Author Topic: Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)  (Read 35335 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:23:42 AM »
This Level Review game will be for namida's Lemmings Plus I, formerly known as Lemmings Plus DOS Project.

Download link: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lpi.zip
Level maps: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lpi.html (make sure you copy the image link from the image)

NOTE: If a person doesn't review within 48 hours of the last reviewer's post, then double-posting is allowed.

Here we go!

Mild 1 - Just Walk!
10 Lemmings,, save 10%
Release Rate 50
5 Minutes
0 of each skill

Good: An interesting, simple and amusing way to begin the level pack - the lemmings just simply walk into the exit. 
Bad: This level could be seen as a filler level, but not for me. If this level were placed in any other position, then it would really be a filler level.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:46:20 AM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Level Review - Lemmings Plus DOS Project
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
Mild 2: Be Careful

Lemmings: 80
Save: 20%
Release Rate: 20
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 30 each

Good: At least it's in the right difficulty area. Nice-looking design.
Bad: As all the skills are there, it should really be the opportunity for the player to practise each skill, therefore the floaters and bashers are not necessary in this case.

Edit: Tried to add image, but I can't see it on my browser. ???
Got it now. Thanks namida! :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »
I don't see it either. Where did you get the image from? Did you use the one from Lemmings Level Database? You can use the images that namida provided me in the link on the first post.

Mild 3: Heading on in...

50 Lemmings, 50% to save
Release Rate 50
5 minutes
20 of each skill

Good: Despite the simple layout, the release rate actually adds a slight challenge to it. Unlike the previous level, you have the opportunity to use all the skills, and there are multiple approaches to the level. The level also works very well as an early Mild level.
Bad: Not enough decoration? I'm not sure, there are many great levels without the need for decoration. Maybe that the level does not have a repeat?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:45:13 AM by namida »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
Looks like you guys have decided what we're doing. I'll probably get around to a review later today.

Gosh, I somehow totally forgot about this. Sorry. :-[

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:15:20 AM »
Okay, here's a simple way to do the images:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelimg/lpi/XXXX.png[/img]
Where XXXX is the level rank and position. EG: For Wimpy 20, you'd put 0220. For PSYCHO 7, 0507. Etc.

It has all the images, so you don't have to worry about if the level's a repeat or anything like that.
(Just as a point of interest, this works for the other Lemmings Plus packs too except LPIII Bonus (I'll do those once the levels are finalised), just change "lpi" to any of "lpii", "lpiibonus" or "lpiii".)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:46:01 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
MILD 4: In The Style of ...

80 Lemmings
50%(40) to save
6 Minutes
20 of everything

Good: A very simple level with quite a few solutions.

Bad: (this is really minor) Easier than the last few because it has no immediate threat.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
Mild 5: The Graveyard

Lemmings: 50
Save: 40% (20)
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 20 of each

Good: Forces the player to get to know the death fall in LPDOS. Fortunately there's also various different ways to cope with this issue. So far the most diverse level in this level pack both with its solutions and somewhat detailed landscape.

Bad: Is trickier than many, many levels after it. Also, this is the fifth level in this pack which uses 9 different tilesets, and this level is already the third Dirt level.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:34 AM »
Mild 6: The Cells

50 Lemmings
60%(40) to save
5 Minutes
Twenty of everything.

Good: Another relatively simple level, but you can easily mess up.

Bad: I feel like an inexperienced player would probably start panicking at the sign of the lemmings splatting, so it could be a bit startling at first(not saying I've never done that).

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Is it okay to double-post on a level review topic if people haven't lately? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'm not sure.

Mild 7: The Staircase

50 Lemmings
60%(40) to save
5 Minutes
20 of everything

Good: Level is simple with very minimalistic design.

Bad: I feel like this is a bit easier than the past few levels, just because all that you have to do is build up.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
Is trickier than many, many levels after it. Also, this is the fifth level in this pack which uses 9 different tilesets, and this level is already the third Dirt level.
Also, very few of the levels use the Rock and Bubble tilesets. In fact, there's not a lot of ONML tilesets aside from the Brick ones.

