Author Topic: [New Formats] Custom Lemmings Sprites (New: Egyptian Lemmings by Strato)  (Read 18046 times)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Hi! :)

I've been working on some custom lemming sprites for fun. I'm planning on making some more and will update this thread accordingly, but anyone is welcome to contribute as well!

L2 Shadow Lemmings

We have the tileset, now you have the night crawlers themselves for NeoLemmix!

L2 Highland Lemmings

We have the tileset, now you have the highlanders themselves for NeoLemmix!

How To Use

1) Extract the "lemmings" folder

2) Place this extracted folder in the appropriate style folder located in the main "styles" folder (but really you can use them in any graphic set you want)

3) In the "theme.nxtm" file of your chosen style change "LEMMINGS default" on the top to "LEMMINGS <style that contains the lemmings folder>" For example: if I download "l2-shadow-lemmings" and put them into "l2_shadow" style folder then my theme.nxtm file will say: "LEMMINGS l2_shadow"

4) Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:55:00 PM by Nessy »

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: [New Formats] Custom Lemmings Sprites (New: L2 Shadow Lemmings)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »
New: L2 Shadow Lemmings

You can now use the night crawling, ninja-like lemmings from the L2 Shadow Tribe in NeoLemmix! See the original post for downloads, previews, and instructions.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
As I stated in IRC:

If an additional sprite for the athlete is covered as well for these in the future, I vote gladly for them both to even become standard! :thumbsup:

One small disadvantage is that all traps and objects have normal lems in their animations, but zombies have the same problem and because of tileset mixing it's pretty impossible to always have the right colored animation for the Lemming, unless they are all standard. But this is just a very small thing and doesn't bother me that much, as animations are mostly very short anyway.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
If an additional sprite for the athlete is covered as well for these in the future...

Done :)

Thanks to Nepster for fixing this bug in NeoLemmix V12... all custom sprites now recolor when you hover over them, when they are zombies, and when they are an athlete. The original post has been updated.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: [New Formats] Custom Lemmings Sprites (New: L2 Highland Lemmings)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:47:55 AM »
New: L2 Highland Lemmings

You can now use the brave highlanders from the L2 Highland Tribe in NeoLemmix! See the original post for downloads, previews, and instructions.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: [New Formats] Custom Lemmings Sprites (New: L2 Highland Lemmings)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »
You're really busting them out, aren't you? :)

These are starting to become an incentive to switch to the New Formats version. I am still going to create my next regular pack - Lemmings World Tour - for Old Formats, due to some levels relying on radiation or fake objects, the latter mainly for decoration. (For example, since you mentioned it, I used loads of fake Highland hatches to put barrels into the hold of a ship.) Also because I have created an Old Formats tileset in the meantime which hasn't been completely finished yet, and I would have to convert it to New Formats first for these levels to work.

But there will probably be a New Formats version of that pack, too, eventually - once it has enough distinct features to create New Formats-specific levels as replacements for those using radiation. In other words: Once we have at least got the Shimmier, I can start designing those :) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Egyptian Lemmings
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »
As a proud Lemminist, I really thought this game needed more "diversity" *, so I made some Egyptian Lemmings ;) ... Probably Nubians, more specifically.

The Zombies have a blue-ish grey skin colour, so that they look more like mummies; the traditional grey was too indistinguishable from the regular lemmings in this tribe, at least to my liking.

Put these into L2 Egyptian, L3 Egyptian, and anywhere else you'd like to use them!

Funnily enough, when these lemmings become athletes, they look pretty akin to the "Acid Lemmings" from Lemmings Revolution.

Speaking of it, I am also considering to create the "Water Lemmings" (white shirts, light-blue hair) from Lemmings Revolution. The question here is:

1) Should their regular appearance be that of Lemmings Revolution Water Lemmings? That means if they're to become swimmers (or any other athlete), they'd have light-blue shirts and white hair.
2) Should their regular appearance be "light blue shirts and white hair", so that they look like Lemmings Revolution Water Lemmings when they are swimmers?

*I actually find this concept pretty ridiculous, but I wanted to create some Egyptian Lemmings nevertheless... :evil:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:15:01 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
These Egyptian Lemmings look neat... and mysterious :thumbsup:

I think the only feedback I have is that while I like the mummy appearance of the regular Lemmings, the Zombie Lemmings actually look too "normal" let's say that I easily confused the two of them for a moment. Doesn't bother me though.

In regards to the "Water Lemmings" Colorful Arty has already made those types of lemming sprites for his Underwater tileset :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Thanks, Nessy! It is in fact supposed to be the other way round: The regular lemmings simply have darker skin; the zombies are the ones who look like mummies (i.e. pale).

