Author Topic: Doomsday Lemmings  (Read 54025 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Doomsday Lemmings
« on: January 05, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
This is a relatively small pack, at only 21 levels, divided equally across three ranks. Note that it already starts to get fairly hard by the end of the first rank, so this pack is not recommended for beginners.

This pack is focused solely on zombie levels. Every level has zombies. So... lemmings, check. Zombie apocalypse, check. Insanity, check. What more could you ask for? :P

Doomsday Lemmings is confirmed solvable in NeoLemmix V12.12.X.

You can download the pack here: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?program=30
Solution replays can be downloaded here: http://www.neolemmix.com/replay/DoomsdayLemmings_Replays_V12.10-A.zip

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:12:09 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: "Zombie Project"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:59:44 PM »
(There were maximum saved records here, but I'm not sure if they still hold true. There was also a talisman list here, but I decided to remove talismans from this game as they felt kind of forced rather than having the more-natural feel they do in the Lemmings Plus packs.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:25:08 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »
I like the look of the landscape. It might appear to be basic but adding the red hairs (or maybe it's blood IDK) under the landscape (as well as the usual black background) complements this theme well. I also like the fact that your avatar is part of what you're working on. I'm looking forward to this...
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:27:17 AM »
I also can't wait for this one! Especially since this is indeed a gimmick with lots of potential. The new graphic set looks nice and gives that horror feeling.

I have a name idea for the pack: Thriller. Much like how you named the Backwards Lemmings rank Moonwalk.

YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »
I kind of feel "Thriller" isn't connected enough to the Zombie theme specifically.

One consideration I had was "Lemmings: Outbreak", but it feels awkward because of "Outbreak" also being a rank name. I had another good idea earlier today while I was out, but I can't remember it now...

Another idea I just had was "Undead Lemmings"; it sort of fits in with how "Xmas Lemmings", "Holiday Lemmings" and "3D Lemmings" are one word plus "Lemmings". I might use this if I don't think of a better one.

So, as a point of interest, I've made two levels so far. And literally the only pieces (object OR terrain) they have in common are the steel block, the window, and pre-placed lemmings. So, even though this pack only has one graphic set, it has the feel of having more than one. :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:52:54 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
I thought of a name for the project: Lemmings Revived? I'm sure that might work well...

I like your ratings of Plague and Apocalypse, they both have certain meanings that connect to the Zombie theme. I thought of another rating: Spirit? (It's related to ghosts, which is kinda similar to the haunted project)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05:33 AM »
And, I don't have an official name for the pack yet. I would've probably gone with "Night Of The Lemming Dead" had that not been the name of an LPO level, though. :P

If it were me, I'd call it that anyway, and rename that level if need be. It's brilliant :thumbsup:. You could even use "Return of the Lemming Dead" for a sequel. But if you don't want to do that, you could parody another game/movie...

LemmingZ (or LemZ)
Lemmings vs Zombies
Lem 4 Dead
Rodent Evil

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »
That was the name of one of my Cheapo levels, but yeah, those aren't coming back from the dead any time soon......

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »
I like your ratings of Plague and Apocalypse, they both have certain meanings that connect to the Zombie theme. I thought of another rating: Spirit? (It's related to ghosts, which is kinda similar to the haunted project)
You guys will have to pardon my awful sense of humour here, but might I suggest "Rotten"? ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:11 AM »
Here's another level; the first level I've made for Apocalypse. Notice the completely different style of most of the terrain, as well as a completely different type of exit (that's actually the locked exit, but there's no buttons in this level so it's unlocked right from the start).

And yes, those strange looking things by the "entrances" to each side of the level are indeed traps. Traps that took me AGES to make, and boosted the size of the VGAGR file by about 30KB. >_>
(They're also fairly slow traps compared to my LPII / LPIII ones; at RR99, about 7 lemmings can pass when it kills one. RR45 is the highest RR where it will kill every lemming that gets to it; from RR46 there'll start to be lemmings that slip past.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:18:06 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
I think I've done enough on the graphic set at this point; from now on the focus is on the levels. :) Knowing me, I probably won't use all the stuff I've already put in the set, let alone more. Though I might add more terrain pieces if I see a good use for them.

(It has almost every object type NeoLemmix offers so far; the only ones it doesn't are Radiation, Slowfreeze, Teleporters/Receivers and Updraft. I may consider adding teleporters. None of the levels so far use either of the Fire objects, the one-way down arrows, or the unlock buttons; and plenty more objects are only used in one level.)

Level-wise, I've done two levels each for Outbreak and Apocalypse, and three for Plague (the middle rank).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:54:38 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
Alright, so every rank has a final level now (assuming none of them get moved - I'd say Plague's and Apocalypse's are pretty safe, but I'm a bit unsure if Outbreak's final level might be too hard for its position...). The second rank still doesn't have a first level though...

Also, a level I just made uses all the objects listed in the previous post, apart from the one-way down arrows. :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
So, I just did a quick run through of the levels so far to establish some "baseline" saved records.

I won't give the full results here, but here's some interesting tidbits. These are only based on the levels I've made so far of course (which is 3 each in Outbreak and Apocalypse, and 4 in Plague).

* There are four levels where it's impossible to exceed the requirement as far as I can tell.
* Of those four, three of them require saving every lemming that isn't already a zombie when it spawns, so they're basically the Zombie gimmick's equivalent of 100%-required levels.
* Aside from those three levels, there's two more levels where it's possible to save every lemming that isn't initially a zombie. Both of these are the first level of their respective rank; Outbreak 1 is trivial to do this on, while for Plague 1 it's actually quite a challenge.
* There are at least four levels (just going by memory here, I didn't record this specifically) where lost lemmings are lost in traditional ways rather than as a result of becoming a zombie (or where losses occur due to both traditional ways *and* zombification within the same level but on different lemmings).

By the way, if anyone was wondering: This pack doesn't have repeats. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Doomsday Lemmings (formerly known as "Zombie Project")
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:52:23 AM »
Alright, we now finally have one finished rank - specifically, Apocalypse. :D

Still need to make Outbreak 2, Outbreak 3 and Plague 2. This'll be the easier part, of course. Aside from that, just a few small touches left - a title screen (which by the way, I still haven't decided on a final name xD), and maybe a bit more decoration in some of the more bare-looking levels. I'm not going to do a proper testing period with this one, but I will of course do an update or two if need be to fix backroutes.

(Some of you might've noticed Plague 2 was struck out at one point - this isn't that a level's been moved, but rather an absent-minded mistake; I meant to strike out Apocalypse 3.)

Both of the new Apocalypse levels since I made the last post allow you to lose one lemming not including those that start as zombies; and so far, I haven't found a way to save that one lemming on either of them. A major difference is that one of them has only a single zombie, while the other almost half the lemmings in the level are zombies. However, that's far from the highest ratio - the highest actually belongs to one of the Outbreak levels, with a ratio of 29 zombies to every normal lemming. :P

EDIT: Okay, I chose a name now, and everything other than the last few levels is now complete. :)

Another detail I'll release... this pack is not going to use time limits at all. That's not to say that there won't be levels where you have to act quickly due to incoming zombies or anything like that, but the levels themself all have infinite time limits. This is also a first for me - Lemmings Plus Omega didn't have time limits on most levels, and Holiday Lemmings Plus only had one level with a time limit; but this is the first pack that doesn't use them at all.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:39:31 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Doomsday Lemmings (formerly known as "Zombie Project")
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:57:56 AM »
ALRIGHT, it's here! Download link in first post. :)
My Lemmings projects