Is it okay to double-post on a level review topic if people haven't lately? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'm not sure.
Good question. I've noticed Akseli did this in the DoveLems topic too. It should be fine unless someone objects.

Mild 8: Wish you had them?
50 lemmings, 40% to be saved
Release Rate 50
5 minutes
10 of everything except bashers

Good: A very good simple level with a twist, as it teaches you to use other skills when you don't have the single skill that helps you get through that wall easily. The thin poles also add to the challenge. Nice title, too.

Bad: The acid is over the steel block on the right and there doesn't seems to be anything on the right side of the acid. Now fixed in LPI.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:15:58 AM by DynaLem »

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Mild 9: Tricky Hit

40 Lemmings
50%(20) to save
(Oops, I've been forgetting to add the release rate)RR50
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: Simple level

Bad: Too simple. And the sparse use of decoration(I only count the chameleon) and the lack of variety in the terrain(there's only four different pieces used) threw me off a bit when I first played it.

Hope that one wasn't too harsh.

In fact, there's not a lot of ONML tilesets aside from the brick ones.
I find it somewhat hard to make good non-buildery levels out of the snow and bubble tilesets, and I only think of good rock levels once in a while. So I don't blame namida completely.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 12:46:18 AM »
Bad: Is trickier than many, many levels after it. Also, this is the fifth level in this pack which uses 9 different tilesets, and this level is already the third Dirt level.

Also, very few of the levels use the Rock and Bubble tilesets. In fact, there's not a lot of ONML tilesets aside from the Brick ones.
Yeah, I missed other ONML tilesets in this level set. It is level designer's strength if he/she is capable of mastering different tilesets equally and creating good levels with all of them. That impresses me in level designing scene in general. I downloaded a while ago a spreadsheet from LPDOS topic consisting of all LPDOS levels and there were amounts of used tilesets also, I don't know if the spreadsheet is available there anymore, but I have it if someone is interested.

Good question. I've noticed Akseli did this in the DoveLems topic too. It should be fine unless someone objects.
Yes in my opinion, too. Double-posting should be fine if it doesn't happen, for example, within 48 hours. That gives some time for other people to review the next level if they want to. If there's no activity for several days then there's no need to postpone reviewing if one doesn't want to. :)

Mild 10 - Take Your Time...

Lemmings: 10
Save: 100% (10)
Release Rate: 50
Skills: 10 climbers

Good: For the first time forces you to both use climbers and save every lemming. The title is really fitting for a Lemmings level. :P

Okay: An okay-looking, minimalistic level after few really crude ones. Has a bit awkwardly (again putting this individual level in a bigger perspective in the entire pack) only one type of skill, whereas nearly all the levels around it tend to have x-of-every-skill.

Bad: The first level to introduce oneway-walls, but in a very sloppy way, because it's essential only in the repeat level. Here that one-pixel wide platform in the middle and the unaesthetic middle wall don't serve a purpose.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:59 AM »
Yeah, I missed other ONML tilesets in this level set. It is level designer's strength if he/she is capable of mastering different tilesets equally and creating good levels with all of them. That impresses me in level designing scene in general. I downloaded a while ago a spreadsheet from LPDOS topic consisting of all LPDOS levels and there were amounts of used tilesets also, I don't know if the spreadsheet is available there anymore, but I have it if someone is interested. 

It's interesting how one of the levels that namida removed in V7 was "The Lonely Pole", which uses the Rock tileset.

I've seen the LPDOS spreadsheet before, and it follows a similar structure to the one from DoveLems. Go ahead and post it.

Yes in my opinion, too. Double-posting should be fine if it doesn't happen, for example, within 48 hours. That gives some time for other people to review the next level if they want to. If there's no activity for several days then there's no need to postpone reviewing if one doesn't want to. :)

Thanks. Now noted on the first post. If another person doesn't review within the next 48 hours, then double posting is allowed. However, I'm not sure about triple-posting or above. That wouldn't be fair to others...

