Author Topic: Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)  (Read 35337 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:23:42 AM »
This Level Review game will be for namida's Lemmings Plus I, formerly known as Lemmings Plus DOS Project.

Download link: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lpi.zip
Level maps: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lpi.html (make sure you copy the image link from the image)

NOTE: If a person doesn't review within 48 hours of the last reviewer's post, then double-posting is allowed.

Here we go!

Mild 1 - Just Walk!
10 Lemmings,, save 10%
Release Rate 50
5 Minutes
0 of each skill

Good: An interesting, simple and amusing way to begin the level pack - the lemmings just simply walk into the exit. 
Bad: This level could be seen as a filler level, but not for me. If this level were placed in any other position, then it would really be a filler level.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:46:20 AM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Level Review - Lemmings Plus DOS Project
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
Mild 2: Be Careful

Lemmings: 80
Save: 20%
Release Rate: 20
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 30 each

Good: At least it's in the right difficulty area. Nice-looking design.
Bad: As all the skills are there, it should really be the opportunity for the player to practise each skill, therefore the floaters and bashers are not necessary in this case.

Edit: Tried to add image, but I can't see it on my browser. ???
Got it now. Thanks namida! :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »
I don't see it either. Where did you get the image from? Did you use the one from Lemmings Level Database? You can use the images that namida provided me in the link on the first post.

Mild 3: Heading on in...

50 Lemmings, 50% to save
Release Rate 50
5 minutes
20 of each skill

Good: Despite the simple layout, the release rate actually adds a slight challenge to it. Unlike the previous level, you have the opportunity to use all the skills, and there are multiple approaches to the level. The level also works very well as an early Mild level.
Bad: Not enough decoration? I'm not sure, there are many great levels without the need for decoration. Maybe that the level does not have a repeat?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:45:13 AM by namida »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
Looks like you guys have decided what we're doing. I'll probably get around to a review later today.

Gosh, I somehow totally forgot about this. Sorry. :-[

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:15:20 AM »
Okay, here's a simple way to do the images:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelimg/lpi/XXXX.png[/img]
Where XXXX is the level rank and position. EG: For Wimpy 20, you'd put 0220. For PSYCHO 7, 0507. Etc.

It has all the images, so you don't have to worry about if the level's a repeat or anything like that.
(Just as a point of interest, this works for the other Lemmings Plus packs too except LPIII Bonus (I'll do those once the levels are finalised), just change "lpi" to any of "lpii", "lpiibonus" or "lpiii".)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:46:01 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
MILD 4: In The Style of ...

80 Lemmings
50%(40) to save
6 Minutes
20 of everything

Good: A very simple level with quite a few solutions.

Bad: (this is really minor) Easier than the last few because it has no immediate threat.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
Mild 5: The Graveyard

Lemmings: 50
Save: 40% (20)
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 20 of each

Good: Forces the player to get to know the death fall in LPDOS. Fortunately there's also various different ways to cope with this issue. So far the most diverse level in this level pack both with its solutions and somewhat detailed landscape.

Bad: Is trickier than many, many levels after it. Also, this is the fifth level in this pack which uses 9 different tilesets, and this level is already the third Dirt level.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:34 AM »
Mild 6: The Cells

50 Lemmings
60%(40) to save
5 Minutes
Twenty of everything.

Good: Another relatively simple level, but you can easily mess up.

Bad: I feel like an inexperienced player would probably start panicking at the sign of the lemmings splatting, so it could be a bit startling at first(not saying I've never done that).

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Is it okay to double-post on a level review topic if people haven't lately? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'm not sure.

Mild 7: The Staircase

50 Lemmings
60%(40) to save
5 Minutes
20 of everything

Good: Level is simple with very minimalistic design.

Bad: I feel like this is a bit easier than the past few levels, just because all that you have to do is build up.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
Is trickier than many, many levels after it. Also, this is the fifth level in this pack which uses 9 different tilesets, and this level is already the third Dirt level.
Also, very few of the levels use the Rock and Bubble tilesets. In fact, there's not a lot of ONML tilesets aside from the Brick ones.

Is it okay to double-post on a level review topic if people haven't lately? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'm not sure.
Good question. I've noticed Akseli did this in the DoveLems topic too. It should be fine unless someone objects.

Mild 8: Wish you had them?
50 lemmings, 40% to be saved
Release Rate 50
5 minutes
10 of everything except bashers

Good: A very good simple level with a twist, as it teaches you to use other skills when you don't have the single skill that helps you get through that wall easily. The thin poles also add to the challenge. Nice title, too.

