Author Topic: Coming Soon: Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings by WillLem  (Read 6853 times)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Coming Soon: Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings by WillLem
« on: October 24, 2019, 09:10:00 PM »
COMING SOON! A sequel to Colorful Arty's awesome Reverse Lemmings!

Based on Oh No! More Lemmings, the concept is simple - each level has exactly the same layout as the original game, but the entrance and exit have been swapped!

In most cases, this leads to a completely different level solution. The skillsets have been adapted accordingly and, in some cases, aspects of the level have been slightly adjusted to make the level possible the other way around.

I aimed for this to be as clever and difficult as the original, and even went so far as to try to incorporate solutions which allude to the names of the levels. For example, Havoc's Welcome to the party, pal! features a solution which requires two Lemmings working together, etc...

I've finally finished editing all of the levels and I'm now as completely happy as I can be with this level pack! :thumbsup: :laugh:

I need some help, however. Whilst my Lemmings playing and design skills are good enough to have created the levels in the first place, I could do with some guidance getting the pack to work in NeoLemmix.

So far, I can get the levels to appear in the NL directory, and even in their relevant subgroups. However, the subgroups are named 1 - Tame, 2 - Crazy, 3 - Wild, etc and the level names don't appear at all. Furthermore, they're all in the wrong order...

I followed Namida's instructions (https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4335.msg77545#msg77545) to the letter but I'm not getting a title screen or level names. Also, the music seems to have a mind of its own and is just playing the standard Lemmings rotation rather than the Oh No! music.

I have attached my levels.nxml, music.nxml and info.nxml files plus an example of a levels.nxml file from the 1 - Tame subfolder (all other subfolders contain a similar file) - are there any errors here? Also attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing in NeoLemmix.

Can't wait to get this pack shared!

Thanks for your help,

-WillLem 8-)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Soon: Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings by WillLem
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
Well, the obvious thing would be removing the ".txt" in the file names. For example my packs simply have "info.nxmi". Again, I advice to use existing packs as blueprints.

Also, even though namida stated that it's outdated, I personally still use the PackToolkit to create packs as I just find it much easier and quicker to use than to write files. I attached my version of this.

EDIT: Be careful saving with the toolkit -- it deletes and re-writes everything new inside a pack folder!

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:29:00 PM »
You flatter me. When I look back at Reverse Lemmings, I see a lot of not-so-great levels. :P
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:44:04 PM »
Titles don't show up for LVL files in the level select menu. I'm not going to bother to fix that as it doesn't actually interfere with playing or converting them, and support for them is going to be dropped altogether in the near-ish future anyway (as in, about 9 - 10 months from now).

LVL files are a very outdated format and should not be used - you should use one of the methods I outlined in your other topic to convert them to the current NXLV format. Support is there to allow people to get older content converted; it's not intended for the purpose of continuing to use old formats for new content for any reason.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »
You flatter me. When I look back at Reverse Lemmings, I see a lot of not-so-great levels. :P

I thoroughly enjoyed playing through them, it's a great concept and a fun way to enjoy a loved & treasured game in a new and interesting way. Hats off to you!

Whilst you're here... I'm trying to get the levels compiled so that they open as a pack in SuperLemmini. I am using your levelpack.ini for Reverse Lemmings as a blueprint and there's a few things I'm not sure about:

- what exactly does the <#path = lvl_reve> line refer to?
- is the <codeSeed = MIRRORMODE> line necessary?
- similarly, are the first few lines referring to web addresses necessary?
- for levels, just wondering what exactly is being referred to in the following line:

# Level 0 - Fun
# Fun 1 -  Just dig!
fun_0  = 101 - Just Dig!.ini,0

Finally, are the .ini files for each level necessary or can I just include the .lvl files? Or... can .lvl be converted to .ini?

I could really do with some tips on how to get your head around this. If you're happy to answer these questions it would be a massive help!

I've attached the levels.ini file for easy reference.

Cheers,

-WillLem 8-)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:51:25 PM »
Well, the obvious thing would be removing the ".txt" in the file names. For example my packs simply have "info.nxmi". Again, I advice to use existing packs as blueprints.

Also, even though namida stated that it's outdated, I personally still use the PackToolkit to create packs as I just find it much easier and quicker to use than to write files. I attached my version of this.

EDIT: Be careful saving with the toolkit -- it deletes and re-writes everything new inside a pack folder!

Titles don't show up for LVL files in the level select menu. I'm not going to bother to fix that as it doesn't actually interfere with playing or converting them, and support for them is going to be dropped altogether in the near-ish future anyway (as in, about 9 - 10 months from now).

LVL files are a very outdated format and should not be used - you should use one of the methods I outlined in your other topic to convert them to the current NXLV format. Support is there to allow people to get older content converted; it's not intended for the purpose of continuing to use old formats for new content for any reason.

OK, thanks. I'll get on this ASAP, I think this is going to make everything a lot easier. Convert to .nxlv and use the toolkit (which is very friendly btw).

I won't post any more questions until I've done this. Feel free to delete old irrelevant posts.