Mild 11: Cliff Climber Lemming
60 lemmings, 50% (30) to be saved
Release rate 20
8 minutes minutes
20 of each skill

Good: A builder level with a twist, due to the bumpy rocks and that you need to find a way around them to get to the exit. I like how the tree is also used for more than decoration purposes.

Bad: The level can be frustrating to new players, and is a little harder than the next few Mild levels.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »

Mild 12: On the Pier
Save: 40
Release rate: 1

Good: Great use of a simple task, to get the lemmings down safely to the bottom without splatting. Has a long list of solutions too, which is perfect for Mild, and ideal for challenges
Bad: The wall below the logs could be smoothed out a bit more to attract basher solutions, otherwise not much else. :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
(Mild 8)
Bad: The acid is over the steel block on the right and there doesn't seems to be anything on the right side of the acid.

Wow. I actually didn't notice this until now, can't believe I missed it. (It's not even fixed in the NeoLemmix version.) o_O
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
Mild 13: Take a Shortcut!

80 Lemmings
50%(40) to save
RR50
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: A straightforward level that makes people think of how to get there the short way.

Bad: Nothing really.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
No one's wanting to keep this going...? :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
I don't mind. It depends if anyone else wants to keep this going.

Mild 14: Let's Go!
Save: 40
Release rate: 50
Time: 7 minutes

Good: Has plenty of solutions, and a big time limit. Doesn't require 100%.
Bad: Steepens the learning curve too much with the high exit position, high release rate, elevated walls and the water. Ideally should be placed in late Mild or mid Wimpy. With just pipes and squares, it doesn't look very appealing visually.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Now that we've moved over, it's time to continue this review.

Make sure you download V9 of LPDOS. Well, you don't have to, but V9 has a lot of improved features for Lemmix (such as password on fail screen, selecting skills with mouse when pausing, and especially DOS sounds.)

Mild 15 - On the Other Side
20 of each skill
40 Lemmings, 60% to be saved
Release Rate 1
6 minutes

Good: This one has multiple approaches. You could even dig under the water.
Bad: I'm not sure about the level strongly resembling Fun 15 (along with it being the same position number).

Also, a suggestion: the Level Review topics (both official games and Fangames) should have their own sub-forum.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:53:21 AM by DynaLem »

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Mild 16: Farewell, My Lemming

80 Lemmings
25%(20) to save
RR99
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: A level that introduces the release rate of 99.

Bad: Nothing really.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »

Mild 17 - Crying Over Spilt Lemming
70 lemmings, 50% to be saved
Release Rate 10
5 minutes
10 of each skill

Good: This level is a proper refresher to one-way walls, unlike Mild 10 and 13. It's also another multiple approach level; you could even build to the wall without your lemmings splatting on the other side. The mix of thin and thick platforms also adds to the challenge for some solutions. This level is also the first Fire level.

Bad: The level is similar to Fun 11 and Tricky 20, but as I said above, you can build over the wall and not worry about the lemmings splatting due to the short fall distance.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »
Mild 18: Dying Not Recommended

40 Lemmings
50%(20) to save
RR 30
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: A level that gets a beginner player thinking of ways for how to go around(not that this pack is a beginner pack, it definitely isn't).

Bad: Pretty simple, but then again, it is "mild".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:47:05 PM by exit »

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
Well, it's been 48 hours, so I've decided to continue.

Mild 19: Up To Where We Go

60 Lemmings
70%(42) to save
RR 50
6 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: This level takes a jump in difficulty and gets the player thinking.

Bad: Nothing at all.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »
Mild 20: Stairway to Infinity

Lemmings: 25
Save: 80% = 20 lemmings
Release Rate: 20
Time: 9 minutes
Skills: 20 of everything

Good: Another level, where all skills are useful, but none is required. Due to many different solutions, this is a good level for challenges.
Okay: The author is praising himself there, isn't he?
Bad: I do not know, how one can spend 9 minutes solving such a small level. It is quite similar to Mild 7 - The Staircase.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:11:01 PM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
Okay: The author is praising himself there, isn't he?

