Author Topic: Doomsday Lemmings  (Read 54023 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday Lemmings
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »
Had a watch of the first level Kaywhyn, and couldn't help but think it's possible to save all (except the zombie, of course).

Feeling inspired by your LP, I also filmed my own quick LP of Outbreak but forgot to start OBS!!! I managed to save all (but the zombies) for the first 5 levels. There are some belters in here! Levels 6 and 7 were particularly challenging. I'll probably do Apocalypse for my (planned) Last Rank LP.

Replays attached :lemcat:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2020, 12:42:54 AM »
An optimised version of level 4's solution, using only 11 skills to solve it in 47 seconds. Plus another sub-1 minute solution using only 9 skills!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2020, 02:27:48 AM »
Wow, never knew I have been instrumental in motivating people to play packs. Awesome, WillLem! :thumbsup:

Had a watch of the first level Kaywhyn, and couldn't help but think it's possible to save all (except the zombie, of course).

Oh it's very easy to save everyone in Outbreak 1. I simply didn't bother to :crylaugh: I sometimes go for saving everyone if possible, but sometimes I don't. I'm really odd when it comes to this haha.

Feeling inspired by your LP, I also filmed my own quick LP of Outbreak but forgot to start OBS!!! I managed to save all (but the zombies) for the first 5 levels. There are some belters in here! Levels 6 and 7 were particularly challenging. I'll probably do Apocalypse for my (planned) Last Rank LP.

Replays attached :lemcat:

Nice to know that people here are indeed watching my LPs. I just don't know if the pack authors have. I remember you asked Armani if he was considering to do any LPs, as like you I would love to watch him do them, but as he has said he has no plans to do any in the future due to various reasons. It's not because he said "no" that made me take up LPing. I simply decided to do it after I saw how very easy it is to set up OBS and how I was looking into getting a new and much better laptop. Despite how I fumble my words a lot when recording, I'm still willing to do LPs. So far, with the two packs I have LPed, I'm enjoying myself a lot when doing it, and so rest assured that you will be seeing more LPs from me in the future. That reminds me. If you have any recommendations/suggestions for packs that I should LP, feel free to drop them off at my topic here: . I can probably take a look at your video series of first rank packs you did for ideas, and I'm definitely considering your packs to LP ;) Until I get suggestions from people, I'm going to hold back on doing my third LP, since I don't want to make the same mistake of LPing a pack without input from the community, like I did with Doomsday Lemmings.

Yes, you're right in that after the first 5 levels of Outbreak, which are very easy and extremely open-ended, the final two levels of the rank are the most challenging because they're no longer as open-ended, so the difficulty already picks up with them. I saw your replay for Outbreak 5, and I can say that you somewhat made it more difficult than it needed to be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: regarding my complete set of replays, I just added a note to that post saying that if you want to view them, make sure you do it in v12.9.4, as those replays were made in that version of NL. When upgrading to v12.10.0, 4 of my replays break, and the replay refresher tool doesn't fix them, because I apparently played a version of the pack that was made for versions earlier than v12.7, which is why it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:38:02 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2020, 06:31:21 AM »
I just added a note to that post saying that if you want to view them, make sure you do it in v12.9.4, as those replays were made in that version of NL. When upgrading to v12.10.0, 4 of my replays break, and the replay refresher tool doesn't fix them, because I apparently played a version of the pack that was made for versions earlier than v12.7, which is why it doesn't work.

Using an older version of NL will not help. Using the older verison of the pack is necessary. As mentioned, you had V12.00 (mislabelled on the title screen as 2.03), and some levels must have changed between that and V12.7-A. It is only V12.7-A -> V12.7-B -> V12.10-A that there are no level changes; I can't guarantee this for V12.00 -> V12.7-A (there was no other version inbetween these).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »
Using an older version of NL will not help. Using the older verison of the pack is necessary. As mentioned, you had V12.00 (mislabelled on the title screen as 2.03), and some levels must have changed between that and V12.7-A. It is only V12.7-A -> V12.7-B -> V12.10-A that there are no level changes; I can't guarantee this for V12.00 -> V12.7-A (there was no other version inbetween these).

Ah, that's why. It was a complete misunderstanding on my part, then. It wasn't pointed out that v2.03 meant v12 of the pack, but now I understand. If it was mislabeled, that probably means the leading 1 was missing so that it should had read 12.03 instead. It makes sense to me now. In that case, I should clarify my note that there's no way to fix my replays for the v12.10-A of the pack without me taking control of the replay since the replays themselves were made in the v12.03 of the pack in the v12.9.4 of the NL player. My replays will work as long as the level pack version isn't v12.10-A, and so you won't be able to view them without using an older version of the level pack, just like you said. Similarly, your two replays won't work unless I use the v12.10-A of the pack, as I have previously verified as working when I did that. Thanks for the clarification.

Just to make sure, my LP of your level pack hasn't gone unnoticed from you, right? In any case, you have my LP, as well as my replays in this topic to view as long as you use a pre 12-10-A pack version. I might just end up fixing those 4 replays myself so that they're up-to-date for the v12.10-A of the pack at a later time, but I'm still going to keep the v2.03 replays around since they're the exact same ones from the LP. Luckily, only 4 of them are affected. The other 17 still work.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »
Just to make sure, my LP of your level pack hasn't gone unnoticed from you, right?

