Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [Stable released]  (Read 16307 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC3 update released]
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2020, 03:48:31 AM »
For those who don't know, the save requirement and release rate icons use the Fire hatch and exit because namida asked someone to name one of the original styles, without saying what it would be used for :P I think it's not a good choice because the Fire exit is quite unlike most exits, and new players might not recognise it as an exit at first. I would suggest choosing one of Pillar, Marble or Brick (not Dirt just because that I feel that one is a bit overused as "the generic exit").

I agree: the exit we choose for this should be one that's very standard-looking. In addition to these styles, I'd say Crystal might also be worth considering, and agree that Dirt is a bit overused as "the generic exit," also despite the fact that it, alongside Fire, has a unique design (whereas Pillar, Crystal, and Marble basically are all just the same design in different materials), although it's still much closer to a standard exit than Fire is.

Though perhaps narrowing it down is a good idea. Perhaps Pillar?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2020, 04:13:19 AM »
My personal preference would be Crystal, but I'm not that fussed. My only outright rule is it should either be an L1 exit (ohno / etc included), or a clearly-identifiable-as-an-exit L2 exit.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2020, 04:34:50 AM »
I have no objections to Crystal.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
More-spaced preview screen. This adds an extra half-line to every gap. Not sure how I personally feel about it.

I haven't yet tried anything re: placement of talismans on this.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:42:28 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
I for one have always liked a more spaced-out preview screen! :thumbsup: If you recall, one of my main gripes about the early New-Formats versions was that all the text was cramped together so tightly in the middle. This has already been slightly increased in the meantime, but I wouldn't mind a little more, as you're showing it here.

The addition of the buttons at the bottom also does its part in filling up the empty screen a little more. In most cases, i.e. within a level pack where all the levels are by the same author, and assuming that most levels won't have time limits, I'm confident there will still be more than enough empty space on the screen to leave it "uncluttered": Most levels will only have the "Lemmings + Neutrals + Zombies" line plus the "To-Be-Saved" Line, then quite a large gap, and then the buttons at the bottom.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
^ Where would you put the talismans on this layout?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
Fair question. I rarely think of those, because I usually don't care much about talismans - but of course, even I have started putting more and more into my packs.

Maybe the talisman info could fit more onto the side - but I'd also be fine with slightly less space between the lines again so that the talisman info can be placed in additional lines.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »
Maybe the talisman info could fit more onto the side - but I'd also be fine with slightly less space between the lines again so that the talisman info can be placed in additional lines.

So in other words - pretty much the status quo, except with a bit more spacing between the level preview and the title? (See first two screenshots in reply 23)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
Yep, seems fine by me! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC4 update released]
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2020, 11:55:14 PM »
RC4 update. A few bugfixes, a couple of minor quality-of-life features, one cosmetic tweak.

Attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from any version V12.10.0-RC1 or higher. Otherwise, see first post for full download (and detailed changelog).
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2020, 03:39:39 PM »
I've fixed up United's rank sign today and here is what I learned:

Remember to change the 3 names: "sign_rank" --> "sign_group", "sign_code" --> "sign_level_select" and in the case of your rank graphics: "rank_graphic" --> "group_graphic"

The rank graphic of the rank sign is centered lower due to the lemming head holding the sign. The centered position is now lower due to the increase in height. This adds a thing people need to think about when arranging the rank sign and rank graphic.

For the following steps keep in mind that I wanted to keep my old smaller size (120x63) as I think it still looks very nice this way for United.

I used paint.net for the following steps:

- Cut out the arrows of your rank sign and make them seperate graphics with the names from namida's description ("sign_group_up/down"). Put your normal sign color in the place where the arrows were in your sign. Done!

If your rank graphic with the arrows is now not centered in the rank sign anymore do the following:

- Open the sign graphic and add additional empty space to the picture (do not stretch it!) so that it has the new size of 120x87 pixels. Paint.net will make the newly added space transparent.

- Select + Move the rank sign to the bottom of the picture again and then 5 pixels upwards. Warning: 5 pixels the the ammount for signs with no lemmings holding them. If you got lemmings holding your signs you might need to adjust this number. Adjust it in such a way that the arrows and rankgraphics are located in the middle of your sign!

- Repeat for every custom sign (usually 5) as they all should be in alinged.

Again, this is under the assumption you want to stay with the old 120x63 sign size. I think the smaller ones still look good, but it's up to you. :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
Remember to change the 3 names: "sign_rank" --> "sign_group", "sign_code" --> "sign_level_select" and in the case of your rank graphics: "rank_graphic" --> "group_graphic"

With this being said, except for "sign_rank" (as the graphic itself is incompatible; whereas the other two are just bringing the names up to date with modern NL terminology / features), the old names remain supported for now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
RC4 update. A few bugfixes, a couple of minor quality-of-life features, one cosmetic tweak.

Attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from any version V12.10.0-RC1 or higher. Otherwise, see first post for full download (and detailed changelog).

I like the spacing on the level preview screen, and I also like the little pop out window for the talisman requirement. Looks good :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2020, 04:43:13 AM »
Couple of changes to the level select icons:
- Locked RR; the padlock bar has been made taller.
- Save requirement; this now uses the orig_crystal exit instead of the orig_fire one.

Regarding the choice of orig_crystal: My reasoning was, Fire really is a bit too unusual to use for this (it was only ever really meant to be a placeholder), Dirt and Pillar are both far too overused as "generic" exits. The Ohno ones are all a bit unusual too, and Sega might not be recognizable enough. Between the two remaining contenders; my logic was "Dirt is by far the more overused-as-generic, and Marble looks more like that one, so I'll use Crystal".

This still should not be considered "indisputably final" - they'll be used if nothing better comes up, but at this point in time discussion remains open.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2020, 07:22:58 AM »
Dirt is by far the more overused-as-generic, and Marble looks more like that one

The Marble exit only looks vaguely like the Dirt one -- the brickwork is very distinct from the mound of dirt -- whereas the Crystal exit is a palette swap of Pillar :P

Regardless of which one we go with, the hatch should match the exit.

As for the level preview screen, I prefer the way it looks now over the 1.5-spaced version; I'm even starting to feel okay about keeping the talisman icons where they are. The one thing I really would like to change is for the space between the level image and the text to be filled with more of the dirt background, not black.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:31:20 AM by Proxima »