As a point of interest, there were at least two or three other people's names there, before I got sick of changing it after various falling-outs and whatnot so just put myself there instead. :P

The version on the Lemmings Levelpack Database shows one such variant, IIRC it says "Kayla Is Awesome" in this version.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »

Mild 21: Falling Away From Everything...
20 Lemmings, 80% (16) to be saved
Release Rate 50
6 Minutes
20 of everything

Good: This one has an excellent and frightening visual design, and gives you the feeling that you are really in the Underworld. I also like the choices of words in the level. Like many other levels, this one also has multiple approaches in how to hold back the lemmings and how to get around the fire.

Bad: There's lots of building at the end with the six gaps.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »
Mild 22: Blow Down!

Lemmings: 25
Save: 20% = 5 lemmings
Skills: 20 bombers (and 20 blockers in the first versions)

Good: The bomber tutorial, which forces the player to acknowledge the advantages of instant bombers.
Okay: After Mild 17, 19, 20 and 21 finally a more friendly looking level without lava at the bottom.
Bad: As a rather easy tutorial level it would not have hurt to place it earlier.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:29:03 PM by Nepster »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
Another thing about Mild 22 is that the level could have also been done without the blockers. The blockers aren't present in the NeoLemmix version, but that version is consider unofficial. LPI now removes the blockers from that level.

Mild 23: Step Softly...

80 Lemmings, 60% (48) to be saved
Release Rate 50
5 minutes
20 of everything

Good: Another great multiple-approach level with two trapdoors. What makes this level fun is that I love to take this in a non-builder approach. This will be essential for its repeat, Danger 19 "Antigravity".
Bad: Taking the builder approach (i.e. build to the highest ledge from the bottom right of the level) takes away the fun of this level.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:52:26 AM by DynaLem »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »
Yes, the blockers in Mild 22 seem to be relic from the first releases of LPDOS, which still used times bombers.

Mild 24: With a Little Creativity...

Save: 50% = 25 lemmings

Good: There are quite a few different solutions, but none that is obvious for non-experts. The skill set and the terrain layout forgive the player several mistakes like digging too deep or bashing too far beyond the exit.
Okay: The older versions, that were not yet based on the NeoLemmix engine, are good for studying glitches/odd behaviours in Lemmings, e.g. try saving 48 lemmings with only 1 blocker, 1 bomber and 2 bashers.
Bad: Rather bland level without much decoration.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:32:32 PM by Nepster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 11:31:04 PM »
Yes, the blockers in Mild 22 seem to be relic from the first releases of LPDOS, which still used times bombers.

This.
When the bombers were changed to instant, the skillsets weren't changed to match. Only the NeoLemmix version changes them (though on some levels, such as Medi 5, it still keeps them).

As for your challenge - quite simple for the more advanced players. How about 94% only using any two skills from your list? ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 01:44:33 AM »
With the announcement that the LPDOS/LPII/LPIIBonus levels are officially transitioning to NeoLemmix, we'll have to continue the game from the NeoLemmix version of LPDOS once the NeoLemmix version is out. But for now, we can continue in V10 since there aren't really any differences in a majority of the levels between the Traditional and Neo versions. EDIT: The official NeoLemmix version of LPDOS is now released and is now known as Lemmings Plus I.

However, the following level came from V10 of LPDOS.

Mild 25: Across the Ditch
53 Lemmings, 58% (31) to be saved
Release Rate 5
5 minutes
20 of each skill

Good: Another level with an excellent visual design in the Crystal style. Also, I find it to be a welcome change to use a random number for number of lemmings and the percentage to be saved, as opposed to using numbers that usually have a "0" or "5" in the ones digit.
Bad: Another out-of-place level that could work in Mild 11-20.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:47:07 AM by DynaLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 06:07:33 AM »
The only changes in levels that have been covered so far that relate to things mentioned in the review are:

Mild 8 - That pesky not-behind-the-steel-block acid is fixed.
Mild 22 - Those redundant blockers are no longer there.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »
I have edited my previous reviews slightly to account for the change to NeoLemmix.