Not at all - I've watched the first two videos of it so far, and will be continuing it today. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2020, 06:33:38 PM »
Just to make sure, my LP of your level pack hasn't gone unnoticed from you, right?

Not at all - I've watched the first two videos of it so far, and will be continuing it today. :)

Awesome, thanks for confirming with me. I figured that you have, and I'm guessing WillLem and Proxima have as well since all of you are doing challenges for this pack. I do apologize for the videos being really long, though. I'm working on reducing their length. If I'm not mistaken, I believe when you did LPs you used a stopwatch/timer so you know how long you been recording. I think I will do that as well. I'm also going to throw this out and let you know that I do have plans to LP another pack of yours in the future. I haven't decided yet, but I know I would like to do another LP of a pack of yours. In the meantime, you're more than welcome to drop off your recommendations/suggestions on another pack for me to LP in my topic in the general discussion board if you have any ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
I haven't watched the LP yet, though I have completed the first rank so I'm ready to watch it now. It's just hard to find time :P My favourite youtuber, Alex Diener, puts out new content every day, and I've been watching raocow's Sonic videos with my girlfriend, and there's new stuff coming all the time from this community and the DROD community. I have started watching your Migration videos and I'm enjoying them very much -- I'll give you more detailed feedback when I've had time to watch more.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2020, 11:36:54 AM »
I haven't watched the LP yet, though I have completed the first rank so I'm ready to watch it now. It's just hard to find time :P My favourite youtuber, Alex Diener, puts out new content every day, and I've been watching raocow's Sonic videos with my girlfriend, and there's new stuff coming all the time from this community and the DROD community. I have started watching your Migration videos and I'm enjoying them very much -- I'll give you more detailed feedback when I've had time to watch more.

Glad to hear it. Sounds good, sir! Enjoy :P

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2020, 05:18:15 AM »
My replay collection for the pack is updated. 4 levels ended up breaking in the 12.10.0-A version of the pack. I simply went back and imitated the solution I used in my LP of the pack. The 4 replays that were affected going from v12.9.4 to 12.10.0 were Outbreak 5, Plague 6, Apocalypse 3, and Apocalypse 6. These v12.9.4 replays were ran through the replay refresher for v12.10.0, but it resulted in these 4 replays breaking. The same 4 replays still broke even without the replay refresher. It's not needed anyway, since the replays were made in the v12.9.4 NL player. I initially didn't want to bother fixing them since they'll be different from the solution used in my LP, but since it's only 4 replays, I went ahead and fixed them. It was super quick anyway. So, the solution isn't exactly the same in terms of where and when I executed the skills seen in the LP, but the solutions are pretty much carried out in the exact same sequence seen in the LP. I didn't bother changing any of the solutions, just for consistency with the LP.

My replay collection in reply #76 on the previous page all still work if you use v12.9.4 of the NL player. The reason some replays broke is due to how I had v2.03 of the pack, which is much older than v12.7 and is no longer available for download and is the reason why some of my replays ended up breaking going to v12.10.0 despite being ran through the replay refresher. So, download the replay set in this post instead.

Offline redddevil

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2022, 03:47:56 PM »
Am I right to assume that the official solution to Apocalypse 7 no longer works?
Assigning bomber to faller makes him explode straight away and hence unable to bomb out the horde n'est-ce pas?

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2022, 05:46:22 PM »
Am I right to assume that the official solution to Apocalypse 7 no longer works?
Assigning bomber to faller makes him explode straight away and hence unable to bomb out the horde n'est-ce pas?

I can definitely see why you would think so, and you would be right, except there is a very specific setup that allows you to release the zombies. See namida's intended solution which I've attached here. In any case, yes, there are solutions available that don't involve releasing them, such as mine, though mine is an extremely difficult one to pull off, especially as it nearly fails anyway ;) If namida really wanted to, he could definitely easily downright block my solution, but as the pack has been out for a long time now, I don't think he will. I personally wouldn't, I just think it's too awesome in which it's a level that my kind of solution exists but isn't required at all :laugh:

Offline redddevil

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2022, 04:55:32 PM »
I thought I had viewed Namida's solution at the end of your video (following your nicely sneaky nuke solution).
When he assigns the bomber in that video the faller does the hand/head waving and explodes further down amongst the zombies and hence frees them but if I assign the bomber in neolemmix the faller explodes immediately in  mid-air and so does not release them.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »
I thought I had viewed Namida's solution at the end of your video (following your nicely sneaky nuke solution).
When he assigns the bomber in that video the faller does the hand/head waving and explodes further down amongst the zombies and hence frees them but if I assign the bomber in neolemmix the faller explodes immediately in  mid-air and so does not release them.

Ah, in your case, you're assigning the bomber too late.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline redddevil

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2022, 01:05:32 PM »
Of course - how stupid of me!
Thanks for putting me straight.