Poll

Should we use Amiga or Genesis for the special graphics levels?

Amiga for all four
3 (33.3%)
Genesis for "Beast" and "MENACING"
6 (66.7%)
Genesis for all four
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 05, 2017, 08:14:01 PM

Author Topic: "Lemmings Redux": A "remake" of official games for NeoLemmix.  (Read 128103 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: "Lemmings Redux": A "remake" of official games for NeoLemmix.
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
Don't know if this is necessary, but maybe we should also introduce a level based on how to clear traps. Fun 21 is not a bad example as it forces the player to go over the trap. Also makes a good introduction to water if the player wants to challenge themselves. Prima Fun 3 is a slightly better example, as while it is a bit lengthy, it does at least force the player to go under the traps. If we put steel under the first trap, then the player will have to clear the traps both ways.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »
I agree, there should be an early easy level that shows that triggered traps exist and makes the player bypass one. Fun 21 is a fairly good example -- a little lengthy, but not builder-heavy, and it has the advantage of being an interesting level with lots of possible solutions.

I like Prima Fun 3 much less because it's visually very plain, and the obvious solution is trivial and tedious (it takes a long time compared to the number of skill assignments).

Not sure if there are any other candidates. This is one thing I'll check when I go over the lists in more detail.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »
(it takes a long time compared to the number of skill assignments).

But this is NeoLemmix, right? You can always fast-forward.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2016, 09:30:12 PM »
(it takes a long time compared to the number of skill assignments).

But this is NeoLemmix, right? You can always fast-forward.

Yes, we do know, but fast-forwarding levels isn't the point of the project. It is just to include some of the best puzzles in the set, which includes cutting out the tedious ones, whether it needs fast-forward or not.

I think we're in agreement that Fun 21 should be included in the set. There are actually two ways to clear the trap, build over it, or bunch them all up and release! I also realise there's water that the player may like to cross if they want to.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2016, 05:23:45 AM »
Since we've been talking about the tediousness of levels for quite some time, I came up with an awesome brainwave. :D I went through each level to check out the maximum time the player has to waste before assigning an alternate skill to a lemming, or before clearing the path for the others. So let's take Fun 15 for example, which involves bashing and building. I start timing by the moment he's assigned the first basher, and finish when I assign him the builder. I assign him the basher at 7:36 and then the builder at 6:54. He's wasted 42 seconds. Then when he starts building to the exit, the path is cleared at 5:46, meaning that he's taken 68 seconds. I take the higher of the two numbers shown at fill it in the table. I've completed most of the levels the intended way, but I have a few questions to raise on some of the levels that I think I backrouted.

Sunsoft 30 "Fall and no life (Part Two)": I ended up bashing underneath the right-facing OWW at the bottom, saving a builder in the process. I still can't find the intended solution though. Replay attached below.

Present 27 "Try anything once": As mentioned before, I solved it easily by digging the one-way. Steel on top highly recommended.

Present 30 "Final impediment": I want to see this one out of the redux. >:( I never used the platforms below, and was able to solve 100% by just working on the top two. Building to the wall and back takes a whole minute to be exact.

Crazy 19 "Don’t Panic" Not a bad level for the second rank (and I don't mind if it stays in the second rank for the Redux if no terrain alterations are made, it's a fairly decent size anyway) but I think the proper route involves going up to the OWW above, and digging down to the exit. That's why there's only one basher and two walls before the exit. The TLE's solution is a backroute as it uses two bombers to break the last wall. I've found out that you can dig and bash the floor. If we wanted to remove the backroutes, this can easily be remedied by taking away the floor in between the two walls.

Sunsoft 19 "Let's go camping." It's a worthy contender for the Redux, no doubt about it, but at the moment all I used was the top platform, freeing the blocker easily with a digger basher.

H94 Hail 04 "Lemmintaschen?" Very nicely designed lantern, but as I mentioned in my old review players can just mine and build under it, removing the challenge altogether. I thought the intended solution was to bash the lantern, including the wall with three candles above. That must be where the 20 builders are coming from.

Sunsoft 20 "Haunted botanical garden" Why a split entrance on the right side? ??? Anyway, I didn't use all the skills, but I expected the lemmings on the left to get hit by the hidden trap after building the gap below. The thing is, they didn't. I wonder if this should be happening on the Genesis version. This post is a similar example that comes to my mind, showing trigger areas for different graphic styles. If so, then I'll need to request a fix to move that trap.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »
There haven't been posts here for a while, but I do remember people saying they wanted time to give further feedback. Are these people still planning on this? (It's alright if you aren't able to do so right away; I just want to see whether I should continue waiting or start moving forward a bit.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »
I just finished what I said I would do earlier - go through all the levels and rate them in difficulty.  There are 480 total levels between all the official packs, many of which I had not played before.  I have attached a spreadsheet with my estimate of difficulty.

In the poll earlier I voted for 5x35.  But after combing through the levels I think it would be better to have 5x30 or even 5x25.  There is a lot of repetition of ideas in the medium difficulty levels that should be pared down for a 'best of lemmings' pack.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2016, 04:46:55 PM »
Yes, I'm still going to go through all the levels and give further recommendations for inclusions/exclusions when I have time.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
No worries. :)

bsmith: I'll take a look at that tomorrow. Will be useful to have more input for level ordering. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I haven't yet looked at Covox and Prima Publ. levels, but here are my opinions, where they differ from namida's list. Some general notes at the beginning:
1) I don't care to have one VGASpec in each rank, which might not even be possible if we go for more than 5 ranks.
2) Whenever one of the more interesting easy levels turned out to have a repeat, I prioritized "interesting game-play" over "no repeat".