Mild 26: No Salvation I

Save: 50% = 25 lemmings
Release Rate: 99
Skills: 10 of everything

Good: Many, many solutions to choose from...
Bad: ...but directly building to the exit works. Looks a bit messy.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:15 AM »

Mild 27 - The Quarantine
80 Lemmings
50% (40) to be saved
Release Rate 99
5 minutes
30 of each skill

Good: A really great level! This level seems to borrow elements from Fun 9 "As long as you try your best" due to the 99 release rate, the column and the shredders. This is also a great step-up in challenge; you need to find ways to trap your lemmings safely while one builds to the exit.
Bad: Even for a level that is a slight increase in difficulty, I still think 30 of each is a lot.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »

Mild 28 - The Descending Pillar Scenario
80 Lemmings
50% (40) to be Saved
Release Rate 1
7 minutes
20 of everything

Good:A nice change in difficulty after two levels of slightly increased difficulty. Another multiple solution level. I like the title too and how it refers to Taxing 11 "The Ascending Pillar Scenario".
Bad:However, the title is somewhat misleading, since you do not necessarily have to descend down the pillars when you can just dig and mine down from the top.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
Concerning Mild 28: The spoiler is not absolutely correct, unless

Mild 29: We All Die Someday (but hopefully not today ;))

Lemmings: 30
Save: 70% = 21 lemmings

Good: A breather level before the final Mild-level in the rarely used rock style of ONML.
Okay: Watch out for the trap!
Bad: One of the less inspired levels, where most solutions will rely heavily on building. The level is not really an eye-candy with the uniform gray-brown of the rocks.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
Mild 28:

Mild 30 - You Just Lost the Game!!!
50 lemmings
50% (25) to be saved
Release Rate 50
5 Minutes
20 of each skill

Good: Indeed, this is a solid way to end the Mild rank; there are many obstacles to get around, and there are no easy solutions. We finally get our first Snow level of this rank, too! It's also a challenge to get 100% on this one.

Bad: There really isn't anything bad about this level.

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Let's continue doing this after all years of inactivity! :thumbsup:

Wimpy 1 - Lemming Net
50 lemmings
50% (25) to be saved
Release Rate 75
15 of each skill

Good: I like the compact feel of the level and that the Lemmings have to cross the net (as the name implies) from the west nest to the right one.

Bad: It's A LOT easier than the previous level and any of the solutions doesn't really feel satisfying. The metal blocks in the top doesn't seem to fit that well and I would like the level a lot more if the Lemmings could actually die from falling through the small crack in them (even though it teaches the player about that stars in Lemmings can be walked on).
YouTube channel about retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »

Wimpy 2 - Lucky Charm

Lemmings: 20
Save: 16
Skills: 10 of every skill

Good: Interesting step up in difficulty with a higher save requirement, higher release rate, and lower skill count. The layout also creates an interesting challenge as it isn't as safe as Wimpy 1 and it is easy to get lemmings trapped and/or killed.
Bad: I honestly don't have anything negative to say about this level. I guess if I had to absolutely be nitpicky I can say that this level is still a step down in difficulty when compared to the last of Mild ???

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 02:05:42 AM »

Wimpy 3 - Just For Fun

Lemmings: 40
Save: 36
Release Rate: 80

Good: This is a nice-looking level. The properties of the net aren't important to a "regular" solution, but come into play if you go for saving 100%.
Bad: The regular solution is virtually the same as the previous level; the only difference is you build before bashing instead of the other way around.

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

Wimpy 4 - Saviour

Save: 64

Good: The name of the level directly reflects the solution which I really like. The flow of first trying to save the Lemmings to the right while also making the Lemmings to the left turn around is really good and fits the beginning of Wimpy very good.
Bad: Maybe a little too many Lemmings that can die during the level? Since we have so many skills in our arsenal it would be fun to let the player get creative in saving a few more lemmings instead of killing of the hero Lemming without any doubt.
YouTube channel about retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »

Wimpy 5 - Get Together

Save: 16
Release Rate: 1

Good: Nice little puzzle revolving around getting the lemmings from the top portion of the level to the bottom. The level allows for multiple ways to go about this which makes it more interesting than the previous level.
Bad: Not much to say but (Nitpicky warning!) it's not much more difficult than the previous level.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 01:39:25 AM »

Wimpy 6 - Two Pathways

Save: 64 (80%)
Release Rate: 50*
Skills: 20 of every skill

:tal-silver: A Skill For Every Path: Complete with max 2 total skills

*This is new-style release rate. As I'm playing the pack on new formats, I will only quote the new-style RR from now on.

