Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] The new NeoLemmix Community Pack Topic  (Read 35063 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] The new NeoLemmix Community Pack Topic
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
Get the latest Alpha build here: Current NeoLemmix Community Pack Collection

Big news!

I've sorted, looked at and evaluated everything I have gathered so far. The result is a ROUGHLY sorted pack of the current state. Important:

- I sorted the levels into 7 ranks for now. The rank ammount is not final!
- The ammount of level in each rank is not final!
- I have not included any music, but at the moment have also not changed any spefified tracks! They MOST LIKELY will change though!
- The levels are very roughly sorted by difficulty. This is by no means final and will be a main discussion point later on. I am willing to discuss major positrion changes of a level now, but as levels will still be added and positions are likely to changed anyway duw to new levels or a restructoring of the ranks only major misplacements will be considered for now!
- The current difficulty rating is based on the evaluation of the submitted intended solution replay that was send in by the author!
- If you find backroutes post them here + send them to the author as they need to fix them personally and then resubmit the level. If the author is no longer present I or a possible volunteer will take over.
- All levels are solvable and I posses a functional replay of the intended solution. I have also watched them all and I am not totally blind here anymore!
- I have excluded a very small amount of levels due to:
    A) Too many levels of an author being in an difficulty area and I want to avoid having like 10 levels of only one author in an area - in this case I excluded the "weaker" ones. I rather have more
        authors involved as this is still a Community effort and I don't want half the pack/rank be "Icho" or "namida" levels for example.
        We can still discuss about excluding/replacing certain levels because of this!
    B) Variations of a level being very similar to each other. In this case I took the "most interesting" one.
    C) Levels being a remake and VERY similar to the original.
- I have slightly changed a very very small amount of single levels due to:
    A) Backgrounds being so disorienting that the level is difficult to look at/play.
    Be assured that I only take action in the more extreme cases here as I do want to preserve the author's work/spirit to highlight the different styles. At some point though actions should take
      place due to general quality conrol though!

The current state of the pack:

- 135 total levels
- Considering a 7 rank distribution:
    - 23 rank 1 levels
    - 22 rank 2 levels
    - 21 rank 3 levels
    - 15 rank 4 levels
    - 20 rank 5 levels
    - 19 rank 6 levels
    - 15 rank 7 levels

What you can do now:

- Playtest the current levels to find backroutes
- Submit new levels and maybe take into consideration which difficulty section needs the most levels.
- Check if I have included the most recent version of your submission. If not ---> send me an update! (level+replay)
- Inform me about errors.
- Discuss serious misplacements of levels difficulty wise.
- Discuss a possible distribution of ranks and levels inside a rank.
- Discuss over exclusion or changes to already submitted levels. In this case the reasoning needs to be strong and involvement of the author in the discussion is highly appreciated. A simple "it's too hard" or "I don't like it" is not enough!

To submit levels (converted old ones and new ones):

You will have to send me:

- The level in the new NL format.

- A solving replay with the intended solution. (no replay - no submission)

- Any needed non-standard tileset. (if nessesary)

Music tracks are optional.

I want to make sure that even if an author goes away the intended solution doesn't get lost and therefore the level gets forgotten.
Also please try to resend levels or replays if they need changes in fututre NL versions. Check your levels, I would really appreciate that!

About logo, rank sign and graphical things:

Do not waste your time now and create something for the Alpha version!

Rank amounts will change and I won't simply include graphical things because you are the first to submit.
This will be tackled after we got ALL levels, came to a conclusion about rank amount and how many levels are inside ranks.
Then I will most likely create an extra topic where people can prepare and submit suggestion on which we will first discuss and give feedback on which the authors then can react. At the last step will will hold a vote.

In the end nothing is stopping you from replacing the end result anyway and customise. ;)

Let's talk music:

I won't include 150 songs for 150 levels as an example, that's simply not practical. You can however send me fitting music for levels. I will open a music discussion when we finished gathering so we can all come to a conclusion on the music tracks we will use. There is room for a few totally unique tracks in the pack though for some of the flashier levels or rank finishers.

My rough plan here is to gather a music collection sorted by theme for the pack. That means we will gather a few "spacey" tracks, a few "dark" or "melancolic" tacks, a few "happy" ones, a bunch of "general" type ones (you see that the themes can be quite broad),.....etc
This will have the result that we can most likely select a few fitting tracks for each type of level so that the track fits the theme of the level.
Again, I will most likely open an extra topic for this after the pack has all its levels. Then people can submit tacks and we can discuss which ones we include in the collection. Be aware that the tracks shoud at least fit the general theme of a lemmings game. An example would be that a track with lyric can be very distracting.

I am against a standard rotation though as I this will most likely result in levels having very unfitting tracks at times, or our tracks have to be VERY general without much of a mood.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:03:41 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The new NeoLemmix Community Pack Topic
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
reserved
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:08:17 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] The new NeoLemmix Community Pack Topic
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
I no longer wish "Tell me the way to DMA" to be included in this pack.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
I no longer wish "Tell me the way to DMA" to be included in this pack.

Well it isn't included at the moment.

I think I will make this a bit clearer:

The 2nd post only list the old submisssions as I stated. As stated in 1.): For levels to become part again they need to be resubmitted in the new format with a solution replay.

