2 (20%)
I don't personally see it as useful but do not object to it existing
3 (30%)
I do not think NeoLemmix should support it
2 (20%)
No preference
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Wrap? [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER]  (Read 10704 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Wrap? [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER]
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
If anything, feels like a double-speed kind of skill (which I seem to recall namida already ruled out on grounds of implementation and testing difficulties) might be easier implementation-wise--you'd more or less basically just run the regular physics one extra time in the frame for the subset of lemmings that possess double-speed.

The vast majority of this is changes to the pixel set / test code, and then UI / render stuff. Not much change should be needed to core physics code, so very little chance of unwanted side effects.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 05:01:20 AM »
Hang on... does this mean Turbo Lemming might happen after all? :excited:

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »
I think namida is describing the steps to implement wrap here, not SuperLemming... ;)

But I'm not sure, of course.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
Okay, so poll results suggest very strong interest in this.

This topic can now go back to sleep until work for V12.11.0 begins, which is most likely when I'll look at doing this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »
From another topic:

Just whilst it's come up: it's still my general feeling that screen wrap's implementation in-game ought to be the choice of the player: if they'd prefer the level to scroll continuously, that's what they'll see. If they'd prefer a glowing edge and lems walking off one side and reappearing the other, same again.

But yeah, maybe a separate topic to discuss wrap? I think there already is one somewhere...

If I can get it to work, my ideal implementation is the infinite scrolling.

If it isn't too much additional work, I can look at adding the "no infinite scroll, but some other clear indicator is present" (for which the glowing edges is one possible indicator) as a second option. Likewise, if I can't get infinite scrolling to work, the glowing edges is a decent alternative suggestion.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 07:53:09 PM »
Well, since I'm already trying to emulate Lemmings 2: The Tribes and Lemmings 3D inside NeoLemmix (in separate custom packs), infinite scrolling would enable me to simulate Lemmings Revolution in NeoLemmix... especially if we get portals (=bidirectional, non-release-rate-sensitive teleporters) as well... :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2020, 05:39:11 PM »
Okay, I'd like to decide on whether or not Wrap will happen, before V12.11 is released.

Note that wrap will NOT be a V12.11 feature. It is likely to be V12.14 at the earliest for Wrap to actually happen; possibly 12.13 if very few / only very simple object types get the approval - this is just about making the decision. The reason for this relates to the Laserer - there is a specific detail of Laserer physics that is solely there to account for the future possibility of wrap, specifically the distance limit on the laser's range, and if wrap is not going to happen I would prefer to ditch that limit.

As full disclosure, I am currently leaning towards "no" on this one myself. It's one of those things that feels cool, but has limited actual use - doubly so if portals were to be implemented, which would be able to cover most situations that Wrap would otherwise be needed for. Some people may note that I have previously criticized levels that use teleporters to simulate this. The issue there was not the pseudo-wrap in and of itself, but the use of invisible / don't-look-like-teleporters teleporters to do the job (ie: the actual issue was misleading object designs), or of multiple stacked teleporters (ie: it looks like there's one but you can actually ram several lemmings through it at once because there's several in one spot; portals would by design let lemmings rapidly go through so this would not be an issue there). It would also be a lot of work to implement, and while I don't believe it has zero potential, I'm not convinced it has enough to justify the effort. However, note my wording here - "leaning towards no", not "decided it's not going to happen".

I've put a new poll up as the old one was from a very long time ago, when NL's physics and philosophy were a lot less rigid than they are now. I will note that the old one was very much in favor - almost all "Yes" votes with one or two "no preference".
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 10:18:06 PM »
I voted yes again, but I will note that I'd much rather have the Laserblaster skill and Portals than Wrap, so - if it comes to the crunch and Wrap is causing too many issues - I'd suggest go with Laserblaster & Portals.

As you've pointed out, Portals can be used to simulate wrap, and they can be designed in such a way as not to be misleading.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
I'm in the "I don't personally see it as useful but do not object to it existing" section, but I think our efforts are better put somewhere else.

We can add better things and don't need to rely on this clutter. ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2020, 11:06:53 PM »
I'm voting "no" because I think portals are a much better idea and they can pretty much do everything that wrap can. Do any of the people who've voted "I have ideas for puzzles that use it" have particular ideas that would only work with wrap and not portals?

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2020, 12:25:56 AM »
I voted yes; I may not have that many current ideas involving wrap, but it would allow me to convert my wrap levels from Lemmicks to New Formats :thumbsup: . And apart from that, it would allow for the re-creation of Lemmings Revolution solutions. Yes, portals are a part of that as well, but in Lemmings Revolution, portals and the "wrapped" cylinder shape of the levels are two different things. ;)
My packs so far:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2020, 12:29:35 AM »
I still hold the opinion that if we're going to have wrap we should have infinite scrolling. This is something that portals can't emulate, thus giving the boundary of the level special treatment, still. Skills would likely behave differently around the boundaries, and lemmings appearing on the other side of the level is harder to visualize than a proper infinite scroll.

The current Laser Blaster implementation would definitely have major problems with small proper wrap levels though - it's already too large in small levels without wrap, IMO.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2020, 12:41:56 AM »
I still hold the opinion that if we're going to have wrap we should have infinite scrolling.

Agreed, but that is a matter of UI, not physics. We don't have to decide that part now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2020, 11:55:11 PM »
Okay so - it's a close call on the poll. Slightly in favor of it, although I note that only some of the supporters voted that they have ideas for how to use it.

Wrap would be a significant amount of effort to implement, and it definitely seems like it would be of limited use at best. On top of that, portals are looking like a strong candidate for addition as a new object type, and there is even less that would require wrap if portals are supported.

So I am ultimately making the call here - NeoLemmix is not going to be getting wrap. I realise this might be a disappointing answer, but it simply comes down to that there are more useful things to focus on.
My Lemmings projects