Good: A fun puzzle with a variety of possible approaches. Saving 100% is a nice challenge as the thin terrain doesn't lend itself to crowd control.
Bad: The talisman, while interesting, is too easy for silver; with only two skills allowed there's only really one possibility. Also, the top-left exit, while needed for symmetry, is hardly ever going to be used as it's so much easier to send both groups to the lower exit.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 01:43:54 AM »

Wimpy 7 - No Salvation II

Lemmings: 40
Save: 24
Skills: 8 of every skill

Good: Now that you have minus 2 of each skill players are forced to re-evaluate their strategy for these levels slightly...
Bad: ...but maybe too slightly as most solutions in the first version of this level would most likely not go beyond the 8 skills anyway.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 03:32:44 PM »
I think we should continue this game, and see if we can revive the review games in general! :P For one thing, there are several new forum members who may be interested in participating, and LPI is one of the easier custom packs so the barrier to entry is fairly low. For another, it's a great way for a pack creator to get feedback on every level, when normally feedback concentrates on the levels that are more interesting (or more backroutable!)

Wimpy 8 - (Also, they are ninjas.)

To save: 16
Release rate: 60
Skills: 10 each of bombers, blockers, builders, bashers, miners, diggers.

Good: Nice-looking symmetrical design, very clean after the visual clutter of the previous level. The lack of climbers and floaters forces you to find other ways to get one crowd up and the other down.
Bad: The solution is very simple and doesn't test the player to go beyond what they've already had to do to solve preceding levels.

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
Wimpy 9 - It's A Thin Line!

Lemmings: 60
To save: 54
Release rate: 85
Skills: 30 of each Climbers, Floaters, Bombers, Blockers, Builders, Bashers, Miners, Diggers

Good: Nice gentle introduction to building to walls to bash through it. As a tutorial level, I like that focus was placed on it by making containing the crowd a comparatively simple affair.
Bad: Visual design is a simple. Not the best use of space, since the active play area is entirely in the top half.
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 02:11:32 AM »
Wimpy 10 - Labyrinth of Despair

To save: 72
Release rate: 80
Skills: 30 of every skill except Floaters which is 5

Good: One of my favorites from this rank. The fact that you don't have a lot of floaters now presents the challenge of having to navigate some pretty tricky terrain to not only save the lemmings from the hatch on the right but also make sure you don't accidentally crave out a path that leads to lethal falls as well.
Bad: Not much to say. I guess having 30 of all the other skills does neglect the need to conserve or use your skills wisely so it becomes less of a puzzle since any type of mistake can be easily fixed or any type of strategy can be executed. Then again this is only the second rank so this is without a doubt a nitpicky thing :cute:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »
Wimpy 11 - The Flagpole

To saveL: 40
Release rate: 75
Skills: 5 climbers, 5 floaters, 3 bombers, 3 blockers, 1 builder, 5 bashers

Good: A nice simple introduction to a useful trick: bombing a climber so a later climber has a starting-point for other skills. The limited skillset helps focus on the trick so the new player will easily discover it.
Bad: There is a more devious solution, which will be required on the later repeat (Danger 25, "Use the Pen!") but is possible on this level. I consider that a bad thing because if the player does find this solution here, the later level will feel like a pointless rehash. This could have been prevented by trimming the skillset to only the skills needed by the climb-bomber solution.