Bad: The acid is over the steel block on the right and there doesn't seems to be anything on the right side of the acid. Now fixed in LPI.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:15:58 AM by DynaLem »

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Mild 9: Tricky Hit

40 Lemmings
50%(20) to save
(Oops, I've been forgetting to add the release rate)RR50
5 Minutes
20 of Everything

Good: Simple level

Bad: Too simple. And the sparse use of decoration(I only count the chameleon) and the lack of variety in the terrain(there's only four different pieces used) threw me off a bit when I first played it.

Hope that one wasn't too harsh.

In fact, there's not a lot of ONML tilesets aside from the brick ones.
I find it somewhat hard to make good non-buildery levels out of the snow and bubble tilesets, and I only think of good rock levels once in a while. So I don't blame namida completely.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 12:46:18 AM »
Bad: Is trickier than many, many levels after it. Also, this is the fifth level in this pack which uses 9 different tilesets, and this level is already the third Dirt level.

Also, very few of the levels use the Rock and Bubble tilesets. In fact, there's not a lot of ONML tilesets aside from the Brick ones.
Yeah, I missed other ONML tilesets in this level set. It is level designer's strength if he/she is capable of mastering different tilesets equally and creating good levels with all of them. That impresses me in level designing scene in general. I downloaded a while ago a spreadsheet from LPDOS topic consisting of all LPDOS levels and there were amounts of used tilesets also, I don't know if the spreadsheet is available there anymore, but I have it if someone is interested.

Good question. I've noticed Akseli did this in the DoveLems topic too. It should be fine unless someone objects.
Yes in my opinion, too. Double-posting should be fine if it doesn't happen, for example, within 48 hours. That gives some time for other people to review the next level if they want to. If there's no activity for several days then there's no need to postpone reviewing if one doesn't want to. :)

Mild 10 - Take Your Time...

Lemmings: 10
Save: 100% (10)
Release Rate: 50
Skills: 10 climbers

Good: For the first time forces you to both use climbers and save every lemming. The title is really fitting for a Lemmings level. :P

Okay: An okay-looking, minimalistic level after few really crude ones. Has a bit awkwardly (again putting this individual level in a bigger perspective in the entire pack) only one type of skill, whereas nearly all the levels around it tend to have x-of-every-skill.

Bad: The first level to introduce oneway-walls, but in a very sloppy way, because it's essential only in the repeat level. Here that one-pixel wide platform in the middle and the unaesthetic middle wall don't serve a purpose.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:59 AM »
Yeah, I missed other ONML tilesets in this level set. It is level designer's strength if he/she is capable of mastering different tilesets equally and creating good levels with all of them. That impresses me in level designing scene in general. I downloaded a while ago a spreadsheet from LPDOS topic consisting of all LPDOS levels and there were amounts of used tilesets also, I don't know if the spreadsheet is available there anymore, but I have it if someone is interested. 

It's interesting how one of the levels that namida removed in V7 was "The Lonely Pole", which uses the Rock tileset.

I've seen the LPDOS spreadsheet before, and it follows a similar structure to the one from DoveLems. Go ahead and post it.

Yes in my opinion, too. Double-posting should be fine if it doesn't happen, for example, within 48 hours. That gives some time for other people to review the next level if they want to. If there's no activity for several days then there's no need to postpone reviewing if one doesn't want to. :)

Thanks. Now noted on the first post. If another person doesn't review within the next 48 hours, then double posting is allowed. However, I'm not sure about triple-posting or above. That wouldn't be fair to others...

Mild 11: Cliff Climber Lemming
60 lemmings, 50% (30) to be saved
Release rate 20
8 minutes minutes
20 of each skill

Good: A builder level with a twist, due to the bumpy rocks and that you need to find a way around them to get to the exit. I like how the tree is also used for more than decoration purposes.

Bad: The level can be frustrating to new players, and is a little harder than the next few Mild levels.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »

Mild 12: On the Pier
Lemmings: 50
Save: 40
Release rate: 1
Skills: 20 of each

Good: Great use of a simple task, to get the lemmings down safely to the bottom without splatting. Has a long list of solutions too, which is perfect for Mild, and ideal for challenges
Bad: The wall below the logs could be smoothed out a bit more to attract basher solutions, otherwise not much else. :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
(Mild 8)
Bad: The acid is over the steel block on the right and there doesn't seems to be anything on the right side of the acid.

Wow. I actually didn't notice this until now, can't believe I missed it. (It's not even fixed in the NeoLemmix version.) o_O
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)