Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings United [Difficulty: Hard-Extreme]  (Read 71882 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings United [Difficulty: Hard-Extreme]
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
From the complexity side it isn't a backroute - complexity isn't the sole criterium though - it still avoids central tricks and I don't want people to get sucked into this extreme timing idea. That's the main intention of the fix. :)

Anyway, I think the solution is a tiny bit clearer now. ;)

Yes, I was just thinking about how it misses the central tricks that you wanted to enforce that resulted in you changing the level. At the same time, the execution madness in my replay could also be said to be completely unintentional. Now that there's way less options available at each stage, it does seem a bit clearer on what needs to go where. We shall see when I actually try it and I report back with more replays.

A backroute is a solution that's more like bypassing the puzzle than engaging with it (which is of course subjective).

There can be unintended solutions that are desirable to fix for other reasons than being backroutes.

I think regardless of what was intended I think it also depends on the person. If I had made the level instead, I personally would had left the level alone if someone ever sent a replay like mine just because it's so very difficult, regardless of whether the central tricks were missed or not. Nevertheless, it goes without saying that I still have a lot to learn from a level designing/fixing levels to block off certain solutions perspective. I most likely won't ever get into level designing myself, but I may still occasionally give it a go just to see what I can or can't do. I have stated that I'm not so good at creating puzzles, but the thing is I won't know if I truly am not so good at it unless I try myself, right? Good thing for the available tutorials to help in getting started with this.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:46:48 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2020, 09:24:19 AM »
Back with a bunch of replays this time. Here are my replay solutions for Genocide 23 through 31. I haven't taken a look at Genocide 21 and resolved it yet, so I'll probably send that one with my next batch of replays. In this batch, I didn't think any of these were very difficult, as I was able to conjure up the solutions somewhat quickly, but as usual the common problem I ran into while solving most of these levels was that I kept thinking I was a skill short and hence some of them took me a bit longer than it needed to.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save for Genocide 21 which I still need to resolve, finally in the home stretch. 10 main levels left in the pack! Also, besides the aforementioned level, the levels in the 20s weren't too difficult. Most likely this will change with the levels in the 30s, as I know there's still some really difficult ones ahead. Nevertheless, I'm super stoked that I'm near the very end of the main pack. I must say, the fact that I've been on a roll in solving several levels the last few days kind of brought back and boosted my confidence in getting through the rest of the pack, despite the constant fears I previously kept having about the Genocide rank being too hard for me to handle. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:12:01 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2020, 10:58:40 AM »
V 11.7 is out!

Fixed backroutes thanks to kaywhyn's replays:

- 5 24 (added a trap)
- 5 26 (6 builders are now a pick-up skill)
- 5 28 (added some steel)
- 5 30 (added 2 OWWs)
- 5 31 (added some terrain)

New levels:

- 6 15
- 6 18
- 6 22

Comments:

A lot of backroutes this time and the most glaring one is 5 28 by far. I think that's the main reason you passed some major roadblock levels quite easily.

- 5 23 is a totally acceptable solution.
- 5 24 is not a total backroute but it's off far enough that a fix is needed.
- 5 25 is intended.
- 5 26 is very far off and does not even use all areas of the level.
- 5 27 is an acceptable alternative.
- 5 28 I would even consider one of the biggest backroutes yet. It totally missed all intended tricks.
- 5 29 is again an acceptable one.
- 5 30 is too far off the intended route so a fix is needed.
- 5 31 totally bypasses central tricks again.

Also, besides the aforementioned level, the levels in the 20s weren't too difficult.

Yeah, I have a feeling this statement will not stand after all the fixes are working. Especially for 5 28 and maybe 5 31. ;)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2020, 03:11:21 PM »
Hi Icho, I redownloaded your link on page one that says 11.7. but those levels listed that you changed for Kaywhyn's replays still doesn't show changes in the levels and Kaywhyn's replays still work. Are you sure you put the new version in the link?

I always like to have the newest version as I want to have any backroutes that you fixed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2020, 04:17:03 PM »
Confirmed. Nothing has changed (no orange checkmarks next to the levels that you said have changed), yet the OP says that it was last modified today at 3:49AM (my time zone). Looks to be that you didn't upload the right version.

V 11.7 is out!

