is out!

The update introduces the "Basic Training" rank with 25 levels!

The single levels intend to teach the following topics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, I need some feedback again on where I screwed up some texts or maybe missed some things.

If this rank becomes somewhat stable again I will start creating the "Advanced Training" rank. Currently I plan to cover the following things there:

If you have more things that should be covered please post them here and I will consider them.

Changes to rank 2 will be made after the release of the next major NL version to cover anti-splat pads and neutral lemmings.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
Feedback for first 10 levels (click to show/hide)

I'll continue with this later.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 07:49:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I think there are a few misunderstandings though that the only tutorial levels here are the ones that introduce mechanics. The other ones are just training levels where the player should be on his own learing what works and what not and maybe re-apply already learned tricks.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:32:37 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »
Sorry - I meant "tutorial level" in the sense of that it's in a tutorial pack, more than anything focused on the individual levels themself. I should have clarified this.

Next few levels...

My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
Response:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
V 0.09 is out!

Following changes have been made based on namida's feedback:

- 3 05 Increased lem count from 80 to 100.
- 3 07 The builders are now pick-ups to give the player a clear hint.
- 3 09 Platforms expanded to decrease precision.
- 3 11 Hopefully blocked the loops with flamers.
- 3 13 Most of the skills are now pick-ups to greatly reduce entropy.
- 3 14 Moved a platform to decrease required precision.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:16:02 PM by IchoTolot »