Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings United [Difficulty: Hard-Extreme]  (Read 71476 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings United [Difficulty: Hard-Extreme]
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
Yeah your right, I see that now, It's just Icho made it sound like he doesn't have those anymore. He should have said "added on levels" instead of "replaced levels". But this is better then because now it can just be one neolemmix player. I just had to add Icho's 3 new replays for the new ones into his PM'd replays. He also PM'd me the 3 new ones. So now I have all 33 bonus replays in one bonus folder..

Also Thanks for letting me know this, I probably would have never known it (at least till I saw you post 3 old level replays). Then I would have caught on.

EDIT: I removed the 3 level bonus neolemmix player post as it isn't needed anymore.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:41:18 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2020, 04:17:25 PM »
V 11.9 is out!

Fixed backroutes thanks to kaywhyn's replays:

- 5 37 (added a OWW)
- 5 40 (added a OWW)

First of, if I'm removing/replacing levels I will specifically state it. "New Levels" in my terms always means that there are new levels put in these positions and any old levels are pushed a position ahead.

Comments:

Genocide 28 - It's All About the Pentiums!:

Nice to see the level having it's intended efeect now. ;)

Genocide 37 - Gate to the Inner Sanctum

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Genocide 38 - Legacy of Lemlab

Genocide 39 - Rise of the Harkonnen

This is a big surprise, as the other person blasting through it did not have many problems here as I recall.

Genocide 40 - Photo Finish

Yep, that's totally broken. :P

Genocide 41 - The Epitome

Congratulations on keeping on and coming this far! :thumbsup:

When you are through with everything + resolvings: I will request one final replay collection from you that should survive a mass replay check. If that's successful then you can claim your prize. ;)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »
Glad to see the birthday person enjoyed his present. Nice to see that only 4 resolves are needed left in Genocide: 21, 28, 37, and 40. Guess the next person who is brave enough to take on this pack who might struggle greatly can thank me for making many of the levels considerably harder as a result of backroutes being patched up :P

First of, if I'm removing/replacing levels I will specifically state it. "New Levels" in my terms always means that there are new levels put in these positions and any old levels are pushed a position ahead.

Yea, I figured that the levels in the Bonus rank were only shifted in their positions long before eric mistakenly thought 3 levels were missing. While I'm on the subject of the Bonus rank, I got to say I'm absolutely loving pretty much all the levels I've seen so far. Even though I have stated that I won't be making levels or level packs, I must say, in many ways the levels in the Bonus rank are really inspiring me to give level creation a try, so I might end up getting at least an entry in for the LDC #21 ;). Still a month left before the creation phase closes. Even if I miss the cutoff, for sure I will do the next LDC. Just thought I throw it out there that I will indeed give it a try. Even if my level(s) don't make it that far in the voting, I figured I have nothing to lose and as long as I have fun it's all good. Plus, it's all a learning process, so I might take some valuable lessons with me.

I'm just slightly past the halfway point of the rank as of last night. Once I'm done with the rank, I will go back and try to resolve the Genocide levels. Definitely getting harder again, but nowhere near as difficult as the main levels of the pack.

Comments:

Genocide 41 - The Epitome

I think this is where there is bias in my claim of Nightmare 30 being easier harder than Genocide 41. IMO, I always feel that levels that only use the classic 8 skills are considerably easier than those that don't. Indeed, that has what led me to say that Reunion is overall easier than United, and I think that's where we're in agreement. I guess a better way for me to state the difficulty of the final levels would be how they "felt." For me, Nightmare 30 did in a way feel harder than Genocide 41, perhaps because it wasn't as obvious where the skills needed to be used. Not to mention that I first beat Nightmare 30 on Lemmini, where there was a somewhat tight time limit as well, but at the same time I did a lot of multitasking on it, and so time wasn't an issue. Also it's an unpatched version, so that kind of made it easier, with how I managed to glitch my way through it. The NL version should be much harder, but it's going to remain untouched for a while, since I don't have plans to take on Reunion for NL for a long time, having already beaten it for Lemmini a few years back.

