Lemmings Boards > Reviews

Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)

<< < (10/11) > >>

DireKrow:
Wimpy 9 - It's A Thin Line!

Lemmings: 60
To save: 54
Release rate: 85
Skills: 30 of each Climbers, Floaters, Bombers, Blockers, Builders, Bashers, Miners, Diggers

Good: Nice gentle introduction to building to walls to bash through it. As a tutorial level, I like that focus was placed on it by making containing the crowd a comparatively simple affair.
Bad: Visual design is a simple. Not the best use of space, since the active play area is entirely in the top half.

Nessy:
Wimpy 10 - Labyrinth of Despair

Lemmings: 80
To save: 72
Release rate: 80
Skills: 30 of every skill except Floaters which is 5

Good: One of my favorites from this rank. The fact that you don't have a lot of floaters now presents the challenge of having to navigate some pretty tricky terrain to not only save the lemmings from the hatch on the right but also make sure you don't accidentally crave out a path that leads to lethal falls as well.
Bad: Not much to say. I guess having 30 of all the other skills does neglect the need to conserve or use your skills wisely so it becomes less of a puzzle since any type of mistake can be easily fixed or any type of strategy can be executed. Then again this is only the second rank so this is without a doubt a nitpicky thing :cute:

Proxima:
Wimpy 11 - The Flagpole

Lemmings: 50
To saveL: 40
Release rate: 75
Skills: 5 climbers, 5 floaters, 3 bombers, 3 blockers, 1 builder, 5 bashers

Good: A nice simple introduction to a useful trick: bombing a climber so a later climber has a starting-point for other skills. The limited skillset helps focus on the trick so the new player will easily discover it.
Bad: There is a more devious solution, which will be required on the later repeat (Danger 25, "Use the Pen!") but is possible on this level. I consider that a bad thing because if the player does find this solution here, the later level will feel like a pointless rehash. This could have been prevented by trimming the skillset to only the skills needed by the climb-bomber solution.

DireKrow:
Wimpy 12 - Only One Place To Go

Lemmings: 50
To save: 49
Skills: 2 Climbers, 1 Bomber, 1 Blocker, 1 Builder, 3 Bashers, 1 Digger

Good: One of my favourites from Wimpy. I like that it escalates Mild 6 in a way that's immediately understood: there's two groups but only one digger. The talisman is great and results in a cool discovery for new players (like me) who didn't consider combining skills in that way.
Bad: Decoration is sparse. Ultimately, the talisman solution is much simpler than the 'regular' solution, so if an experienced player spots that solution first, it renders the puzzle trivial by comparison.

Nessy:
Wimpy 13 - A Magician Would Be Handy

Lemmings: 80
To save: 40
Skills: 40 of every skill

Good: This level introduces you to some pretty extreme obstacles such as having to build up to really high places, manage and prevent lethal falls, and having to figure out a way to dig out a ceiling of terrain to reach the exit without any proper upward destructive skills. However, the level does give you a very large skillset that allows players to freely experiment with them and start figuring out some more advanced strategies and tricks all on their own and without having their hand held.
Bad: I wouldn't say this is a "bad" thing but I guess for this level still being early on in Wimpy it can be a bit intimating for new players especially if they somehow don't learn any new tricks and they just brute force through everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version