- 5 24 (added a trap)
- 5 26 (6 builders are now a pick-up skill)
- 5 30 (added 2 OWWs)
- 5 31 (added some terrain)

Interesting. All the even-numbered levels, plus 5 31, in this batch were backroutes.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:23:20 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »
I am a bidg dummy----I've packed the new zip file, but I think actually uploading it to my dropbox would be advantageous! :XD:

It should be fixed now! :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
Yes, got the changes to the affected levels now. Thanks for being prompt with it. Back to resolving levels and solving the rest of the pack I go.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2020, 05:26:09 PM »
hi Icho, oh and you changed bonus level 15,18,22. So now i'm missing those replays. If you want can p.m those 3 levels so I have your update bonus levels replays.

Yes and your 11.7 is now there, und Vielen Dank

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »
I have officially completed 200/205 United levels! :) Thus, I'm in the home stretch and down to the final 5 levels of Genocide. With some logic, you can deduce that I'm currently on Genocide 37 Gate to the Inner Sanctum, supposedly the hardest level in the entire pack. I haven't attempted it enough for the level to really make me sweat yet, but with the few attempts I have had at it, I know that the biggest problem is conserving builders as much as possible.

To celebrate this achievement, bunch of replays incoming for your viewing pleasure and to see if the solutions are intended or not. Here are Genocide 32 through 36, as well as Genocide 24, 26, 28, 30, and 31 resolved, and my very best attempt at the new version of Genocide 21, so I haven't been able to resolve it yet after spending a few hours with it tonight.

Regarding resolved levels, as well as an explanation for Genocide 21, these all seem intended now or at least acceptable except for Genocide 28 and 31.

Now the new replays, Genocide 32 through 36.

Man, 5 main levels remaining, plus any that I might need to resolve depending on your feedback. To think I wouldn't ever get to this point or even this far in the pack.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
V 11.8 is out!

Comments:

Genocide 21 - I am the End of Fortune!

Genocide 24 - Delight and Angers

That's totally accepted territory now!

Genocide 26 - Laughs of Insanity

Your assumption is totally correct. :)

Genocide 28 - It's All About Pentiums!

Closer, but still far away. I had the fix already implemented last time, but decided it was overkill and removed it. Let's see if it stops your backrouting now. ;P

Genocide 30 - Trump This Tower!

Totally acceptable!

Genocide 31 - Sanctuary in Dying Light

Yeah, you found a way to save a basher and I will accept that. The intended trick is present now.

32-35 are all totally intended! :thumbsup:

Genocide 36 - Earth Below Us,... Drifting Away

This one is intended to have many viable solutions - as long as you don't have too heavy shortcuts. Therefore fiddlyness and other factors vary as well.

So that leaves 5 more levels + resolves + bonus rank remaining. ;)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »
Just posting to confirm/verify that I have updated to the newest version of the pack and that I visually see the change in Genocide 28 ;) Glad to hear there's only one backroute this time out of the 10 that I was able to solve/resolve and that we're getting very close to a backroute free Genocide rank ;P It's been an honor helping you eliminate them in all of the pack. :)

Genocide 21 - I am the End of Fortune!

I had a feeling I was still very far off. All rightie, let's see if this will steer me better towards a working solution. I can do this... I hope! :D

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2020, 01:20:17 AM »
And, the Genocide rank has fallen! Took me much longer than I thought it would, but all 205 main levels completed. Since today is your 29th birthday (at least here in the west coast USA it is, but in your hometown it's already Monday), my present for you is this: The remaining Genocide replays, 37-41. 38-41 are in the same rar file, while I have attached two solutions for Genocide 37 as separate files. Compared to the first half, the second half of Genocide wasn't too bad, although it certainly slowed my progress considerably. Truthfully, except for Genocide 40 (see level feedback), I thought the final 5 levels of the rank were all difficult.

I still need to go back and resolve Genocide 21 and 28, but I have officially completed all the Genocide levels at least once, and I wanted to at least see and solve the remaining levels of the pack, as I was very close to the end. Of course, I also know you're on vacation in your hometown, so you probably won't be able to view them until you return from vacation. No rush! Just enjoy your little vacay and birthday.

Regarding Genocide 21 and 28:

Now the new replays.

