Author Topic: The Video Game Music Challenge [Suggestion and Discussion]  (Read 12481 times)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
The Video Game Music Challenge [Suggestion and Discussion]
« on: July 16, 2020, 02:55:07 AM »
Welcome to the Video Game Music Challenge Discussion! This thread is ONLY for the discussion of the general rules and regulations for how this game could work.

New Modified Ideas For The Challenge

1) Starting on July 20, 2020 you will be given three short descriptions of a certain type of video game music, and it's up to you to write down the title of one specific video game track from one specific video game that matches each description and essentially creating a list of three different video game tracks. Links to your music track choices such as one on YouTube for others to listen to is not required but highly recommended! Finally, please post your list into a spoiler tag so that people that have already posted their own list can look but people that haven't posted their list yet won't be accidentally influenced.

2) You will have roughly three days to not only get your list of titles posted but in the meantime everyone is encouraged to discuss everyone's choices and list.

3) After that three day cycle another set of descriptions will be posted. This challenge will roughly end when general interest starts to die down, in the hopes that sometime in the future someone else will take over and revive the challenge!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:27:49 PM by Nessy »

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
Re: The 30-Day Video Game Music Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 03:12:12 AM »
I already post a vgm a day on the discord so... why not? ;)

I feel as though it'd be better if we posted our picks each day in the thread here. That way there's ongoing discussion about it rather than dead air for 30 days. Also, if the list is compiled personally and then given to you, there's not much point in spreading it out over 30 days. I can curate the whole list in an hour or two and then just sit on it for 30 days, and nobody would know the difference...
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
This sounds awesome! Count me in!

My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
Glad to see people are interested :)

One very important thing to note is that after reading some feedback I think this challenge should be tweaked a little bit. Instead of having one song description each day and then having all the dead air during the 30-day period... my new proposal is to have a certain number of descriptions (most likely 3 to 5) posted on here and then allow everyone who wants to participate to post their favorite video game track that matches each description (so they will have a list of 3 to 5, basically the final number of descriptions we decide on) and then allow a few days for everyone to discuss them before moving on to another set of descriptions.

I'm wondering if this would strike a better balance and essentially be more engaging than the "one a day" idea?

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
In any case this sounds very exciting! :D
But I also do not see the point in posting all 30 privately first. I would think it unlikely that I'm going to read through everyone's picks if it's so much at once! More than one at once might be a good idea though, because this forum doesn't seem to get too much daily activity. I'm very curious for the descriptions, but I won't check them yet. ;) I'm not sure why you already put them all in, though. :P

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: The Video Game Music Challenge [Suggestion and Discussion]
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
Quote from: 607
I'm not sure why you already put them all in, though. :P

Me neither :P I actually don't know what I'm doing :8():

But in all seriousness it seems that people prefer my new proposal so I think I'll leave this thread as the "suggestion and discussion of that suggestion" thread and start up a brand new thread with the true forum game this Monday, July 20th. I will go ahead and update the original post anyway so that people can still read both the original and new ideas and provide last minute feedback.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:01:01 PM by Nessy »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »
I think I will be joining as well.

I think this challenge will become much more interesting if we can gather people who enjoy very different types of games. 

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 08:17:38 PM »
I'd suggest bring back one idea from the original: Keep the "submit via PM" system. This reduces the chance of people's decisions influencing each other (and thus may lead to more variety in the results).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »
Quote from: namida
I'd suggest bring back one idea from the original: Keep the "submit via PM" system. This reduces the chance of people's decisions influencing each other (and thus may lead to more variety in the results).

Honestly I think I want to avoid the "submit via PM" system for now. If this was more of a legit competition instead of a silly, for fun kind of thing then submitting responses via PM will definitely have to be done. Of course, this can change if others want that system, or even if a few rounds of the game in action show that a system like this is needed.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 12:37:06 AM »
An alternative to PM submissions would be to have a rule requiring that two people can't submit the same VGM for the same category. This slightly privileges whoever manages to post first, but not by much, considering the amount of VGM out there is vastly more than the number of people taking part.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
My thought is less about people directly copying each other, and more about influence. For example - someone else posts a track from FF7. Now I have FF7 on my mind and might be more likely to consider FF7 tracks myself.

Given that it is more a just-for-fun thing without winners / etc though, perhaps simply using spoiler tags is enough to avert this effect, and simply use the "ask nicely" approach with regards to not viewing other people's answers before posting one's own.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 12:11:45 PM »
An alternative to PM submissions would be to have a rule requiring that two people can't submit the same VGM for the same category. This slightly privileges whoever manages to post first, but not by much, considering the amount of VGM out there is vastly more than the number of people taking part.
I disagree with this idea, I think it would be fun if several people happen to choose the same tune independently.
My thought is less about people directly copying each other, and more about influence. For example - someone else posts a track from FF7. Now I have FF7 on my mind and might be more likely to consider FF7 tracks myself.

Given that it is more a just-for-fun thing without winners / etc though, perhaps simply using spoiler tags is enough to avert this effect, and simply use the "ask nicely" approach with regards to not viewing other people's answers before posting one's own.
Yeah, I think using spoiler tags would be quite enough. :)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 11:53:10 PM »
Soooooo..... what do we have to do?

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 02:17:05 AM »
Quote from: namida

Oooooh I see what you mean now... okay yeah that's true, and I think the spoiler tag is a good idea and a nice common ground.

Quote from: WillLem
Soooooo..... what do we have to do?

I updated the original post now to include the spoiler tag rule. Everything should (hopefully) be final now :)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
3 out of the 6 prompts so far have involved picking your favourite track in your category. Are you planning to do a lot of these? They are interesting, but also limiting, I feel. It will be interesting to see if people's favourite themes will often be the same or will be different, but what's more fun to me about this game is sharing music you would like to share (fitting to the topic) and getting to know new songs. With a 'favourite' prompt, you are completely restricted in what track to post, and it might not be a track you would like to share. Also, I'm not sure yet if this is the case, but I expect that with a 'favourite' prompt the variety in tracks will be smaller, and you are less likely to get to know new tracks (actually, to my surprise, this seems to not be the case, looking at others' replies to Round 2).
What do other people think about this? I haven't looked at the list that used to be in the OP as we weren't supposed to, so I don't know what Nessy was planning, but I honestly hadn't expected any 'favourite' prompts, and so far half have been so. :P Regardless, this game is still fun so far! Especially listening and replying to other's picks.:thumbsup: