Author Topic: The Soundtrack of Lemmings, re-done in FL Studio  (Read 6363 times)

Offline MandelSoft

• View Profile
The Soundtrack of Lemmings, re-done in FL Studio
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been busy with reworking the soundtrack from the first two Lemmings games, converting them from simple MIDI format into a richer sound environment in FL Studio. All tracks are in OGG format and ready to use for NeoLemmix. At the moment, I've made a conversion of all standard level tracks from both the Original Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings.

Most tracks from the Original Lemmings soundtrack were easy to convert, where I just had to assign instruments from my soundfont to each channel and mastering the mix. However, some tracks required re-arrangement (i.e. "Tenlems") and some had no proper MIDI arrangements to begin with (i.e. "Doggie", "Tim10" and all Oh No tracks). For these I had to make the composition myself and I hope you like these re-imagined versions. I have yet to make satisfying arrangements for the special level tracks and I think I have to modify the original compositions a lot for some of those. I may post them later when I'm happy with them.

The Original soundtrack may appear out of order, because I arranged them in the order they appeared in the DOS version of Lemmings, the version I'm most familiar with before any new ports of the game.

Special thanks to Minim his work on making MIDI versions of the Oh No! More Lemmings soundtrack. I haven't copied his tracks 1:1, but some melody lines were certainly helpful to complement the ones I created myself, and credit needs to be given were credit is due. ;)
And of course, the original port of Lemmings for Windows provided most of the Original soundtrack, so that was also greatly appreciated.

Anyway, here are the links to the new tracks
Original Lemmings: https://mega.nz/#!PVJSwAqa!le0XH8nV5dOw3owNr66WOEEGnYv2fQGLpjpeIjxqdO0
Oh No! More Lemmings: https://mega.nz/#!yJR2UaLB!N8OJHyWa6TxWxuclGxe_XXx4GfZLk0mPiCVJvfYIGrs

Feel free to use them in your level packs (with credits of course) or just as a replacement for the soundtrack. I'd love to hear some feedback about it. Any (constructive) criticism is welcome! And most of all: have fun with it!

MandelSoft
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:10:09 PM by MandelSoft »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Soundtrack of Lemmings, re-done in FL Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
Wow these sound very nice and more importantly: Different! :thumbsup:

I think that's what some interpretations are missing, but these sound like their own unique style in my opinion.

I would also vote for (with your blessing of course) including them on the homepage: https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=music_packs

They would be a worthy addition, as they stand out from the rest. ;)

And I think I am gonna change my standard track rotation in Neolemmix to this for a while. ;P

Also, welcome to the forum! :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:07 PM »
Cool, it's always nice to have more versions of these iconic tracks available! :thumbsup: And certainly a great host gift from a new member. Welcome to the forums!

I'm going to upload my "handmade", band recordings of the Lemmings tracks soon as well - together with the Lemmings World Tour release. I guess I won't mind other people using them, just like you; I simply want to make sure I'm the first one who does so ^^.

My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Pretty awesome way to make an entrance. These sound very good. :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
These are great, especially the OhNo ones!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:12:09 PM »
Cool. :) Some sound very similar to the MIDI's, but I suppose that's not too strange, if you used them as a basis. (I haven't checked out the Oh No! More Lemmings download, as I don't know those very well)
Edit: I don't like how the 'How much is that doggie in the window?' melody isn't in there anymore. That's a bit much of a creative liberty to take, when the melody is actually an existing melody.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:27:21 PM by 607 »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
Hey, MandelSoft. Welcome to the forums!

You're welcome about the MIDI conversions of OhNo. I hope you enjoyed listening to them as well as taking advice from them.