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 10:53:21 PM »
Wimpy 12 - Only One Place To Go

To save: 49
Skills: 2 Climbers, 1 Bomber, 1 Blocker, 1 Builder, 3 Bashers, 1 Digger

Good: One of my favourites from Wimpy. I like that it escalates Mild 6 in a way that's immediately understood: there's two groups but only one digger. The talisman is great and results in a cool discovery for new players (like me) who didn't consider combining skills in that way.
Bad: Decoration is sparse. Ultimately, the talisman solution is much simpler than the 'regular' solution, so if an experienced player spots that solution first, it renders the puzzle trivial by comparison.
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 12:36:06 AM »
Wimpy 13 - A Magician Would Be Handy

To save: 40
Skills: 40 of every skill

Good: This level introduces you to some pretty extreme obstacles such as having to build up to really high places, manage and prevent lethal falls, and having to figure out a way to dig out a ceiling of terrain to reach the exit without any proper upward destructive skills. However, the level does give you a very large skillset that allows players to freely experiment with them and start figuring out some more advanced strategies and tricks all on their own and without having their hand held.
Bad: I wouldn't say this is a "bad" thing but I guess for this level still being early on in Wimpy it can be a bit intimating for new players especially if they somehow don't learn any new tricks and they just brute force through everything.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 02:07:49 AM »
Trivia concerning the above level: if I remember rightly, it was originally intended as a showcase for glitching through the steel (hence the title), which of course became impossible in NeoLemmix. I don't know if the skillset was changed to accommodate, or if both solutions were originally possible.

Wimpy 14 - Head East or West?

To save: 64
Release rate: 60
Skills: 40 of each

Good: A fairly nice-looking level with a good concept: having two roughly equally attractive solutions gives the level some replay value and encourages the player to find both.
Bad: Whichever way you go, this is a massive breather -- the easiest level since Wimpy 1. The routes are not all that equal, since the east route involves building over a large gap (albeit this is quicker in NeoLemmix, with the 10-second skip).

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2020, 01:07:42 AM »
Wimpy 15: Just When You Think You Know!

To save: 5
Release rate: 99
Skills: 20 of every skill

Good: Given the strange shape and structure of the terrain it provides an interesting challenge of having to control the crowd in a way where just simply placing blockers to control the crowd is no longer the most ideal strategy especially considering the 99 release rate.
Bad: I want to say that the terrain is a double edge sword because without any knowledge of this level's repeat (which you shouldn't have anyway when playing this level for the first time), the terrain seems a bit... random? Like I guess another way to reword is to say that the level definitely does feel like an easier repeat of something which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does diminish this incarnation a little bit once you solve the harder version of this level.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2020, 01:32:45 AM »
Wimpy 16: Lemmings On Stilts

Lemmings: 13
To save: 9
Skills: 25 of every skill

Good: The level has the look and feel of a classic Lemmings level, which I think is always a positive. The solution is immediately obvious and there are plenty of skills to execute it, plus there's some room to experiment with different ways of solving the level. It's also possible and easy to save all of the Lemmings despite the limited terrain and the need to contain the crowd immediately at the start.

Bad: There's nothing really bad about this level at all: it's good early-pack level. I like these sorts of levels that help a player to build momentum and confidence whilst making their way through the pack. If there's room for improvement anywhere, it could perhaps be a bit of a longer level or have more to do than simply build across the gaps, given the sheer number of skills available. But, again - its an early-pack level and it's a simple idea done well. Level packs need these!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2020, 01:52:02 AM »
Wimpy 17: No Need To Worry!

To save: 64

:tal-silver: Screw Your Arrows: Save 79 with max 1 builder

Good: This is a competently done one-way-wall level that has a bit more to it than just "get to the other side, then bash" -- but it still isn't too hard and has several possible approaches, fitting into the difficulty curve of the pack. The talisman is excellent because it looks completely impossible at first, but has a nice solution that teaches you a trick that will be useful on other levels.

Bad: Looks a bit plain, especially the repetitive ceiling architecture.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 12:57:33 AM »
Wimpy 18: Down The Wall

To save: 45
Skills: 20 of every skill except floaters

Good: The lack of floaters makes for an interesting puzzle revolving around trying to get a large crowd of lemmings safely down the level. There are many, many ways to go about it and all of them are unique.
Bad: Just a personal preference but the small red pillar terrain towards the center doesn't look like much at first but it's possible to use it for more trivial solutions that completely skip using the wall that the title of the level is referring to.