Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [Stable released]  (Read 16649 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC4 update released]
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2020, 07:36:16 AM »
As for the level preview screen, I prefer the way it looks now over the 1.5-spaced version

Just to avoid confusion: The spacing increase in those screenshots was 1.5 -> 2, not 1 -> 1.5. (or 0.5 -> 1, not 0 -> 0.5, depending on how you want to look at it)

The one thing I really would like to change is for the space between the level image and the text to be filled with more of the dirt background, not black.

That level isn't the best for illustrating this aspect. How about this screenshot?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
Yeah, this is running into the same problem again. If we have to leave space for the author, time limit and talismans, then when none of those are present, the empty space looks wrong. But I don't think the solution is to increase the space between all the lines -- it looks better to keep the spacing as it is, but move the whole thing about one line down. And that only works if we either move the talisman information somewhere else, or maybe remove the time limit... I don't think that suggestion will go down too well, though.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »
What I was getting at with that screenshot, is specifically the gap between the level preview and the title - it won't be filled with black, unless (a) the level actually has black at the bottom (which was the case in the earlier screenshots), or (b) the level is so wide relative to height, that when shrunk to fit, the limiting factor is the preview area's width rather than its height.

Or to describe it more technically - the preview area, which gets blacked out, is 864 x 160. The level image will be resized, keeping aspect ratio (no cropping), so that it's no more than 864px wide and no more than 160px tall. This resized image is drawn, centered, in the blacked out area. More often than not, the level image comes out as 160px tall, and <less than 864px> wide.

Time limit definitely needs to stay on the preview screen. It's rare and significant enough that it should have this kind of attention drawn to it. If we did want to reduce the number of (potential) lines, one option could be to move the author onto the same line as the rank / level number?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2020, 06:44:57 PM »
Seems like I'm the only one who wants the "click on empty space to get to the level preview screen" back. Do you think there should be a poll asking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »
I haven't heard anyone (other than myself, and my opinion on it is only a very weak one) speak against it, so I'll more likely just go ahead and reimplement it rather than doing a poll, unless people come out and say "no, please don't put it back".
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »
Postview screen texts. While fixing a bug, I felt it could also use some more spacing like the preview screen.

I moved the time taken / records below the postview message. With the extra padding, the empty space between lemmings saved/required/record and the postview message felt too large, in cases where the user failed to complete the level (and thus, no time is displayed). I did consider "don't have a gap; move postview text downwards on successful attempts to make room", but this felt awkward to me. Perma-moving the time stuff below the postview texts feels a tad awkward too, but not as much so, and Proxima said it feels fine to him (on Discord). Removing time-related info altogether is also an option.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
This looks better! :thumbsup:

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2020, 06:54:47 PM »
My thoughts on the postview screen issue:

The completion message ("That level seemed no problem to you on that attempt" or whatever) naturally belongs with the number saved, so it feels natural to have that next, followed by the time stats. It's also good to have this relatively high up on the screen so it catches the player's eye more readily. I think the way it looks in the above screenshots is good. Also, the screen is relatively sparser if you fail a level (you won't get the time stats) and this contributes to the failure screen feeling more negative (which is good, because then when you succeed, you feel more positive). The original game had something similar because you only got a level password if you succeded.

In discord last night, we discussed the possibility of talisman icons on the postview screen. My view is that, if possible, it would be good for the postview screen to show all the talisman icons for the current level, so that if you earn a talisman, you get a reminder of how many exist and how many of them you've achieved. (Maybe only display the icons after an attempt that earns one?)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2020, 07:17:34 PM »
Has the text on the post-level screen been shrunk? It looks much narrower and more in the centre.

I'm not a fan of this. Again, too much empty space, in this case on the sides (and for what purpose?).
I'm used to the post-level text spanning the entire width of the screen. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
Has the text on the post-level screen been shrunk? It looks much narrower and more in the centre.

I'm not a fan of this. Again, too much empty space, in this case on the sides (and for what purpose?).
I'm used to the post-level text spanning the entire width of the screen. ;)

No. The only changes, aside from the NL-wide changes to menu screens (widescreen, clickable elements, taller font) are (a) time records moved below the postview text, and (b) more spacing between lines / segments added.

What this would mean, is you can have longer lines in your postview texts now. This is not a specifically intended, direct change to the postview screen itself; but rather, a consequence of that the internal size of menu screens (including postview) is wider but the font is the same width it's always been. To be clear, by "not specifically intended", I just mean that I didn't go out of my way to make the postview screen allow wider texts; I do not in any way mean "you shouldn't do this" - you absolutely may make use of it, it's an officially supported thing from 12.10 onwards.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2020, 01:24:48 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for (or feedback on) the icon used in the level select menu for records?

To be clear, I'm talking about the graphic itself. Well aware that it needs to be clearer that it's clickable - this is already sorted in the source code.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC3 update released]
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2020, 02:18:49 AM »
Glad you like it :D Here's a link to everything... "Chicle - Light Shading" contains the chicle font buttons just for you :thumbsup:

Aw, gee! Thanks, zanzindorf! :thumbsup: It's great to know that these are compiled separately for future possible customisation. It seems everyone is happy with the cards as they are now so hopefully no further tweaks will need to be made.

I'll take another look at the hair. The problem I'm running into with the logo is the height.

Actually, I'd say it's more that the hair needs a bit of width rather than height, particularly the lem on the left. It's a really minor point though and I'm only really mentioning it because now's the time to make those sorts of tweaks whilst everything's still in development. For the record, the logo and everything else look absolutely awesome as they are, so any further improvements are a bonus :lemcat:

pretty much the status quo, except with a bit more spacing between the level preview and the title? (See first two screenshots in reply 23)

+1 for this - the first 2 screenshots in reply 23 look just fine to me, in terms of spacing and everything. If it's possible to have a different layout for levels without talismans then I'd say just move everything down a few lines to centralise it (rather than adding extra space between each line, which looks a bit messy) for only those levels without talismans. I have no objection to there simply being a gap though, if multiple layouts (i.e. depending on presence or not of talisman) are not possible/too difficult to be worth implementing.

Save requirement; this now uses the orig_crystal exit instead of the orig_fire one.

Yay! :lemcat:

Does anyone have suggestions for (or feedback on) the icon used in the level select menu for records?

Since it's a rosette, it could be misinterpreted as simply an indication that the level has been completed. A medal or trophy graphic would present the same issue. I'd probably suggest something like an open book, or maybe a document with bullet points (although these might be a bit too "office-y").

I'll have a think about this one and see if I can come up with anything.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2020, 03:28:48 AM »
Since it's a rosette, it could be misinterpreted as simply an indication that the level has been completed.

In a sense, it doubles as this as well, since it's only shown once the level is completed (as no records exist prior to this - well, I guess lemmings saved still does).
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2020, 03:42:06 AM »
In a sense, it doubles as this as well, since it's only shown once the level is completed

Absolutely, but this is all the more reason why it could be misinterpreted. Perhaps if it was always shown (and just links to an empty records view if the level hasn't been played), this would give clear indication that it isn't a "level completed" medal.

Another option could be to simply have the word "Records" displayed in a button, which changes colour when hovered-over to indicate that it's meant to be clicked.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2020, 03:44:41 AM »
Proxima also suggested using the word. It feels awkard to me, but with two people now suggesting it, perhaps it's worth trying out.

To be clear - for the next update, that graphic, as well as talisman icons, are now clearly clickable buttons rather than seeming to just be inert images.
My Lemmings projects