From a composer's point of view, this music is outstanding! 8-) Listened to every one of them. Certainly some nice harmonies in most of the songs. I understand how diffcult you found it recreating the Doggie song, as I recall 607 pointing out that some of the notes in the main part of the tune were out of place. Maybe you were trying to recreate the DOS version? Apart from that, good solid work.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 10:06:48 PM »
I had a short listen and they sound great! :thumbsup: As I listen to all of them I can give you more feedback later. I'd love to hear more from you. 8-)

EDIT: I paid most attention to the originals/onml and tim's songs (my favorites)
excellent work; I like the nuances you added!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:36:51 PM by mobius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline MandelSoft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
Hello again, everyone! Sorry for the late reply, as I'm involved in a modding project for another game and I do this as a side project ;)

Glad to see people liking the work I did. I do see some critiques about my adapdations. A few tracks I'd like to comment on from my point of view:
  • Orig_02 "Lemming2":  The soundscape of this one doesn't fit in that nicely with the rest of the tracks. The melody lines were not suitable enough for "classical" instruments, so I had to resort to electronic instruments.
  • Orig_05 "Twang": This is one of my favourite adaptations. I took something from the DOS version (mainly the main key and key change in the middle) and some from the MIDI version and some of my own (the instrumentation and the re-arranged percussion).
  • Orig_07 "Tim1": I prefer the more friendly sounding DOS version over the MIDI version, so I tried to replicate that.
  • Orig_08 "Tim2": Same as above
  • Orig_12 "Doggie": My least favourite adaptation, since I had little idea what to do with it. I tried to work with the DOS and MOD version of the track, and both are really weird. There is no MIDI version of this track. If you think it doesn't sound great, then it's you and me both...
  • Orig_15 "Dance of the Little Swans": The version in Lemmings sounds a lot darker than the original song, and I kept that darkness around. I actually like it that way. I mean, a game sending lemmings to their impending doom needs a more suitable dark soundtrack :P
  • Ohno_1:I used some of Minim's melody lines for supporting instruments, but I mainly stuck to my own melody line and song structure. But Minim's melody lines surely gave this track a richer soundscape.
  • Ohno_3: I mixed Minim's melody lines and my own in this one, and I cross-checked it with the DOS version. I'm happy with the result!
  • Ohno_5: I always wanted to have a good modern version of this one! I absolutely love this track and it deserved to have a better version. I mainly used the DOS version for my melody lines instead of the MOD version. I had an extra piano in there, but I actually removed it, because it was overkill. Less is more ;)

Now, I've completed the music from the special levels as well. Though I'm not completely happy with the Beast level music, I like the other two. For Menacing, I actually toned it down a bit, by adding more quiet parts in the percussion, because I don't want to tire my audience and it makes the piece more dynamic.

I also converted 5 Lemmings Paintball tracks: Marimba, Spdbass, SongX, Swingy and Nice1. Especially SongX feels like a track that could fit nicely in an older Lemmings game. Some of the other tracks of Paintball were not really suitable for conversion in my opinion. The biggest hurdle with these tracks is that the original versions are not looped, so I changed them up a bit so that they could play in a loop. Feel free to use these tracks in your custom level packs ;)

Download links:
Original Special levels: https://mega.nz/#!6IQHHYLC!N6CwTb3hKFVDNwFbDvF_QgpOewTSOHjHPI1_6m0mpgg
Paintball: https://mega.nz/#!TFJDEYIQ!dylp7xgxHAeTUkABtjWausJx-PqymVeGQcLgR_XrwaI

I would also vote for (with your blessing of course) including them on the homepage: https://www.neolemmix.com/?page=music_packs
By all means, I'd be honoured! :D

EDIT:
Cool, it's always nice to have more versions of these iconic tracks available! :thumbsup: And certainly a great host gift from a new member. Welcome to the forums!

I'm going to upload my "handmade", band recordings of the Lemmings tracks soon as well - together with the Lemmings World Tour release. I guess I won't mind other people using them, just like you; I simply want to make sure I'm the first one who does so ^^.
I just went to check it out. I always love to hear different versions of tracks, and bonus points for playing it on actual instruments, now that's some dedication! :lem-mindblown: (It sounds like you went for the metal-flavoured versions of these tracks)

Have fun!
MandelSoft
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:26:21 PM by MandelSoft »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
Thanks, glad you like them! ;) Yes, most of them are certainly metal-inspired, but not all of them. Rent a Lemming (ONML 02) is blues rock, then there are two country adaptations (Undercover Lemming and Coming Round the Mountain), Builders will help you here is funk, and How Much Is That Doggie is a littly more jazzy. You're likely going to hear that on Arty's next Lemmings World Tour LP video.

I'm looking forward to checking out the changes you've made to your versions! ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:09:50 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Zoinked

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »
These are really cool, thanks!