Remove these levels (click to show/hide)

Add these levels (click to show/hide)

For later reference, here two levels, that I think are greatly misplaced:
  • Tricky 25 (Cascade): The hardest level in Tricky by far. Certainly not Rank 1, but rather around Rank 3.
  • Taxing 10 (Izzie Wizzie lemmings get busy): Better in Rank 1.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2016, 03:55:53 AM »
Perhaps a bit late to the discussion, but in regards to ONML and especially Tame:

I honestly don't think it's worth including more than, like, 5 of the Tame levels, and even that, I think, is a bit of a stretch.  They generally require only one or two skills to clear, and it's almost always one of the three terrain remover skills, typically used interchangeably, with the occasional builder thrown in.  Once you understand what all of the skills do (i.e. what the tutorial levels in Fun are designed to do), there is no longer any value in playing the Tame levels, as they generally aren't even usable for self-imposed challenges.

What I feel makes Fun so effective as easy levels is the fact that they DO throw challenges at the player that force the player to figure out how to bypass, but make it so the skillset is not a constraint.  This allows the player to experiment with the skills and learn how they interact with each other before having to actually use the skills to solve puzzles later in the game.

The role of easy levels isn't to be easy; it's to ease the player into the game and to prepare them for the later levels.  The Tame levels are easy, but they definitely don't prepare you for anything other than the levels immediately following the tutorial levels in Fun.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2016, 05:05:45 AM »
That's definitely an interesting point. I would think it's important to, beyond the tutorial levels, have a few extremely simple ones of the Tame variety - no huge dangers, but do require the player to at least think "which skills can I use here". In other words, a small handful of Tame levels between the tutorial levels and any Fun type levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2016, 06:37:55 AM »
Hey, I'm glad that there are some people still interested in this. During the rather inactive period I've already compiled a list of 150 levels that I feel should be included in the redux. Because this list is so long, I've collapsed them into separate lists of different games. I've compared my list to Nepster's suggestions and have bolded the levels that he considered controversial.

Original (click to show/hide)

ONML (click to show/hide)

Genesis (click to show/hide)

Holiday (click to show/hide)

Other levels (click to show/hide)

BTW whether we should include it or not "Don't leave any Lemmings" is supposed to be a right-entrance level despite the right-left layout. It makes more sense to bomb the right side of the starting platform to give the lemmings a safer drop.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:48:50 AM by Minim »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
I'll go over a few things quickly -- this isn't my full review, which I'll still do as soon as I have time.

Tame levels

I think we should include Tame 1, 4, 5 and no others, for the reason namida stated two posts up. These are actually much better suited to the role of "first non-tutorial levels" than the original Fun 8, 9, 10 -- 8 and 9 are as trivial as the least interesting Tames, and 10 is bad because the most obvious solution for beginners is to make everyone float, which is boring.

Why these three in particular? 1 is an excellent first level. 4 adds some interest with having to bring the lemmings down without splatting. 5 introduces steel.

As I mentioned previously, I also like the idea of using Tame 11 and 8 as replacement tutorial levels to cut down on the number of repeats, but if you don't want to do this, their 20-of-all versions don't bring anything new -- both are just "bash twice" like Tame 2.

Feedback on Nepster's lists

Repeats: Strongly agree with including Fun 12 and not Tricky 23. Fun 12 is a good easy level and teaches coping with RR 99.
Strongly agree with including Fun 21 and Fun 27, even though we will probably use their repeats as well. 21 is a good level and might end up being the first level that introduces triggered traps. 27 is really good because it has lots of possible solutions, and and interesting challenge for a talisman.
Agree with including Tricky 5 and not Taxing 8.

Removals: For now, I don't agree with removing levels just because they "don't bring anything new", if they are fun to play, which is of course subjective. Most on Nepster's list I would rather keep if possible, but we should see what the numbers look like after removing any levels we do agree on.
Agree on removing Taxing 29, which is not interesting. This is another where we could re-include its easy version to fill out the easy set, depending on numbers.
Agree on not including any WAFD.
Agree on removing Crazy 17, Wicked 18 and 19, Havoc 6 and 11, Hail 1 and 12, Present 22 and 25, Sunsoft 27. I don't really want to give reasons for every level at the moment, so I'll just say that I agree with Nepster's reasons.

Strong disagreement on Sunsoft 9, which is a really good puzzle that stumped me for a long time. I'd also like to keep Present 30, but only if we can de-backroute it.

Additions: Disagree with Pea Soup, which is tedious and virtually the same as Stepping Stones.
Disagree with Crazy 13, which has a ton of unintended solutions.
I think we should include a selection of the PSP levels, and I think this will help with filling out the easy set, so we shouldn't include more Holiday levels just because they are easy.
Disagree with Blizzard 1, which is long and tedious. True that Mary Poppins' Land is mostly building, but it's also shorter.
Disagree with Present 4, which has too many hidden traps. Present 3 or 5 would be a better additional easy level.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
Also, I note that a couple on Nepster's "remove" list were originally not included, and prematurely re-included because just one person had suggested doing so. For now, we should still regard the list on Page 3 of this topic as the main list, and keep track of how many people are for or against each removal from or addition to that list.