Then again, the only skill that is exclusive to NL in Genocide 41 is the glider and it can just be thought of as a floater variant in terms of the direction of gliding and how it interacts with updrafts. In contrast, I didn't have to multitask in Genocide 41, and it does in a way overall feel easier just because there's only 6 skills provided instead of 8. Also, the only destructive skills you have are diggers and mostly bashers and it's much more obvious where the skills go. Also, other than the bottom areas being the most difficult parts, I did state that I didn't think Genocide 41 was that difficult, so I'm in agreement that it's not the hardest level in the pack by a long shot. There are much harder levels, including the current version of Genocide 28 and 37, but the latter isn't too difficult TBT.

Congratulations on keeping on and coming this far! :thumbsup:

When you are through with everything + resolvings: I will request one final replay collection from you that should survive a mass replay check. If that's successful then you can claim your prize. ;)

Thanks a bunch, Icho! :) Of course, I will have to abide by your terms before getting the prize, and that includes sending replays of all levels, including the Bonus rank. You have my word that I will do my part. In the same way that I assure you that in my quest to complete the pack, I have solved every level in United without looking up replays. Again, I'm one of those people who prefers the satisfaction of solving and figuring out levels on my own. Only once that happens, then I view replays as a way for me to compare solutions.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:18:41 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2020, 08:45:56 AM »
It has now officially been a year since I first took on United. Coincidentally, I've reached the very final level of the pack, meaning I'm on the the last level of the Bonus rank, several hours ago. 205 main levels, plus 33 bonus levels, and so I'm on the 238th and final level of the pack. Just in time to mark the day I started United exactly a year ago today. I wonder how that happened? At the same time, I wouldn't be anywhere near this far right now if I wasn't out of work due to the pandemic. If I had worked the last several months, I probably would only be in the War rank around this time

So far, it's still a no solve, but I think I have an idea of what needs to happen. I just don't know if the trick required is one I've used and seen before. As a matter of fact, I have a strong suspicion that I used it on the old version of Genocide 21. The hardest part, of course, is the very start. In any case, since the skillset is really small, it probably won't take long to hit upon the trick if it's one I haven't seen yet. Technically, I still have about 21 hours to solve the level before it's officially a year. According to the time stamp of my Pacifism 1 replay, it's stamped around 9:30PM, and it's 1:35AM here where I am. Needless to say, I started playing United on this very day last year, September 7, 2019, and now today is September 7, 2020.

When I do manage to solve Bonus 33, the next time I will post my feedback on the rank. Then, all that's left for me to do is go back and resolve the new versions of 4 levels in the Genocide rank. Once I succeed in doing that, then I'll officially be done and can send my entire United replay collection, including the Bonus rank. Given that it's only 4 levels I need to resolve, it probably won't take too long, but I suspect that Genocide 21 and Genocide 28 will take the longest, since they now seem to be the most difficult for me. However, that remains to be seen.   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2020, 04:17:50 PM »
It has now officially been a year since I first took on United. Coincidentally, I've reached the very final level of the pack, meaning I'm on the the last level of the Bonus rank, several hours ago. 205 main levels, plus 33 bonus levels, and so I'm on the 238th and final level of the pack. Just in time to mark the day I started United exactly a year ago today. I wonder how that happened? At the same time, I wouldn't be anywhere near this far right now if I wasn't out of work due to the pandemic. If I had worked the last several months, I probably would only be in the War rank around this time

So far, it's still a no solve, but I think I have an idea of what needs to happen. I just don't know if the trick required is one I've used and seen before. As a matter of fact, I have a strong suspicion that I used it on the old version of Genocide 21. The hardest part, of course, is the very start. In any case, since the skillset is really small, it probably won't take long to hit upon the trick if it's one I haven't seen yet. Technically, I still have about 21 hours to solve the level before it's officially a year. According to the time stamp of my Pacifism 1 replay, it's stamped around 9:30PM, and it's 1:35AM here where I am. Needless to say, I started playing United on this very day last year, September 7, 2019, and now today is September 7, 2020.