So simply don't resubmit it and it's all fine. ;)

I think I will add that statement in my first post.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:38:50 PM »
Here's some levels from my not-used-in-Lemmings-Plus-levels collection that might be useful from various sources - contest submissions, pre-Lemmings Plus packs, and a few levels I specifically made for NLC.

I also further have some levels that were in Lemmings Plus packs but were later removed (either to replace with a different level, or some still-viable levels from packs that as a whole were mostly non-viable with newer NL versions - including in some cases, non-viable levels that I made new levels out of). I want to keep a few of these on hand, in case of further need to replace levels in older packs due to NL updates, but I probably have more of them saved up than I actually need so will look through them and submit some at a later point.

Replays and needed style files are included. Only one of these levels (a special graphics level) has custom music, the music is included. I'll probably resubmit Crystal Light later with the lemming count reduced, it doesn't need 100 lemmings but it was created before the preference for lower lemming counts was established.

EDIT: Attachment removed; reuploaded better copy in a later post.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:18:26 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 09:20:54 AM »
Hey, I didn't realise I uploaded some of my levels onto the pack. I've just re-downloaded them today; however they need to be reformatted. Is there a link to help me convert these levels into the new nxlv format? I can't find it.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
"Mind the Gap" I believe is an old version - here is the latest version with a replay.

I don't currently have access to my files for the two Precarious Construction levels, but if you can provide the raw level files, I will attempt to convert them and re-solve them.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »
Hey, I didn't realise I uploaded some of my levels onto the pack. I've just re-downloaded them today; however they need to be reformatted. Is there a link to help me convert these levels into the new nxlv format? I can't find it.

I suspect you already have a new format NL editor+player.

Simply load the .lvl files with the new editor (you will have to set the file search to .lvl opontrying to find the files) -- then save them again and they will be in the new format as the new editor can only save in the new format.

F12 will start the playtest mode so you you can test your levels and make a solution replay (hotkey U inside the player).

I don't currently have access to my files for the two Precarious Construction levels, but if you can provide the raw level files, I will attempt to convert them and re-solve them.

I attached the 2 levels in the old format.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
Here's some levels from my not-used-in-Lemmings-Plus-levels collection that might be useful from various sources - contest submissions, pre-Lemmings Plus packs, and a few levels I specifically made for NLC.

I also further have some levels that were in Lemmings Plus packs but were later removed (either to replace with a different level, or some still-viable levels from packs that as a whole were mostly non-viable with newer NL versions - including in some cases, non-viable levels that I made new levels out of). I want to keep a few of these on hand, in case of further need to replace levels in older packs due to NL updates, but I probably have more of them saved up than I actually need so will look through them and submit some at a later point.

Replays and needed style files are included. Only one of these levels (a special graphics level) has custom music, the music is included. I'll probably resubmit Crystal Light later with the lemming count reduced, it doesn't need 100 lemmings but it was created before the preference for lower lemming counts was established.

Replays and level files seem to be ok, but it seems you made a mistake in terms of styles and music.

The music folder only contains a terrain folder with various special graphics and the styles folder also just a terrain folder with 1 png.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »
Here are the updated levels.  The conversion wasn't perfect because some of the pieces seemed to move around by a few units - I tried my best to correct them, but there may be some minor graphical differences.  Still, the solutions work as attached.

Music can be changed if necessary.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »
Here's a fixed version. I also included the ex-Lemmings Plus levels - I decided that, since NL is probably pretty stable for now, I may as well throw all of them in, aside from those that were repeat versions of levels that are still in LP.

(The exception is "Plentiful Plans", which I did make a viable non-gimmick version of, but decided not to include here as I made a very similar level in LPVI.)

Aside from removing music and adding the proper author tag where applicable (the only level that should have specific music listed is the VGASPEC-type one), the only level in here that's changed from my first upload is Crystal Light, where I reduced the lemming count from 100 to 40.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 01:28:30 AM »
Here's another spare level. Not a particularly hard one, but might make for a nice puzzle for an early rank.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
So then, I thought I might look over my levels here. It turns out that only two out of my four are still possible under NeoLemmix, both being OhNo remakes, and the rest may need to be dumped into this thread. Both levels and solutions attached.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 02:19:54 PM »
Even if Minim posted minutes before my post here was finished I think this still holds true ;):

As resubmitting levels seems to be not very popular amoung the former contributers to say the least, I've got another plan. ;)

How about I take what I have gathered right now and go on a journey through all of the level design contests and LOTY final phases and make a nice best-of list (like top ~4-6 for each event). Then I will order the list by creators and contact the people directly via pm to submit the levels+replays. If I get no reply at all I will count this as "I don't want my levels to be submitted".

After I gathered the most popular levels I think a good baseline for a pack has been created. Of course this process will take a bit as I am also involved in other things here. Furthermore I am happy for any additional submissions/resubmissions in the meantime. :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 03:52:15 AM »
I've gone ahead and converted Test Chamber. I also plan on eventually converting Lem-17 Bomber and One Way Rock.

As for the other two levels, I have no plans of updating them at this time. However, if you still want them, go ahead and PM me and I'll send updated versions + replays for them.