The Underwater tileset was the one I would have suggested pairing the Water Lemmings with anyway, so thanks for informing me! ;) Less work for me then! :D
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Wow, good thing I uploaded these before my hard drive crash, otherwise they would have been gone indeed! :D I mean, this didn't take too much time, compared to the creation of my levels, all of which I could restore fortunately. But still, it would have been annoying to recreate them from scratch, or using my own PNG image to get the exact colour codes! :D

Well, anyway, now I'm back with a new SSD installed, so... does anyone have ideas for how to treat the other L2 tribes?

As far as I remember, the Beach lemmings only had a slight tan (or they were supposed to be sunburnt :D ), meaning more peach skin than completely white.

The Polar lemmings had light-blue / grey-ish hair, and dark-blue shirts.

And then there's also the enemy lemmings from Lemmings Paintball, of course, meaning red pants and standard green hair.
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: [New Formats] Custom Lemmings Sprites (New: Beach Lemmings by Strato)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
Summer is over, and these Beach lemmings spent some good deal of time in the sun :evil: :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried to get as close as possible to the original skin tone from Lemmings 2: The Tribes; sadly, I don't know how to make my old Photoshop 7.0 replace a colour with a specific colour I've selected before. I can only alter Hue and Saturation, i.e. relative to the current colour (not enter specific RGB values, which would be absolute), while having the extracted colour as my selected colour, and then doing a visual comparison.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:15:19 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: [New Formats] Custom Lemmings Sprites (New: Egyptian Lemmings by Strato)
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
I've updated both my Egyptian and my Beach lemmings sprites to include Nepster's and Raymanni's newly introduced Shimmiers! :D (See the respective posts above.) I also fixed the Beach splatter in the process, that animation was still lacking the tan for some reason.

For simplicity's sake, I've uploaded the entire styles folder for Beach and Egyptian, so that the modified theme- and scheme files are also included. Just drop these into your overarching styles folder and they should work! :)
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
@Nessy: Just wanted to ask, have you had the time to update the Highland-, Shadow-, and Machine lemmings to include the shimmier yet? ;) By that I mean "take Raymanni's sprites and apply the same colour scheme to them which you applied to all the other skill sprites".

Because since I have the version with the Shimmier installed, I'm currently facing the problem that whenever I encounter a level by any creator in any pack that happens to contain Highland-, Shadow-, or Machine lemmings, I can't play that level because the Reacher (and of course also the Shimmier) animation can't be found.

The only way around this is to reset the lemmings sprites for that particular style to default (or any other sprites such as my Beach or Egyptian lemmings which already contain the shimmier).

In short: The Highland-, Shadow-, and Machine sprites aren't usable as of now for anyone who has the Shimmier version of NeoLemmix installed. (Even if the level doesn't actually contain any Shimmiers; the game file seems to look for all skill sprites beforehand and prevents you from playing if any of those skills, used or unused in a given level, is missing.)

Can you help out there?

I would happily do the addition of the Shimmier sprites to those three tribes myself; however, I recoloured my sprite mods with the "replace colour"-feature in Photoshop, which only works relative to the current colour through changes in Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. Meaning I can't simply enter certain RBG values that I selected with a colour-picker tool from e.g. one of the Highland sprites. I could only manually "fill out" the single pixels with a selected RBG colour - not only would this be tedious to do, though, but also, Photoshop then usually colours in the surrounding pixels in a lighter shade of that colour (=with reduced opacity), so that I'd actually end up filling out more pixels than intended, thereby making the Lemmings larger and out of shape.
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I would happily do the addition of the Shimmier sprites to those three tribes myself; however, I recoloured my sprite mods with the "replace colour"-feature in Photoshop, which only works relative to the current colour through changes in Hue, Saturation, and Brightness. Meaning I can't simply enter certain RBG values that I selected with a colour-picker tool from e.g. one of the Highland sprites. I could only manually "fill out" the single pixels with a selected RBG colour - not only would this be tedious to do, though, but also, Photoshop then usually colours in the surrounding pixels in a lighter shade of that colour (=with reduced opacity), so that I'd actually end up filling out more pixels than intended, thereby making the Lemmings larger and out of shape.

Paint.NET has a "replace color" tool that does the job great for this. You will want to change a few of the options on it - antialiasing off, tolerance to zero (or maybe very low, if zero isn't quite working right), and I find it easier to use the "replace 2nd color with 1st" than "replace clicked color with primary color" mode though either one is useable for this task.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile

Paint.NET has a "replace color" tool that does the job great for this. You will want to change a few of the options on it - antialiasing off, tolerance to zero (or maybe very low, if zero isn't quite working right), and I find it easier to use the "replace 2nd color with 1st" than "replace clicked color with primary color" mode though either one is useable for this task.
I've been using Paint.Net for over a year and I never knew of this.