When I do manage to solve Bonus 33, the next time I will post my feedback on the rank. Then, all that's left for me to do is go back and resolve the new versions of 4 levels in the Genocide rank. Once I succeed in doing that, then I'll officially be done and can send my entire United replay collection, including the Bonus rank. Given that it's only 4 levels I need to resolve, it probably won't take too long, but I suspect that Genocide 21 and Genocide 28 will take the longest, since they now seem to be the most difficult for me. However, that remains to be seen.   

Well, happy solving anniversary! :birthday:  :XD:

Good luck on the last stretch. :thumbsup:

Bonus 33 has a certain trick in it that josh has used to backroute Genocide 21 in the past. It's clear but precise. Let's see if you can figure it out. ;P     

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »
And, Bonus 33 solved! Took me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I finally did it. Thus, the Bonus rank is finally all solved and therefore I finally have completed all of United! :)  My thoughts on the Bonus rank:

Overall, for the most part I really loved many of these levels. The levels were quite impressive and a huge relief from all the mind-blowing difficult levels from the earlier ranks and not as stressful. At least for the first third they were like that, as I breezed through the first 11 levels with little to no problems. In that batch, Overarmed and Underarmed was probably my most favorite in terms of what's required in the solution. In particular,

Bonus 3 - Burning Ships looks quite decent, but it is agonizingly slow, to the point that fast forward isn't that much faster at all. However, thanks for making the level really easy and quite open-ended due to the large skillset. Also,

Starting with Bonus 12, the difficulty started picking up considerably and stayed quite difficult for the rest of the rank. Bonus 12 - 2 Minutes Before the Mall Opens was the first level to give me problems. In the end, after I solved the level, I viewed your replay on Youtube, and it turns out that my solution is considerably more difficult to execute, as there's a lot of pixel precision in my solution AND I don't even go through the bottom left to disarm the traps. You'll see what I mean when I send my entire United replay collection after I go back and resolve the new versions of the 4 Genocide levels first.

The rest of the rank from Bonus 12 onwards managed to give me problems in some way. In the remaining batch, Bonus 13 - The Drunken Knights of Clausthal and Bonus 19 - Not a Bitter Timing Effort were the easiest ones for me. Also in the batch, Bonus 17 - Xeno Menace was probably my most favorite level. I thought the entire solution is quite clever. In particular,

I remember Bonus 24 - T=0K from Wafflem's pack, and I was considering to use my replay for it rather than play through it again, but I decided to rise to the challenge and find an alternative solution. So, I now have two different replays for the level, one for Old Formats NL and one for the most current New Formats NL.

Surprisingly, Bonus 14 - Welcome to the Spider Dance gave me problems, but that's because

While Bonus 20 - Lemmings in Unison looks very daunting and turns out to not be really difficult, I couldn't formulate the solution correctly in my thought process. Hence I resorted to

Bonus 25 - Spires of Mire and all the levels after were all hard in their own way. Bonus 25 is visually quite appealing. However, this level also surprisingly gave me a lot of problems. For a long time, I kept thinking

Sorry to say it, but I wasn't too much of a fan of Bonus 26 - Soilworker's Song of the Damned. It was just too fiddly for my taste and all the nuances of the many gaps present in the level. Still, I thought it was pretty cool you made a level out of your forum avatar. At the same time, I was quite amazed at how many different solutions there are for this level. Mine turns out to be very different from all the other solutions you showcased on Youtube, so I guess consider my solution a 5th one.