Overall, excellent job with the pack, Icho! Upon completing the final level of the main pack, I immediately felt a huge sense of relief, accomplishment, and satisfaction. Reflecting back, I'm seriously still in huge disbelief that I made it to the very end. To think I initially was fearful of the Genocide rank when I started the rank almost two months ago and thought the pack would eventually beat me at some point, I persevered and made it to the very end. Now at least I don't have to worry about the main pack being too hard for me to finish. Yes, it is one of the most difficult packs I have ever played, but United is now officially the largest pack I have ever completed, even with the Bonus rank untouched. Prior to this, the largest pack I have completed was Strato's Lemmicks at 170 levels, but before this, interestingly enough, your Reunion pack was the largest I completed at 150 levels. Well, technically it's supposed to be Revenge of the Lemmings, but because I haven't completed it yet (I'm currently stuck at Bonus 25, and have been for 3 years!), I can't say that it's the largest pack I have finished. So, the title of biggest pack I have completed goes to United instead.

Enjoy your birthday present whenever you get around to viewing the replays. In the meantime, I will be taking on the Bonus rank and once that is done, I will likely go back and resolve Genocide 21 and 28. Or, which I think is more likely, once I finish the Bonus rank I will send all of my replays for the pack, just to see how many levels need to be resolved in addition to Genocide 21 and 28.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:02:23 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2020, 06:04:37 AM »
Congrats on finishing United, hopefully there won't be many(if any) updated versions. Now when you get done with the bonus rank, you can go back to Genocide 21 and 28 and try to solve.
I really want Icho to have a final version of United so I can say this is another pack that I have all the replays for (Not only Icho's but other ones too)

And yes I wished Icho a happy birthday last night about 10pm our time so when he responded it was his birthday. He said he had a couple of beers with his friends and a nice BBQ.

Germany is famous for Oktoberfest(beer Fest and singing and dancing). Fortunatly I got to experience Oktoberfest in Munich in 2011. Now I just need to experience the German Christmas
markets(not sure when due to Corona)

Anyways I always keep on eye out for your United replays and I keep yours too once Icho approves them. Once he approves your replay of a level, that's when I turn it green.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2020, 07:21:43 AM »
1/3 of the bonus rank completed already! 11 levels completed all in about 3 hours too! ;) With what I've seen so far, it's been a huge relief playing much easier levels again after all the hair pulling, mind-bending difficult Genocide levels. So, with how I already have only 22 levels in the rank left, it appears that I might finish the rank in about a day or two.

Congrats on finishing United,

Hey eric, thank you for your congratulations. It might had taken me a really long time (almost a year, as a matter of fact!), but I did it. Truthfully, I'm still shocked I even managed to complete the pack. All without peaking at hints or replays before I've solved them on my own, too! That I managed to beat one of the most difficult level packs there is in existence, it's almost too good to be true. I seriously thought United would eventually become too hard for me and beat me at some point along the way, but I managed to make it through to the end. There's another pack I'm going to try and go back to complete as well, and that is Nepsterlems (currently on the 4th rank of 6). It is also a very hard pack, probably not quite as up there with United, but it's still really hard. Of course, you're more than welcome to get my replays for this pack when I get around to it.

Now when you get done with the bonus rank, you can go back to Genocide 21 and 28 and try to solve.

Let's just say that I'm quite burned out with the extremely hair-pulling and mind bending difficult Genocide levels for the time being and that as a reward for beating the main part of United I'm playing through the Bonus rank as a way to de-stress and recollect myself.

Anyways I always keep on eye out for your United replays and I keep yours too once Icho approves them. Once he approves your replay of a level, that's when I turn it green.

Yes, you're more than welcome to collect my replays for any of the packs I play. Just look out for my feedback posts on the level pack topics. Perhaps while that is going on, I will occasionally help you with solving levels and providing you replays you need for any Superlemmini conversion projects you might be doing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:28:09 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2020, 05:29:08 PM »
Hey eric, I appreciate the time you took to make a separate NL player. Unfortunately, it's all for naught. I just checked the Bonus rank in the current United version, and it turns out that the 3 levels in your attachment are already in the pack. This is what Icho's post meant.

V 11.7 is out!

New levels:

- 6 15
- 6 18
- 6 22

Thus, it appears that it was a misunderstanding. His update simply means that 3 more levels got added to the Bonus rank in addition to the ones that were already in there, not replace 3 of the levels in the rank. That's why there's now 33 levels in the rank, compared to the last time, when there was 30. The three levels moved down by at least 1 position as a result. They didn't get replaced. Moreover, this also means that my searching around the forums for them won't be necessary. Good thing, because I haven't done any searching around for them, and I won't have to anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:37:55 PM by kaywhyn »