Author Topic: Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)  (Read 35336 times)

Offline exit

• View Profile
Re: Level Review - Lemmings Plus DOS Project
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
Mild 13: Take a Shortcut!

80 Lemmings
50%(40) to save
RR50
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: A straightforward level that makes people think of how to get there the short way.

Bad: Nothing really.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
No one's wanting to keep this going...? :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
I don't mind. It depends if anyone else wants to keep this going.

Mild 14: Let's Go!
Lemmings: 50
Save: 40
Release rate: 50
Time: 7 minutes
Skills: 20 of each

Good: Has plenty of solutions, and a big time limit. Doesn't require 100%.
Bad: Steepens the learning curve too much with the high exit position, high release rate, elevated walls and the water. Ideally should be placed in late Mild or mid Wimpy. With just pipes and squares, it doesn't look very appealing visually.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Now that we've moved over, it's time to continue this review.

Make sure you download V9 of LPDOS. Well, you don't have to, but V9 has a lot of improved features for Lemmix (such as password on fail screen, selecting skills with mouse when pausing, and especially DOS sounds.)

Mild 15 - On the Other Side
20 of each skill
40 Lemmings, 60% to be saved
Release Rate 1
6 minutes

Good: This one has multiple approaches. You could even dig under the water.
Bad: I'm not sure about the level strongly resembling Fun 15 (along with it being the same position number).

Also, a suggestion: the Level Review topics (both official games and Fangames) should have their own sub-forum.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:53:21 AM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Mild 16: Farewell, My Lemming

80 Lemmings
25%(20) to save
RR99
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: A level that introduces the release rate of 99.

Bad: Nothing really.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »

Mild 17 - Crying Over Spilt Lemming
70 lemmings, 50% to be saved
Release Rate 10
5 minutes
10 of each skill

Good: This level is a proper refresher to one-way walls, unlike Mild 10 and 13. It's also another multiple approach level; you could even build to the wall without your lemmings splatting on the other side. The mix of thin and thick platforms also adds to the challenge for some solutions. This level is also the first Fire level.

Bad: The level is similar to Fun 11 and Tricky 20, but as I said above, you can build over the wall and not worry about the lemmings splatting due to the short fall distance.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »
Mild 18: Dying Not Recommended

40 Lemmings
50%(20) to save
RR 30
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: A level that gets a beginner player thinking of ways for how to go around(not that this pack is a beginner pack, it definitely isn't).

Bad: Pretty simple, but then again, it is "mild".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:47:05 PM by exit »

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
Well, it's been 48 hours, so I've decided to continue.

Mild 19: Up To Where We Go

60 Lemmings
70%(42) to save
RR 50
6 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: This level takes a jump in difficulty and gets the player thinking.

Bad: Nothing at all.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »
Mild 20: Stairway to Infinity

Lemmings: 25
Save: 80% = 20 lemmings
Release Rate: 20
Time: 9 minutes
Skills: 20 of everything

Good: Another level, where all skills are useful, but none is required. Due to many different solutions, this is a good level for challenges.
Okay: The author is praising himself there, isn't he?
Bad: I do not know, how one can spend 9 minutes solving such a small level. It is quite similar to Mild 7 - The Staircase.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:11:01 PM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
Okay: The author is praising himself there, isn't he?

As a point of interest, there were at least two or three other people's names there, before I got sick of changing it after various falling-outs and whatnot so just put myself there instead. :P

The version on the Lemmings Levelpack Database shows one such variant, IIRC it says "Kayla Is Awesome" in this version.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »

Mild 21: Falling Away From Everything...
20 Lemmings, 80% (16) to be saved
Release Rate 50
6 Minutes
20 of everything

Good: This one has an excellent and frightening visual design, and gives you the feeling that you are really in the Underworld. I also like the choices of words in the level. Like many other levels, this one also has multiple approaches in how to hold back the lemmings and how to get around the fire.

Bad: There's lots of building at the end with the six gaps.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »
Mild 22: Blow Down!

Lemmings: 25
Save: 20% = 5 lemmings
Release Rate: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 20 bombers (and 20 blockers in the first versions)

Good: The bomber tutorial, which forces the player to acknowledge the advantages of instant bombers.
Okay: After Mild 17, 19, 20 and 21 finally a more friendly looking level without lava at the bottom.
Bad: As a rather easy tutorial level it would not have hurt to place it earlier.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:29:03 PM by Nepster »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
Another thing about Mild 22 is that the level could have also been done without the blockers. The blockers aren't present in the NeoLemmix version, but that version is consider unofficial. LPI now removes the blockers from that level.

Mild 23: Step Softly...

80 Lemmings, 60% (48) to be saved
Release Rate 50
5 minutes
20 of everything

Good: Another great multiple-approach level with two trapdoors. What makes this level fun is that I love to take this in a non-builder approach. This will be essential for its repeat, Danger 19 "Antigravity".
Bad: Taking the builder approach (i.e. build to the highest ledge from the bottom right of the level) takes away the fun of this level.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:52:26 AM by DynaLem »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »
Yes, the blockers in Mild 22 seem to be relic from the first releases of LPDOS, which still used times bombers.

Mild 24: With a Little Creativity...

Lemmings: 50
Save: 50% = 25 lemmings
Release Rate: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 20 of everything

Good: There are quite a few different solutions, but none that is obvious for non-experts. The skill set and the terrain layout forgive the player several mistakes like digging too deep or bashing too far beyond the exit.
Okay: The older versions, that were not yet based on the NeoLemmix engine, are good for studying glitches/odd behaviours in Lemmings, e.g. try saving 48 lemmings with only 1 blocker, 1 bomber and 2 bashers.
Bad: Rather bland level without much decoration.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:32:32 PM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 11:31:04 PM »
Yes, the blockers in Mild 22 seem to be relic from the first releases of LPDOS, which still used times bombers.

This.
When the bombers were changed to instant, the skillsets weren't changed to match. Only the NeoLemmix version changes them (though on some levels, such as Medi 5, it still keeps them).

As for your challenge - quite simple for the more advanced players. How about 94% only using any two skills from your list? ;)
My Lemmings projects