Bonus 27 - Button Mashing for Experts was a pretty good level that managed to cause me problems. In particular,

In the batch of the final 9 levels of the rank, I say the hardest for me were Bonus 28 and Bonus 29, Laboratory D-E-S-C-E-N-T and Laboratory A-S-C-E-N-T, respectively. In particular, the latter was way more difficult. In the end, my solutions to both levels is way different from yours in that I managed to make them way more complicated than they needed to be. Regarding my solutions,

Bonus 30 - Apocalypse Maintenant was an oopsie on my part in that while searching the forums with the level title in the search box, there was one post you made in that you revealed that

Regarding Bonus 31 - Catacomb of Sorrow and Bonus 32 - Shadows of Ourselves, your two levels in the LDC #17, I thought the latter was the way more difficult one. Sure, the former also gave me problems, but I managed to solve that one much quicker. Solving time for 31 was about 20 minutes, while for Bonus 32 I think it was close to an hour or even an hour and a half. 32 is the very first level I have ever played with this tileset, but I got to say i'm not much of a fan of this tileset at all. However, I got to say that I love the solution to 32 way more. In particular,

Outside of the NL Tutorial Pack, Bonus 15 - Switcheroo is the very first level I have played in any pack that has shimmiers. However, I got to say that I learned some pretty good shimmier tricks while playing the levels that have them. While I do use the shimmiers in the solution for Bonus 15 (I can't imagine any solution that doesn't), I use them very differently from your replay. You'll see what I mean when I send the replay after I go back and resolve the new versions of the 4 Genocide levels first. Also, Bonus 18 - Stackenblochen did give me some problems, but I got to say I felt quite proud for

For Bonus 22 - Time for Strongarm Tactics!, this was a really good level, but my solution is also completely different from yours.

Finally, while Bonus 33 - Renaissance of Ideas isn't the hardest of the levels in the rank, I guess it's a fine level to close out the rank AND the United pack. In any case, as I said before the hardest part is the very start. Before I finally figured out the trick needed, I had the rest of the level figured out very easily, so I was simply missing the part on the left side.

I have mentioned in an earlier post that so many of the levels in this rank are really inspiring and motivating me to give level creation a try, something I have said over and over that I wouldn't ever do because I'm quite certain I'm no good at it. However, the thing is I won't know if I truly am not good at it unless I try. So, I guess I have Icho's Bonus rank to thank for this ;) I haven't done anything yet, but for sure I will soon.

All 238 levels solved and hence concludes a really wonderful pack! Fun fact for the others: I started solving this pack on this very day last year. Today, I managed to finally finish solving all of United on the 1 year mark exactly. Seriously, how did this happen? I wasn't even planning for this to happen. I guess it makes this all the more significant in that it shall be remembered by me that it took me exactly a year to solve all of United and that I started and finished the pack on September 7, 2019 and September 7, 2020, respectively. And on Labor Day here in the USA!

However, my task is nearly complete. All that's left for me to do is to go back and resolve the new versions of 4 Genocide levels. However, as I'm completely burnt out by the pack, I'm going to take a couple of days break before coming back to resolve them. Since it's only 4 levels, it probably won't take too long, but that remains to be seen. Probably will only take about a week or two, but so far I think Genocide 21 and 28 will take me the longest, as they both seem to be too hard for me. Speaking of which, now that I know the trick required as well as the solution for Bonus 33 and did something a bit similar on Genocide 21 at various points in the old version, I wonder if I  can use this to my advantage to resolve the new version. Then again, I think Icho might had already blocked that trick on the level since he did say that "josh used the trick to backroute the level," so maybe not.

Once that's done and if I'm successful, then I will send my entire United replay collection to Icho. Then I can claim his prize. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:45:24 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
It has now officially been a year since I first took on United. Coincidentally, I've reached the very final level of the pack, meaning I'm on the the last level of the Bonus rank, several hours ago. 205 main levels, plus 33 bonus levels, and so I'm on the 238th and final level of the pack. Just in time to mark the day I started United exactly a year ago today. I wonder how that happened?

Wow 1 year on a pack. Now I know why Uberwolfie stated United is for a madman. Anyways again congrats And yes I see that your stressed out on it. I think you may be one of few people to be
so dedicated on it though. And I know you did Icho a really big favor in playing it, especially the last 2 ranks, because they have mostly been untested for backroutes, as he was constantly
updating his pack by using your replays. It would be nice if once you resolve the 4 remaining Genocide levels, and send your replays to Icho and he is satisfied with your replays(also using
Mass replay checks), he would send you some kind of prize(not sure what though).