Cheers,

-WillLem 8-)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 10:04:48 PM »
Ok, I think a quick heads up in terms of formats is nessesary here:

".ini" levels: Format used for Lemmini and SuperLemmini only. Can be converted to ".lvl" with the Lemmix/ old format NL editor.

".lvl" levels: Format used for Lemmix and very old NL versions. Can be converted to the newest ".nxlvl" format with the newest NL editor (not to ".ini").

".nxlv" levels: Format used by the up-to-date new format NL versions.

For packs:

Lemmini and SuperLemmini packs only accept ".ini" levels.

Lemmix and very old NL versions use ".lvl" levels or in the NL case old ".nxp" packs.

New format NeoLemmix only uses ".nxlv", otherwise you already saw that it doesn't work properly.

OK, thanks. I'll get on this ASAP, I think this is going to make everything a lot easier. Convert to .nxlv and use the toolkit (which is very friendly btw).

Again be careful where you save with the toolkit. Better make a backup.

Insert your data, save inside the pack's already created empty folder (inside NL's levels folder) when you are ready.

You can also open/load a folder inside NL's levels folder with it to edit a pack.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 10:27:46 PM »
".lvl" levels: Format used for Lemmix and very old NL versions. Can be converted to the newest ".nxlvl" format with the newest NL editor (not to ".ini").

So... old .lvl levels can be converted using the new NL Editor? I have the latest version and can't use it to open .lvl files. Hence all of this, really. It seems I have to use older software to make the necessary conversions (totally my fault for insisting on playtesting using SuperLemmini).

If you know of a way to convert them using the new Editor, please let me know!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:44:34 PM by WillLem »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »
So... old .lvl levels can be converted using the new NL Editor? I have the latest version and can't use it to open .lvl files. Hence all of this, really. It seems I have to use older software to make the necessary conversions.

Well, that's what was said quite a few times in various topics. :P   It can open .lvl but can only save in .nxlv.

Just open the .lvl file, it's as simple as that. Just have it search for .lvl files indeat of .nxlv files while searching for the levels. There might be a few inaccuracies though, double check the level afterwards it might need minor adjustments.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 10:47:47 PM »
So... old .lvl levels can be converted using the new NL Editor? I have the latest version and can't use it to open .lvl files. Hence all of this, really. It seems I have to use older software to make the necessary conversions.

Well, that's what was said quite a few times in various topics. :P   It can open .lvl but can only save in .nxlv.

Just open the .lvl file, it's as simple as that. Just have it search for .lvl files indeat of .nxlv files while searching for the levels. There might be a few inaccuracies though, double check the level afterwards it might need minor adjustments.

I wish I could! It isn't opening the .lvl files, unfortunately... no idea why, I'm not using any custom graphics or anything.

All this because I prefer the SuperLemmini interface to NeoLemmix :forehead slap:

I promise, as soon as all of this is sorted I'll get all up to date and stop using the older formats to create stuff!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »
Ok, I've attached a video of me opening an .lvl level with the editor now.

For record I use the V12.6.5 editor (https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4339.0) and NOT the one of the experimental release candidate V.12.7.0-RC (https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4444.0), as V.12.7.0-RC is still in experimental testing. BTW, as I read this question popping up: Cleanse levels is F8 on the main menu there.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 11:16:30 PM »
Ok, I've attached a video of me opening an .lvl level with the editor now.

For record I use the V12.6.5 editor (https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4339.0) and NOT the one of the experimental release candidate V.12.7.0-RC (https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4444.0), as V.12.7.0-RC is still in experimental testing. BTW, as I read this question popping up: Cleanse levels is F8 on the main menu there.

Thanks for this, I have attached a video of it not working for me. Literally no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've also attached one of the levels, are you happy to see if you can open it and let me know either way?

I tried F8 from the main manu and located the newly created "Cleanse" folder, but my levels aren't in there. I've asked about this on the other topic for now.

Cheers,

-WillLem :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:34:56 PM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 05:25:22 AM »
I confirmed recently that there's a bug opening LVL levels with the editor at the moment, at least in V1.15 (the editor that comes with V12.7.0-RC) - not tested personally for V1.14.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
I've downloaded your level (LVL00.lvl) and I can simply open it with my editor. It's Tame 1 with the entrance and exit swapped. Also for the pack conversion, if you get to that stage: Try to reduce the levelsize to the actual playing area. Nobody needs 1600 pixels everytime.

There seems to be something wrong specifically with your version. Could you maybe give a download link with your whole NL folder so we can try to examine it. There should be something wrong somewhere, given that there were already misunderstanding with all the different engines and stuff.

I noticed in your video that your files don't have ".lvl" at the end while loading, maybe that could be a reason. I am slowly starting to run out of ideas though. :P

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
Success! I've re-installed NL 12.6.5 and Editor 1.14 and the editor can now open my levels. Currently converting them all to .nxlv and editing the sizes, as suggested! (EDIT - this is soooo much easier than the old editor!!! - I hope the PackToolKit gets an update as well ;))

Thanks for your help and patience guys.

Oh No! More Reverse Lemmings COMING SOOOOON!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-WillLem 8-)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:51:23 AM by WillLem »