Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• He who usually only makes it up to rank two
  • Old Formats Fundamentalist
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Migration
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 11:42:23 pm »
So, I've finally managed to solve a good chunk of this pack in one fell swoop! :party:

I skipped the level I got stuck on the last time ("An incident in the mine") at first - this one was really hiding in plain sight, relying on a trick I myself like to use very often.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some remarks to single levels:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:35:46 am by Strato Incendus »
Ghost Lemmings - help us test a possible new NeoLemmix skill!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour, my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels, JUST RELEASED!
Paralems, a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems, a more puzzly one, 100 levels
Lemmicks, a pack for NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:14 pm »
Finished at last! :)

I had a much higher motivation of trying to finish this pack than any of the others I was playing - partly due to its more accessible length, but also due to the nature of the levels: These more restricted, few-skill challenges are much more to my taste than navigating through huge level landscapes while effectively just trying to do resource conservation.

Perhaps that makes the pack slightly "easier" than the others, or it's just my perception because it's more rewarding - that's the magic mixture of "challenging, but not annoying" :) . Few other custom packs have managed to strike that balance for me so far; most of them, once the easy levels are over, quickly proceed to annoying the hell out of me :evil: . Lemmings Migration was a very pleasant surprise in this regard! :thumbsup:

It was still slightly too hard for me, but only barely so. On the Headache and Migraine rank, I usually got about 90-95% of the solution correct pretty quickly by myself, but then always found myself one skill short, or not knowing about a trick that could be done here, and had to look to Flopsy's LP for that final step to completion.

I also learned some interesting new tricks this way - although the most revolutionary one, the basher-blocker turnaround, apparently wasn't intended ;) , so I actually learned that trick from Flopsy, not from the levels itself - which I consequently started enforcing in my own levels.

Lemmings Migration has thus contributed hugely to the development of Lemmings World Tour, and I have to thank you for that! :thumbsup:

Single level remarks (always the most fun part about giving reviews :D ):

The main and only criticism of this pack is one you've already heard in my Level Design thread "levels relying on tricks"; in this regard, Lemmings Migration also influenced Lemmings World Tour, albeit in a different way, meaning that I have now created more trick-teaching levels specifically for that reason.

Whenever I have a level requiring a trick from the player which I consider somewhat obscure, there is now another level demonstrating that trick to make sure the player knows this option exists in general. Hopefully, putting loads of other levels with completely different demands in between will help hiding the solution of the later levels in plain sight, then :) .

I'm not that much referring to the apparently unintended basher blocker-turnaround here, but mainly to the other tricks like the "inside a tunnel-turnaround", or "building over a digger hole" etc., which apparently are part of the intended solutions indeed ;) .

The pixel precision on "Six days without an accident" shouldn't be regarded as too grave of a criticism of the pack as a whole. ;) Sometimes levels can just become unintentionally precise, as I experienced myself with Lemmicks's "Do not fear". It's simply one level I'd strongly suggest to make a little more lenient ;) , unless that somehow poses a danger to the solution, which I don't see at the moment, though.

My replays are attached. I would like to still give the original Migraine 10 a try, which you have removed from the pack (and I deleted the older iteration from my hard drive, unfortunately) - but I've seen the solution on Flopsy's channel anyway, I just don't remember that much of it, so it might still be somewhat of a challenge.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:26:19 pm by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Nessy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2018, 08:32:19 pm »
Thanks Strato Incendus so much for all your detailed feedback and comments! :thumbsup:

I apologize that it seems to have taken forever to respond in this thread. To be honest I have been feeling unmotivated to fix this pack and I think it's because I really want to add a lot of stuff into it like new levels but conflicted if it should just be another pack or a major update of this one. I thought I made up my mind but I'm still going back and forth :'( I just don't really like the sudden spike in difficulty and I want to take out one or two levels but I have to replace them and it's just a whole mess there :(

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:18 pm »
Short answer: If you want your levels to receive attention, create a new pack! :D

If you merely update an old pack of yours, people who have completed it already probably won't feel like returning to it - partly because they already know all the rest, and it's really just like playing additional single levels; partly because it feels like the creator is shifting the goal posts, resetting the player's status on the pack to "not completed" again :) .

Ask yourself how many people actually revisit levels after they have been backroute-fixed. ;) It's not just a pain to look for a new solution, but also there's usually a bunch of levels in between that have remained exactly the same. The worst part for the player is when the level order is changed, because then the old replays won't work, or have to be tried arbitrarily and possibly renamed - but the solutions themselves still aren't anything new.
My packs so far:

Offline Akseli

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:35 pm »
I played the new format version of this hit level pack, my solutions for all the 40 levels are attached. :)

My initial go at this pack here, my second go at V2.1 here.

Comments (contain spoilers):

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:44:34 pm by Akseli »

Offline Nessy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2018, 07:52:37 pm »
Thanks for playing again Akseli! :thumbsup:

Comments (click to show/hide)

@Strato your replays are next. Sorry for completely forgetting about them :(