Anyways I think you deserve a big break after doing that pack.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:02:51 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2020, 12:20:15 AM »
Wow 1 year on a pack. Now I know why Uberwolfie stated United is for a madman. Anyways again congrats And yes I see that your stressed out on it. I think you may be one of few people to be
so dedicated on it though. And I know you did Icho a really big favor in playing it, especially the last 2 ranks, because they have mostly been untested for backroutes, as he was constantly
updating his pack by using your replays.

Thanks again for your kind words, eric. I have PMed you my replays for United except for the 4 Genocide levels I need to resolve. I will send Icho all my replays once I am successful in resolving those 4 levels.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2020, 07:48:10 AM »
Congratulation for your achievement! :thumbsup:
Also glad to hear that you are considering submitting some levels to LDC.
That will certainly be something to look forward to. :thumbsup:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2020, 08:16:11 AM »
Congratulation for your achievement! :thumbsup:
Also glad to hear that you are considering submitting some levels to LDC.
That will certainly be something to look forward to. :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch, Armani! :) Regarding the current LDC, I haven't started anything, although given there's about 3 weeks remaining it'll most likely be rushed at this point. However, I'm not going to really stress if I can't get anything in before the submission deadline. If I miss the cutoff point, then next LDC for sure. At least that way there will be several months before the next one and I won't feel as rushed and pressured and my resulting levels being super crappy. :crylaugh:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »
And, Bonus 33 solved! Took me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I finally did it. Thus, the Bonus rank is finally all solved and therefore I finally have completed all of United!

Congratulations!:thumbsup:   This is already an accomplishment even if there are still a few backroutes left. :)   I also encourage you to give the level creation side a try!

I have 1 request though:  Could you send me the bonus replays now, as I see from the comments that there are probably a few backroutes in there that I want to fix and the prize is given out after all your solutions are not considered to be backroutes anyway.
This way I can fix them now and when you're refreshed and resolving the remaining levels you can also resolve the backrouted bonus levels in a single swoop. ;)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
Per your request, here are my Bonus rank replays.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
And, Bonus 33 solved! Took me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I finally did it. Thus, the Bonus rank is finally all solved and therefore I finally have completed all of United!

Congratulations!:thumbsup:   This is already an accomplishment even if there are still a few backroutes left. :)   I also encourage you to give the level creation side a try!

That's what I want to hear; the creator recognising Kaywhyn's success and sending his congratulations!

Anyway, good job, Kaywhyn. You deserve a good long relax.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »
That's what I want to hear; the creator recognising Kaywhyn's success and sending his congratulations!

Anyway, good job, Kaywhyn. You deserve a good long relax.

Thanks a bunch, Minim! :) I think it's clear that you and many of the other long time members have also been following my quest on beating all of United for the past several months. It was definitely a long and difficult journey, but I finally did it. All without viewing any solutions, too. Well, at least not before I have solved the level myself first. I only watch after I beat the level to compare my solution to others.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »
V 12.0 is out!

Fixed backroutes thanks to kaywhyn's replays:

- 6 12 (added some steel and fire)
- 6 20 (the blockers are now pick-ups)
- 6 22 (the diggers are now pick-ups)

Comments:

Yeah those 3 levels were quite butchered. :P  Hopefully this fixes them, the rest I consider as either intended or acceptable. In some cases where you already suspected it you really made your life harder than it needed to be. ;)

Bonus 3 - Burning Ships

This level was made in collaboration with Simon where we took the output of the Mandelbrot-Set and made it into a level.

Overarmed and Underarmed

This was a collaboration with SQron188 and möbius. It seems it resulted in a very good level. ;)

Bonus 25 - Spires of Mire

Another collaboration effort. Also, an alternative shorter version of the level resulted from this project. Flopsy took an earlier, easier alteration and made it it's own level, it should be in SEBlems.